Ohio State CB Bradley Roby

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Bradley Roby talks about his strengths, hopes to prove his critics wrong
Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2014

roby.jpg
AP

Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby has emerged as one of the top defensive backs in the draft. He joined Friday’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN to discuss his game as he prepares to make the jump to the next level.

“I think my man to man is the best out of all of them,” Roby said when asked to identify what he does better than any other cornerback in the draft. “Just my press coverage, making plays, I think making plays might be one, too. I make a lot of plays, not even at corner, at special teams, too. I’ve blocked my share of punts, and I just make the plays wherever I’m on the field, so I think that’s what really separates me. I’m a playmaker, I’m a game changer, when I’m on the field, there’s going to be a difference made in that game, and that’s what I strive to do, that’s why I love to play football, and that’s something I think that I have over everybody else.”

Few football players are immune from critics, so Roby was asked to identify a criticism that he believes is unfair.

“That I don’t try hard,” Roby said. “Some people question my effort. This last year people were saying that I wasn’t trying hard and things like that, but you know I give everything I have for football. I love to play, it’s what I’ve always wanted to do as a kid. It’s my dream to play in the NFL, and the fact that people say, “Oh he doesn’t love to play football, doesn’t love the game,’ that’s one thing that really gets to me, because there’s nothing I’d rather be doing than playing football.”

Before he can play football in the NFL, Roby needs to be drafted. And he said he won’t be sweating if more and more names other than his are called out at Radio City Music Hall.

“I don’t think I’ll be nervous,” Roby said. “I mean I’m saying that now, there’s a whole month out. . . . I honestly think that God has a plan for me, and that it’s already written so there’s no need to be worried, there’s no need to be nervous because I’ll be where I need to be at the end of the day. I think that I’ll be put in a situation that I can flourish in. I know the effort that I’m going to put in. And I know that I’ll be in a situation that when I put my best foot forward I’ll succeed.

“So I’m not really worried about it, I can sit in the green room all day, that’s more TV time for me,” Roby said with a laugh. “So I’m not worried about it.”

Roby added that he hasn’t decided with certainty to attend the draft into person, but that he’s thinking about it carefully.

“Just being at Radio City and hearing my name called and walking on the stage, shaking the Commissioner’s hand. Not many people get the opportunity to do that, so that’s something I’ll definitely be considering.”

The Commissioner, of course, dispenses bear hugs not handshakes at the draft. But the first bear hug from Roby will be reserved for someone else.

“I will definitely be giving my mom the biggest hug ever,” Roby said. “She’s always been there for me, she raised me by herself, and she taught me how to work hard. I saw her work ethic in her job and it showed me how to work hard, and I just applied that to football, and just for her to be there with me at that time I’ll probably hug her to death. Just her being there and sharing that moment with her will be great.”

That moment is coming in less than five weeks for Roby and the rest of the players who’ll be selected in the first three rounds of the draft. As the day approaches, Roby seems to have the right attitude.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
4th best CB in this draft? He may be in the Ram's wheelhouse if the cards fall that way. I could live with that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
4th best CB in this draft? He may be in the Ram's wheelhouse if the cards fall that way. I could live with that.
Definitely one of the guys we should be looking at in the 2nd rd if we shore up OLine in the first...and if he drops there.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
He will be taken in the 20's I think.. There will be a run on corners.. If we trade down from 13 his on my short list... For what it's worth

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope he ends up somewhere other than St Louis. I dont see him as being a great corner. He lacks instincts and was able to make up for his mistakes with his speed. He throws his body instead of tackling and he is prone to late hits.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Agree with Elm. Earliest I would grab him is in the 3rd, and thats if we already grabbed a CB since Roby needs lots and lots of work and wouldnt be starting anytime soon hopefully

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We spend a lot of time scouting OSU games this year. Multiple guys on the Rams radar there.

Shazier has already visited this week.

I hope he ends up somewhere other than St Louis. I dont see him as being a great corner. He lacks instincts and was able to make up for his mistakes with his speed. He throws his body instead of tackling and he is prone to late hits.

Agree with Elm. Earliest I would grab him is in the 3rd, and thats if we already grabbed a CB since Roby needs lots and lots of work and wouldnt be starting anytime soon hopefully

I'm with both of you, I don't rate him much.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We spend a lot of time scouting OSU games this year. Multiple guys on the Rams radar there.

Shazier has already visited this week.

I thinkShazier is a bit overrated as well. But Snead loves the Measurables guys. Shazier is a pass rushing weapon but is not good against the run. He gets lost in traffic when playing the run. He has trouble getting off blocks. But he is a terror when rushing the QB. He has great speed. I think he would have to be used on passing downs because he is a liability against the run. He is a poor tackler too. I am surprised by the Rams interest in him because he may go round1 and that is high for a part time player.

Of all OSU players available I think Carlos Hyde would be a good choice for the Rams if they wanted another RB. My sleeper for a backup QB is Kenny Guiton. He came in for the Buckeyes and rallied them from behind on more than one occasion. He is a good leader and the team responded to him. He is a pretty accurate passer too. I doubt the Rams take him though because the seem to prefer bigger athletes overall.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've watched every Ohio State game for the last 15 years and I would pass on Roby because IMO when he was matched up against a top notch wide out, he got beat often. Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin abused Roby for example. Roby gambles far too much so I feel I've watched him more than most and although he looks the part so did Warren G. Harding and you know the rest of the story!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've watched every Ohio State game for the last 15 years and I would pass on Roby because IMO when he was matched up against a top notch wide out, he got beat often. Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin abused Roby for example. Roby gambles far too much so I feel I've watched him more than most and although he looks the part so did Warren G. Harding and you know the rest of the story!

I watch a lot of Big Ten games. You an Ohio State fan? I never understood the lofty rating for Roby.

BTW if you are an OSU fan look out for James Franklin. He is kicking but in recruiting this year! 2nd rated class in the country atm. Another couple of years and they will be back on the rankings map.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I watch a lot of Big Ten games. You an Ohio State fan? I never understood the lofty rating for Roby.

BTW if you are an OSU fan look out for James Franklin. He is kicking but in recruiting this year! 2nd rated class in the country atm. Another couple of years and they will be back on the rankings map.

Yes I'm a bid Ohio State Fan was assigned to Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton and got consumed in Columbus attending many games. Like I posted Roby looks the part in so many ways that's why his lofty rating and he's a good tackler, but that is because he gets plenty of practice getting beat so often. As to the future of the program until they beat an SEC team for a national title the Buckeyes and the Big Ten will always be considered overrated. They need to pull off what FSU did going forward.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They aren't that far off. Michigan State and OSU have really closed the gap with SEC and soon PSU with Franklin as coach will do the same. College football is cyclical.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They aren't that far off. Michigan State and OSU have really closed the gap with SEC and soon PSU with Franklin as coach will do the same. College football is cyclical.

Franklin is one heck of a Football Coach and the future for Penn State looks great and I agree about Michigan State coached by former Buckeye Defensive Coordinator Mark Dantonio, but the Buckeyes have a history of providing great Head Coaches to the State of Michigan along with the players too!

A55VA6

Legend
I like him. I think he'll be a late 1st rounder, early 2nd at worst. I wouldn't mind him being a Ram at all! I do like Gilbert and Dennard more though.