Offseason Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ST. LOUIS

Key additions: Jake Long, Jared Cook

Key losses: Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Quintin Mikell, Craig Dahl, Brandon Gibson, Bradley Fletcher, Robert Turner, Steve Smith, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Trevor Laws, Rocky McIntosh

Analysis: Of course the Rams have benefited greatly with the added draft picks from the Robert Griffin III trade, but they have also used them wisely. We should no longer have to talk about how poor Sam Bradford's supporting cast is.

Up front, the addition of Long at left tackle, which moves Roger Saffold to the right side, should make St. Louis better at both spots. I still see a hole at guard, but getting Scott Wells and Harvey Dahl back from injuries should go a long way. There is concern though about Long, Wells and Dahl's abilities to stay healthy -- and there isn't much depth up front.

At running back, fifth-rounder Zac Stacy is built low to the ground and is very strong. He brings an element this backfield lacked before the draft and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up leading the team in carries by season's end. But the receivers are the real story here, as the Rams are looking to win on offense with speed.

Expect a fast-paced attack with highly skilled players all over the formation. This group can really run, and with Cook, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin, the Rams have a unique big-to-small electric mix of options to best attack a defense's weakness. Pinpointing where the production will come from might prove difficult, but matching up against this group of young receivers will be tough for every defensive coordinator St. Louis faces.

Already a very good defense, the Rams stuck with the speed theme by adding Alec Ogletree, who has excellent coverage skills, explosion and range. Even though they added T.J. McDonald, the safety position really worries me here and the front office should be on the lookout for a veteran signing at this position before Week 1. St. Louis' roster has improved immensely since Jeff Fisher took over as head coach. Three teams out of the NFC West might end up going to the playoffs.

Grade: B+

For the rest of the teams;

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9342052/offseason-grades-every-nfc-team-nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... c-team-nfl</a>

Oops, it's an insider link. Here are the NFC west grades:

ARIZONA

Key additions: Carson Palmer, Karlos Dansby, Antoine Cason, Rashard Mendenhall, Yeremiah Bell, Jerraud Powers, Javier Arenas, Frostee Rucker, Lorenzo Alexander, Jasper Brinkley, Matt Shaughnessy, Drew Stanton

Key losses: Kevin Kolb, Kerry Rhodes, Adrian Wilson, Early Doucet, William Gay, Paris Lenon, Quentin Groves, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Greg Toler, Beanie Wells, Brian Hoyer, Adam Snyder, Vonnie Holliday, Anthony Sherman, D'Anthony Batiste, Stewart Bradley, Nick Eason, John Skelton

Analysis: The Cardinals made a lot of good moves this offseason. Arizona's secondary is far different now than it was a year ago -- and in my opinion noticeably better, although what Rhodes brought to the table last season might be missed. That said, Patrick Peterson is on the verge of being a truly elite NFL cornerback.

What is most interesting to me about the Cardinals' offseason is their defensive front seven moves indicate that we are going to see far more 4-3 from this defense going forward -- an excellent idea considering their personnel.

Darnell Dockett can be among the best 3-technique defensive tackles in the league with Dan Williams as a solid nose tackle type in a 4-3. At defensive end, Calais Campbell will excel on the strong side while the combination of Rucker, Shaughnessy and especially Okafor should fit well opposite Campbell. The Cardinals would not have invested the resources they did in Kevin Minter and then Dansby to only play one of the two a high percentage of the time. Of course, Daryl Washington is facing a suspension, but he is equipped to be an outstanding 4-3 weakside linebacker when he returns. Dansby has experience (in Arizona) on the strong side and Minter is a perfect fit in the middle.

Bruce Arians historically likes to employ a lot of double tight end sets, but the personnel on offense right now isn't ideal for that formation. Instead, look for the Cardinals to use a very high percentage of 11 (1 RB/1 TE) personnel, even on early down-and-distance situations. While Arizona's receivers are more or less the same, the protection and quarterback are not.

Contrary to popular belief, the Cardinals are not that bad off at offensive tackle, with Levi Brown on the left side and the vastly improved Bobby Massie on the right. Guard was a huge problem for Arizona last season and they addressed that issue by landing an absolutely superb prospect in Jonathan Cooper and later drafting the athletic Earl Watford. Palmer needs a clean pocket, especially to go deep downfield as this new scheme will stress. Palmer should get more help in that area this year.

The Cardinals also made huge changes at running back and have taken the approach of throwing several players at the problem to see who emerges. I love what Arizona has done this offseason.

Grade: A

SEAPIDGEONS

Key additions: Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, Antoine Winfield, Michael Bennett, Tony McDaniel, Brady Quinn

Key losses: Jason Jones, Leroy Hill, Alan Branch, Matt Flynn, Marcus Trufant, Leon Washington

Analysis: Along with San Francisco, the Seahawks might be the best team in the league -- and this offseason only reinforces that notion for me. Adding Harvin as an explosive element to this offense is gigantic. When healthy, he is one of the best players in the league and he was playing at an extremely high level last season before being sidelined with an ankle injury. Seattle will get creative with how it employs him.

Besides adding Christine Michael, who might just be the most talented running back in this entire draft class, and Chris Harper, whose physical nature and stature will endear him to this coaching staff, Seattle didn't do much else on offense. Drafting Michael pretty much ensures that Seattle will have at least one -- and probably two -- big downhill runners with enough ability to be the foundation of their offense. They also signed Quinn to back up Russell Wilson.

A great defense got even better this offseason. The addition of Winfield, who excels in the slot, against the run and as a blitzer, makes the league's best secondary very much improved. Seattle lost Jones and Branch up front, but added Avril, Bennett, Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams. Those switches in personnel not only make them younger up front, but also improve the pass rush dramatically with Avril off the edge and Bennett coming from either a standard defensive end position or on the inside in passing situations.

On tape, Williams looked like a first-round pick to me, and if medical issues do not slow him down, he could be a very instrumental member of this defensive line. The Seahawks are stacked.

Grade: A

FARTY NINERS

Key additions: Anquan Boldin, Glenn Dorsey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Craig Dahl, Phil Dawson, Adam Snyder, Colt McCoy

Key losses: Dashon Goldson, Alex Smith, Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga, Rickey Jean Francois, Randy Moss, Ted Ginn Jr.

Analysis: Along with Seattle, this might be the best team in the league -- and this offseason only reinforces that notion for me. The Niners saw a handful of quality contributors leave town but brought in more than a handful of production in return. Boldin is a far different wideout than Moss, but his physicality (particularly as a run-blocker in this unique run scheme) is very appealing. And frankly, Boldin is simply playing much better football than Moss at this stage of their respective careers. With Michael Crabtree's injury, Boldin might now be asked to do much more than originally expected.

The same holds true for Quinton Patton and last year's first round pick, A.J. Jenkins, whom I still have high hopes for but is a different type of receiver than Crabtree. At tight end, Vance McDonald might have a tough time matching Walker's contributions as a blocker and special teamer, but the rookie has plenty of ability to become a high-end second tight end to Vernon Davis. Marcus Lattimore found the perfect landing spot in San Francisco. There is no reason to rush him into action, but the 49ers might see great dividends from him in 2014. Once he gets healthy, Lattimore could be a Pro Bowler with this supporting cast.

But most of what the Niners did was on defense. Dorsey is an upgrade over Jean Francois, but they also added Tank Carradine to the defensive line. While Carradine might not be fully healthy for some time, he might be Justin Smith's heir. In the meantime, I expect the 49ers to show more 4-3 looks with Carradine at defensive end and Dorsey as a penetrating 3-technique, which is what he was drafted to do coming out of LSU. The 49ers added Corey Lemonier for good measure to add another edge-rusher into the equation.

At safety, Goldson might be missed, but Dahl is the perfect stopgap starter until Reid is ready to assume the free safety job full-time. I didn't see the 49ers cornerback position being as big of a need as many others did, but adding Asomugha -- and having him play much more man coverage, which is his forte -- could be a perfect match for player and team. The Niners are stacked.

Grade: B

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
SEAPIDGEONS? :plzstop:

Hadn't seen that one before. I'd steal it but I doubt I'd be able to remember how it's spelled. :lol:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
SEAPIDGEONS? :plzstop:

Hadn't seen that one before. I'd steal it but I doubt I'd be able to remember how it's spelled. :lol:

I d before g except after v er sumpin.
Did you see they's added Brady Quinn, werefocked :roll:

Wayne Hunter key loss?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy aghast at their thought processes:

Wayne Hunter key loss?

Haven't read it yet.

I did just discover my screw up though. I was trying to pronounce it Seapi Digeons instead of Sea Pidgeons. I really have to get my brain fixed. :neh:

I still like it a lot but I think I'm gonna stick with Seahags in memory of my ex-wife.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think P.E.D.hawks has a nice ring to it also.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X being very topical:
I think P.E.D.hawks has a nice ring to it also.

Hard to type with all those periods but very easy to remember. :wootwoot:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Would that make their fans P.E.D. iphiles?

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy aghast at their thought processes:

Wayne Hunter key loss?

Haven't read it yet.

I did just discover my screw up though. I was trying to pronounce it Seapi Digeons instead of Sea Pidgeons. I really have to get my brain fixed. :neh:

I still like it a lot but I think I'm gonna stick with Seahags in memory of my ex-wife.
some times, it's good to have only memories, eh?
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain made the understatement of the year:
some times, it's good to have only memories, eh?

I was going to say "you have no idea" but I get the feeling you've been there, done that already. :=:) :ohno:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
No one says anything about Pettis. I think he might be our man on 3rd down.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
iBruce leaving no stone unturned:
No one says anything about Pettis. I think he might be our man on 3rd down.

I didn't like him when we drafted him and he's been slow to show anything but I like the way he came on last year towards the end. I'm gonna have to agree with you. Especially since he usually plays very well in practice. Kind of like Gibson.

At the very least, I think the opportunity is his to lose. He certainly could be the odd man out though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pettis is nothing like gibson.

He is dependable in the clutch.

He is nowhere near the odd man out.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pettis will be here, he's got great hands. I think he dropped 2 passes the entire year, and only 4 or 5 targets weren't completed.... Gotta keep a guy like that, he comes through in the clutch. Bailey replaces Gibson in my eyes, Austin replaces Amendola... Both are upgrades.

As for the grade, I don't see how we only get a B+.... Because it sounds like we added a shitload of talent. But go ahead and continue to underestimate us.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Key losses: Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Quintin Mikell, Craig Dahl, Brandon Gibson, Bradley Fletcher, Robert Turner, Steve Smith, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Trevor Laws, Rocky McIntosh

Hmmm that list is suspect as far as "key losses" is concerned. You can make a case for SJ and DA, maybe Mikell who muight yet be back.....but the rest? Yikes.....more like addition by subtraction IMO.

But the same is true of all of the "key losses" he lists on each team I suppose.

The B+ is a fair grade, it could easily be an A. I'm happy with what they have done to date. We've seen more talent added in two drafts and off seasons than any other two year period I can recall.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
bluecoconuts wrote:
Pettis will be here, he's got great hands. I think he dropped 2 passes the entire year, and only 4 or 5 targets weren't completed.... Gotta keep a guy like that, he comes through in the clutch. Bailey replaces Gibson in my eyes, Austin replaces Amendola... Both are upgrades.

I see nothing particularly "clutch" in his stats but you might have a different view point from actually watching the games. 63% isn't bad though.

Here's my problem with him. On a team with a dearth of WR talent (especially with Quick being MIA), competing with the likes of Gibson for playing time and the loss of DA for so many games, 30 receptions is pitiful. 48 targets is pitiful.

But keep in mind that when I said he could be the "odd man out" I was referring to iBruce's contention that he might be our "go to" guy on third down. Of course he's going to make the team along with Austin, Givens, Bailey and Quick.

When he's competing against Cook, Kendricks, pick your RB, Quick, Austin and Givens, I feel pretty good about thinking he might be the odd man out on third down. I see so many better options in that group. Especially at the TE position.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2012/</a>

Austin Pettis: 2011
Receptions 27
Drops 3
Targets 48
Targets % 56
Drops % 6.25

Austin Pettis: 2012
Receptions 30
Drops 1
Targets 48
Targets % 63
Drops % 2.08