OK - Who is really happy with the Gurley pick and who would you had taken?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I will be the first to admit that I was shocked and disappointed with the Gurley pick but I will also admit that for me the top 10 picks could not have gone worse! All the players (Cooper, White, Scherff, Flowers) I wanted were picked (And, I honestly thought one of them would be available to the Rams at that point) in the top 9. So, with those players already picked I guess I would had gone with Parker or Peat. But, with that being said, I would had been thrilled with a HEALTHY Gurley (I think he was really special before his injury!) and maybe all those reports that he should be as good as new once he completes Rehab are true (Hopefully, they are!) but I have to admit that I will be keeping my fingers crossed every time he gets hit.

Now, if Jeff Fisher would just make an announcement that the Rams have made contract agreements with Barksdale AND Blalock I will feel much, much better about the Gurley pick!!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My top 6 targets were gone.

I wanted no part of Peat.

It was Gurley or Parker for me.

Gurley is the more special player if you ask me.

It's a bit of a risk - but this is a face of the franchise kind of pick.

I think the Rams did the right thing. Especially if they are willing to be patient.

Memphis Ram

Legend
crazy-dance.gif

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This pick is a huge gamble by Snead and Fisher. People have their rose colored glasses on with this pick as Gurley was not the highest rated pick available when the Rams picked. They ignored his injury and drafted on hope.

Makes you wonder what imperative they might be working under.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would have preferred a trade back. Taking a running back this early is not necessary anymore. Teams win without franchise running backs. I am sure it helps to have one and without an Aaron Rodgers at QB maybe it is more of a necessity, but Mason is better than most backs in the league already.
Fix the Oline and Bennie and Tre would have done just fine. Fix the line and the 3rd and 2s get converted with Mason and Cunningham. Fix the line and the passing game improves. The problem was not Tre Mason. It was the line.

Fisher said to one reporter that they couldn't close games last year. Fix the line and that is no problem. Stop going into full blown conservative mode too. Stop playing prevent defense when you have the lead in the second half. There are many reasons that the Rams couldn't hold leads.

The knee is another issue altogether. I would never advocate picking anyone coming off of a major injury in the first four rounds.
As always I hope the guy is a hall of fame RB for the Rams. I also hope he has a long career if you know what I mean.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This pick is a huge gamble by Snead and Fisher. People have their rose colored glasses on with this pick as Gurley was not the highest rated pick available when the Rams picked. They ignored his injury and drafted on hope.

Then who was the highest rated pick on the Rams board?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Personally I'm not a fan of the pick but mainly due to the fact he's coming off the ACL injury and he's a luxury pick. However, I don't get too high or low on this stuff. Like many I need to wait and see what he brings to the team in real games. If he is the second coming of AP as many think it could be a real steal for us. But I'm still not very confident in the OL yet. But need to see the rest of the draft and if if we do anything else with FA's.
Bottom line for me is I trust Snisher and am a fan of the team so it's all good.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just taking a look at Seattle and their OLine tells me that better QB play and play calling and the passing game improves. And adding a stud RB also improves the running game.

Does the OLine need upgrading? Sure. But, let's not forget how the other players and coaching decisions plays a role in an OLine's effectiveness, too.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just taking a look at Seattle and their OLine tells me that better QB play and play calling and the passing game improves. And adding a stud RB also improves the running game.

Does the OLine need upgrading? Sure. But, let's not forget how the other players and coaching decisions plays a role in an OLine's effectiveness, too.

Hey Memphis. I know you're a big fan of the pick. When do you think he starts? (ACL's can be a year unless you're a freak like AP)

FRO

Legend
The only acceptable options were Gurley, Parker, or trade down. I'm not sure what if any trade down offers there were. Gurley is more talented than Parker, but Parker isn't hurt and plays a less crowded position.

Stel

Starter
I like the pick but it surprised me.

In the absence of a trade down option, I'd have taken WR Parker.

V3

Hall of Fame
Not sure I'd say I'm "happy" but I'm okay with the pick. I get what they're thinking. It's hard for me to get over knee injuries like that for a RB. I usually don't like taking RB's in the first unless they're amazing talents. I think Gurley is close to that type of talent but I don't think he'll be a HOFer or anything. AP is a HOFer. That's the type of talent I'm willing to take in the 1st. I think he'll be good to very good and that's ONLY if he can STAY HEALTHY. Serious questions about whether that's possible with him.

That being said, the way the draft fell and the lack of top talent in it, there really wasn't much else there that I would have been really "happy" with either so when you factor that in and the fact that Fisher "says"(he's said we'd be a run heavy team all along but we really haven't. perhaps now we will?) we're going to be a run heavy team, the pick makes a lot of sense. If the Rams couldn't trade down, and I doubt they could have, there really isn't much else to do there unless you reach for one of the OT's or CB's or take Parker and I'm still not sold on him. All told, I'd probably give the pick a B- to B.

This is actually incorrect. Multiple checks have been done on gurley by many teams and the consensus was that he was going to make a full recovery from the injury. He just had his knee check two weeks ago and teams were very pleased. This isn't a guy hobbling around on one leg after taking an nfl beating. This is a young guy with a fresh body who will be ready to go.

Hey Memphis. I know you're a big fan of the pick. When do you think he starts? (ACL's can be a year unless you're a freak like AP)
Everything I've read suggests that he'd be ready to ease in at around week 4. He's talking about participating in training camp as is.

I like the pick but it surprised me.

In the absence of a trade down option, I'd have taken WR Parker.
No shock that fisher didn't take receiver. He just signed Britt to w decent contract and quick is the other starter.

I would have preferred a trade back. Taking a running back this early is not necessary anymore. Teams win without franchise running backs. I am sure it helps to have one and without an Aaron Rodgers at QB maybe it is more of a necessity, but Mason is better than most backs in the league already.
Fix the Oline and Bennie and Tre would have done just fine. Fix the line and the 3rd and 2s get converted with Mason and Cunningham. Fix the line and the passing game improves. The problem was not Tre Mason. It was the line.

Fisher said to one reporter that they couldn't close games last year. Fix the line and that is no problem. Stop going into full blown conservative mode too. Stop playing prevent defense when you have the lead in the second half. There are many reasons that the Rams couldn't hold leads.

The knee is another issue altogether. I would never advocate picking anyone coming off of a major injury in the first four rounds.
As always I hope the guy is a hall of fame RB for the Rams. I also hope he has a long career if you know what I mean.
I'm always confused when analysts say "you don't need a first round back anymore". Because if gurley (huge if) gives us 1300 yards and 10 tds, isn't that just as good as a receiver doing the same?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm always confused when analysts say "you don't need a first round back anymore". Because if gurley (huge if) gives us 1300 yards and 10 tds, isn't that just as good as a receiver doing the same?

They are just another person into drafting positions and not players.

ausmurp

Starter

I agree with experts on this subject and here's why...

Take the two most dominate best offensive teams - Patriots and Packers. Any decent RB can get 1300 yds and 10 tds in these offenses really. These are two best offenses and have been for yrs. It works and they win every yr BC of it. This is why analysts say that. If you build a passing offense you have a better chance to win, period. In 10+ yrs only a few teams have won as consistently that weren't passing offenses.

Athos

Legend
The players I wanted were gone.

Fuck you Chicago. (That steaming pile of refuse they call a defense will result in many more losing seasons to come BTW.)

Gurley was BPA left on the O side of the ball. You could quibble with Parker, but it's all a matter of preference.