OL Justin Blalock is retiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good..I knew something was wrong when he didn't sign with someone ..Last thing we needed was an old, no heart, burned out, OG

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's time for the Rams to go young and stick to that blueprint. There will be some hiccups along the way, but every start will be another notch in their belt and let's hope the Rams have also solved the durability issues on the offensive line with a group that actually has a future not a past!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This series of events has not changed my take on him... pass.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Well at least he knew when to hang it up some of these players in his position say all the right things that they never felt better blah blah.Then some team gives him a few million for 2-3 years and they look just awful or their body just shuts down kinda like Wells

ram007

Starter
It's time for the Rams to go young and stick to that blueprint. There will be some hiccups along the way, but every start will be another notch in their belt and let's hope the Rams have also solved the durability issues on the offensive line with a group that actually has a future not a past!

Does hiccup mean starting 1-3 again? I want them to add Mathis on a 2 year deal

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does hiccup mean starting 1-3 again? I want them to add Mathis on a 2 year deal

Mathis is 33 years old the reason you learn about history is so you're not doomed to repeat it, so we've tried veterans like Jake Long, Scott Wells & Davin Joseph, I like Brown & Havenstein on the right side and we start by punching the Seahawks right in the mouth from day one!

ram007

Starter
Mathis is 33 years old the reason you learn about history is so you're not doomed to repeat it, so we've tried veterans like Jake Long, Scott Wells & Davin Joseph, I like Brown & Havenstein on the right side and we start by punching the Seahawks right in the mouth from day one!

Rams approach is right in the long run. In the short term:

1. What about the first 5-8 games where the season is decided and rookie OL men struggle to adjust? See Greg Robinson the #2 overall pick. Heralded as the next HOF lineman struggled the first few games despite starting from game #8 or so.

2. What happens if a starter on OL goes down in training camp or games 1-5 (injuries are in inevitable)? Who will they turn to?

3. What is the current depth behind the starting unit? Rams doesn't have depth.

4. Actions Speak Louder than words. Exhibit: If Fisher didnt want GRob to play until Long injury, what does that say about Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, who were drafted significantly lower than GROb and yet this staff proclaims one or both of them will be ready by game #1?

I would call securing services of OL men like Mathis or anyone equivalent before training camp ends is an absolute bare minimum this teams needs to do to stay relevant in the first 5 games. We haven't yet talked about rehabbing #1 WR and #1 RB with a new QB and a new OC under center.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Atlanta fans seem to think that Blalock did not have such a good year last year. That sounds familiar doesn't it?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The best way to hide the pass blocking deficiencies of a young, inexperienced, mauling type OLine is to run the ball...alot.

th

Alan

Legend
The failure of the Rams FO to address the O-line situation in the draft until last year will probably continue to haunt us for years to come. I see no good solution to this problem except to hope that what we did in the draft this year will pay IMMEDIATE dividends. Thinking that Mathis is the answer or that he will sign with us is wishful thinking IMO.

Although I wish we could get/afford him for this year. :(

Alan

Legend
Hasn't worked out well for us in the past @Mojo Ram but I'm hopeful that while our new O-line players might not be able to pass block (will we really notice a difference from last year?) they might be able to run block well enough to earn that check mark.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Atlanta fans seem to think that Blalock did not have such a good year last year. That sounds familiar doesn't it?

He was injured for most of it for the first real big injury in his career. He's no Davin Joseph or any of those other scrubs.

Shame he's retiring, he can still play.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams approach is right in the long run. In the short term:

I would call securing services of OL men like Mathis or anyone equivalent before training camp ends is an absolute bare minimum this teams needs to do to stay relevant in the first 5 games. We haven't yet talked about rehabbing #1 WR and #1 RB with a new QB and a new OC under center.

1. Greg Robinson was very raw and had not done much in the passing game and was very young. Havenstein & Brown had a ton of starts at the collegiate level and the transition should not be as turbulent. I also felt Greg Robinson played very well considering, IMO, it was overstated with his struggles although he does need to be more cognizant of stunts.

2/3. As to depth concerns that is why they drafted four offensive linemen they actually have more depth now then they've ever had including a possible gem in UDRFA LT Darrel Williams. Also you forget about Garrett Reynolds who has had starts at RT and Guard in the past along veterans that could be released on cut down days.

4. Again Robinson was drafted for his ceiling Havenstein & Brown are more game ready based on the fact they were seniors and the both of them played in a pro style attack. Again Havenstein & Brown are game ready.

More importantly let's see what the kids have got before you start yelling fire in the theater. In preseason if they showcase otherwise you can always make a trade for a veteran or again one always seems to shake lose as well.

IMO I'd rather go young and I understand you don't have the stomach for slow start again none of us do, however, I believe in this group much more than to begin the season with a cast of castoffs. We've tried that now just let the kids play!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hasn't worked out well for us in the past @Mojo Ram but I'm hopeful that while our new O-line players might not be able to pass block (will we really notice a difference from last year?) they might be able to run block well enough to earn that check mark.
Well i guess i should clarify the check mark Alan. The plan is to run the ball clearly this season, not drop Foles back and try to air it out all over the field with this OLine....which is smart = check

The Rams know they probably won't be able to excel at protecting the passer this season(especially early on, as our big uglies take their rookie lumps) so the staff has intelligently put together a philosophy/gameplan to minimize that damage. IMO.

They still need to be able to execute running the ball. That remains to be seen obviously.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well i guess i should clarify the check mark Alan. The plan is to run the ball clearly this season, not drop Foles back and try to air it out all over the field with this OLine....which is smart = check

The Rams know they probably won't be able to excel at protecting the passer this season(especially early on, as our big uglies take their rookie lumps) so the staff has intelligently put together a philosophy/gameplan to minimize that damage.
Sounds like a plan.... but here's the ony problem with that...

Opposing defenses are going to be well aware of our "greenness" on the line, especially when it comes to pass protect. I don't think it will take much for them to load the box and dare the Rams (Mason) to beat them mano-a-mano.

Maybe the kids will be able to do that.

But, if not? Then you have to rely on that very green line to protect Foles because - whether we like it or not - we may have to pass (especially if we get behind by 10 or more).