Ogletree looks forward to becoming man in the middle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Alec Ogletree looks forward to becoming man in the middle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...looking-forward-to-becoming-man-in-the-middle

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For the Los Angeles Rams' Alec Ogletree, a forthcoming move to middle linebacker runs much deeper than simply lining up a few yards to the right of his former spot on the weak side.

"I appreciate Coach [Jeff] Fisher and everybody believing in me to step up to the role and fulfill that position," Ogletree said. "The toughest part of that challenge will probably be making sure everybody is in the right position. It's going to take a lot of hard work, coming in early mornings and staying late in the afternoon, to just get everything down. But I'm ready for that challenge, and it's exciting.”

Ogletree's move to the middle means the Rams will have someone other than James Laurinaitis occupying that spot for the first time since Laurinaitis entered the league in 2009. Since then, Laurinaitis played more snaps than any other linebacker in the league and held down the position as the quarterback of the defense.

But the Rams believed Laurinaitis' production dipped enough that it no longer matched his salary. In a pre-free-agency purge, the team released him, defensive end Chris Long and tight end Jared Cook. By the Rams' own admission, parting ways with Laurinaitis was the most difficult of the three decisions.

Alec Ogletree
The Rams wouldn't have parted ways with veteran middle linebacker James Laurinaitis if they didn't believe Alec Ogletree is ready to fill a bigger role.
It's a decision they wouldn't have made if they didn't believe Ogletree is ready to step into a bigger role in his fourth NFL season, even if it's a role he has never played in the NFL.

"I'm confident that Alec can do it," Fisher said. "Alec is going to get people lined up. He's going to call the plays. He's a really smart player."

From a mental standpoint, Ogletree is taking on a much larger load than his previous run-and-chase job as the weak-side linebacker. Laurinaitis was so well-versed in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' defense that he knew every player's assignment and consistently put teammates in position to succeed. On multiple occasions in 2015, Laurinaitis checked out of a defensive call into one that resulted in a takeaway.

Those are things the Rams are unlikely to get out of Ogletree right away. He'll need time to adapt to his new gig. Laurinaitis was instrumental in bringing Ogletree along after he arrived in 2013. Now Ogletree will have to become the player younger guys come to for help.

“I have to basically grow as a player," Ogletree said. "Each year, you have to grow as a player and become better. So it's not so much changing the way I play, as far as running and making tackles. You still have to do that. It's still football, at the end of the day. But I do have to change my mindset of having to tell somebody what they need to know.

"Playing Mike, you have to know all other 10 positions, so it's going to be a challenge. But I definitely feel I'm ready for it. It's going to take a little more studying to make sure I have it all down. But for the most part, I don't feel like it changes anything.”

From a physical standpoint, Ogletree also has questions to answer. Although he almost certainly would have led the Rams in tackles in 2015, were it not for an injury, he has never been known for his ability to take on and get off blocks; instead, he relies on his athleticism to make plays. That athleticism will still come in handy. In pairing Ogletree with Mark Barron, the Rams should have a fast, hard-hitting duo, but there will be times when Ogletree has to stack and shed blockers to make plays.

Taking it a step further, Ogletree will be returning from the leg injury that cost him the final 12 games of the past season. He is expected to participate in all of the team's offseason program, so he should be healthy after a disappointing end to a promising season in which he had 42 tackles in the first four games.

“It was tough," Ogletree said. "Anytime you're not out there playing with your guys that you go through training camp with and the offseason, it's tough to be on the sideline. But I did my best to support the guys and just try to make it a good environment and help some of the younger guys coming up that was playing my position. So that's what James and others did for me when I came in -- they helped me grow as a player. And I felt it was my duty to help other players too."

With Ogletree's move to the middle, that's a duty that won't go away.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Not quite the player I was looking for to play MLB on our defense. But Tree is an upgrade over JL and that will benefit the defense.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not quite the player I was looking for to play MLB on our defense. But Tree is an upgrade over JL and that will benefit the defense.

upgrade physically ....Tree has to get the mental side of being the QB of the D like JL was

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just want to hear the 1st couple of reports, from Willliams, on How Tree is doing as the New D-signal caller!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"I don't feel like it changes anything."

Really? You haven't played since September and now you have to adjust to a new role and rehab. You better think it changes things.

And the Rams better have a back up plan or this could go to shit in a hurry.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I think his speed and range will help make up for what he lacks at the point of attack.
He may not be able to shed and fill as well as a true thumper,but he will be making plays sideline to sideline

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think his speed and range will help make up for what he lacks at the point of attack.
He may not be able to shed and fill as well as a true thumper,but he will be making plays sideline to sideline

Exactly

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Ive been coaching football for like forever(the little guys) and let me tell you I love a mike backer that can travel.speed kills.

Yes it does he will bring a different look to the defense. With that great sideline to sideline speed.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Expect a lot of hiccups during the first half of 2016. Hopefully Ogletree doesn't get injured when he picks up the role. We'll also be running a lot of 4-2-5 formations as well

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not worried about him making the calls. If he can't do it they'll have Barron do it, so it's whatever. The key with him in the middle is can he stay healthy. That's all I am concerned with. We need a healthy season by the whole team, really, but especially the defense and if that happens this team will make the playoffs.