Offseason QB Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I know, another one right? Well, yes. Went through the FA's, then the NFL rosters, and finally the practice squads and man am I depressed. So my disclaimer here is that I'm not gonna talk about all of them, only the ones that I think are fits for the Rams. Additionally, I have grouped them as option groups in the order I see them as fits. Here goes:

Veteran types (acquiring the first two would likely mean Bradford is gone):

1. Eli Manning. Requires a trade with the Giants, and an expensive one at that with a couple first round picks as likely compensation required. Only reason I think he may be available is that the Giants need to rebuild, and will probably reload the staff too so the whole deal means get some value for the QB who likely won't be part of it. He's at 1 because I think he's perfect for the Rams, who have just about everything else.

2. Mark Sanchez. Requires a risky contract, as he will be a UFA assuming the Eagles don't lock him down. Would he want to sign with an offense run by the OC who I am sure didn't inspire him? I don't know. But he is resilient to injury, knows the Rams' offense, and is heads and shoulders above the other options we are getting ready to cover. BTW... He has never had talent the likes of which the Rams have on their roster. Not even in Philly.

3. Kirk Cousins. May be a guy the Skins will part with given that he's #3 on the depth chart. Yeah, RGIII is probably gonna be dealt, however Cousins could very well be a trade chip. I see him as a distant 3rd veteran option behind Sanchez because he'll cost in trade probably more than he's worth. But he does stay healthy and could probably be average in the Rams' offense.

4. Brian Hoyer. A clear fourth in terms of a veteran option, but I am certain he will be under consideration unless he kills it with the Browns the rest of the way and they lock him up. Less pure talent than Sanchez but would also require a risky contract as a FA. I am not a fan of his, btw, but have him above Hill due to age and talent.

5. Shaun Hill. Jury is still out on him in a lot of ways. I still do not see him as a starter or option for the Rams to move forward with. If they can sign him as a backup I am certain they will, however he may be looking to cash in on his final contract. Lotta moving parts here, but he's old with a weak arm. Reality dictates that he's not going to be more than a very good backup.

Unproven types (pair with Bradford and probably Davis as 3rd string):

1. Johnny Manziel. This of course requires that he not play much, or that he doesn't play well the remainder of the way with the Browns. Many of you will think I'm nuts for putting him 1st on unprovens list, but I assure you he is a great match for the Rams. He can play, his off field problems are blown out of proportion to reality, and his drive to be great is extremely underrated. He would cost at least a 2nd round pick most likely if the conditions above are met.

2. Tom Savage. This requires a trade with the Texans. I realize I'm probably alone here, but I loved him before the draft, and still think he's a future starter in this league. He went right into Houston and beat out Keenum as a rookie, dude can ball. I'd try to steal him away from them, at least see what the cost of trade would be. He was a 4th round pick, so we're not talking craziness in terms of what he'd cost in trade.

3. Mike Glennon. He's never gonna be a great QB, but as a game manager he may have an upside higher than what the Rams have been getting. Has plenty of ability and I'm not sure that look he had with Tampa was being set up for success. Probably undervalued, IMO. Could have put him with the vets but I still see him as an unproven type option.

4. Matt Barkley. Matt has the ability you want at QB, and his time with Kelly surely has helped him to adjust to the NFL game even though he doesn't have the snaps. His potential value is that he wouldn't cost too much, we're not talking high pick compensation but he would require a trade.

For the record, my order of progression if I am Snead is as follows for right now:

1. Eli Manning (give up the picks for him, then trade Bradford for best package received)
2. Johnny Manziel (offer 2nd round pick if they bite keep Bradford for his last year)
3. Tom Savage (offer 3rd round pick if they bite keep Bradford for his last year)
4. Draft my QB of the future (keep Bradford around for his last year)

Then draft OL and watch this team rack up the wins next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would we offer a 3rd round pick for Savage? He went in the 4th round and hasn't played a snap.

Cleveland isn't going to trade Manziel and we shouldn't make a trade for him.

If we're not drafting a guy, I think Mike Glennon is our best option. I think he's undervalued because he's not the new regime's guy in Tampa Bay. Think we could get him for a 5th and maybe a future conditional pick.

Watching his games this year, I think he's shown enough to be worth that risk. Looked like a solid game manager type with starting QB potential. Don't know why Tampa Bay isn't playing him.

I don't want Matt Barkley.

And there's no chance in hell I trade a single first for Eli Manning, much less multiple firsts. Nor do I want any other veteran QB on the list except maybe Hill. But I'd want Hill in a 3rd QB role.

rambro29

UDFA
Bottom line is the best option is to bring Sam back and draft a QB. Because I'm sorry, none of the option listed by the OP makes any good sense at all. The only thing I will say. If Jameis Winston is still available to us we have to take that chance. He is a traditional pocket QB who can stand in there and throw accurately. I don't want to trade a bevy of picks either to move up and get Marriota.

SaCkaveli20

Rookie
Name
Chris
I never gave one thought about Eli suiting up for St. Louis, but now that it's in my brain.......I love it. A Lot.
He's beat Tom Brady for two Super Bowls. I think he's EXACTLY what we need.

Of course the odds of this are slim to none. But it's nice to dream. I do think we should give Bradford one more chance (BUT ONLY WITH A VIABLE 2ND OPTION) And ONLY on a restructured contract with no guaranteed money.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We are in a tricky spot;
  1. Even IF we were able to draft a top QB, would a rookie be ready to lead us deep into the playoffs?
  2. Even IF we signed a vet, he'd have to learn a moderately complex offense here. Would that lead to another slow start?
This team is primed to make a run. I worry about Sam's health, but he's also the most "win-ready" option.

I sure hope we figure something out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why would we offer a 3rd round pick for Savage? He went in the 4th round and hasn't played a snap.

If we're not drafting a guy, I think Mike Glennon is our best option. I think he's undervalued because he's not the new regime's guy in Tampa Bay. Think we could get him for a 5th and maybe a future conditional pick.

Watching his games this year, I think he's shown enough to be worth that risk. Looked like a solid game manager type with starting QB potential. Don't know why Tampa Bay isn't playing him.

And there's no chance in hell I trade a single first for Eli Manning, much less multiple firsts. Nor do I want any other veteran QB on the list except maybe Hill. But I'd want Hill in a 3rd QB role.

I concur here I do not want Eli and he'll be a Giant for life anyway and Glennon makes the most sense although I would like him to start dancing with the stars to improve his footwork! If the Rams went into next season with Bradford, Glennon and Hill I could live with that, but it will come down to how Hill plays in the next four games. If he wins them all, he could be back as the number one option next year.

Simba

Rookie
I am sorry but I don't want to hear any not ready name for qb spot.After Manning and Sanchez there is ... nothing.This is not the right moment for a gamble.We need a sure player for qb position.It was last year the right moment, non next.Please, don't speak about Hoyer, Manziel, Savage etc. etc.Mariota too, that I like, can't be the only option.We need a good starter qb, than we can bet on other rookies ...

FRO

Legend
Roll with Bradford and Hill another year. Draft a QB if you can get value when he is picked. Don't force a QB pick.

I think Winston is the only QB in this draft that could come in right away and help us. Mariota isn't a fit and Hundley is too green.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Let's just hope the front office learned their lesson by not getting a QB in the last 2 drafts to groom we are now in this position.We are a quality QB away from being serious contenders for the Super Bowl so let's hope they clean it up and we can start stacking up the wins.....GO RAMS

FRO

Legend
Let's just hope the front office learned their lesson by not getting a QB in the last 2 drafts to groom we are now in this position.We are a quality QB away from being serious contenders for the Super Bowl so let's hope they clean it up and we can start stacking up the wins.....GO RAMS
I can't fault them for not getting one in 2013, there wasn't much there to get. 2014 they should have done a better job. The problem is this years class has a few names at the top, then nothing.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Okay, one more time. Sam comes back most likely on his original contract. Rams resign Hill as primary backup. They draft a developmental guy or possibly groom Keenam as the development guy number three QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You're correct re: Savage. I simply have a very high opinion of him. He can make all the throws, dude has skills, and has an NFL camp under his belt. Beating out Keenum did not surprise me.

Re: Manziel I am not so sure Cleveland isn't willing. I think they're terrified of his off field potential to implode. Rams are a better fit with Fish at the head. Most don't like Manziel, I realize that. No worries, all this stuff is opinion driven and I also have a high opinion of JM.

My concerns with the draftees is the experience factor, since the ones I like best in this draft are gonna need a little time to develop. So I do think considering the previous drafted unproven types has some merit. But if they do go through the draft no worries, as long as they address the position I'm good. If they stand pat with Bradford/Hill/Davis I'm gonna lose it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay, one more time. Sam comes back most likely on his original contract. Rams resign Hill as primary backup. They draft a developmental guy or possibly groom Keenam as the development guy number three QB.

This is where I've got my chips.

I wouldn't be opposed to a guy like Glennon on board as well. I happen to think there is something there with him.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
You're correct re: Savage. I simply have a very high opinion of him. He can make all the throws, dude has skills, and has an NFL camp under his belt. Beating out Keenum did not surprise me.

Re: Manziel I am not so sure Cleveland isn't willing. I think they're terrified of his off field potential to implode. Rams are a better fit with Fish at the head. Most don't like Manziel, I realize that. No worries, all this stuff is opinion driven and I also have a high opinion of JM.

My concerns with the draftees is the experience factor, since the ones I like best in this draft are gonna need a little time to develop. So I do think considering the previous drafted unproven types has some merit. But if they do go through the draft no worries, as long as they address the position I'm good. If they stand pat with Bradford/Hill/Davis I'm gonna lose it.

Might be time to pad the walls, I think you're gonna lose it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Roll with Bradford and Hill another year. Draft a QB if you can get value when he is picked. Don't force a QB pick.

I think Winston is the only QB in this draft that could come in right away and help us. Mariota isn't a fit and Hundley is too green.

Concur with FRO that Winston is the most ready and if you come back with Bradford, Hill and Hundley for example that would be an upgrade over this year, but don't force the QB pick and they have to truly believe in the guy.

The other option would be looking to acquire somebody like Glennon for example and I am also interested in seeing how the Eagle QB scenario plays out. Do they go with Sanchez or Foles because if they go with Sanchez they would be looking trade Foles and unlike others I would entertain that thought.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I think as Ram fans we have to put our faith in Fish and Snead. They've shown to be very aggressive when in a spot to make a move. It's one of my favorite things about having them in charge and in night and day contrast to the previous groups.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Glennon looked pretty good last year and while he looked a little worse this year he is playing for a team that is just awful all over the roster. I agree if he can be had he is an excellent option, especially if they decide to keep Bradford at a reduced deal.

I don't think they are going to let him get away because he is young and McCown is not the answer for them. I would be OK with having Glennon as a Ram I think he's worth a shot but I don't see the Bucs letting him go because they have exactly zero options at QB. I'm actually a bit surprised they are not playing him his performances came against better teams and he outproduced McCown..........something is up in Tampa, who knows what, and you could be right it might be a case of "not their guy" but he is a better option that McCown and some local talk show guys here in Naples/Ft. Myers who cover the Bucs and Dolphins have been banging on that drum.

If they called today and said they would deal him for a 5th and a conditional pick as you suggest I wold hope that Snead pulls the trigger on the deal. I'm certain he would actually.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just do not see where the Rams are in any position or have any real options here to do much other than what they have had already @ QB in 2015.

#1-Sam Bradford remains here with some tinkering on his contract.
#2-Resign UFA Hill that has already shown he can win some games.
#3-Resign RFA Davis since he has been around now for several years & he can be retained for a small cap cost$$.
#4-Rams will bring back & try developmental Garrett Gilbert a over 6-4 225 pound QB or a running rookie like Blake Sims as a UDFA.
#5-UNKNOWN the best option non Ram UFA QB they can sign like a Sanchez or a Locker who the Fisher/Shotty know.

I would stay away from drafting a QB when you only have five selections, draft ammo very low to get a good rookie QB to be the man in 2015 is highly doubtful! Not worth the risk of further ruining your 2015 Ram draft need to make this upcoming draft a very good one once again. This is not a good QB class so I would plan to regroup after the 2015 season & regroup the plans on a QB based on what happens in the 2015 season. There is a possibility that if the Rams finally secure a decent strong OL they can keep Sam upright unmolested in that pocket even with only one good working leg. Protection of Sam should be the off-seasons priority NO#1 .Looks to me the Rams will have just have to be fat in the numbers of QB's they carry on the 53 player roster & on the PS due to going with Sam Bradford in 2015.