OL and Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have gone through its last 2 complete Drafts without utilizing any selections on OL'ers. @Merlin...I believe that is going to change the last of April. Kromer responsibilities now have been increased & wheels more power in this offense under McVay. Kromer will get his opportunities to be involved in the draft process. Thus OL'ers are sure to be on the menu. And :yess:its a topic that warrants GREAT discourse as you said (y).

It takes a tremendous amount of time effort to get a "just out of College" football player up to NFL rigors & up to the NFL bar in order to be effective on the field. That why I have been trending toward going heavy in Free Agency on OL'ers over the other positions. You have not see me banging any drum for a Sammy Watkins or Trumaine Johnson.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The top priority for the OL group this off-season should be finding a legit swing tackle to be groomed to replace Whitworth down the road. It would also provide some protection vs re-signing Havs. A guy who could potentially start on either end is what the Rams should be looking for.

The interior is just fine, especially if Sullivan is brought back. It would be the same group as last year. Finding another guard in case we lose either Saffold or Brown next season can either be found outside of our premium picks (day 3, 2nd tier FA, cuts) and developed this season under Kromer, or we spend a premium pick next year in the draft.

As for what our OL FAs will command next season on the open market, be ready. Should the Rams make the playoffs again, Gurley has another big year, and anybody makes the pro bowl...no way all 3 stay unless somebody gets extended now.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think it is 43. It is when you're talking about paying everyone. They can't. And it's easy to say both Brown and Havenstein will be affordable, but I doubt that until I see it. Both those guys would be paid pretty damn well if they were hitting the FA period this year, and they have agents that know that and don't think both aren't lookin forward to that payday.

That money is going to go fast. The Rams have to make moves this year that solve futures concerns. To say "we can pay everyone and the Rams know what they're doing I trust them" is an oversimplification.

Well, we just see this one differently, Merlin.

It’s a rare thing, but it does sometimes happen. Peace.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe that is going to change the last of April. Kromer responsibilities now have been increased & wheels more power in this offense under McVay. Kromer will get his opportunities to be involved in the draft process. Thus OL'ers are sure to be on the menu.

Yes the draft will prove critical in getting this thing solved. I suspect Kromer will get 2-3 additions in this draft, mostly on the back end of course, the mid to late round types, and they hope they can mold one of them into something. Reason I focused on Center is because it's a great way to go cheap given the ease of finding those types mid to late in the draft, plus a lot of them nowadays can play OG as well. But yeah it might be OG moreso if they really like Blythe, I don't know what they're thinkin behind the scenes and we'll know soon if they extend Sully.

The interior is just fine, especially if Sullivan is brought back. It would be the same group as last year. Finding another guard in case we lose either Saffold or Brown next season can either be found outside of our premium picks (day 3, 2nd tier FA, cuts) and developed this season under Kromer, or we spend a premium pick next year in the draft.

I really like Sully, but he's old and has a history of injury FoT. The more of those guys you add to the equation the more chances you'll get burned, so that is why I prefer to let him roll out of here and get the best offer from whichever team wants to help him ride into the sunset. Blythe is at least a stopgap option, as he played very well in limited snaps for us. If they go that route they just need to insulate the direction with a pick at some point in this year's draft.

Also irt OGs being found outside of premium picks, this is why I expect them to lock up Havenstein. He was a solid starter for us at RT and they need to prioritize youth and fit to cement this OL for our window of playoff contention. He is a key piece IMO and as pointed out in the OP having him locked up allows for them to find their LT next offseason as they finish up the line rebuild.

nighttrain

Legend
I appreciate what you are trying to say here, but with Saffold, Havenstein & Brown all entering free agency next year, they are going to want to be paid like the starters they are. Whitworth is likely retiring after 2019, and that's only if he stays healthy between now and then. This year we have Donald to worry about, in the next two it will be Gurley and Goff, so I have to wonder where all this money is coming from if we aren't developing the talent thru the draft ?
Gurley and Goff will have a real rough time of it without a good OL
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I wouldn't consider it a slam dunk to re-sign Havenstein & Brown to inexpensive future contracts considering they will likely be coming off two straight years in the play-offs and potentially one Super Bowl run. They were also 2 parts of the biggest offensive turn-around in the NFL, they'll be looking to get paid.

nighttrain

Legend
I wouldn't consider it a slam dunk to re-sign Havenstein & Brown to inexpensive future contracts considering they will likely be coming off two straight years in the play-offs and potentially one Super Bowl run. They were also 2 parts of the biggest offensive turn-around in the NFL, they'll be looking to get paid.
no slam dunk, but should be doable
train

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I see what you did there, River. And I like it. Lol.

Yeah, they would get paid, but it should be reasonable, I think.

nighttrain

Legend
kristen_lago.jpg
Kristen LagoRams Writer/Reporter@kristennlago

MichaelDunn.jpg

The Rams have added another piece to their offensive line rotation, signing offensive tackle Michael Dunn. Dunn rejoins the Rams after spending part of the 2017 offseason program and preseason with the organization.

The Maryland product started 48 games over his career in College Park, primarily at left tackle. He was named an All-Big Ten honorable mention in 2015 and 2016 — helping running back Ty Johnson to become the ninth 1,000-yard rusher in Maryland history.

Dunn will provide added depth to the Rams roster as the team gears up for their offseason workouts beginning in April.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Umm...good news I suppose. Hey, when did Maryland land in the Big Ten?
(Ok.....obviously I don't follow College ball like I used to.) But I remember the days when the Terps were top in Basketbal and would play in the ACC tournament against Duke and NC.....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Will he be anything other than a camp body ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Brown was better than Havenstein....only by the skin on his teeth....I'd look to upgrade the right side....one, find a OT that can start on the right side, but slide to the left side in 2019....two, draft a center that can start at RG....re-sign Sullivan.

Agree , but Blythe played well & is not going anywhere soon. Narring is another gut The Rams like.

Finding a solid LT to build with is key , especially learning from Whitworth.

D. Williams can’t play RT , so that hurts his value. The Rams need a Swing tackle big time.

Big Rob & J. Brown are both good future options to lock up ?

I think Kromer has a master plan & Ram fans will get a better idea soon. Can’t wait for the combine to get a better view.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I love the mindset of this front office.

I believe we have the most coaches on our staff in the league. It's all about teaching, from the top down. Encouraging communication and creating this very cohesive environment.

Now we see it already starting this offseason - which league year has not even started. Adding people to the roster. We had a lot of players on our roster last year. Getting reps and learning. Being a part of the environment. Sure seems like I remember Mcvay having one of the largest rosters in terms of numbers last offseason.

Competition. Community. Communication. Cooperation. Ckromer-mCvay-vision.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He's a Tackle! Worked in as a swing OT when here!:yay: Now we need about a half dozen more!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, when did Maryland land in the Big Ten?
Crazy right? They left the ACC back in 2013, and joined Rutgers (who left the Big East) as members in the 2013 fall season.
I don’t know which looks weirder, Maryland or Nebraska in the Big 10

Ram65

Legend

They can get paid early and stay with the Rams. Teams success or not they will get evaluated on their performance.

While PPF isn't the final word they have Rob Havenstein rated as average OT #27 @ 78.0 Age 26 in May 2018

PFF has Damon Brown rated as Poor OG # 38 @ 52.3 Age 25 in March 2018

As I recall it's part of Demoff's job to evaluate what players would get in free agency if allowed to go that far. He should be able to give them offers that are tempting but, not over valued. Currently, I don't see either one breaking the bank so to speak. Havenstein would get good interest but Brown not so much. We don't know how the Rams and offensive line coach Kromer rates them. We do know that continuity on the offensive line is important, so for the Rams it could be better to keep these guys together if possible. Projecting how players will progress is important too. Considering their age the Rams could give them 3 year extensions and have them for 4 more years. They would still be able to get another contract and the Rams would have them in their prime. Resigning your players is the trend now in the NFL as it a way of saving money. Letting your players get to free agency is giving the upper hand to the player. Some players may want to wait and become free agents. Some players want the security of an earlier contract. It the Rams management to make the right call early and resign players when appropriate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They can get paid early and stay with the Rams. Teams success or not they will get evaluated on their performance.

While PPF isn't the final word they have Rob Havenstein rated as average OT #27 @ 78.0 Age 26 in May 2018

PFF has Damon Brown rated as Poor OG # 38 @ 52.3 Age 25 in March 2018

I think in general paying a player before they realize how good they are is a nice strategy... IF you're correct. If not, you get a Tavon contract.

Re: Havenstein the reason he's the most likely target for the Rams to sign this offseason is because OTs are harder to find. And when you consider they need to go get their LT next offseason, it's clear they can't afford to enter that offseason needing bookend tackles as that's a very hard equation to solve in one offseason. Needing a LT and some interior help is also tough, but easier relatively speaking.

I think Jamon Brown is going to get better and better. But he makes more mistakes in spite of the fact he's the more talented player, and he failed when given the opportunity in camp to take the RT position.

Saffold is going to deserve top shelf money. I have no concern with them paying him, but when you look at this group over time letting him walk and retooling looks better to my eye at least.

Rams have two offseasons to solve this thing. It's like 2nd and 15, and they need to get about half the yardage to make the 2019 offseason doable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am guessing with getting Peters, now if an OT slides, like Orlando Brown, then they would be all over him, or maybe move up a couple picks fir him. Or maybe Billy Price, the center from Ohio St., is a possibility at 23 or after a small trade down.