OG Jonathan Cooper?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
libertadrocks said:
paceram said:
It seems like there are some concerns about Jonathan Cooper's size and strength from some of the Rams fans and possibly rightfully so but his size is approximately the same as Chance Warmack (Warmack was listed at 6'2" & 317lbs while Cooper was listed at 6'2" & 311lbs at the Combine) and Cooper did 35 reps in the bench (which, was pretty impressive while Warmack did not participate in the bench press). While I would still select Warmack over Cooper if given the opportunity I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams pick Cooper if Warmack, Joeckel, Fischer and Johnson have all been selected when the Rams pick although like many of the Rams fans have mentioned there is a pretty good chance that Cooper will also be off the board when the Rams pick. As disappointed as I will be if all five of those Offensive Linemen are gone it should mean that there should be some other pretty good prospects available to the Rams!

Cooper has had issues keeping his weight up during the season. He played at 285 at UNC. Granted he wont be playing in a hyper hurry up system here, which would help, but ultimately I dont think he fits. Cooper is a guy that excels in space. He is a prime candidate for any team that runs a zone blocking scheme.

Warmack on the other hand is just a mean, nasty, traditional OG.

This^^^ As far as I understand, Warmack showed up at his playing weight. Cooper showed up 20 pounds heavier. He was listed as playing between 285 and 295. Remind anyone of Bell?
I thought the weight looked good on him, natural, not like Reiff (Fred Flintsone) last year. It's been reported that NC wanted him at a lighter weight, because of the schemes they played. He looked light years better than Warmack, who lost pounds, on his feet. Warmack would be great if you just care about him blocking on the first level. He just doesn't block downfield, or run and pick up another block enough for me. I wouldn't pick him, and I think he will struggle with bigger, stronger in better shape players in the NFL. There, I said it. Out on a limb, all by myself.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
libertadrocks said:
paceram said:
It seems like there are some concerns about Jonathan Cooper's size and strength from some of the Rams fans and possibly rightfully so but his size is approximately the same as Chance Warmack (Warmack was listed at 6'2" & 317lbs while Cooper was listed at 6'2" & 311lbs at the Combine) and Cooper did 35 reps in the bench (which, was pretty impressive while Warmack did not participate in the bench press). While I would still select Warmack over Cooper if given the opportunity I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams pick Cooper if Warmack, Joeckel, Fischer and Johnson have all been selected when the Rams pick although like many of the Rams fans have mentioned there is a pretty good chance that Cooper will also be off the board when the Rams pick. As disappointed as I will be if all five of those Offensive Linemen are gone it should mean that there should be some other pretty good prospects available to the Rams!

Cooper has had issues keeping his weight up during the season. He played at 285 at UNC. Granted he wont be playing in a hyper hurry up system here, which would help, but ultimately I dont think he fits. Cooper is a guy that excels in space. He is a prime candidate for any team that runs a zone blocking scheme.

This^^^ As far as I understand, Warmack showed up at his playing weight. Cooper showed up 20 pounds heavier. He was listed as playing between 285 and 295. Remind anyone of Bell?
I thought the weight looked good on him, natural, not like Reiff (Fred Flintsone) last year. It's been reported that NC wanted him at a lighter weight, because of the schemes they played. He looked light years better than Warmack, who lost pounds, on his feet. Warmack would be great if you just care about him blocking on the first level. He just doesn't block downfield, or run and pick up another block enough for me. I wouldn't pick him, and I think he will struggle with bigger, stronger in better shape players in the NFL. There, I said it. Out on a limb, all by myself.

I disagree Doc. Watch Warmack in the title game. The middle of that oline was absolutely dominant, consistently getting to the second level and getting clean blocks. That ND front 7 wasnt a push over either.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
libertadrocks said:
paceram said:

I disagree Doc. Watch Warmack in the title game. The middle of that oline was absolutely dominant, consistently getting to the second level and getting clean blocks. That ND front 7 wasnt a push over either.
Probably about 98% disagree, but when I went back and watched more on him, he just stopped playing too much for my liking. He played great in that title game, but he wears down in the 4th gets shoved back into the QB a few times, and gets stonewalled, by who? Nobody on that line is draftable this year. Looked like his main guy was at about 280 lbs. Chance was probably close to 340 in that game. He's about 315 now. He played great in the title game, he was up for it for sure.

I should have clarified 2nd level blocking, he does a good job with a free release. I'm talking about blocking your guy, and then going and getting another block downfield if the play continues. Yes, the middle of that line dominated the game, and Eddie Lacy looked like a surefire first round running back too. If I just based my evaluation on the title game, I would probably rate him higher, but I can't. Warmack might end up being the best thing since apple butter on a fresh biscuit, I just don't think he will be. And I think there will be better value in the first round. People are going to freak out if we pass on this guy twice I think. I wouldn't mind if we drafted him, and you/others were right about him.

F. Mulder

Starter
My impression on Cooper is that he plays better at a lighter weight. As long as he doesn't lose strength he can make up for it in technique and athleticism.

OTOH, there are Guards who strike me as more maulers. Really depends on what blocking scheme you are running and what you expect/need from your OL.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
As much as I have a man crush on both top guards, and I really believe one will be there at 16, I really think pick 16 will be between #3-4 OTs prospects Watson being the last of the big four OTs, and "possibly" one of the top 3 DTs... Lots of talk of the top OT s going off the board early and offen even if it means reaching a little...

But I'm hoping Snead can get our ROT before the draft ! There is too many good combo's we can go on draft night!!