Ogletree's Contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Alec Ogletree is entering the final year of his deal at $8.37MM/season...

Any news on an extension?

Any guesses on how it would be structured?

His role in the new defense?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Inquiring minds....

I've been looking forward to hearing what the LB corps will be in the new system. Is AO an OLB in this scheme with a more traditional thumper in the middle?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No clue

and son of bum has used very low round draft choices to play ILB....I'd say his time is running out...unless he has a phenomenal season

Ram65

Legend
I thought Phillips likes a ILB that can move around and make plays. Tre does that. His long arms help him in rushing the passer and in coverage. Seems like you can't keep good players around when teams will throw boat loads of money at them. WE all know the Rams have to resign Donald too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@NateDawg122
@Mojo Ram

If we value Aaron Donald...and Tru....How are we going to pay premium at the ILB spot too? Where do we cut costs?

I love Ogletree's game. I just don't believe we'll have the funds needed to keep him. And I noticed that most of Denvers ILB's were udfa or 5th or 6th round picks.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Alec Ogletree is entering the final year of his deal at $8.37MM/season...

Any news on an extension?

Any guesses on how it would be structured?

His role in the new defense?
Very good question!! I think the Rams will let this year play-out before tackling this issue!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@NateDawg122
@Mojo Ram

If we value Aaron Donald...and Tru....How are we going to pay premium at the ILB spot too? Where do we cut costs?

I love Ogletree's game. I just don't believe we'll have the funds needed to keep him. And I noticed that most of Denvers ILB's were udfa or 5th or 6th round picks.
Well, Tru is only gonna cost us 20 mill per next year if we franchise him again....Lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ehh, the albatross contracts aren't really a factor in the NFL when it comes down to it in terms of hamstringing your roster. Elite QBs earnings can be a factor somewhat but i don't see those teams(or any teams) desperately trying to cut costs in order to retain talent.

Ogletree is a young, high end talent. Pay him.

If and when the Rams turn the corner we won't be paying premium dollar for kickers and punters i assure you.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't see the Rams floundering with Tree's contact. This retooled defense needs playmakers at LB more than ever. Fucking around and losing Tree would be stupid.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah been thinking about LB and it might be more of a priority than many of us have considered it to be...

ILB duo is a concern. SAM is a concern. And the OP makes a good point with AO's contract situation, didn't realize he was coming up. And that's not considering if Quinn doesn't have a bounceback season.

I already expected the Rams to get some defense in this draft, but yeah LB might be a big deal for us.

Ram65

Legend
Ehh, the albatross contracts aren't really a factor in the NFL when it comes down to it in terms of hamstringing your roster. Elite QBs earnings can be a factor somewhat but i don't see those teams(or any teams) desperately trying to cut costs in order to retain talent.

Ogletree is a young, high end talent. Pay him.

If and when the Rams turn the corner we won't be paying premium dollar for kickers and punters i assure you.

I was thinking Barron could be cut next year. The Rams gave him a really good contract. It may be too good. They can save 7M but have 3M as dead money. He counts 10M next year. It hard to keep paying everyone. Tree over Barron.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/mark-barron-9817/

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I will say this I think we need to secure Tree and Donald up, restructure Brockers deal and figure out something at the CB position. The handling of the CB spot has been shit tbh. Tru at 16 mill this year? Seriously?

We need to restructure Tavons deal somehow but think that won't play out well. Stupid Fisher man.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Keep Tree at any cost. All Pro linebackers like him should be paid.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it would be a problem to pay Ogletree and AD. Especially with the cap continuing to rise and us not signing guys long term. There should be a lot of money freeing up. I think Tree at about 10 million a yr sounds right it definitely depends on how he plays this year. If I remember correct we also have his option we can pick up too that give us another year before we have to franchise him

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
What's the point of drafting a player in the 1st round in hopes that he'll develop into a star only to not extend him when his contract is up?

I'm not saying Ogletree is a star, but he very well could be. He's the best defensive player behind Donald on the team.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I just don't like the wishy washy decisions, and last minute BS. Our top guys like AD, AO should of been locked in long ago. Fisher really did freak us good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's the point of drafting a player in the 1st round in hopes that he'll develop into a star only to not extend him when his contract is up?

I'm not saying Ogletree is a star, but he very well could be. He's the best defensive player behind Donald on the team.

Well obviously we will have to see how Ogletree responds to Wade and this defense. We all expect him to excel but that might not happen and it will expedite his departure.

Re: the draft, they have to approach things like they might not be able to get it done. The good thing is ILBs aren't a pricey or early draft position necessarily, you can get studs early on but don't have to draft in that range or spend a load on them in FA.

As much as I like Alec I'm not hell bent on them paying him early. Let him play lights out in his contract season and earn it, then see where we're at. Signing guys early is fine for a cornerstone player who you know is going to produce like Donald. But Ogletree hasn't yet proven to be in that class, he's still gotta take that next step to elite IMO so make him earn it vice projecting like they did with Tavon. That way lies madness.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
no reason not to pay him. Hes a stud, and contrary to belief of some members here, the Rams are in a really really good cap situation going forward. Tavon, Hayes, Sims, can all be cut next year with 0 dead money. Saffold, Barron, Quinn and Brockers (if he doesnt fit new scheme which I doubt) can all be cut with a small amount of dead money, but a HUGE cap savings.