Ogletree makes no apologies, blows gasket in new role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ogle ... -play.html

Bonsignore: Rams LB Alec Ogletree makes no apologies for blowing a gasket in his new role

Aug. 26, 2016 Updated 5:59 p.m.

ocjgby-b88784680z.120160826153858000g8jigbst.10.jpg

‘We pride ourselves on getting lined up correctly and being dominant and getting the other offense off the field,' says Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree, who has taken on new responsibilities this season as the team's defensive play-caller.
ED CRISOSTOMO, STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

DENVER – The on-field to-do list for Rams middle linebacker Alec Ogletree begins the moment the last play ends. And you’d probably be shocked if you knew exactly how little of it is devoted to himself .

Unless your current job includes management responsibilities.

If so, you can appreciate the challenges Ogletree faces now that he has added defensive play-calling to his job duties since switching to inside linebacker.

Or the headache and anger sometimes the result of trying to make sure everyone around you is doing his job. And how their ability to do so – or not – is a reflection of you.

It’s the complications of being responsible for yourself and a bunch of co-workers.

For Ogletree, that means hustling back to the line of scrimmage at the conclusion of the last play while digesting the next call from defensive coordinator Greg Williams – who is shouting in Ogletree’s ear from the sideline via walkie talkie transmission – then relaying the information to the rest of the defense and making sure 10 other players are lined up correctly and all operating on the same page both individually and collectively.

Then, at the very last second, shifting the focus back to himself.

Because, well, he’s got a job to do too.

Got all that?

“Yeah,” Ogletree says, laughing. “It can get frustrating at times.”

He can smile now only because the helmet is off, practice is finished and a late afternoon of relaxation awaits.

Keep an eye on him when the Rams play the Denver Broncos on Saturday, though, and you might get a different look.

If you watched last week’s “Hard Knocks” episode you know what I’m talking about.

Ogletree blew a gasket trying to get fellow linebacker Akeem Ayers to line up correctly just before a snap against the Kansas City Chiefs. Ayers was hopelessly out of position, and the Chiefs broke off a long play during their game-opening touchdown drive.

It was the second straight week the Rams defense let the opposing offense easily march down the field for a touchdown to start the game.

Ogletree, utterly fed up, let Ayers and everyone else around him on the sideline have it. It’s one thing to give up a touchdown, that happens. But for it to be the result of guys making silly mental mistakes and not being where they’re supposed to be is another thing entirely.

Eventually defensive end Robert Quinn interceded and calmed Ogletree down.

A few days later the fourth-year linebacker was a bit more tranquil about things, but no less serious.

He made no apologies for going ballistic.

“I felt it was needed,” Ogletree said. “That’s two weeks in a row we gave up touchdowns on opening drives. That’s something we don’t do and it’s something we can’t tolerate.”

Ogletree would have felt that way regardless. But he’s especially more sensitive to things now that he’s responsible for the Rams aligning and functioning correctly upon getting the play call from Williams.

It’s a new gig for Ogletree, who spent his first three years on the outside while James Laurinaitis called the defensive plays from his middle linebacker spot.

A new position and added responsibilities mean more shade on Ogletree. That sometimes means taking responsibility when teammates don’t line up correctly and the Rams give up big play as a result.

“It’s a reflection on me, Ogletree said. “And I do take it personal.”

Doesn’t matter one bit if it’s a preseason game.

“You definitely keep that in perspective,” he said. “But at the same time, you know, it’s simple stuff we’ve been working on. You just can’t mess that up.

“We pride ourselves on getting lined up correctly and being dominant and getting the other offense off the field. We want to create three and outs and turnovers and whatever we have to do to get out offense the ball. When we don’t do that it (stinks).”

Which is why it’s worth watching what the Rams do Saturday against the Broncos. It’s their last real dress rehearsal before the regular-season opener against the San Francisco 49ers, which means the starters likely playing into the third quarter.

The Rams defense, long regarded as the backbone of the team, has struggled a bit in two preseason games getting off the field on third downs and letting the Cowboys and Chiefs mount long touchdown drives. And that’s raised concerns considering starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety Rodney McLeod created huge holes by bolting to the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles, and veterans Laurinaitis and Chris Long were released as part of a youth movement.

The Rams are confident they have the necessary pieces to replace the players lost, but until that’s definitively proven it’s a concern.

“It’ll be a good test for our early group in there,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “I’d like to see the defense get off the field.”

That wasn’t the case against the Chiefs and Cowboys, who shoved the ball down the Rams’ throats to start both games.

“The things that have happened in the first half in a couple of these games have been very good correctable things that these guys have grown from,” Williams said.

Maybe so.

But Ogletree wants to see evidence of that as soon as possible.

Partly because he plays such an integral role in making sure that happens.

But also because he’s no longer afforded the luxury of viewing his job from an individual lens. Now more than ever, he’s connected to the rest of his teammates. Their failures are sometimes his failure. And it can be frustrating when objectives aren’t met.

“Because you know the potential that this defense has,” he said, “You want it to be perfect, because that’s what this defense can be.”

As Ogletree is finding, there’s some psychology involved in the pursuit of that perfection.

While yelling at some teammates works well, others require a more reassuring voice. As he gets more in tune with the various personalities, the communication should improve.

“Every guy is different,” he said. “So you have to look at each guy individually and figure out how they learn best and try to approach them in the right way to get them going.”

If you saw “Hard Knocks” this week, that sometimes means blowing a gasket.

It’s all in a day’s work.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Glad he was yelling....Our 1's on defense have looked terrible...no pressure...no pass breakups...db's soft on coverage while getting beat. Letting a rookie go up and down the field..then the following week, KC's offense might as well try on super bowl rings....I mean...yards & completions...I thought he was yelling at Brockers...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want him appologizing, it's his job to put a boot to some butts when the rest of the defense isn't doing what he's telling them to do. I wonder if Coach Singletary lent him a boot to use.

jap

Legend
Glad he was yelling....Our 1's on defense have looked terrible...no pressure...no pass breakups...db's soft on coverage while getting beat. Letting a rookie go up and down the field..then the following week, KC's offense might as well try on super bowl rings....I mean...yards & completions...I thought he was yelling at Brockers...

I don't know if I would be yelling at Brockers. I mean, supposed he gets angry enough to ignite the metamorphosis into The Incredible Brock? :shocked::hellno::death:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't know if I would be yelling at Brockers.
Brockers...an indirectly at Donald...for not shifting...and Ayers was getting in between that heat...and took some as well...funny thing is, Ogletree is huge...all these guys are massive...Guys like TJ & Tru, who look kinda small on tv....Are very large as well...It's like the most perfect 220 lbs ever...No stomach/guts...all muscle on these wiry frames...

jap

Legend
Brockers...an indirectly at Donald...for not shifting...and Ayers was getting in between that heat...and took some as well...funny thing is, Ogletree is huge...all these guys are massive...Guys like TJ & Tru, who look kinda small on tv....Are very large as well...It's like the most perfect 220 lbs ever...No stomach/guts...all muscle on these wiry frames...

Yeah, but Brockers has gotta be up there with GRob for the undisputed title of the strongest Horn. I do believe when The Incredible Brock and Gregzilla squared off at practice in GRob's rookie season, they must have come close to stopping the rotation of the earth. Brockers has the old Merlin Olsen role, the stud DT who is disruptive enough to consistently command multiple blockers, allowing easier one-on-one match-ups for his line mates.

'Tree: "Damn it!, Brock!!! Your screwing up again!"

Brock: "Are you talking to me, Little Guy?"

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, but Brockers has gotta be up there with GRob for the undisputed title of the strongest Horn. I do believe when The Incredible Brock and Gregzilla squared off at practice in GRob's rookie season, they must have come close to stopping the rotation of the earth. Brockers has the old Merlin Olsen role, the stud DT who is disruptive enough to consistently command multiple blockers, allowing easier one-on-one match-ups for his line mates.

'Tree: "Damn it!, Brock!!! Your screwing up again!"

Brock: "Are you talking to me, Little Guy?"

Just think they added about 385 pounds in one move too, NT named Cam Thomas.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm telling you guys, this may be the biggest concern on the team this year.
The defense being out of position is a huge concern. Alec is taking the correct approach so far.
I just hope the rest of the squad responds positively.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK could we say the defense from the front seven is basically the same since Gregg Williams arrived? We have a few new DT's in Coples, Easley & Thomas but they are all reserves. The DE's & DT's are long time vets here with the exception of a few 3rd & 4th string guys who are not playing when Tree in is there anyway.

Ayers & Barron are in their 3rd season & Lynch was here all last season too....not sure why they would not know the defense called? The back seven of Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Mc Donald, Alexander, Davis & Roberson been here since Gregg arrived too?

Have to say that both Lynch & Ayers had bad game last Saturday.Help me out here where's the problem at?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ogle ... -play.html

“I felt it was needed,” Ogletree said. “That’s two weeks in a row we gave up touchdowns on opening drives. That’s something we don’t do and it’s something we can’t tolerate.”

“It’s a reflection on me, Ogletree said. “And I do take it personal.”

“We pride ourselves on getting lined up correctly and being dominant and getting the other offense off the field. We want to create three and outs and turnovers and whatever we have to do to get out offense the ball. When we don’t do that it (stinks).”

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

Tree is known for his outbursts and fly off the handle intensity.. I welcome it if the the defense buys in and flags don't get thrown in crucial down and distance plays.........

giphy.gif

YawningSlushyCopperbutterfly.gif

autv6wr.gif

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Ogletree is going to be the scapegoat for any defensive issue, whether it's his fault or not. I'm confident that he can lead this defense, but I expect some struggles early on. A new position, a new role, and he's a bit rusty.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With Tree being Coached and Trained by the likes of Williams and Singletary I have High expectations for Him!!(y):D

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
OK could we say the defense from the front seven is basically the same since Gregg Williams arrived? We have a few new DT's in Coples, Easley & Thomas but they are all reserves. The DE's & DT's are long time vets here with the exception of a few 3rd & 4th string guys who are not playing when Tree in is there anyway.

Ayers & Barron are in their 3rd season & Lynch was here all last season too....not sure why they would not know the defense called? The back seven of Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Mc Donald, Alexander, Davis & Roberson been here since Gregg arrived too?

Have to say that both Lynch & Ayers had bad game last Saturday.Help me out here where's the problem at?

Not to beat a dead horse, but getting lined up correctly and calling the correct audibles. JL did a GREAT job at that - even given his physical decline.

I love Tree, has tons of physical talent, but that does not mean automatically that he can get people lined up in the correct spot or call good audibles. I'm not saying he can't, just that right now there seems to be an issue with this and they have about two weeks to figure it out.
I am cautiously optimistic that they can get it done. We'll see......I'm hoping for the best.