OL evaluators pull up a chair!!!!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Ok here are 3 videos that, if you have the time to watch, will, I believe show you all you need to see about Jake Matthews vs Greg Robinson.

In this first (short) video Mayock initially gives you the break down of Robinson at the combine, both good and bad. He points out that he's not polished in pass pro and is a "grabber" in space. But also mentions that he is a physical freak who's upside is out the roof. And just watching this first video you can see why everyone is excited about this kid.

Now we move to video two, the BCS title game where Robinson is playing against other elite talents. I've watched every second of this video twice, and it scares the #$%^ out of me personally. Everything Mayock says about this kid is true and comes to light. When he gets low and run blocks he's like a Mac truck! And if he squares you up in space you will be road kill! But when he pass protects is where the film gets worrisome because his hands almost always go outside and bear hug the defender. He's called for at least 2 holding penalties as best I can tell in this video and could have been called a couple more. Also, as you watch this video CLOSELY you begin to see plays where he plays higher and higher, the first one they show you in slo-mo replay where by the DE just gets under his pads and absolutely pancakes this giant of a man, something that should NEVER happen to his caliber of player. also, he at times gets confused on who to block off the blitz as there is a couple plays where his guy comes clean and he's left blocking air.

And finally I have this Jake Matthews video vs Alabama. Now Jake doesn't have the raw power of Robinson by any means but his kick step is outstanding and he is ALWAYS positioned between defender and QB and his recognition of WHO to block is advanced as well. In short, these tapes show a novice like myself that Matthews is much more (dare I say) "pro ready" to play in today's NFL pass offense and he's good (not great) in run blocking as well.

In conclusion; Robinson to me is the CLASSIC boom or bust prospect as a tackle period. He has amazing upside but his downside right now in pass pro is scary. In my eyes he's got a LOT of learning to do and much technique to correct. The good thing imo is that his floor is Saffold, in that I think he'd be an amazing guard because the less he has to think about and the more he can use his raw power the better, so if he ends up a Ram and plays G this year he may never move if he plays it like I think he can.

Matthews on the other hand, is the better pro prospect out the gate. I don't see how it can be disputed when watching the tape. He's ceiling is a very good OT for 10-12 years. Robinson, because of his bear-like strength and speed has a ceiling of the moon.

Side note: In watching the Matthews tape it became shocking to me that Manzeil is even being considered a top draft pick. He may well become the first QB ever killed on an NFL field. There is NO WAY that style works this fall.

I welcome all takes of those who WATCH these 3 videos.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Matthews's ceiling is higher than very good.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's my pick. Mathews or Watkins.

I'm telling you, I believe they can get Watkins AND Matthews if they play their cards right. Take watkins at 1A and move back up to get Matthews.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Matthews sold me at the combine much more than Robinson did. Dude was just an absolute man amongst boys in the positional drills(which I viewed as more important than 40 time, bench press, etc.) when compared to everyone else. He owned every drill.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm telling you, I believe they can get Watkins AND Matthews if they play their cards right. Take watkins at 1A and move back up to get Matthews.
I wouldn't be opposed at all if they don't give up the farm to do so.

If they could trade down, get extra picks, then use picks in those same rounds to trade back up and get both that way, I'd be tickled pink.

wrstdude

Rookie
Matthews is a technician. You can see his understanding of the scheme when his original block leaves and he finds the next guy coming around. Probably the most difficult thing to do at game speed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What really impresses me about Matthews, was his seamless transition to LT from RT, and I have no doubt in my mind that he could play all 5 positions on the OL.

PhxRam

What really impresses me about Matthews, was his seamless transition to LT from RT, and I have no doubt in my mind that he could play all 5 positions on the OL.

I never followed his career, why was he originally a RT?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
After seeing the films, I agree that Matthews should be our first pick! Then we trade up and take Dennard with our second #1!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I dont think Robinson can be a bust if you pick him after pick 5. He could be the best G in the biz one day. That's why he has my vote over Mathews.

We have Quick on the Jackson plan. We need to put Robinson on the Ogden plan. Let's start him at LG and go from there.

wrstdude

Rookie
Watching the championship game, Robinson seemingly only knows a down block. He reminds me of how former players described Larry Allen-once you're engaged, you're done. He looked lost on most DL stunts. I think he's a beast Guard day 1, but Bou has his work cut out for him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watching the championship game, Robinson seemingly only knows a down block. He reminds me of how former players described Larry Allen-once you're engaged, you're done. He looked lost on most DL stunts. I think he's a beast Guard day 1, but Bou has his work cut out for him.

Exactly, and another beast guard is what we need day 1.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yea, Robinson is way too much of a risk and Matthews can play right now and play anywhere we need him to. To me it's obvious, I don't even think Robinson should be a consideration. If we draft OL we need them to start now. Don't get me wrong Robinson is a great player with even greater upside but Matthews as I have said before is the safest pick in the draft

fearsomefour

Legend
He actually long snaps too which is not a surprise or a big deal I guess.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Analysis on Jake Matthews. "He gives up some ground."

I think that Jake Matthews is a near finished product compared to Robinson. But, he lacks Robinson's upside. That's why we have offensive line coaches, right?

Regardless, we can't go wrong with either of these guys.