Ogletree needs surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh man I was afraid it was going to be bad when I saw it, then the replay looked pretty nasty. When I heard he might be back in the game I got my hopes up, damn it. Prayers for a complete and speedy recovery, AO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The way his leg flopped a bit, looked like a fracture to me at first. That doc posting on twitter at least aligns with what I saw.

I'd rather he shut it down for the season than do a Chris Long. He wasn't doing us any favors last season coming back like that and I'd have preferred that he focused on his rehab. Once you're broke, you focus on getting better asap. If it's something you can Macgyver, then fine, but if not, then don't, especially if there's a possibility of substantial harm in the process. We need him to continue to develop.

We're trying to build a dynasty here, people!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Next man up! Get well quick AO!
^^^ This

We all know it sucks but the defense still looked very solid after he went down. Besides, we could do far worse than Batesy as a back-up. I'm sure Tree likes the fact that his buddy is stepping up in his absence.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just glad it wasn't a knee injury. That's what it looked like from the replay.

This sucks big time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
frak.gif

RamBill

Legend
Rams LB Alec Ogletree to have right ankle surgery; prognosis uncertain
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13811619/alec-ogletree-st-louis-rams-surgery-right-ankle

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The St. Louis Rams will be without emerging linebacker Alec Ogletree for extended time, possibly the season, after he suffered a right ankle injury Sunday afternoon that will require surgery.

"Alec is going to require surgery, and I don't know the extent of it right now," coach Jeff Fisher said. "The doctors still have some discussions, and we still have to do MRIs and things like that. There's potential right now for [him to go on injured reserve with the] designation for return, but we'll have to see."

Ogletree suffered the injury with 5:44 to go in the third quarter of the Rams' 24-22 win over the Arizona Cardinals after safety T.J. McDonald accidentally rolled into the back of his leg while trying to tackle Cardinals running back Chris Johnson. Ogletree immediately grabbed at his ankle and was taken off the field on a cart.

Alec Ogletree
Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree suffered an ankle injury that will require surgery in the third quarter of the Rams' 24-22 win over the Cardinals after safety T.J. McDonald accidentally rolled into the back of his leg.

If the Rams decide to make Ogletree their designated-for-return player, he could return to games eight weeks after they put him on that list. If they believe he won't be able to return, they could opt to put him on regular injured reserve, ending his season.

Either way, Ogletree's loss is a big blow for the Rams' defense. He had 10 tackles, including two for loss, Sunday before the injury, and was the team's leading tackler through the first three games with 32, along with two sacks.

Ogletree led the Rams in tackles each of the past two seasons.

"It sucks. He was on a tear," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "He was on as good of a three-game start that I've seen. He was just all over the place on the field, really playing smart. You really saw his raw talent kind of come into form.

"It's going to hurt."

Daren Bates replaced Ogletree and finished with two tackles. Some combination of Bates, Akeem Ayers and Mark Barron will handle Ogletree's snaps moving forward.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
They way he was playing he was for sure going to the pro bowl maybe even make the All Pro team. I just hope he's back for the playoffs!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm bummed, but not freaking out because of Mark Barron. Not saying he can do what Tree does, but he can pick up some of the slack. Also Joyner has been playing pretty dang well so far at Nickel considering how he looked last year. Even if Olgetree misses the rest of the year I hope he comes back healthy and strong. He needs his speed for his game to be effective. I hope Lynch, Bates and Hager are brushing up on the D playbook this week. Between Barron, Ayers, Bates, Hager and Lynch I think they can collectively be an ok stop gap.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Barron is already in the weight room.
Come back strong Tree. We got this.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course we get a big win and lose a key player. On the bright side, I think the Rams did a good job bringing in some promising talent at LB. Bates plays with high energy and is pretty good at stopping the run, maybe just as good as Tree at that. Coverage is my worry.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
First E.J. Gaines and now Ogletree. I hope this is the end of it. That is two very good to excellent players that are out of the picture this year. OUCH!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Every team suffers injuries. Hoping our guys can respond well and pick up the slack. Tree's absence will be a big gap to fill.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
First E.J. Gaines and now Ogletree. I hope this is the end of it. That is two very good to excellent players that are out of the picture this year. OUCH!

It wouldn't be a Rams season without losing keys players to injury for the entire year, early in (or before....) the season. :(

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barron is already in the weight room.
Come back strong Tree. We got this.

We observed many different defensive packages in Sunday's game a ton of 3-2-6. The addition of Barron to this team last season was questioned when the Rams had already SS's McDonald, & drafted Mo Alexander & C.Bryant. But NOW with the lost of our best Lb'er is where Barron's presence will look might smart.

I would think that Gregg will just about keep Barron on the field 100% of the time now. Yes I know Bates will see plenty of action too but Mark Barron is a playmaker who's time has arrived.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll probably deploy more 4-2-5 formations with Barron playing the hybrid LB/safety role as well as Laurinaitis and Ayers manned at the linebacker spots.
This is what I think will happen.

Rams can "make do" with this...

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
We observed many different defensive packages in Sunday's game a ton of 3-2-6. The addition of Barron to this team last season was questioned when the Rams had already SS's McDonald, & drafted Mo Alexander & C.Bryant. But NOW with the lost of our best Lb'er is where Barron's presence will look might smart.

I would think that Gregg will just about keep Barron on the field 100% of the time now. Yes I know Bates will see plenty of action too but Mark Barron is a playmaker who's time has arrived.
That's an excellent observation. I was so pumped watching this game I had a hard time being analytical about it. How many times do you think they lined up 3-2-6, like 3 or 4? This is definitely a game that I'll have to re-watch.

With our frequent use of sub packages, I think we'll be fine.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am actually looking forward to see how Bates can do. Bates gathered two tackles in a pretty short period of time. The addition of Barron and the value of that should be shown now. Ogletree is a great player, hate to see him go down.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Adding Barron looks better every day. I was always on board with the move since we didn't give up much to add a high quality player. But Snisher deserves real credit here. Great foresight on this one.