Oh Crap... Hackett has Scheduled a 2nd visit with the Rams.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really know much about the Bills personnel, but a RB wouldn't be of much use if they couldn't run between the tackles and Jackson managed 60 catches for 500 yards last year, so... yes?

yes but bills fans will never know what spiller could have done with those 60 catches, so ... no?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I saw maybe 5 Bills games last season. Wasn't impressed with the playcalling in any one of them. Combine that with Bills fans hating him, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Hackett. I honestly think he's a worse coordinator than Schotty, and Schotty isn't that great himself.

I think we could do a lot better. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I hope I am, but the FO sees something I don't apparently, his body of work is unimpressive to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to prematurely judge Hackett. Marrone apparently took over the play-calling duties and handcuffed Hackett. I can't judge the guy when his head coach wouldn't give him a true shot.

Maybe that speaks badly of him...but with all the reports coming out about Marrone's ego and control freak tendencies, I'm not ready to go that far yet.

If the Rams hire him, I'll give him a fair shot.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not going to prematurely judge Hackett. Marrone apparently took over the play-calling duties and handcuffed Hackett. I can't judge the guy when his head coach wouldn't give him a true shot.

Maybe that speaks badly of him...but with all the reports coming out about Marrone's ego and control freak tendencies, I'm not ready to go that far yet.

If the Rams hire him, I'll give him a fair shot.

If that's true, I'll give him a fair shot. I just don't want the Rams to end up downgrading at OC, that's the last thing we need.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't see how fans opinions of a co-ordinator mean much of anything tbh.
As we found out with our own Greg Williams this last year, a co-ordinator can go from saviour, to villian, back to hero in the space of a season.
Greg Roman is another example, the Whiners fans loved him until this year, then they couldn't wait to see him leave.
The success of a co-ordinator is very much tied into the ability of the players at his disposal. When the Rams D players finally caught on with the scheme, Williams was all of a sudden much better. When Nathaniel Hackett had EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at QB his offense wasn't good, I wouldn't say that's particularly surprising.

While I agree players play a role, coordinators wouldn't get paid what they do unless they were important. Fans opinions usually don't matter when looking at a small sample size, like the case with Williams in the first half of the season. I think fans like him much more now that they have at least a year to go off of. I still wouldn't say that's enough but fans usually get a decent feel for a coach or player after two or three years. While the QB situation wasn't ideal in Buffalo, there are still instances where you can draw opinions of the OC, similar to Schotty's tenure here in STL. For example, with Schotty, we may not have had good QB play but you could still see there were deficiencies with his play calling by the way he couldn't make adjustments as the game went on, taking forever to even try certain plays that best suit certain players, trying plays that have little chance of working whether the players executed or not, etc.

The Buffalo fans could very well have it all wrong on Hackett but I'm not going to ignore them. IMO, the fans were right about Schotty. If Hackett gets hired, I'll give him a fair chance but the hire will do nothing with regards to garnering excitement for the upcoming season, IMO(Kroenke's pretty much ruined that for me anyways). To me, it reeks of the Rams settling for anything they could get, similar to finding the last girl at the bar at last call.

FRO

Legend
He sounds like Schotty and that's the style Fisher wants. I bet he is our OC next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't see how fans opinions of a co-ordinator mean much of anything tbh.
As we found out with our own Greg Williams this last year, a co-ordinator can go from saviour, to villian, back to hero in the space of a season.
Greg Roman is another example, the Whiners fans loved him until this year, then they couldn't wait to see him leave.
The success of a co-ordinator is very much tied into the ability of the players at his disposal. When the Rams D players finally caught on with the scheme, Williams was all of a sudden much better. When Nathaniel Hackett had EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at QB his offense wasn't good, I wouldn't say that's particularly surprising.

This is why you have to go with the coordinator's history.

Schotty's speaks for itself, so when the fans complain about him they have a lot of data in their favor. Roman actually put up good offenses, to include instant impact with a QB many thought was a bust beforehand. So when whiner fans complain about him, whatever. Williams was tarred and feathered early on by most Rams fans, those that ignored his impact and resume in those previous stints; it was dumb to decide the guy was suddenly a clueless DC.

Hackett has a very small sample size. It's not impressive, but he might actually be better than that sample size suggests. Hard to say, which is why he represents more risk than Chud, and it's why Chud is higher on the Rams' hire priority than him. Fish cannot afford to mess around in his fourth season, he needs to bring in the guy who has demonstrated success in his background.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope it's not him.

But, if they do hire him, I'll give it some time.

But, as Indian Jones said: "I have a bad feeling about this".

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure why people are so against Hackett. Have you guys really seen enough to know for sure that he would be a bad hire? Or are you just going off what Bills fans are saying about him? Either way, I don't think it's fair to judge how the guy would do here before he has even been hired.

IDK I trust some fans were Jet fans wrong about Brian Schottenheimer? Were Ram fans wrong about Pat Shurmur? Now granted you have to have players, but IMO fan will tell it like it is after you read through the gobbledygook in between the lines lies the truth.

There have been some coordinators that were treated unfairly by the fan base as one of ROD favorites Bruce Arians comes to mind in Pittsburgh. As to Hackett, he did do an outstanding job at Syracuse that I can attest to and ran a no huddle offense too.

Would Fisher give him total control? I am not sure and I not sure that Hackett would actually be the offensive coordinator they could be considering him to be a Tight End Coach if the indeed promote from within with Rob Boras.