Ogletree was benched briefly against Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's quite easy to understand his thinking, I assume that he would have looked at his draft board, seen that Minnesota didn't actually have a first round pick to offer and made the decision that taking an offer of none existent picks would most likely get him fired.

Okay your picking nits now. I just recall it was three picks, maybe a second third and fourth?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah but that is a bunch of what if's
warford is like that mythical unicorn - " we would have had Warford!" is about as courageous as suggesting we shouldn't have selected Jason Smith - don't get what Warford would be doing now that would be the difference in not making the playoffs and making the playoffs. Can you please quantify how exactly Warford would be making a difference right now...
Ogletree was a good pick at the late first round - he wasn't drafted higher, since the Rams traded down - so I don't get it - it's not like they pushed the envelope on him .....
Look - the talent is there - it has to do with the ultimate development of the player doesn't it? He should be an All-Pro with all that talent

Plus who would be in Ogletree stead at LB if not him?
BATES? who?
Ray Ray?????

With the extra picks they could have drafted another linebacker. Ogletree is not playing any better than Arthur Brown, Xavier Gooden, or even Gerald Hodges.

It was reported that Fisher really liked Warford. So it is not a stretch to assume that he may have taken him with Minnesotas round 2 pick. If they liked him enough then Warford, who went in round 3 may have been the pick and there would not be a need for a Guard. Or they could have taken Arthur Brown to play LBer. Either way Ogletree is playing more like what I expect a 3rd or 4th round lber to play. I never liked the pick. Like I said before, Ogletree is an athlete playing LBer. Lber is an instinctive position. The really good ones know where to be and when. They can shed blocks and they tackle well.

I disagree with the idea about 'should be an All Pro talent'. That often holds true for guys that come from smaller schools or that change positions coming into the NFL, or for positions that usually take a 3 year adjustment period, like WR and DT. But LBer is usually a position that is played at a pretty high level from the start......if the LBer is good. Remember Ogletree played LBer for a major contender in Georgia. He didn't lack good coaching or competition. It is no coincidence that 8 of the last 10, and 12 of the last 14, Defensive rookie of the year winners are all Linebackers.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Surely Ogletree is playing better than Brown who hardly played last season and has been inactive all this season?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Surely Ogletree is playing better than Brown who hardly played last season and has been inactive all this season?

Just throwing out names. Dont have time to do the research but what about the others? Was Ogletree just the best of a bad bunch? Then maybe free agency would have been the better way to go?

Maybe the even pass on a LBer that year and take a guy like Travis Frederick? And choose a LBer the following year. Forcing a pick is one of the worst things to do.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You all can defend Ogletrees play all you want. I don't understand it but go ahead.

What I see is a guy with physical potential that struggles to put it altogether and still has the same shortcomings that were weaknesses entering the draft. Poor tackling and difficulty shedding blocks. Despite the system change these are fundamentals that could/should be worked out by now, if they are going to be.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm pretty sure alot of people in here wanted the rams to go get that burflict(?) Character that killed it for the bengals since being there. Or was that the draft before?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You all can defend Ogletrees play all you want. I don't understand it but go ahead.

What I see is a guy with physical potential that struggles to put it altogether and still has the same shortcomings that were weaknesses entering the draft. Poor tackling and difficulty shedding blocks. Despite the system change these are fundamentals that could/should be worked out by now, if they are going to be.

I'm not defending him. His game against the seagulls was probably one of the worst lber displays I have ever seen. Every big play was basically due to him missing tackles or taking horrible angles.