Oh boy you call it. What do you think happened?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Decided to mow an area around some fruit trees that had not been disturbed since last fall. Another genius move was doing so after dusk. Push mower was a nice touch too.

Yes it is again that time of year in the South.

So what do you think happened?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Peach pit to the shin!

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I also get bees and wasp wars around my fruit trees. But not usually til it's ripe and falling.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also get bees and wasp wars around my fruit trees. But not usually til it's ripe and falling.
So very close. On the right track. Unfortunately this demands specificity.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Yellow jacket?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
A swarm of scary mother freaking flying things attacked you! Locust? Bees? Wasps? Gnats? All of thee above???

bnw

Pro Bowler
Yellow jacket?

We have a winner! The nest entrance in the ground was under some dead leaves from fall. I had no idea. So of course I run over the entrance with the lawn mower and stand there pushing and pulling the mower around trees and some blackberry canes. First few stings on the legs didn't really get my attention since I mow with the highest setting in shorts and as mentioned before with the peach pit it happens. But when I started getting the owies under my shirt and things started flying into me I'm sure I would have qualified on the olympic track team. :rant:

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
We have a winner! The nest entrance in the ground was under some dead leaves from fall. I had no idea. So of course I run over the entrance with the lawn mower and stand there pushing and pulling the mower around trees and some blackberry canes. First few stings on the legs didn't really get my attention since I mow with the highest setting in shorts and as mentioned before with the peach pit it happens. But when I started getting the owies under my shirt and things started flying into me I'm sure I would have qualified on the olympic track team. :rant:

I bet. Sting me enough times and I'm sure my 40 dips under 4.3 with room to spare.

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
No, though that is very plausible around here.:LOL:

Damn, was pretty sure I had that one. One of my good buddies is from the south and his pollen stories are the stuff of nightmares.

bnw

Pro Bowler
A swarm of scary mother freaking flying things attacked you! Locust? Bees? Wasps? Gnats? All of thee above???

Yes sir, and a few weeks back we had the no-see-ums real bad too.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just for the record, a yellow jacket is a wasps. I win! Lol

bnw

Pro Bowler
Just for the record, a yellow jacket is a wasps. I win! Lol

Technically yes it is a wasp however all wasps are not created equal. ;) And for yellow jackets that is the case too since these were the Southern Yellow Jacket (V. squamosa) which have the nasty venom and can have colossal colonies. I hope this was a very small nest. I spray foamed it good but never saw any dead ones which usually are present at the hole. So either I got it good or will get it worse if there is another entrance nearby. Winter was really mild so it could be a multi-year nest which is very bad.:eek:

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Rough bnw. Here in Sacramento we have standard wasps and hornets.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I was a kid, I was walking up our rather long driveway when about a hundred of those evil fuckers swarmed my head. No provocation. Just minding my own business. I sprinted up the hill swatting and shaking my head. Got bitten all over my head. All I could think of was WTF!?!

About three weeks later it happened again. This time I was pissed. I snuck back down to the barn and found a gallon of lacquer which I poured down their hole. I then lit the hole. It was great. At first a flame about a foot high was shooting out of the hole with the nasty little things burning with it. Then the flame died down a bit and was invisible. Invisible until one of those dickheads flew over the hole. It looked like a little orange flame would reach up and grab them. THAT's good entertainment right there.

I hate yellow jackets but they started it. And don't get me started about yellow jackets and hunting.