OL Justin Blalock is retiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a plan.... but here's the ony problem with that...

Opposing defenses are going to be well aware of our "greenness" on the line, especially when it comes to pass protect. I don't think it will take much for them to load the box and dare the Rams (Mason) to beat them mano-a-mano.

Maybe the kids will be able to do that.

But, if not? Then you have to rely on that very green line to protect Foles because - whether we like it or not - we may have to pass (especially if we get behind by 10 or more).

Foles has shown the ability to make quick throws in Kelly's system. Let them load the box, and then try to stop Austin, or Cook, or Britt, or Quick with only a couple of undersized guys to stop them. How long will a 190 pound CB last trying to tackle Cook going full speed? How will they stop Austin with most of the field open in front of him?

I guess what I'm saying to the other 31 teams is "I double dog dare you".

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sounds like a plan.... but here's the ony problem with that...

Opposing defenses are going to be well aware of our "greenness" on the line, especially when it comes to pass protect. I don't think it will take much for them to load the box and dare the Rams (Mason) to beat them mano-a-mano.

Maybe the kids will be able to do that.

But, if not? Then you have to rely on that very green line to protect Foles because - whether we like it or not - we may have to pass (especially if we get behind by 10 or more).
Good post. All true, but all OLinemen love to run block and DLines don't like to defend the run(generally speaking).
It's an easier learning curve to ask young OLineman to run block then it is to ask them to pass block(generally speaking in terms of technique).
Our personnel up front as everyone knows is designed to run block. Teams know this(as you said) and they will defend accordingly by loading up to stop the run. Thats fine. Thats the bed we've made by rebuilding our OLine in one offseason announcing to the league that we're going to be a smashmouth offense.

My point is simply that i can't think of a better plan considering the state of our roster(offensively) at the end of 2014 and what it is today going into 2015. IMO the long term plan is to become a fairly balanced offense but in the short term, due to the inexperience of our OLine, the absolute best way to minimize the growing pains is to:
a) run the ball alot and keep your QB upright
b) simplify the offense as a whole
c) get personnel who can execute a run heavy gameplan

Everything we've heard and seen in the offseason points to those things happening. If someone can think of a better way to move forward, find a way to manufacture wins early, progress your offense without getting your QB killed and completely destroying the confidence of your young OLineman i'm all ears.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
The failure of the Rams FO to address the O-line situation in the draft until last year will probably continue to haunt us for years to come. I see no good solution to this problem except to hope that what we did in the draft this year will pay IMMEDIATE dividends. Thinking that Mathis is the answer or that he will sign with us is wishful thinking IMO.

Although I wish we could get/afford him for this year. :(

Shit does happen though. A little bit of unpredictable bad luck has been tossed in there with injuries to Free Agents and drafted players.
At least we got G-ROB last year.

images

Going heavy in this draft had to happen, right wrong or indifferent......

I'm rooting for the "BRIGHTER" latter half of your synopsis.......IMMEDIATE DIVIDENDS BABY.
No haunting for years to come........
images

and stop the insanity....no more Free Agent "stop-gap" linemen........

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles has shown the ability to make quick throws in Kelly's system. Let them load the box, and then try to stop Austin, or Cook, or Britt, or Quick with only a couple of undersized guys to stop them. How long will a 190 pound CB last trying to tackle Cook going full speed? How will they stop Austin with most of the field open in front of him?

yes, it's all up to foles. last year the two qbs behind centre could not take advantage of the receivers streaking away from the dbs.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram misreading me:
Well i guess i should clarify the check mark Alan. The plan is to run the ball clearly this season, not drop Foles back and try to air it out all over the field with this OLine....which is smart = check

The Rams know they probably won't be able to excel at protecting the passer this season(especially early on, as our big uglies take their rookie lumps) so the staff has intelligently put together a philosophy/gameplan to minimize that damage. IMO.

They still need to be able to execute running the ball. That remains to be seen obviously.
I didn't word my original reply to you very well because that was me agreeing with you. :LOL: (y)

Alan

Legend
Alaskan Ram looking for the bright side:
crap does happen though. A little bit of unpredictable bad luck has been tossed in there with injuries to Free Agents and drafted players.
At least we got G-ROB last year.

Going heavy in this draft had to happen, right wrong or indifferent......

I'm rooting for the "BRIGHTER" latter half of your synopsis.......IMMEDIATE DIVIDENDS BABY.
No haunting for years to come........

and stop the insanity....no more Free Agent "stop-gap" linemen........
There were a couple of ways to skin that cat Alaska and had Long and Wells worked out I'd be calling Snisher a genius right now. Water under the bridge now though and I'll join you in hoping for the best. :)

I just hope they've learned their lessons well.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Can't say I blame him. To go from close to a $5 million base salary to perhaps close to the vet minimum to play in the trenches may be hard to swallow if one doesn't really need to the money.

Anyway, as stated previously, I watched the Rams almost beat Seattle with a starting OLine of LT Wayne Hunter, LG Quinn Ojinnaka, C Robert Turner, RG Harvey Dahl, RT Barry Richardson. And if Greg the Leg did his job, they would have won that game. So I'm still not worried about the OLine.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
1. Greg Robinson was very raw and had not done much in the passing game and was very young. Havenstein & Brown had a ton of starts at the collegiate level and the transition should not be as turbulent. I also felt Greg Robinson played very well considering, IMO, it was overstated with his struggles although he does need to be more cognizant of stunts.

2/3. As to depth concerns that is why they drafted four offensive linemen they actually have more depth now then they've ever had including a possible gem in UDRFA LT Darrel Williams. Also you forget about Garrett Reynolds who has had starts at RT and Guard in the past along veterans that could be released on cut down days.

4. Again Robinson was drafted for his ceiling Havenstein & Brown are more game ready based on the fact they were seniors and the both of them played in a pro style attack. Again Havenstein & Brown are game ready.

More importantly let's see what the kids have got before you start yelling fire in the theater. In preseason if they showcase otherwise you can always make a trade for a veteran or again one always seems to shake lose as well.

IMO I'd rather go young and I understand you don't have the stomach for slow start again none of us do, however, I believe in this group much more than to begin the season with a cast of castoffs. We've tried that now just let the kids play!

A simply outstanding post, den.

Nothing needs to be added, since you were so complete and thorough.

We roll with the youngsters! I'm in!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
As MoJo, Akrasian, and others have pointed out, opponents will load the box to stop the run against us at their peril.

Same thing with selling out with blitzes to confuse young OL players.

Either leaves them extremely vulnerable to a starter quality experienced vet in Foles. He will torture them with screens, TE throws, and the occasional deeper throw to the likes of Britt, Quick, Bailey, or Tavon.

This O no longer has one hand tied behind it's back with QB's like Davis or Hill. I think that we are now balanced and pose a real threat to any D.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I must say Mathis is a different case to Blalock (it seems). Blalock must have quit mentally. That must have been the reason no team was picking him up and now why he's retired. Mathis from what we hear hasn't. He's hitting his prime as a player and he wanted to be paid like the elite guard he was. Is he a fit for our system? No. So I would'nt be paying him what he clearly wants to get paid. Seattle will likely pick him up I bet.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Whew!!! Glad we dodged that one....Big time! Now can we avoid the Mathis trap?

The plan is to run the ball clearly this season, not drop Foles back and try to air it out all over the field with this OLine....which is smart = check
yepper

As MoJo, Akrasian, and others have pointed out, opponents will load the box to stop the run against us at their peril.

Either leaves them extremely vulnerable to a starter quality experienced vet in Foles. He will torture them with screens, TE throws, and the occasional deeper throw to the likes of Britt, Quick, Bailey, or Tavon.
Pound the run, KILL them with play-action passes...be unpredictable but consistent...I see multiple opportunities to scorch defenses with our QB and our speed & size at the receiver position....

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
No team signed Blalock so he decided to retire and people are slamming him for that saying he's a quitter? Really?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No team signed Blalock so he decided to retire and people are slamming him for that saying he's a quitter? Really?

I don't think so, it's a combination of a couple of things and you can't fault a man for thinking he's had enough. Overall he had a good run, but for our beloved Rams, it's time to let the kids play and have some faith in the right side!

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yep. Can't prove it, but my guess is that if Blalock got offered anything close to what he was set to make in Atlanta this year, he'd probably would still be playing.

BadCompany

Rookie

This O no longer has one hand tied behind it's back with QB's like Davis or Hill. I think that we are now balanced and pose a real threat to any D.

This is why I picked Tavon Austin as my breakout player this year. Or at least that's why I hope he will be my breakout player... I think the game plan for opposing teams coming out of the gate WILL be to stack the box against the run and put pressure on the you OL. So if Austin can get out into the open space that should be there with so many defensive players coming hard at the RB and QB then he should have a lot of real estate to run around in. Play actions, screens, swings, even little hitches, they could all turn into big plays if Austin gets the ball with room to run.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Falcons release Sam Baker; Justin Blalock retires

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cons-release-sam-baker-justin-blalock-retires

The Falcons announced Monday that they have released tackle Sam Baker, who started 61 games in six seasons with the team after being selected with the 21st overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Rapoport reported Monday that Justin Blalock is planning to retire, according to a source who has spoken to him. Blalock had reportedly drawn interest from the Rams, Lions and Titans before making his decision. "I'd like to sincerely thank the Atlanta Falcons, all my teammates and especially the fans," Blalock wrote on Twitter. "I've had an unbelievable eight years and only wish I could have helped bring a championship to the ATL."

Looks like the Falcons & Rams have been in the same mode this off season in releasing their often injured declining past starters. However the difference between these two teams is the Rams over the last two drafts have used this component to replenish the many losses of four of last years starters & the top reserve....i.e. Long, Joseph, Wells, Barksdale & Mike Person & brought in Robinson, Rhaney, Havenstein, Brown, Donnel, Wichmann, Wang & Williams.

The Falcons went through a real tough 2014 season where both Baker & Blalock were injured throughout the year & show'd signed that neither could ever return to previous form.

When you review this early year post on Blalock......

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-interested-in-blalock.35821/page-4#post-520940

You get a chance to see & use this pass period of time to help you realize that this present Ram Org. made the right decision here on Blalock & then followed up in the draft component in making many more positive & RIGHT decisions in their selections of the four OL'ers. So I just feel very confident in Snead/Fisher/Demoff upper mgt. & very pleased they are leading my Ram team. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

We will kick some serious ass if they load the box and Foles can bring his A game. If they don't load the box we will also kick some serious ass with the running game. I'm pumped.