Ogletree signs extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4 years 42 million with 30 million guaranteed.
I feel like we could have gotten him for cheaper?
Tree and Barron now sit at #4 and #5 for highest average salary for ilb in the nfl.
That's a lot of jack

I hope Wade Phillips signed off on that and has a plan or sees something the rest of us don't. Seems a bit pricey for a poor tackling linebacker.
In Demoff, I trust!!
I trust what Demoff, McVay and Phillips see in him.
in Wade I trust, sooooo...
That's a lot of trust
(I remember similar sentiments except replace with the names Fisher and Williams)... I know... I know... this is different (and I agree to a certain extent) but - when these moves happen "in the moment" and you're main response is "I trust so-and-so", it makes me nervous.

Let's judge him after the season, he's learning a new system.
Check back at end of the season.
Don't think he's played very well this year, but let's see where he's at when the season is over.
Agree... hasn't been stellar this year by any means... but le't see how he progresses inthe new system (tied to the above quotes about trust)

Yep. I remember many thought we shouldn't pay Jenkins, now look.
I'm still glad they didn't pay Jenkins... just not as good as his rep, IMO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will say, Joyner is growing on me...and I think he's kinda valuable now...

Consequently, I can't see a way we can offer him what he's worth...and with the addition of John Johnson....and Barron already signed...no way he fits in past 2017....

Maybe he can return from this injury and change my mind some more....

But if it's a choice between Barron or Joyner getting paid and remaining on the team....it's Barron...Joyner's not even close IMO>
Yeah - I'm not all in on Johnson yet. He made a pretty good play on the ball and baited Wilson but his feet looked like he was stuck in quick sand. You can't teach explosiveness and that in combination with his poor coverage on the TE in the end zone doesn't tell me that he is near the player of a Joyner. Joyner keeps everyone's head on a swivel. He has very good ball skills, and if he gets the ball in that situation - ain't no one catching him - certainly not a QB. Joyner is one of those players that would have encouraged Wilson to come after him. Dude plays with attitude of a LB.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That's a lot of jack

That's a lot of trust
(I remember similar sentiments except replace with the names Fisher and Williams)... I know... I know... this is different (and I agree to a certain extent) but - when these moves happen "in the moment" and you're main response is "I trust so-and-so", it makes me nervous.

Agree... hasn't been stellar this year by any means... but le't see how he progresses inthe new system (tied to the above quotes about trust)

I'm still glad they didn't pay Jenkins... just not as good as his rep, IMO.
But cheaper than tru. Jenkins contract doesn't look so bad. Say what you will about Jenkins, he seems to play every game. Tru breaks down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no issues with this extension of Alec Ogletree. The real problem is the amount of cap $$ tied up in the four starting LB'ers this season. These four have not performed to the amount of $$ thrown into this unit. I agree with @CGI_Ram & @den-the-coach that some-major changes are in-store for this LB'ing unit after this season concludes.

WOLB/ Rob Quinn- $10.8 million/ Seven yr vet
WSILB/ Mark Barron-$11.0 million/ Six yr vet
SSILB/ Alec Ogletree-$8.4 million/ Five yr vet
SOSLB/ Conner Barwin -$3.5 million/ Nine yr vet.

A 2017 salary cap total $ 33.7 million.

This unit has 3 first round & 1 second rd selections in it. This LB'ing unit has not produced the return for the amount of cap funds thus far. Many R.O.D. members here express high hopes for a big turnaround in this unit....I do not hold that opinion.

Strong Side Edge Rusher Conner Barwin is a UFA in March of 2018. So there is a high probability that CB will not return unless he has great desires to play for Wade & sign for a econo contract for a few seasons. CB can play both posts. The opposite side ER is Rob Quinn who has 2 more seasons under contract after 2017. Rams will pay $25.4 million for those next 2 seasons. This high $$ contact will be first to go to the chopping block when this season ends.

Mark Barron has 3 more seasons under contract after 2017. Rams will pay MB 28 mil. for 2018 thru 2020. Barron has played four defensive post since he arrived here 4 seasons ago. MB has played {Strong Safety, 43 D WSOLB, 43 D SSOLB, & now 34 D Inside LB'er post}. Says a lot about Barron's talent does it not? MB is currently leading this defense in tackles.

Alec Ogletree Led the team in tackles in 3 of his first 4 NFL season. On top of that AO did that starting in all the 3 LB'ing posts each season since arriving in the NFL. This is AO 2nd season calling defensive signals & is playing in his 4th new LB'ing post ...34 "D" Strong Inside LB'ing post.

Not real sure which of the four Wade D LB'ing post best fits AO but I am sure Wade will get it figured out. If AO is to remain inside then the Barron post is the best post for his talents. If Wade can find a legit Edge rusher either on the strong side or weak side besides our current Quinn & Barwin then AO can be inserted in the opposite outside & be highly effective too. Tree paired with Brockers on the strong side or Donald on the weak side would be a nightmare for opponents. Tree has a great ability to get skinny & move through the traffic in the LOS to get his hands on the QB or the RB!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So the Rams have locked up their two inside LB'ers with good size chunk of salary cap funds for the next 3 season to contracts, Both of thee defensive stars were drafted in the first round. Mark Barron was drafted #7th overall in 2012 by the Bucs. Alex Ogletree was drafted in 2013 Round 1, #30 overall (Rams). So do you thinks is rare in Wade's history to have two first round selections in his 34 "D" playing ISLB'er posts?

During the early part of the 2014 season the Bucs did not like strong safety Mark Barron ability as a cover 2 safety & they let it be known that they felt that Mark play was just bad. Mark was trade bait. Snead moved on it & traded for this all American SEC strong safety in October 2014 for a 4th & 6th rd 2015 selections. Many here were scratching their heads over this deal. There was a good reason for this too.

Snead had just utilized his 4th rd pick in the 2014 draft for Strong Safety Mo Alexander. Then on top of that Snead previously 2013 draft ....selected the team starting SS in the 3rd rd. of the 2013 draft named TJ McDonald. You could stop there & say Wow but in the 2014 draft Snead traded up for the NCAA national champions best DB in FS/SS Nickle-back Lamarcus Joyner.To top that off Snead also drafted another SS in the later rounds named Christian Bryant.

Tree by this time had been starting since he was a rookie in 2013. Tree started his rookie season @ Strong OSLB'er. In 2014 Tree was flipped to the weak starting OLB'er when Mark show'd up.By this time Tree had led the team in tackles for the second consecutive seasons. Tree started the SSLB post when he broke his leg & was placed on IR. Mark took over for Tree & led the team in tackles in 2015. Mark Barron playing a new LB'ing post.

In 2016 DC went with just 2 starting LB'ers Mark Barron & Alec Ogletree playing the Nickle as the base "D". Tree playing a new position @ MLB'er & Mark playing the WSLB'er with Lamarcus Joyner playing SSLB or the Nickel. Tree Has 136 tacks & Mark has 118 tacks. In 2016 Tree & Mark both moved into new 34 "D" Lb'ing positions Both getting a crash course of their first NFL 34 defense. Mark was injured through-out TC & pre season. Tree was used sparingly in pre season.

I been of the opinion since the beginning of the season that Wade needed a big thumper inside. But things have been trending better after each game. Neither Tree of Mark have ever failed to excel wherever they have been assigned to play @ LB'er. I might be relaxing some on that demand for a big thumper now. How could I even think that Mark was NOT a Thumper:thinking:.

Both of these SEC All Americans former 1st round picks both with long term Ram contracts that will keep them together until the end of 2020 when Mark is 31 yrs old & Tree is 30 yrs old. Hopefully these 2 can stay in the same positions for a while now after all that moving around.

Last edited: