OK - Who is really happy with the Gurley pick and who would you had taken?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
most of the options were gone except parker and peat and obviously any trade down offers werent of any value to the FO, so todd gurley, the newest st louis ram is it . knowing they needed offensive linemen says something about the fact they didnt draft peat, i.e, barksdale is going to resign, peat is more raw than robinson was, etc, et.al .
parker had been described as a #2 at best , certainly not a #1. i'm wondering if the giants pick of flowers instead of peat changed the rams choice.
now lets hope mr gurley gets 100% healthy and performs as suggested by the guru's . (y)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with experts on this subject and here's why...

Take the two most dominate best offensive teams - Patriots and Packers. Any decent RB can get 1300 yds and 10 tds in these offenses really. These are two best offenses and have been for yrs. It works and they win every yr BC of it. This is why analysts say that. If you build a passing offense you have a better chance to win, period. In 10+ yrs only a few teams have won as consistently that weren't passing offenses.

When the Rams add Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers to the roster, then maybe I'll agree. But, those types of QBs are few and far in between.

Take the two most dominate best offensive teams - Patriots and Packers. Any decent RB can get 1300 yds and 10 tds in these offenses really. These are two best offenses and have been for yrs. It works and they win every yr BC of it. This is why analysts say that. If you build a passing offense you have a better chance to win, period. In 10+ yrs only a few teams have won as consistently that weren't passing offenses.
Won it all? Sure. But the last few supper bowls have all features major running attacks.

Marshawn vs the pats.
Marshawn vs the Broncos.
Ray rice vs frank gore.

If a running back is the best player on the board, then I think you take him. If prime Adrian Peterson was in this draft (or any) then he'd be a top 5 pick every time. Now, if it's just a good rb, then you could wait until round 2. Gurley is not "good " though. Gurley might be generational.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This was a great pick....BPA

After Flowers was taken, I was a little sad.....As soon as I heard Gurley, I got HAPPY....

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't expecting the pick, and I am concerned about the injury. But I do think he is an elite player, and the only one available at 10. Do we need OL help? Without a doubt. But if everything available was in the "pretty good" category (Peat? Humphries?) I'm with Snead and Fisher. Take the game changer.

KeithA39

UDFA
This was a great pick....BPA

After Flowers was taken, I was a little sad.....As soon as I heard Gurley, I got HAPPY....

Exactly how I felt. Actually cursing at the TV as one after the other of the choices I wanted fell off the board. Would have loved if Scherff was there for the Rams, but he was gone...even earlier than I expected.

The trend was for defensive players who could get to the quarterback, but, guess what, many of these edge rushers are mediocre against the run. Gurley will be 10 yards down the field before they have a chance to go "oops".

Just crossing my fingers regarding the ACL. If, and I'll admit it's a huge "if", he can stay healthy, then the Rams got an offensive stud.

I'm stoked.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This is actually incorrect. Multiple checks have been done on gurley by many teams and the consensus was that he was going to make a full recovery from the injury. He just had his knee check two weeks ago and teams were very pleased. This isn't a guy hobbling around on one leg after taking an nfl beating. This is a young guy with a fresh body who will be ready to go.

"They" said that about Long and Bradford as well and neither one of them is here anymore.:(

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

So what your saying is if you have Tom Brady or arron Rodgers it doesn't matter where you draft a rb.

"They" said that about Long and Bradford as well and neither one of them is here anymore.:(
Well hopefully gurley doesn't have the same injury luck as Bradford and long lol but long was older and Bradford had a little bit of an injury history to begin with

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

You forgot to mention why they are the best offenses. Brady and Rodgers. 'nuff said. We don't have one of the elite QBs, so you have to try to make up for it in other areas.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I had a really hard time processing the pick at first, because it seemed so out of left field. Plus, I only knew he was coming of a torn ACL, but knew no details of the injury (i.e. the fact that it was a clean tear with little/no collateral damage). Knowing that others like Frank Gore and Willis McGahee recovered from ACL tears in college to have productive careers has eased my worry a little, and knowing the details of his injury helps a little more.

When I think about what he can be if he fully recovers, and what we already have at our other skill positions, I think the Rams could be in very good shape offensively by simply fixing the OL. I don't view WR as an area of need at this point. Same with TE. QB is still somewhat of a question mark, but I think with the skill position talent around him, Foles has plenty to work with. If and when we get Gurley untracked, he's the kind of player that forces teams to adjust their schemes, and that will open up things for the other guys.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm always confused when analysts say "you don't need a first round back anymore". Because if gurley (huge if) gives us 1300 yards and 10 tds, isn't that just as good as a receiver doing the same?
IMO better because he also chews up clock and grinds on the defense while keeping your O-line fresher. O-linemen almost always prefer run blocking because it puts them in an offensive position - which is easier than having to pass block.

ausmurp

Starter
You forgot to mention why they are the best offenses. Brady and Rodgers. 'nuff said. We don't have one of the elite QBs, so you have to try to make up for it in other areas.

Sort of. I'd include Stafford, Brees, Manning x2, etc. Any of those passing offenses can take an avg RB and they should be good, as long as the OL is decent (Lions and Giants have been bad).

With that said, elite RB talent like Gurley should not be devalued. I would still take AP in top 10 in his draft class, so elite talent with same ceiling (it can't really be better) should be top 10. I like the Gurley pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Taking a top 10 pick coming off ACL injury just doesn't agree with me particularly since I had Gordon as the best back in the draft, so I was extremely irritated last night. But what really matters more than anything else is that they get this OL fixed. This draft is still about the OL.

Better get started tonight or they might find themselves not liking what's left.

ausmurp

Starter
Taking a top 10 pick coming off ACL injury just doesn't agree with me particularly since I had Gordon as the best back in the draft, so I was extremely irritated last night. But what really matters more than anything else is that they get this OL fixed. This draft is still about the OL.

Better get started tonight or they might find themselves not liking what's left.

Why did you have Gordon as better back? Just curious. Is it just the injury?

I think it is very obvious from tape that Gurley is a WAY better faster stronger better break tackling RB. I think most people agree with this. He is an AP like talent.