Offseason needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ok...I still think we need a game breaker somewhere. I think if we stay status quo the offense will improve but I think a speedy dependable target somewhere helps immensely.

We need a starting tackle. At first I was thinking a RT in the 2nd or 3rd would suffice. I'm starting to grow towards a LT early and moving Saffold. I'm also starting to believe a G would be a good idea earlier than I originally though, especially now that Dahl got hurt...he isn't exactly a spring chicken.

Safety is still atrocious. I can't take another year of Craig Dahl being the starter...he gives me ulcers.

In all honesty, of all the years that the Rams could take a Missouri Tiger, this is the guy I don't really like as a person but his talent is undeniable...and the Rams are in good position to get him. I don't view the D-line as a need, but it certainly would become one of those positions that can overtake a game with another badass player like him.

I don't know...but they've gotta make it happen and stop giving away these games they should win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dunno about moving Saffold. He's a LT. Never played RT. PFF graded him out really well up until this game, but if he has trouble staying healthy then you never know. They might draft a guy and have them compete.

I'd like to see a game changing receiver/returner. I'd like to see less of Dahl - and soon. If that means acquiring a new safety - be it the draft, free agency, or Stewart/McLeod, then do that. Dahl takes really bad angles all the time and it's getting kinda frustrating.

Whatever the reason is why we're not utilizing the TE's, that too needs to be fixed. If Kendricks isn't the answer (for them), then they need to blow yet another pick on one. But only if he's a blue chipper. No more prospect TE's, please.

Ultimately though, I need a good receiver. I've heard enough comments about so and so "trying" to be a #1 receiver, or how so and so can make some good plays here and there. I need a game changer. Hopefully Quick will be that guy, but I just don't know anymore. He looks like he's just gonna flash here and there for the next year or so and I'd hate to see us limping into next year with the stable of guys we already have. We, IMO, desperately need someone who makes all these guys we have -- complementary receivers. Then we'll be in business.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Some of our improvement next year will come from within. The WR's, perhaps Rok, Pead, etc.

The Rams need to give Sam a proven weapon outside. They know this. WR needs to be the #1 priority... and I think the Rams will move aggressively to overpay for Dwayne Bowe. They need someone to come in and contribute right away at this position.

The oline; it's still a mixed bag. We've got some keepers in Saffold, Dahl, and Wells. But to your point, Saffold isn't exactly a strong LT. So, once again the oline is a target in the offseason. Richardson and Hunter are nice depth... and truth be told Richardson hasn't been that bad.

Dahl is gone. Mikell might be gone to free up salary. So, arguably safety may be our biggest need position.

With extensions to JL and C Long complete, I think 2013 is still a pretty good cap year for us.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I dunno about moving Saffold. He's a LT. Never played RT. PFF graded him out really well up until this game, but if he has trouble staying healthy then you never know. They might draft a guy and have them compete.

I'd like to see a game changing receiver/returner. I'd like to see less of Dahl - and soon. If that means acquiring a new safety - be it the draft, free agency, or Stewart/McLeod, then do that. Dahl takes really bad angles all the time and it's getting kinda frustrating.

Whatever the reason is why we're not utilizing the TE's, that too needs to be fixed. If Kendricks isn't the answer (for them), then they need to blow yet another pick on one. But only if he's a blue chipper. No more prospect TE's, please.

Ultimately though, I need a good receiver. I've heard enough comments about so and so "trying" to be a #1 receiver, or how so and so can make some good plays here and there. I need a game changer. Hopefully Quick will be that guy, but I just don't know anymore. He looks like he's just gonna flash here and there for the next year or so and I'd hate to see us limping into next year with the stable of guys we already have. We, IMO, desperately need someone who makes all these guys we have -- complementary receivers. Then we'll be in business.

What he said.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Barrett Jones. :box: Just get him, please. He's a football player. Line him up @ C, we need help there too.

Safety, and maybe a WR. I guess we'll see how Gibby finishes the year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
OT (I don't care if it's RT or LT and Saffold moves to RT, I just want two good tackles).

Safety.

WR

OLB

TE

Return man

Depending on who is available where, I'd like these to be addressed, either draft or FA.

F. Mulder

Starter
Primary focus on the Offense- probably via one high OL pick and hopefully 1 WR via FA or Draft. TE is up in the air but I would think at least a solid #2 in line unless they think they have one on their roster. Defense-Safety (or 2?) and OLB.

quebecramfan

Rookie
While I agree that a WR is one of the top priorities I would not like to see the Rams use a high draft pick on one. We all know how long it takes for them to develop. I think we should overpay for 1 in free agency while Quick and Givens get more experience. I am old school so I think this year we should concentrate on the lines, safety and outside linebacker. And I hope that the Rams and Jackson can come to some sort of deal as I would really like to see him stay a Ram. He is getting older but his leadership and experience is invaluable to such a young team IMO.

Congrats Jackson on 10 000 yards!!!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Something I noticed (sadly) from the 80 yard TD run by Peterson.... Robert Quinn is faster than Craig Dahl. He was coming from much further and passed up Dahl to be the closest Ram to Peterson.

I mean I know we don't need a track star, but why is it that whenever someone breaks a run deep it's fucking Jenkins who makes the stop (the Kaepernick 50 yard run as well)... But the S should at least be as fast as the DE.

wolfman84

Rookie
This game exposed all our weaknesses and everyone seems to agree on what they are. Honestly, I don't know if a #1WR helps if Sam can't stay on his feet long enough to get him the ball. A lot will depend on our final draft position. I'd hate to see us reach for a player because of need, especially with the multiple needs identified. In free agency you run the risk of overpaying. Let me ask you this: If we were to hand out a "Finnegan" sized contract, would you rather see us sign an OT or a WR?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wolfman84 said:
This game exposed all our weaknesses and everyone seems to agree on what they are. Honestly, I don't know if a #1WR helps if Sam can't stay on his feet long enough to get him the ball. A lot will depend on our final draft position. I'd hate to see us reach for a player because of need, especially with the multiple needs identified. In free agency you run the risk of overpaying. Let me ask you this: If we were to hand out a "Finnegan" sized contract, would you rather see us sign an OT or a WR?
That's a good question. As I sit here and watch this 49ers game, it makes me ill to watch Brady have more than 10 seconds to scan the field. Does anyone here NOT think Bradford could hit open receivers if they had 10 seconds to run around out there and get free? It's pretty damn maddening to see the disparaging difference between that line and this one. I see Bradford "standing tall" in the pocket, but it's not very often you can count to 5 before he's either sacked or pressured.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
wolfman84 said:

WR. We need the player to contribute right away.

On the OL; we can draft a player who can contribute right away.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
quebecramfan said:
While I agree that a WR is one of the top priorities I would not like to see the Rams use a high draft pick on one. We all know how long it takes for them to develop. I think we should overpay for 1 in free agency while Quick and Givens get more experience. I am old school so I think this year we should concentrate on the lines, safety and outside linebacker. And I hope that the Rams and Jackson can come to some sort of deal as I would really like to see him stay a Ram. He is getting older but his leadership and experience is invaluable to such a young team IMO.

Congrats Jackson on 10 000 yards!!!!

^ and this...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I see the Rams adding one big FA this year and then one or two more mid-level contributors...I really see Snead and Fisher using the draft to develop this team.

Something else that you would expect and hope for is that some of the second year players will take a big step forward...but I think it is also reasonable to expect one or two of them to tread water or take a step back.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
They need to re-sign Jackson and Amendola. They need to add a starting caliber OT and possibly OG.
We need to add 2 safeties, either sign one and draft one or draft 2. SLB would be another very welcomed addition.

After that a KR/PR would be a very lovely addition...and another playmaker on offense is a NEED.

I think that is the MINIMUM to improve the team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know if we can go into free agency and start handing out big contracts this year. We have to resign Jackson, Amendola, and Hayes at the very least. Stewart should probably be brought back as well, since he's a restricted free agent. I honestly think that resigning the first three is going to cost us a huge chunk of change, which is something that we currently don't have. We're under the cap, but not by much. Maybe we could sign someone like Jairus Byrd (not one of the top free agents, but one of the best safeties on the market) and one or two young mid-level guys with potential (like we did with Dunbar and Hayes), but with two first round draft picks this year, I think we're probably going to build within the draft.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
X said:
wolfman84 said:
That's a good question. As I sit here and watch this 49ers game, it makes me ill to watch Brady have more than 10 seconds to scan the field. Does anyone here NOT think Bradford could hit open receivers if they had 10 seconds to run around out there and get free? It's pretty damn maddening to see the disparaging difference between that line and this one. I see Bradford "standing tall" in the pocket, but it's not very often you can count to 5 before he's either sacked or pressured.

5-try 3 before it's time to bail. I adhere to the BPA philosophy but this need can't be overlooked. I am tired of all the let this line jell talk. I know what I see and it's not enough talent to protect the qb CONSISTENTLY.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SaneRamsFan said:
X said:
wolfman84 said:

5-try 3 before it's time to bail. I adhere to the BPA philosophy but this need can't be overlooked. I am tired of all the let this line jell talk. I know what I see and it's not enough talent to protect the qb CONSISTENTLY.
Is it something you think could be better next year? Or do you think we need road grading maulers across the board? Also, what do you figure the offensive line should be developed to be? Pass defenders or run defenders? Or both. What *kind* of linemen do you think we need? Using current players in the league as examples.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
X said:
SaneRamsFan said:
X said:
wolfman84 said:

Is it something you think could be better next year? Or do you think we need road grading maulers across the board? Also, what do you figure the offensive line should be developed to be? Pass defenders or run defenders? Or both. What *kind* of linemen do you think we need? Using current players in the league as examples.

I hate to say anything nice about them but the 49ers drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in 2010 1st round and now have one of if not the best run blocking lines in the league. I think that would suit Fishers style. I hate the thought of not taking BPA when its your turn to pick-but need has to be considered in this case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SaneRamsFan said:
I hate to say anything nice about them but the 49ers drafted Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in 2010 1st round and now have one of if not the best run blocking lines in the league. I think that would suit Fishers style. I hate the thought of not taking BPA when its your turn to pick-but need has to be considered in this case.
Yeah, good point. That was their area of great need too. Worked out okay for them.
Douchebags.