Okay, so

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
on the board I used to post on, which I check once in a while, had a pretty funny post.

The biggest Shotty-supporter and biggest Fisher hater came up with the theory that Shotty went to GA to become an HC eventually, because they, essentially, the Fisher ship is sinking.

Now, most rejected that and think what has been posted here that it's more likely that Fish told Shotty to find another job so he didn't have to fire him.

Anyway, the funny part is that when people are partisan to certain coaches, they will always try and spin things. Like the Martz-lovers and Martz-haters.

My feeling on Martz is that he was part of something special in 1999 and was great OC, but maybe wasn't the total leader needed to be a great HC. But I will always be glad he was a Rams because he made Kurt Warner (says who? Kurt Warner and Vermeil) but that by 2005 it was time for him to go.

But those who hated Martz for what he did as HC will often try to discredit what Martz did in 1999, that any good OC would have won the SB with all that talent.

Anyway, the same is true here. A Shotty lover does not use facts or logic, he comes up with a far-fetched theory to defend his own position on Shotty. And that cracks me up

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I don't think any of that, or follow the logic that if I appreciated Schotty's contribution that I don't use facts or logic. What's so illogical about saying Fisher and Ryan have never had great offenses and that Schotty has been directly anchored to both of their philosophies? Or pointing out that Fisher's praise and Schotty's testimony that Fisher wanted him to stay could very well be the truth? What people say on another board is their cross to bear. I stand by my opinions and am of the belief that they're pretty sound since they're impossible to disprove. All we're left with now is subjective arguments about what Fisher *really* meant or what Schotty's options *really* are.

Meh. I'll just take their words on it and move on. Everything else is conjecture.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I don't think any of that, or follow the logic that if I appreciated Schotty's contribution that I don't use facts or logic. What's so illogical about saying Fisher and Ryan have never had great offenses and that Schotty has been directly anchored to both of their philosophies? Or pointing out that Fisher's praise and Schotty's testimony that Fisher wanted him to stay could very well be the truth? What people say on another board is their cross to bear. I stand by my opinions and am of the belief that they're pretty sound since they're impossible to disprove. All we're left with now is subjective arguments about what Fisher *really* meant or what Schotty's options *really* are.

Meh. I'll just take their words on it and move on. Everything else is conjecture.
right, we don't know the deal as of now. Sometimes things come out later . . . but now, it is just guesses . .. some funnier than others, IMO. By the way, I didn't wade through all the Shotty comments on the other thread . . . just too much work.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
on the board I used to post on, which I check once in a while, had a pretty funny post.

The biggest Shotty-supporter and biggest Fisher hater came up with the theory that Shotty went to GA to become an HC eventually, because they, essentially, the Fisher ship is sinking.

Now, most rejected that and think what has been posted here that it's more likely that Fish told Shotty to find another job so he didn't have to fire him.

Anyway, the funny part is that when people are partisan to certain coaches, they will always try and spin things. Like the Martz-lovers and Martz-haters.

My feeling on Martz is that he was part of something special in 1999 and was great OC, but maybe wasn't the total leader needed to be a great HC. But I will always be glad he was a Rams because he made Kurt Warner (says who? Kurt Warner and Vermeil) but that by 2005 it was time for him to go.

But those who hated Martz for what he did as HC will often try to discredit what Martz did in 1999, that any good OC would have won the SB with all that talent.

Anyway, the same is true here. A Shotty lover does not use facts or logic, he comes up with a far-fetched theory to defend his own position on Shotty. And that cracks me up

The one thing about Fisher that never changes is he doesn't throw anyone under the bus. He stood behind Walton up until the day he left, as well as with Schotty. Both times these two coaches left, the words that came out of Fisher's mouth might as well have been echos.

What does that mean? Who knows. It could be a coincidence. Or, it could be the script he uses while looking for other coaches.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I opined something fairly similar:

Unless there's better results next year, I think Fisher's going to be canned, since the other options would be given a new contract or allowed to go into his final year with no new contract. If he's canned, it's likely his whole regime (except maybe Williams) is going with him.

Whereas the new job likely offers more than a year of security.

I don't think that's all that unreasonable.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I opined something fairly similar:

Unless there's better results next year, I think Fisher's going to be canned, since the other options would be given a new contract or allowed to go into his final year with no new contract. If he's canned, it's likely his whole regime (except maybe Williams) is going with him.

Whereas the new job likely offers more than a year of security.

I don't think that's all that unreasonable.
Again, anything is possible, but that is a little different than Shooty making a Machiavelian play to be a HC by leaving now. It's possible shotty would prefer security over the a premier job in the NFL and it's possible Shotty was nudged out because he doesn't throw people under the bus. I know I don't know, but not sure anyone else does either, but if someone is a shooty fan, to then come up with the one scenario that makes Shotty look good then I find it funny.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The one thing about Fisher that never changes is he doesn't throw anyone under the bus. He stood behind Walton up until the day he left, as well as with Schotty. Both times these two coaches left, the words that came out of Fisher's mouth might as well have been echos.

What does that mean? Who knows. It could be a coincidence. Or, it could be the script he uses while looking for other coaches.

This is something that's true about pro sports, people rarely throw another person under the bus. As we have seen many times you always want to be cool because a guy you fired or who left for another job could end up being your boss someday. Just look at the list of former HC/OC/DC that have other positions as position coaches and so on.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
but if someone is a shooty fan, to then come up with the one scenario that makes Shotty look good then I find it funny.
Just as funny as it would be for someone who is a Schotty non-fan to assume it MUST (as some are) be a case of Schotty being quietly told to leave or be fired.

And at least in the case of the "Georgia presents a better chance to be a coach someday" theory, there's no gaping plotholes. Whereas in the quietly pushed out theory, why is Georgia hiring and paying premium money to a guy everyone supposedly knows is worthless?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
This is something that's true about pro sports, people rarely throw another person under the bus. As we have seen many times you always want to be cool because a guy you fired or who left for another job could end up being your boss someday. Just look at the list of former HC/OC/DC that have other positions as position coaches and so on.
Yes, coaching is like any other fraturnity. Unless a guy is a total douche, and rubs everyone the wrong way he will be treated with respect by those to fire him.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Just as funny as it would be for someone who is a Schotty non-fan to assume it MUST (as some are) be a case of Schotty being quietly told to leave or be fired.

And at least in the case of the "Georgia presents a better chance to be a coach someday" theory, there's no gaping plotholes. Whereas in the quietly pushed out theory, why is Georgia hiring and paying premium money to a guy everyone supposedly knows is worthless?

Yes, that applies, too, it they are a hater and come up with the worst-case scenario.

The difference is what does someone who is objective think? Find people who are not Rams fans or don't either love or hate Shotty . ..

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yes, that applies, too, it they are a hater and come up with the worst-case scenario.

The difference is what does someone who is objective think? Find people who are not Rams fans or don't either love or hate Shotty . ..
True objectivity is pretty hard to find, so I don't know.

Most of us assume we're objective and are mostly wrong. ;)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
True objectivity is pretty hard to find, so I don't know.

Most of us assume we're objective and are mostly wrong. ;)

Maybe you assume you are objective, but when it comes to Rams I have my opinions for sure and wouldn't claim to be objetive. I have a friend who is a Viking fan and he's not too objective when ticomes to Vikings issues but is objective when it comes to Rams issues.

But when some always praises Shotty and blames Fisher, that's a bias. If someone always defends Fisher and blames Shotty, they are also biased. If someone sees goods things with both and some bad with with both, then they do have some level of objectivity.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Godfather? :)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The way minds work, I just don't think there is such thing as true subjectivity. We are supposed to be influenced by sensory input stored.

Anyway, I'm definitely not a Shottenheimer fan, but I'll fully admit that my support for him as our mediocre head coach is agenda oriented.

I wanted him to last until the offensive line was solid, and at that point, I wanted this team to select a new quarterback and head coach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The way minds work, I just don't think there is such thing as true subjectivity. We are supposed to be influenced by sensory input stored.

Anyway, I'm definitely not a Shottenheimer fan, but I'll fully admit that my support for him as our mediocre head coach is agenda oriented.

I wanted him to last until the offensive line was solid, and at that point, I wanted this team to select a new quarterback and head coach.
Yeah, well, having a picture of your baby next to every post makes it impossible to disagree with anything you say.

So, yeah. Who's a good little poster?

YOU are. Yes! YOU are.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, well, having a picture of your baby next to every post makes it impossible to disagree with anything you say.

So, yeah. Who's a good little poster?

YOU are. Yes! YOU are.
Well it was her cheerleader outfit, I couldn't resist!

I could try the
Haterade.png

But I don't think it suits me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Some food for thought.

Jimmy Johnston didn't look like a genius in Miami.
Bill Parcells didn't look like a genius in Dallas.
Billacheat. Same in Cleveland.
Carroll. Same in NE.
It goes on and on.
Martz couldn't find the GSOT magic with his other teams. He was fearless with his offense in STL though. I once saw him call a complete half of football without one running play. Unheard of.
Does that make them failures?

The product on the field is a huge ingredient not to be overlooked. That doesn't mean that the coaching doesn't matter. Football is the ultimate team sport.
Everything has to come together to be successful. 1 bad position group can fail an entire team.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Parcells was only a genius when Belicheat was his DC . . .other than that . . .no so much

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Maybe you assume you are objective, but when it comes to Rams I have my opinions for sure and wouldn't claim to be objetive. I have a friend who is a Viking fan and he's not too objective when ticomes to Vikings issues but is objective when it comes to Rams issues.

But when some always praises Shotty and blames Fisher, that's a bias. If someone always defends Fisher and blames Shotty, they are also biased. If someone sees goods things with both and some bad with with both, then they do have some level of objectivity.
I do assume I am objective.

I am, however, completely, utterly and laughably wrong. ;)

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Some food for thought.

Jimmy Johnston didn't look like a genius in Miami.
Bill Parcells didn't look like a genius in Dallas.
Billacheat. Same in Cleveland.
Carroll. Same in NE.
It goes on and on.
Martz couldn't find the GSOT magic with his other teams. He was fearless with his offense in STL though. I once saw him call a complete half of football without one running play. Unheard of.
Does that make them failures?

The product on the field is a huge ingredient not to be overlooked. That doesn't mean that the coaching doesn't matter. Football is the ultimate team sport.
Everything has to come together to be successful. 1 bad position group can fail an entire team.
That's what I been trying to tell the Bradford Bashers for all the good that did.