Offseason regret

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/103492/eight-in-the-box-offseason-regret" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... son-regret</a>
Eight in the Box: Offseason regret

Arizona Cardinals: Pass-rushing outside linebacker is one position where the team could have upgraded more aggressively. Using a fourth-round pick for Alex Okafor addressed the position to some degree. Sam Acho, O'Brien Schofield and Lorenzo Alexander are the other players expected to factor on the outside in 3-4 looks. The Cardinals haven't been hurting for sacks. Their defensive front could generate pressure more directly if the responsibilities for ends Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett evolve as expected. But with inside linebacker and leading 2012 sacker Daryl Washington serving a four-game suspension to open the season, Arizona might need more pass-rush presence from the perimeter.

St. Louis Rams: The Rams appear set on defense except at safety, where Darian Stewart and 2013 third-round choice T.J. McDonald are the projected starters after the team parted with 2012 starters Craig Dahl (signed by San Francisco) and Quintin Mikell (released for salary reasons). Stewart played 83 percent of the defensive snaps in 2011, but his playing time fell to 7 percent last season. McDonald is just getting started. Safety is one position the team could address by adding a veteran as the summer progresses. For now, it's a question mark. We should note, however, that rookie linebacker and first-round pick Alec Ogletree adds considerable range and coverage potential to the defense. He could wind up drawing some coverage responsibilities.

San Francisco 49ers: This roster doesn't have many holes, so we'll have to reach a little. Some thought the 49ers needed to upgrade more at cornerback, but the team thought restoring its front seven would plug some of the leaks that sprung in the secondary late last season. On offense, hindsight says the team could have moved even more aggressively at wide receiver, but there was no way to know Michael Crabtree would suffer a torn Achilles tendon during routine offseason workouts. Even then, San Francisco was proactive by acquiring Anquan Boldin before Crabtree's injury. Swing tackle was one position where the 49ers arguably needed another option. Re-signing Adam Snyder provided some insurance there.

Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks, like the 49ers, have a roster without many holes. They addressed key needs for a nickel corner (Antoine Winfield) and pass-rush help (Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett). The offensive line is one area where the team arguably could have moved more aggressively. An injury to one of the starting tackles could force guard Paul McQuistan to play out of position while taxing depth on the interior, particularly if 2011 first-round pick James Carpenter doesn't shake significant injury concerns. The Seahawks believe in line coach Tom Cable's ability to make just about any situation work. He's their insurance policy.

Didn't we just sign Matt Giordano? There's almost nothing going on and he can't even try and keep up? :nix:

Anyone know what rating PFF gave Stewart in 2011?

FRO

Legend
My biggest regret is not keeping Jackson. I know he isn't the same level of player. I know we couldn't afford him. I would have liked to see him on a good Rams team. I'm nervous about the RB position due to the lack of proven guys. I know some have good talent and ability, I will worry until we see it in game though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Moving on from a team icon is always tough. On the other hand i want to win. I think the timing on this was very good.

jjab360

Legend
FRO said:
My biggest regret is not keeping Jackson. I know he isn't the same level of player. I know we couldn't afford him. I would have liked to see him on a good Rams team. I'm nervous about the RB position due to the lack of proven guys. I know some have good talent and ability, I will worry until we see it in game though.
Unfortunately, he needed to go for this offense to move forward, IMO.

He's still a decent RB, but he has lost almost all of his speed and takes the focal point of the offense away from Bradford. Our young RBs are very talented and add an explosive element to the O, we're better off without him.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't like the Safety situation. Wish we got someone a little better than Giordano. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Anyone know what rating PFF gave Stewart in 2011?
Something like this.

90jIFGX.png

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X answered:
Something like this.

90jIFGX.png
Thanks X!

I'm not sure what those numbers are saying but if I'm correct in the assumption that 0.0 equates to an average performance then I'll take it. Especially the pass coverage part. I don't remember him being that good but then again, when I watch a game I find it almost impossible to determine who was responsible for the coverage in a lot of the plays. Often I just look at who was the closest guy which I'm pretty sure, in many cases, is not the best determining factor. Especially in zone coverages.

Still, while it makes me feel better about his abilities that year it begs the question of why wasn't he able to supplant Dahl? Would injuries explain it all?

Anybody have a really good perspective on this?

Or even a bad one? :lol:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BonifayRam said:
Not acquiring a highly talented OT to back up Saffold & Jake Long!
Not to disregard your concern Bony(because it "could" be a need),but i think thats why Barret Jones was drafted.

A rookie is always a gamble but his experience with a big program and his versatility is obviously being counted on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A55VA6 said:
I don't like the Safety situation. Wish we got someone a little better than Giordano. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

In that Softli piece today, I tend to agree... the Rams add someone when cuts start taking place. We might be okay with what we have, but it's a dicey unit right now.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
mojorizen7 overstating Barrett's versatility:
Not to disregard your concern Bony(because it "could" be a need),but i think thats why Barret Jones was drafted.

A rookie is always a gamble but his experience with a big program and his versatility is obviously being counted on.

There would have to be a disaster of Biblical proportions for the Rams to substitute Jones for either one of them. I'm pretty sure that his versatility will be restricted to the G or C positions. Even then, I think Wells would be the only player who might get replaced by him.

Then again, we haven't even started TC yet so who knows.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
X answered:
Something like this.

90jIFGX.png
Thanks X!

I'm not sure what those numbers are saying but if I'm correct in the assumption that 0.0 equates to an average performance then I'll take it. Especially the pass coverage part. I don't remember him being that good but then again, when I watch a game I find it almost impossible to determine who was responsible for the coverage in a lot of the plays. Often I just look at who was the closest guy which I'm pretty sure, in many cases, is not the best determining factor. Especially in zone coverages.

Still, while it makes me feel better about his abilities that year it begs the question of why wasn't he able to supplant Dahl? Would injuries explain it all?

Anybody have a really good perspective on this?

Or even a bad one? :lol:
Albee, that was a huge question in this forum all of last year. I can only offer 2 words, injury, and doghouse. Stewart started out the season with injuries, so C. Dahl won the job by default. When I analyzed the games, I was perplexed every week that Dahl retained his position. It was the only question that I have had about this coaching staff, and I am pretty critical when I analyze games.

Maybe Stewart was overaggressive to a fault, or he wasn't doing what the coaches were asking. Dahl, basically played centerfield for us, the last line of defense, if you will. Stewart is a much more aggressive player, but he covers a great deal of more ground. Stewart doesn't make the safe tackle, he looks to knock you out, as Arizona found out when Dahl got hurt and Stewart came in for a few plays.

I know that Stewart wasn't totally injured, because he was active and played special teams in 10 -12 games this year. Stewart had 11 PD's in 2011, a good number for a safety, and had 3 sacks that year, to go along with 84 tackles, 67 solo tackles. Guess how many passes defensed C. Dahl had all of last year???

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM answered:
When I analyzed the games, I was perplexed every week that Dahl retained his position.

Thanks DR. We had a discussion about this at the Huddle too but I don't think we came up with an answer there either. I think many put it down to Stewart being in Fisher's doghouse for some unknown reason. Kind on like what happened with Fletcher.

Perplexing. :domg:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's what I recall Stewart came up very early in TC in 2012 with Hamstring issues....then calf issues... later in the season a knee issue followed. Others have said just soft tissue issues not sure if the knee was a soft tissue issue too. Anyway this year in OTA's Stewart once again was held out with soft tissue issues. It's been one thing after another for him.

Whereas Dahl remained real healthy. Other options in this new defense were UDFA rookie Matt Daniels but he was still rehabbing a surgical repaired knee back early 2012 Daniels miss all of TC & most of pre season. Then wk 8 Daniels went down with another knee injury playing ST's that resulted in another knee surgery. UDFA rookie Rodney McLeod was available but @ 5-10 180 with two ten pound weights in each pocket was green as can be. So in spite of all of the lack of skills that Dahl had he was the only option.

Many times last season I would have preferred the dinky Rod McLeod myself.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
mojorizen7 said:
BonifayRam said:
Not acquiring a highly talented OT to back up Saffold & Jake Long!

I think that the coaching staff saw something in Joe Barksdale. They had a lot of good things to say about him.

Plus, we've got some other options. Supposedly they really want to develop Nsecke...and Dahl and Williams can play OT in spot duty.

I don't think they are really any worse off at the swing tackle position as most any other team.

…..

Legend
All this talk about the safety position is what is "perplexing" to me...because there are so many here that are so willing to discount the loss of Dahl and Mikell based on your perception of good players vs bad players. You guys can get excited about the the young guys and a couple Vet special teams players if you want....but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and realistic in my expectations.

One thing I notice, everyone is so convinced how awful Dahl was. Strange that Fisher kept playing him. Strange that the 49ers gave him a 5m dollar deal. I guess Fisher and the 49ers know nothing about safeties.

My biggest off season regret was the day I slpurged on T-Bones and got a BBQ event going with some good friends, then I promptly overcooked the meat. Man that was regrettable.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i won't be missing dahl's ridiculous angles as the last line of defense against the run. he single handedly turned a nice run by adp in the vikings game from a 10 to 15 yard run into a game winning 80 yard td run.

give me stewart every day of the week.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Dog thinking we're underestimating the dynamic duo:
All this talk about the safety position is what is "perplexing" to me...because there are so many here that are so willing to discount the loss of Dahl and Mikell based on your perception of good players vs bad players. You guys can get excited about the the young guys and a couple Vet special teams players if you want....but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and realistic in my expectations.

One thing I notice, everyone is so convinced how awful Dahl was. Strange that Fisher kept playing him. Strange that the 49ers gave him a 5m dollar deal. I guess Fisher and the 49ers know nothing about safeties.

As usual, I have a couple of thoughts about that.

Ignoring for the moment that we here at the ROD are far superior in recognizing talent levels than both Fisher and Snead, how did PFF rate Dahl? How about Mikell?

Pointing out that Fisher started Mikell and Dahl says less about their abilities and more about the lack of options. I believe that the Rams brain trust mentioned during the season that we couldn't play much man coverage because of their deficiencies. Their names weren't mentioned directly but it was obvious who they were referring too. As our CBs seem especially suited to man coverage this was a very big deal.

Keep in mind that when talking about both of the players, especially Mikell, we aren't saying they were completely worthless against the run game. Mikell also did pretty well rushing the passer. The problem with both of these guys was their complete inability to function even marginally well in pass D. Dahl was exceptionally horrid as our last line of defense.

As for the Whiners signing Dahl, would you like a list of all the FAs we have signed in the last 8 years that turned out horribly? Think Jason Sehorn.

…..

Legend
My thinking is that teams do not sign "horrible" players when they have prior knowledge of horribleness. They dont pay them 2.5 M a year to come aboard and be horrible.

Dahl is serviceable on certain downs, pretty good in run support, but of course limited in man coverage, or any coverage for that matter. But "horrible"? I guess horrible gets you 5 million dollars these days.

Like I said...I'll be cautiously optimistic about TJ McDonald, Darian Stewart and Rodney McCloud until they prove they arent as horrible as I expect them to be. I'll be happy when we can clearly see this wont be as big a liability as i expect.

Jason Sehorn? they knew what they were getting when they signed him too!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
It will be interesting to see how well Dahl plays this season. As Finnegan said, "We know who to target" (paraphrasing here) :bg:
An additional added attraction when we play them eh?