1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OL or WR? Looky here...

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by RFIP, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

I'm with Burwell, we need "big nasties" to punch defenses in the mouth.

Watkins will be a rookie next year which means he'll have a lot to learn. He won't dominate like you think.

Givens had a down year last year. His rookie season he had 5 consecutive games with a 50+ yard gainer. I'm willing bank on him and Bailey. An incredible OL only helps them. Quick needs more reps, not less. Watkins doesn't help that cause.

In the end we are a run first team with multiple PM's to catch the ball. It makes WAY MORE sense to draft the nastiest OL'man in the draft rather than a WR. Rams taking a look at Britt seals it for me. Watkins will not be a Ram.

rhinobean likes this.
  2. Boffo97 Well-Known Member

Not at all. I'm just poking fun at the huffy "And that analysis might mean something if blah blah blah blah blah" approach you chose to use instead of a more civil approach to disagreeing with the analysis' validity. But whatever. Let's move on.

WRs generally may not be AS important as those other positions, but it's a lot less unheard of for a WR to go #10 than a guard.

I don't lump linemen together. I asked in another thread but was never answered... would you draft an "elite" center in the top 10? Or do you hold off, knowing that there are others who will contribute almost as much to the bottom line that you can get for far less draft capital?

3. Boffo97 Well-Known Member

That's a valid opinion... (although I highly disagree that even if they take Britt, who would certainly be on a cheap 1 year contract that it would close the door on Watkins, any more than taking another guard or a tackle now closes the door on Robinson/Matthews)

But you didn't address the main point of the post: If you take BOTH a top 10 G/T AND one of the better guards, who do you bench between them, Saffold and Barksdale? And is that a good idea?

4. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

And as started before, the old CBA played a role in what has happened in the past when it comes to where Guards have been selected. That and how the game was in years past where most teams focused on the run, pass protection was less of an issue and fewer defenses ran those creative blitz packages. Back in the day a teams best pass rusher typically played RE and went against the LT. Today, these guys are lined up and rush from all over the place.

Would I take an elite Center in the top ten? Under the new CBA, if he were the BPA on my draft board, I'd do it all day long and twice on draft day if I could. I'd want as many elite players on the team as possible.

And again, most of the WRs taken in the top 10 where rare physical freaks. And that is not Watkins.

5. Boffo97 Well-Known Member

And I think we've reached the point where it's come down to just opinion vs. opinion.

We'll see what the Rams do... but man, I wish it were next month and not May. ;)

6. iced Well-Known Member

so because I point out the factors around Ty Hilton like Reggie Wayne tearing his acl, you respond with this?

Well actually they've invested a lot more in the o-line when you think of jason brown, jacob bell, jake long, jason smith, scott wells....

I've yet to see a fat contract go to a receiver since drew bennett... the only thing we've done recently is add an all around playmaker in tavon (which was needed).

But if your argument is about spending money at the receiver position, you're just flat out wrong... not a single guy is out of their rookie contract and only 1 is a first round pick

7. iced Well-Known Member

I don't know - whats his target red zone target percentage? can't find them
    can't catch em either if you can't get open

I know he's dropped atleast one pass that should have went for 6... I'm sure every fan here remembers that drop

8. iced Well-Known Member

Ryan Clady isn't an elite LT? I'm pretty sure he's considered one of the best at his position... their center was pretty dam good too, despite being like their 5th one

Ahhh - therein lies the rub :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  9. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

We already have a tall,speedy pass catching TE :sneaky:
    I'll bet Evans is a better blocker though.

10. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Sorry, but wasn't the starting LT a good Chris Clark? I thought elite Ryan Clady was placed in IR during the season. Don't know anything about their center. Never heard of him. But, there RG Vasquez is pretty good.

11. iced Well-Known Member

You are correct sir - Clady only played two games. Forgot about that.... late night :D

but their centers all played well..

must have a dam good oline coach

and peyton was kept relatively clean most of the year - then again, the AFC is pretty much weak compared the NFC, especially the NFC West.

Wasn't there some crazy record about teams losing the week after playing an nfc west team?

12. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Funny. But, I'd take the 6-5, 231 lbs. Evans at WR over Watkins for this team any day.

13. iced Well-Known Member

I don't care if its Evans or watkins.

Give me one of those dam two! SOMEONE!

14. nighttrain Well-Known Member

from Iced;
    "Because apparently our starting #1 Receiver hasn't seen a touchdown in 22 Games, but yet that's some how supposed to be all on Clemens and the OL? So was that Clemens fault last year that Given's last touchdown was against Arizona (week 11)? Or are we just going to chalk it up to "rookie" year and move on."

personally I don't think givens is our #1 unless he starts catching passes underneath, and then maybe, just maybe, he may be our #1 or #2. As of now he's a receiver with very decent rookie year that did nothing in year 2
    train

15. nighttrain Well-Known Member

most snaps means nothing if the player does nothing
    train

iced likes this.
  16. iced Well-Known Member

He hasn't done in anything in the last 12 games with bradford.

10 games he had less than 60 yards, 6 of them he had less than 30 yards (a couple were in the teens).

zero touchdowns

That excuse just doesn't fly with me - he is what people thought he was, a one trick pony with questionable hands.. definitely not the route runner he was cracked up to be last training camp

Tavon Austin tied with Austin Pettis for the most touchdowns amongst receivers, so the height excuse doesn't work for me... and a lot of Ap's td's were in garbage time, and if i recall correctly, they were routes that required just getting open, not "using your size"

17. nighttrain Well-Known Member

it's all about concentration and eye on the ball, DO NOT hear footsteps
    train

Alan likes this.
  18. VARAMS New Member

Post from NFL.Com - it sums it up from my perspective:

Analysis: Rodger Saffold's return will plug one hole on the offensive line and his versatility means the Rams could address either tackle or guard in a strong OL draft. They have drafted several wide receivers in the last few years, but they still need a true No. 1 wide receiver. Tavon Austin has a bright future in the slot, but they still need a go-to-guy on the outside.

19. Ram_of_Old Guest

I have thought hard about it, and while I would love to see Watkins in horns, our major concern should be to keep Bradford upright. Robinson is my pick...

20. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

For the sake of Bradford, I think having a bunch of studs to pick and choose from when Long or Saffold go down is exactly what we need. Who thinks they're gonna be healthy for 19-20 games? If they ARE healthy for that long, we win the Super Bowl. So let's say we draft Robinson and Gabe Jackson. I'll give you a plethora of scenarios, buddy.

1.You sit Barrette Jones and Gabe Jackson.

Long-Robinson-Wells-Saffold-Barks

2. Long goes down

Saffold-Jackson-Wells-Robinson-Barks

3. Saffold fills in for Long, goes down in the first quarter. He's out for 4 games.

Robinson-Jones-Wells-Jackson-Barks

3. Long Returns the next week, Wells is out.

Long-Jackson-Jones-Robinson-Barks

You can't go wrong, here, man. The running game stays dominant, Sam stays clean, and the Rams continue their thunderous assault on the rest of the NFL. What we can't have is a lack of depth at OL of which screws us over every year. We block for Stacy and Bradford, great things will happen. Sam will pick apart any defense with the weapons we have. Teams CONNOT sit back in "prevent/give up the check down pass" defense because Stacy will murder them at the LOS behind our OL. They HAVE to cheat up because our running game will DOMINATE them if they don't. This is where our speed will kill them, too.

It's the way to go, bro. A completely balanced attack with the capability to do anything and the depth to withstand the rigors of the NFL season.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

BigRamFan likes this.