OG Jonathan Cooper?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Since it sounds like Luke Joeckel, Chance Warmack, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson could all be drafted before the Rams pick at #16 would you consider drafting OG Jonathan Cooper? The more I read about him the more I am impressed with him and think he could be a good pick. Then, if the Rams could pick Tavon Austin, Cordarrelle Peterson, Tyler Eifert or Kenny Vaccaro with their #22 pick I would be a happy Rams fan!

nighttrain

Legend
i really want our offensive line to be good, and deep. Aint no QB can make passes complete from the ground..
train

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm certainly not objective to Cooper but does that say we've given up on Rok except for depth at LG? I have no inside info but Dahl will remain w/ us at RG at his current price its worth it plus stability... and Dahl has earned it so far from my eyes. I'm on the S- Johnathan Cyprien wagon after I watched and read more about him. He won't be there for us in the 2nd let alone past the 1st round. I'm starting to get over Vaccaro as I think he's gone by 15 if not top 10. And of course Austin at either 16 or 22.
e3a3a9yv.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRambo said:
I'm certainly not objective to Cooper but does that say we've given up on Rok except for depth at LG? I have no inside info but Dahl will remain w/ us at RG at his current price its worth it plus stability... and Dahl has earned it so far from my eyes. I'm on the S- Johnathan Cyprien wagon after I watched and read more about him. He won't be there for us in the 2nd let alone past the 1st round. I'm starting to get over Vaccaro as I think he's gone by 15 if not top 10. And of course Austin at either 16 or 22.
e3a3a9yv.jpg

lol. Enjoying that Tapatalk app, eh?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BatteringRambo said:
e3a3a9yv.jpg

You don't think Cyprien makes it to our 2nd rounder?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I have Cyprien going to one of my mock draft teams ;) but in reality to our Rams at 16. Yea I said it and will stay firm.

Tapatalk kicks ass! Thanks for asking :mrgreen:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am not real happy with a Cooper selection with the #22 but could live with it because he fills a slight possible vacancy in the interior OL. The Rams have four OG under contract currently three of those candidates are under under 25 yrs of age, who are bonified proven college OLG's. 2nd yr vet Shelley Smith has always played OLG in college & last yr in his first yr in the NFL starter 6 games,played well enough for his rookie season why would we think Smith would not get better & improve & benefit from his first full training camp & pre season with Boudreau? First yr player 6-4 320 pound Brandon Washington started & played OLT in 2011 for Miami U, two yrs before that he started @ OLG. Rok Watkins is a little different story he played OLT & ORT his last season in college but was a OLG before that. Fisher's last season early answer @ the vacant OLG post was Rok Watkins. The Rams Org. has been praising Rok Watkins this month claiming that he has got himself in shape & is fully healthy.So the Rams currently have three left side OL'ers ready to go. Then why does everyone think that we have to have a OLG now? Would it be wise to see what you have in your hands not in the draft bush?

Jon Cooper is being looked upon by many as being better overall than Warmack???? Most draft sites now have Copper rated as top 15 and some top 10?? The Rams need several OT's in a worse way. The positive side to Cooper is this recent stuff about him being able to play CENTER. With Wells as our center you now automatically think we need a very good back up. I also have heard that Snead & Fisher want Robert Turner back real bad & will spend cap money to have him back in Ram uni. If that's true we have a crowded situation of abundance ongoing @ OLG! Cooper is no longer a need player!

Bottom line here is the Rams have IMO a outstanding OL coach in Paul Boudreau If I it were me & I was sitting there @ #22 I would select OT Menelik Watson from FSU. Talent out of this world but raw & needs instruction & guidance to get up on par to play in the NFL early. Menelik can play OLT-ORT or any of the OG positions. This OL'er is very special I would not pass on him @#22. Cooper stands to be gone anyway after his combine showing. Its the OT.s RAMS ON DEMAND 'ers not the OG's.

Conclusion pass on Cooper in the first but not Chance Warmack.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah sure, why not. Safe move. They can develop Rok for LG/RG and could replace Harvey Dahl later.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought the knock on Cooper was that his playing weight is on the light side and would be susceptible to the bull rush. Pardon me if I'm wrong but isn't that the main move of a DT or Nose Guard? The quickest way to collapse a pocket is if the DT can get straight line penetration.

That would concern me about taking him. Last thing I want to see is a Guard getting knocked backward ala Jason Smith at Tackle. We need a poxket for Sam to step into - not one that causes him have to constantly back pedal.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm just amazed at the stroke Rok gets. Isn't this the same guy who didn't bother to come into camp in shape and ready to play and was on the field for a handful of plays then gets hurt? It's not like he was a starter.

Just think that if a GM has a 1st RD grade on a player and would consider taking him at 16 or 22, that a having a unproven 5th rounder would hold him back.

O-Linemen are going to go like feces through a goose in the 1st RD this year, so if there is a worthy player there when the pick comes it would behoove the Rams to take him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BonifayRam said:
I am not real happy with a Cooper selection with the #22 but could live with it because he fills a slight possible vacancy in the interior OL. The Rams have four OG under contract currently three of those candidates are under under 25 yrs of age, who are bonified proven college OLG's. 2nd yr vet Shelley Smith has always played OLG in college & last yr in his first yr in the NFL starter 6 games,played well enough for his rookie season why would we think Smith would not get better & improve & benefit from his first full training camp & pre season with Boudreau? First yr player 6-4 320 pound Brandon Washington started & played OLT in 2011 for Miami U, two yrs before that he started @ OLG. Rok Watkins is a little different story he played OLT & ORT his last season in college but was a OLG before that. Fisher's last season early answer @ the vacant OLG post was Rok Watkins. The Rams Org. has been praising Rok Watkins this month claiming that he has got himself in shape & is fully healthy.So the Rams currently have three left side OL'ers ready to go. Then why does everyone think that we have to have a OLG now? Would it be wise to see what you have in your hands not in the draft bush?

Jon Cooper is being looked upon by many as being better overall than Warmack???? Most draft sites now have Copper rated as top 15 and some top 10?? The Rams need several OT's in a worse way. The positive side to Cooper is this recent stuff about him being able to play CENTER. With Wells as our center you now automatically think we need a very good back up. I also have heard that Snead & Fisher want Robert Turner back real bad & will spend cap money to have him back in Ram uni. If that's true we have a crowded situation of abundance ongoing @ OLG! Cooper is no longer a need player!

Bottom line here is the Rams have IMO a outstanding OL coach in Paul Boudreau If I it were me & I was sitting there @ #22 I would select OT Menelik Watson from FSU. Talent out of this world but raw & needs instruction & guidance to get up on par to play in the NFL early. Menelik can play OLT-ORT or any of the OG positions. This OL'er is very special I would not pass on him @#22. Cooper stands to be gone anyway after his combine showing. Its the OT.s RAMS ON DEMAND 'ers not the OG's.

I'm with you.

Warmack would be the only OG I'd spend a first on. We have greater needs at OT and that's what I'd be looking at if compelled to draft OL in the first.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:

Watson @22? I like him, but not that much. IMO, he's a 2nd rounder, but I think he helped himself at the combine. As far as John Cooper, if the Rams are in the market for a Guard, I think he's a good one. I'd pick him before Warmack, and I also like Warford, and a player farther down in Watford. I think Cooper's value is right around that #22 spot, so he's not a great value, but if he meets a need/priority I'd be OK with picking him. I don't think he would be a reach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I live about 1 1/2 west of FSU have lots of FSU family there...Menelik watson is the real deal bit old but a serious raw talent @ OT left of right. I like ORG Warford better than Jon Cooper myself. If Demoff-Snead & Fisher may try to get some of that 8 million tied up in Harvey 2013-2014 try to redo & extend Harvey & add two yrs to his contract 2015 to 2016 or just release him I don't see that but can Warford play LEFT OG? or can Harvey play OLG? I think Harvey can flip left and insert Warford myself.

I would pull the lever with Menelik @ #22 a little bit of a reach I have big issues with Menelik @ #16. I dislike reaching but for OT's I can live with it. Kyle Long started only four games last yr & it was @ OLG. We need OT's Kyle backed up the left side. Kyle is left handed. It looks like Kyle has the look of a ORT along with the temperament to go with it but zero starts = zero experience there.

A good discussion would be what to do when the three OLT's & two OG Warmack & Cooper are gone.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
I live about 1 1/2 west of FSU have lots of FSU family there...Menelik watson is the real deal bit old but a serious raw talent @ OT left of right. I like ORG Warford better than Jon Cooper myself. If Demoff-Snead & Fisher may try to get some of that 8 million tied up in Harvey 2013-2014 try to redo & extend Harvey & add two yrs to his contract 2015 to 2016 or just release him I don't see that but can Warford play LEFT OG? or can Harvey play OLG? I think Harvey can flip left and insert Warford myself.

I would pull the lever with Menelik @ #22 a little bit of a reach I have big issues with Menelik @ #16. I dislike reaching but for OT's I can live with it. Kyle Long started only four games last yr & it was @ OLG. We need OT's Kyle backed up the left side. Kyle is left handed. It looks like Kyle has the look of a ORT along with the temperament to go with it but zero starts = zero experience there.

A good discussion would be what to do when the three OLT's & two OG Warmack & Cooper are gone.
My son lives blocks away from FSU also. I detest reaching for OT's, it can kill you for years, and I don't need to give an example, we already know. Warford could play right away. To be clear, I am not advocating selecting Cooper in the first round. I think there will be better players, but the OP question was about Cooper, and Cooper is going to be a good player. I agree with you that Tackle is a much bigger need, because of some of the reasons that you posted earlier. There are a few guys that I think can play there that could be had in the 2nd - 4th rounds. I'd be very surprised if Watson was selected in the first. I'd be happy with him in the 2nd. His freak athleticism didn't totally show at the combine, but he has good feet and movement skills. His 1.8 10 yd dash would have put him below average amongst the other tackles.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
BonifayRam said:

Watson @22? I like him, but not that much. IMO, he's a 2nd rounder, but I think he helped himself at the combine. As far as John Cooper, if the Rams are in the market for a Guard, I think he's a good one. I'd pick him before Warmack, and I also like Warford, and a player farther down in Watford. I think Cooper's value is right around that #22 spot, so he's not a great value, but if he meets a need/priority I'd be OK with picking him. I don't think he would be a reach.

This is why I do forums! I learn a lot from guys like you, boni, and others.

Bam!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ryback

UDFA
Name
Joe
CGI_Ram said:
I'm with you.

Warmack would be the only OG I'd spend a first on. We have greater needs at OT and that's what I'd be looking at if compelled to draft OL in the first.

Completely Agree. Also, were are picks lay it may be hard to get a top tier OL. Thats the problem.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know about Cooper. In my opinion, Warmack and Warford are both better players from what I've seen. Cooper has big problems with the bullrush from strong, stout defensive tackles (he really did struggle against Sheldon Richardson and Dominique Hamilton in the bowl game against Mizzou; it was one of the only games that Richardson had any sort of impact, to be honest). He also had some struggles pulling against Mizzou's fast outside linebackers and defensive ends (Zaviar Gooden and Andrew Wilson gave him a lot of problems with their closing speed, and it caused a lot of tackles for a loss; both of them had excellent games. All in all, UNC didn't get a ground game going in that game. Every bit of damage they caused was done through the air.) Pass protection was good, but again, he struggled with bullrushes and faster ends like Michael Sam and Jacquies Smith lining up on the inside.

Maybe he improved this year, but from what I saw (which admittedly wasn't much), he was one of the most disappointing players in the Independence Bowl (aside from almost all of the UNC defense).

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems like there are some concerns about Jonathan Cooper's size and strength from some of the Rams fans and possibly rightfully so but his size is approximately the same as Chance Warmack (Warmack was listed at 6'2" & 317lbs while Cooper was listed at 6'2" & 311lbs at the Combine) and Cooper did 35 reps in the bench (which, was pretty impressive while Warmack did not participate in the bench press). While I would still select Warmack over Cooper if given the opportunity I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams pick Cooper if Warmack, Joeckel, Fischer and Johnson have all been selected when the Rams pick although like many of the Rams fans have mentioned there is a pretty good chance that Cooper will also be off the board when the Rams pick. As disappointed as I will be if all five of those Offensive Linemen are gone it should mean that there should be some other pretty good prospects available to the Rams!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
paceram said:
It seems like there are some concerns about Jonathan Cooper's size and strength from some of the Rams fans and possibly rightfully so but his size is approximately the same as Chance Warmack (Warmack was listed at 6'2" & 317lbs while Cooper was listed at 6'2" & 311lbs at the Combine) and Cooper did 35 reps in the bench (which, was pretty impressive while Warmack did not participate in the bench press). While I would still select Warmack over Cooper if given the opportunity I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams pick Cooper if Warmack, Joeckel, Fischer and Johnson have all been selected when the Rams pick although like many of the Rams fans have mentioned there is a pretty good chance that Cooper will also be off the board when the Rams pick. As disappointed as I will be if all five of those Offensive Linemen are gone it should mean that there should be some other pretty good prospects available to the Rams!

Cooper has had issues keeping his weight up during the season. He played at 285 at UNC. Granted he wont be playing in a hyper hurry up system here, which would help, but ultimately I dont think he fits. Cooper is a guy that excels in space. He is a prime candidate for any team that runs a zone blocking scheme.

Warmack on the other hand is just a mean, nasty, traditional OG.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
paceram said:

Cooper has had issues keeping his weight up during the season. He played at 285 at UNC. Granted he wont be playing in a hyper hurry up system here, which would help, but ultimately I dont think he fits. Cooper is a guy that excels in space. He is a prime candidate for any team that runs a zone blocking scheme.

Warmack on the other hand is just a mean, nasty, traditional OG.

This^^^ As far as I understand, Warmack showed up at his playing weight. Cooper showed up 20 pounds heavier. He was listed as playing between 285 and 295. Remind anyone of Bell?