OL Jamil Demby Focuses on Improvement in Transition to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
tempmaine_demby_jamil_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

With the close of the 2018 NFL Draft, 11 college prospects can now call themselves Los Angeles Rams.

After a draft haul that saw the franchise make moves to acquire 10 selections in Day 3 alone, the Rams were able to replenish depth at multiple positions — bringing in several new, dynamic playmakers.

And now that the big event has come and past, therams.com will be taking a look at each member of the club’s 2018 Draft Class.

The Rams brought in three new offensive linemen through the 2018 NFL Draft. After picking up left tackle Joseph Noteboom and center Brian Allen, L.A. rounded out the group by selecting Jamil Demby — a first-team FCS All-American tackle out of Maine.

Demby anchored the Black Bears offensive line for four seasons, appearing in 42 games throughout his college career. After an impressive showing in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and Senior Bowl, Demby left his mark on several scouts by proving himself against some of the top college prospects in the nation.

And while he spent the better part of his college career at left tackle, Demby is ready to demonstrate his versatility on the line, eager to fix “the little things,” and contribute wherever the Rams may need him.

Here is Jamil Demby in his own words:

On the contact he had with the Rams and if he thought they were a likely candidate to take him:

“Yes, they took me in for an official [top] 30 visit. It was just a great vibe, great atmosphere there. My ex-offensive coordinator [Assistant Wide Receivers Coach Liam Coen] from this past season was there. So, me and him were in contact and just on the visit, the O-Line coach showed a high interest. It was definitely all for me. It was a great vibe. A lot of positivity within the franchise.”

On his strengths and what he thinks he can improve on as he enters the NFL:

“I feel like my versatility, my knowledge for the game and my ability to compete and be dominate against no matter what the competition is. Having that mindset and I think just really what I need to fix are the little things to bring my game up. My fluid full body motion, going from the left to the right side on the offensive line and just the little technical things and I feel like I’ll be all set.”

On if he split time on the left and right side of the offensive line in college:

“I played, pretty much, all left tackle throughout my four years of college. So, I was just used to being on the left side. But throughout this process, I‘ve been working on my versatility and from a concept standpoint, I understand the game and had some great coaching.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again the nickname "Black Bears." is bad ass!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It would be sweet if all three of these OLine picks be home starter material. I keep thinking back to last year though. They were very high on Jake Eldrenkamp and he ended up on the practice squad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I keep thinking back to last year though. They were very high on Jake Eldrenkamp and he ended up on the practice squad.

Eldrenkamp was an UDRFA that got outplayed by Blythe, who was a surprise cut by the Colts. Rams then claimed Neary & J.J. Dielman, who they eventually cut. They were able to put Neary on the practice squad, but IMO, big difference between Eldrenkamp & Demby.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm really intrigued by this player. Can't wait to watch the OL in scrimmages this year. :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eldrenkamp was an UDRFA that got outplayed by Blythe, who was a surprise cut by the Colts. Rams then claimed Neary & J.J. Dielman, who they eventually cut. They were able to put Neary on the practice squad, but IMO, big difference between Eldrenkamp & Demby.

I really wish I had seen enough film on this guy to agree with you. But I will say that Snead's tendency to favor late round guys who show they belong at the Senior Bowl bodes well for him and his chances. Sure would be nice to see the Rams hit on either him or Noteboom.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That the Rams drafted 2 OL with their 1st 2 picks made it pretty clear they weren't happy with the current depth of the OL. DWilliams, Dunn, Neary, Eldrencamp and Lucas very well could be looking for new jobs come cut down time,

Ram65

Legend
I watched that Senior Bowl video that was posted here. He looked good against that Rutgers Lber/Edge rusher. Got pushed back early but, got better later. He more than held his own.

One thing bad that stood out was how slow he is. Pulling from the left side to the left sideline he was noticeably slow. I think they want to move him to OG. He will need some work getting quicker at pulling.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I hope you are correct. I recall Snead thinking they had a real gem to develop in Eldrenkamp

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes but it doesn’t change the fact that he wasn’t all that good

He wasn't all that bad, but Blythe was superior and it was obvious that Blythe had experience (one year under his belt) that aided him accordingly. Plus it seems that Kromer prefers his centers with a wrestling background and Blythe wrestled at Iowa, which is one of the esteem programs in the nation.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be sweet if all three of these OLine picks be home starter material. I keep thinking back to last year though. They were very high on Jake Eldrenkamp and he ended up on the practice squad.
I dont rmemeber them being particularly high on him. maybe i just missed it.

Anyway, the good thing is that we don’t need these guys to be starters in year 1. they have time to develop behind one of the better Olines in the league.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eldrenkamp was an UDRFA that got outplayed by Blythe

but Blythe was superior and it was obvious that Blythe had experience (one year under his belt) that aided him accordingly.
Can't dispute any of this Den.....

I think if Jake has gotten stronger...it'll be a much better competition this season....it's hard to compete as a rookie...vs a vet...as far as backups go.
I'm thinking Eldrenkamp has an inside track this season after one year in an NFL weight room...with the nutrition and all.;)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dont rmemeber them being particularly high on him. maybe i just missed it.

Anyway, the good thing is that we don’t need these guys to be starters in year 1. they have time to develop behind one of the better Olines in the league.

Yes, it’s about depth & development this season. Competition is bread into the process.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can't dispute any of this Den.....

I think if Jake has gotten stronger...it'll be a much better competition this season....it's hard to compete as a rookie...vs a vet...as far as backups go.
I'm thinking Eldrenkamp has an inside track this season after one year in an NFL weight room...with the nutrition and all.;)

At this point it’s seriously to hard to say, unless you have some inside info?

The Rams have 5 centers after drafting Allen.
If anything The Rams(Kromer) were very high on Allen either at center or guard?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be very surprised if Allen doesn't win a roster spot. Noteboom too, given where they took him he would have to show badly to get weeded out this early.

Demby, though... As a day three guy he's lookin at teams and probably practice squad. So for all those guys the key is showing as good of film as possible in preseason to ensure that the team either doesn't want to cut you/PS you for fear of other teams snapping you up, or ensuring that you have a job after you're cut.

Les does have a very good late round record. Just not on OL. So just hoping this guy was overlooked a bit due to playing up north for an obscure program, but not gonna get all crazy with any of these late round guys, as most of them never amount to much even if they do crack the roster for teams in their first few years.