OJ Howard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't watch much SEC football and have not watched Alabama at all during the season. So I ask.

It seems fans have expected OJ Howard to perform like he did in the NC game. That is what ESPN implies anyway. So, was that game an aberration because Clemson was totally caught off guard or is that a glimpse of what Howard is capable of at the next level? We already know he can block. He would be a better version of Kendricks IMO. Or like I said am I being fooled by one game?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clemson was missing their top CB and as a result shuffled their secondary to cover for it. They still left Howard uncovered too often. Missing a possible top ten pick CB will affect your pass defense. Howard has talent but so far hadn't lived up to it, sounds like what we currently have at TE, physical talent that under performs.

Athos

Legend
Their best DB was out and I believe another starting DB was playing injured.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
or is that a glimpse of what Howard is capable of at the next level?
Lane Kiffin has a way of freezing talent out....Rather, he finds his guy, and has the QB target them, and it wasn't OJ....OJ needs an offense that looks to the TE....Just looking at him, he's better prepared to dominate the pro game than the top ranked TE on many/most boards, Hunter Henry. Much better athlete than Kendricks...Still developing...only question, does he have those special hands? the mitts? Grab anything....Love to see him at the combine...

Ram65

Legend
This was posted about players to look at in NCGame

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/title-game-prospects-cbs-sports.42393/#post-695682

Howard's frame and athleticism are ideal for what NFL scouts seek. (USATSI)

TIGHT END: O.J. Howard, Alabama, 6-6, 242, 4.59, #88

While Clemson tight end Jordan Leggett is the more productive of the two and a solid NFL prospect himself, Howard receives the edge because of his NFL traits. His frame and athleticism are ideal for what NFL scouts seek in a tight end prospect, along with his fluidity, ball skills and large-catch radius. Howard has also done a better job asserting himself as a blocker. While he is underutilized in this Alabama offense, the golden rule of scouting is "traits over production" and Howard should test well throughout the draft process if he leaves Tuscaloosa early for the 2016 NFL Draft.

I read this before the game and I was very interested. He really looks the part. I think he should be on the Rams radar. Have to do more research. Last night didn't hurt him any even with the injuries in the Clemson secondary.

Stel

Starter
He is probably the most physically talented TE in the draft but has been inconsistent. Have also read that his work ethic isn't the best, but he is a kid with talent who never had to work hard. If the light comes on and he applies himself to his craft, he could be an excellent NFL TE for years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lane Kiffin has a way of freezing talent out....Rather, he finds his guy, and has the QB target them, and it wasn't OJ....OJ needs an offense that looks to the TE....Just looking at him, he's better prepared to dominate the pro game than the top ranked TE on many/most boards, Hunter Henry. Much better athlete than Kendricks...Still developing...only question, does he have those special hands? the mitts? Grab anything....Love to see him at the combine...
Very talented, but tends to double catch the ball, and at least on one huge play, caused a timeout in the red zone, when he wouldn't listen to his QB, as where to line up.

His talent was on display for all to see, the swing pass, and him getting the edge, shows what kind of athlete he is. He appears to have elite NFL talent at his position, and as Stel says, if he applies himself....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a huge fan of him. Ridiculously gifted but ridiculously inconsistent. Jared Cook isn't a bad comparison. Has the talent to be great but his game film shows a guy that can't put it together consistently and takes plays off.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys

Clemson was missing their top CB and as a result shuffled their secondary to cover for it. They still left Howard uncovered too often. Missing a possible top ten pick CB will affect your pass defense. Howard has talent but so far hadn't lived up to it, sounds like what we currently have at TE, physical talent that under performs.

That CB wouldn't happen to be Tye Hill woud it? J/k of course. Every time I think Clemson CB I automatically think of him.

Wouldn't use a high pick on Cook 2.0.

Interesting comp but from the sounds of it may be right on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, first time I watched him play Cook came to mind. Long on talent, short on production? Pass.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah, first time I watched him play Cook came to mind. Long on talent, short on production? Pass.

I'm not ruling him out just yet nor endorsing him either. I do think that he played on a team that had other offensive weapons and a strong running game that did focus on him in the passing game. Guys like Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry and Calvin Ridley come to mind. The Cook analogy is scarey but, I like to see more. I did see him willing to block and the reports say he is getting better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not ruling him out just yet nor endorsing him either. I do think that he played on a team that had other offensive weapons and a strong running game that did focus on him in the passing game. Guys like Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry and Calvin Ridley come to mind. The Cook analogy is scarey but, I like to see more. I did see him willing to block and the reports say he is getting better.

I'm done with great athletes that are not consistent on gameday, projects, etc. Rams IMO need to draft guys who produce. Guys who have great hands and can run routes, even if they sacrifice the high end ceiling a bit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm done with great athletes that are not consistent on gameday, projects, etc. Rams IMO need to draft guys who produce. Guys who have great hands and can run routes, even if they sacrifice the high end ceiling a bit.

I agree totally. The Seahawks drafted guys with great hands. They weren't the flashy receivers but they understand how to work with a scrambling Qb and they catch everything. Guys like that aren't first round picks. That is a starting point then you add better as you can. Fisher and Snead love the athletic freaks but damn, sometimes, especially at WR, you need football players that understand the game, their jobs, and work hard at their craft.

Ram65

Legend
He may not enter the draft.
Click to read article..
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-meet-with-saban-before-making-draft-decision
O.J. Howard to meet with Saban before making draft decision...

Here is a breakdown with GIfs
http://draftbreakdown.com/memberarticles/2016-nfl-draft-evaluating-o-j-howards-nfl-potential/
2016 NFL Draft: Evaluating O.J. Howard’s NFL Potential
Written by Ryan Ratty on January 5, 2016
Alabama is known for producing top-tier talent to the NFL and when you think about this year’s team, the first names that come to mind are A’Shawn Robinson, Reggie Ragland, and Derrick Henry. Another name that should be known as the draft nears is none other than O.J. Howard. Blessed with a good combination of size and speed, Howard provides that matchup-nightmare that so many NFL defenses have a tough time defending.

The golden key to scouting is to not care about the production of the player. This is the prime example of Howard. In three seasons with the Crimson Tide, Howard caught just 64 yards for 923 yards and just two touchdowns. Despite his lack of usage, NFL teams will look at Howard and like how he didn’t complain about his role. There are a ton of traits to like out of the junior. Let’s take a look at Howard’s tape and see how he projects to the NFL.

The first GIF is an example of Howard’s ability to seal the edge in the blocking game. In Alabama’s scheme, Howard is continuously asked to either trap block or block the defensive end. In this GIF, Howard’s blocking leads to a touchdown. Howard’s frame has the look of an athletic hybrid type of wide receiver/tight end, but his college tape shows a guy that can block on the line with consistency. That will intrigue many teams.

Because he’s so big at 6-foot-6, 242 pounds, Howard is such an athletic option in the open field. In this GIF, we see Howard’s ability after-the-catch.

Here’s another example of what Howard can do when the football is in his hands.

In the next GIF, we see Howard flash his strong hands and pick the yards that are needed for a first down. This is something Howard can do with consistency at the next level.

Draft Outlook

Howard is the type of player that will likely go before the end of Round 3. Because Howard is fast enough to line up outside and strong enough to line up in-line, there will be a ton of NFL teams that will line up to bring the former 5-star and his potential.

Games watched: LSU, Ole Miss, Middle Tennessee State, and Florida (2014).

Best Fits

When I think of Howard and how a team can get the most out of him, it’s his athleticism that needs to be taken advantage of. Howard provides so much speed and wiggle down the field that it will allow other receivers to command less attention. If Howard goes to a team that doesn’t have an identity, I think he could get lost in translation a little bit. That’s why I think a team like the Arizona Cardinals could really get the most out of Howard.

Other possible fits include the Denver Broncos, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the New York Giants.

Ryan Ratty