Ogletree signs extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
We have had some curiously timed contract signings in the past few years.

I see Ogletree, Barron and Quinn coming around a little bit. Hopefully they are playing with their hair on fire from here forward.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This one made me go "hmmmmmmm"
Not bc I don't like Ogletree. But bc I feel like we could have gotten him for cheaper?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he tackled well and plugged holes as a middle linebacker in this defense I'd say money well spent. Unfortunately through 5 games we've seen very little of that from him. I hope for the teams sake he turns it around.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m not wild about the extension, honestly. And it’s not about the money part, either.

I actually had doubts about how Tree fit into this Wade D.

But I’m sure that Wade signed off on it and in Wade I trust, sooooo...

Question: Is it possible that they’re considering moving Tree to OLB to phase out Quinn? And as soon as this year?

I mean, they’ve already done some tinkering with good results on this D already through 5 games. Brockers and JJ? Could Quinn’s role be significantly reduced, as well?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tree and Barron now sit at #4 and #5 for highest average salary for ilb in the nfl.

Let's hope they are getting more comfortable within the scheme and their play gradually gets better the more comfortable they feel. The d seems to be getting better every passing week so fingers crossed.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*ogletree misses badly on a tackle on the sidelines vs Ezekiel Elliot*

Snead : hot damn, pay that man.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tree and Barron now sit at #4 and #5 for highest average salary for ilb in the nfl.

Let's hope they are getting more comfortable within the scheme and their play gradually gets better the more comfortable they feel. The d seems to be getting better every passing week so fingers crossed.
Yeah i just can't find a way to like the this

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Let’s consider the context of this deal.

This new regime is unified in it’s vision for the team and experienced at evaluating talent. McVay himself says you can’t take PFF as a good gauge of performance because they can’t account for the actual playcall and responsibilities given individuals. PFF rates Ogletree as a poor performer. Rams brass obviously has a different opinion. My eyes saw an inability to shed blocks, but were those linemen supposed to be at the second level? Was Tree supposed to hold his position? The first few games found several players out of position but since the second half of the Cowboy game, that concern has been improved. While Mo was released, Tree was extended. To question this move is akin to saying this administration is unable to evaluate this player properly. I suppose I’m just not smart enough to have confidence that my eyes as a fan are as good as Wade’s are as a coordinator.

While this move surprises me (I still think of him as a WIL in a 4/3, the Rams see him as integral to the future. I also think Donald would be wise to sign the Rams’ offer if it indeed would make him one of the highest paid NFL defenders while he’s still healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a solid player still finding his footing in the new defense. His talent is undeniable. He’s gotta wrap up on tackles better but overall I think he’s going to play quite well in Wade’s D.

I can get behind this thinking. I believe they overpaid him a bit, but that said he does offer great locker room leadership and he's been improving in this defense game to game.

What concerns me is the overall money locked into him and Barron though. But hey, long as they continue their improvement week to week I can deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I also think Donald would be wise to sign the Rams’ offer if it indeed would make him one of the highest paid NFL defenders while he’s still healthy.

I believe the USS Donald has set sail. Once the seaon's over the Rams will trade him I would guess, because they know they won't be able to sign him and won't want the distraction.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
With that contract they HAVE to move Barron imo. Can’t lock all that money into ILBs especially when they both aren’t even elite

NZRam

UDFA
Name
Sam Green
I think this isn't as bad as it seems. Ogletree is a real leader and a captain. I assume they will move on from Barron at the end of the year and put a rookie/FA big run stopping ILB next to him. He will have a lot less pressure on him then and be able to be more of a "football player"

Sappy113

Rookie
I believe the USS Donald has set sail. Once the seaon's over the Rams will trade him I would guess, because they know they won't be able to sign him and won't want the distraction.

I still think they'll be able to extend Donald as well. McVay has a vision for the team, and it requires us to hold on to what he deems as our core players. Donald is certainly just that. I think we'll part ways with Quinn and Tavon, and that it will enable the team to frontload the contract a bit more - probably not as much as Donald's camp would want, but enough to leave all parties feeling satisfied.

But we'll see.

I'll hold off on passing judgment on Tree's new contract as well. Don't think he's played very well this year, but let's see where he's at when the season is over.

…..

Legend
Tree still leads the NFL in impact plays for linebackers since he came into the league. So he does do a great job putting himself around the ball.

He has been less impactfull though since moving inside and I'm hoping we can get a big run stuffer in there so Tree can move back out and play in less traffic. He does better tracking the ball than he does trying to taking the ball head on.

HellRam

Starter

Wouldn't surprise me the least bit if this happens.

However I was surprised by this Ogletree extension. Thought the Rams were done paying a premium for projected upside. Ogletree's career has been similar to Laurinitas in the fact they both started real hot in the first few years of their career's. Then just kind of meh quickly after that.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tree still leads the NFL in impact plays for linebackers since he came into the league. So he does do a great job putting himself around the ball.

He has been less impactfull though since moving inside and I'm hoping we can get a big run stuffer in there so Tree can move back out and play in less traffic. He does better tracking the ball than he does trying to taking the ball head on.

It’s all well and good making impact plays but when he does that flying try grab a running back cruising down the sidelines it annoys the piss outta me

I’d rather he just make the damn tackle put the guy OB or down

I don’t hate the deal the money isn’t coming from me and I like Alec as a leader and a person ..no off field trouble in anyway

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Well we heard it was coming and here it is. Not sure what to make of it, though I'm not jumping for joy. Hopefully he starts playing more like a Fletcher and not like a Duncan from this point after getting the money.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Meh... Ogletree's annoyed the heck out of me this season so far - far too many missed tackles for my liking, he seems to have this arm flapping tackle attempt thing going on, which I hate - the same as little kids learning to play rugby...

In Wade we trust though... this regime seems to be quick to know who 'fits' and is 'coachable' in this group of players.