Offseason grades so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes the offseason is incomplete, but it's still fun to discuss what's gone down even if it might change when the big picture is finalized. In the meantime here's some "completely scientific" grades mostly just made up to amuse myself, but hopefully will prompt some more thoughts.

Foles: A
My grade relies heavily on that Bradford (or more correctly his nefarious agent) refused to give in to any pay cut or salary cap relief, and therefore Fisher had a "you no help me now Jobu?" moment. I still stubbornly believe Bradford's ceiling is better than Foles, but given the injury risk they obtained a higher floor. That's pretty much the bottom line because, say it with me -- the Rams QB in 2015 will be better than Shaun @#$! Hill!

S.Hill: A-
Phew, thank you Minnesota. Can't imagine a more insane proposition than watching the exact same old geezer play the fail again. Give me a nice young backup that at least has a prayer to get better, here's where I love the tradeoff of higher potential ceiling versus conservative floor. I gave the minus for the Rams to even have flirted with the idea of bringing Hill back.

Keenum: D
Like getting him but hate that the Rams swallowed their own vomit by having to pay a draft pick to get their former property. It's easy to discount a 7th round pick as worthless, but that could be the value of our starting center (Rhaney) and the Rams are not in position to be wasting anything. Do the little things, dammit!

A.Davis: C-
I like bringing him back since he's so cheap, but I downgrade the Rams for not starting him when the Rams were eliminated last season if they were entertaining thoughts on bringing him back. That was two games of precious experience lost.

K.Langford: F
No he's not worth his cap number but perhaps Fisher could have taken 1 second out of the oral fixation on "we love Bradford, he's our guy" comments to at least say he wanted Langford back at a reduced rate. Or maybe attempted to trade him instead of cutting him a week early? The Rams now must get another run-stuffing girthy DT to backup/complement Brockers. For a team with too many holes to fix and not enough draft picks, seems we could have overspent a little in a restructure and avoided creating a hole here. If Langford simply wanted out to have a chance to start somewhere else, fine, just say so. Maybe the Rams are eyeing pipe dreams Dan Williams or Pot Roast as a possible fix here -- or even Wilfork would be a fun possibility -- but seems those would be more expensive than keeping a restructured Langord (and his dead money).

Hayes/Sims: C
This is more an optional little thing, but hopefully they are working on the situation behind the scenes. These two combine for almost $10m of cap space for one to be a backup and another the backup to the backup. I like both players and want both back but there seems some logical salary adjustment should be made, even if it means Sims departs. Plus E.Westbrooks is better than being stuck as the backup to the backup to the backup.

McLeod: C-
I love McLeod as a special teams captain, but not a starter. I'd like to see him get a multi-year deal with a lower cap number instead of the tender number so when the Rams finally find a true ball-hawking turnover machine at free safety, McCleod can stick around for depth and special teams.

J.Long: A
Rams did the right thing on both the business and personal fronts here, obviously he had to go given his cap number and injury, but Fisher at least softened the blow by publicly (faking?) considering possibilities of bringing him back in some capacity.

Wells: A-
Yes I'm an easy grader for giving an A for such a no-brainer as cutting Wells, but they get the minus for it taking so long (more than a millisecond was too long).

Barksdale: D
There was probably no way to avoid Barksdale testing the market, but I'm somewhat nervous about the plan to replace him and all the holes now on the OL. Given the lack of free agent OT quality, seems like the only option might be to sign an interior OL (even that option is vanishing quickly) and be in a must-draft tackle mode now. I hate when options get limited.

Britt: C-
Also plays into the OL situation, if the Rams are handcuffed into drafting OL then they won't get WR help there. They better have the WR situation handled in free agency, whether it's Britt or signing someone else to go along with getting Quick back.

Harkey: A
The Rams best all-purpose TE is back and hopefully they will lock him up for a few years.

L.Kendricks: F
Perhaps the biggest head-scratcher so far. What is it with the Rams paying double the market price for TEs? Fun fact, did you know the Rams already pay the 2nd most money (behind San Diego) for tight ends in the NFL? And this was before the Kendricks contract. No other team would value Kendricks at $4+million. I get that he's the ultimate role player, but that's another way of saying he can't block as well as Harkey or be the receiving threat of Cook. He's basically the Eugene Sims of our TE roster. Seems to me Bayer or a walk-on FB could have easily filled his role for pennies on the dollar in comparison.

J.Dunbar: D
I know he's another fan favorite like McLeod/Kendricks but really the Rams must do better with their LB depth. Dunbar doesn't have to go at his cheap price, but they need add something -- I guess Akeem Ayers is currently being floated as the idea?

Cignetti: C
Can't really go either way on this yet so I'll cop out and say it was just an average move so far, low risk/boring to promote from within. It would have been fun to get a new creative mind like Chud but at least we avoided potential pitfalls in other candidates.

Weinke: A-
Grade not based on anything about Weinke, just love that they didn't foolishly get Jeff Garcia as seeing Carrot Top's evil twin with his 49er stank on the sideline would have constantly made me dry heave.

jjab360

Legend
I don't really understand giving grades on tender offers, obvious cuts, or free agent re-signing/non re-signings that haven't happened yet, tbh.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Due to it's extreme popularity :oops: I'm revisiting some of these before the last round of potential OL signing(s)...

G.Reynolds: A. Got a good depth guy and didn't break the bank. Obviously this grade tanks if the Rams start looking at him as a starter absent any other options.

A.Ayers: A (revises the Dunbar grade). Stressed over this hole long enough, glad they filled it and didn't horribly overpay for a pseudo part-time position.

Fairley: B- (revises the K.Langford grade). The Fairley signing takes a lot of the sting out of the Langford situation. I can't ignore the exciting hope of Fairley thriving in this setting and breaking out into his elite potential. But until that happens, I still fear the Rams came out behind in that they still haven't solved the run stopping DT issue their own move created. They already had a great pass rushing rotation, adding Fairley might just keep that status quo -- but who will be that immovable wall on 4th and goal from the 1?

Hayes/Sims: revised grade C-. My numbers were off, they only count $7million against the cap combined, but I still think something should have been done with extending one or both by now.

Barksdale: revised grade C+. The way the market worked out I don't see any way the Rams could have avoided this current situation without way overpaying for him, so I give them credit for not giving in to that temptation.

Britt: revised grade B. I want to be really happy about this but I'm still just kinda meh. I think Quick is far more important to the WR situation.

Grades remaining the same:
Foles: A
S.Hill: A-
Keenum: D
A.Davis: C-
McLeod: C-
J.Long: A
Wells: A-
Harkey: A
L.Kendricks: F
Cignetti: C
Weinke: A-

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
They get a F on all fronts until they do a single legitimate move on the offensive line.

Backing ourselves into a corner going into the draft will be very unwise.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
They get a F on all fronts until they do a single legitimate move on the offensive line.

Conversely the fact that we only have one really glaring weakness on our team is a helluva lot better than 3 years ago when it was not only oline, but DB's, WR's, RB's, Special Teams, LB's etc....

So maybe not - if you think about it they should be getting a B+

Getting Foles in the fold was key, dumping that epic albatross of a salary of Bradford's was key. We retained Britt (good stuff), as well as signing Ayers, and Fairley (on an epic 1 year 5 mil deal), and we picked up GRob with the 2nd pick last year, and the Defensive Rookie of the Year with Donald with the other 1st round pick, had a top to bottom great draft, got a possible starting center in Rhaney (or at least that's debatable), I mean, I think we are in a good position going into 2016 to retain most of our key Defensive players in FA, with flexibility at the QB position, clearly lots of young talented draft picks on the Oline from 2015 (this upcoming draft) and the actual ability to retain the players we want to like Jenoris, Tru, etc..

So I would rather be in this position any day of the frickin' week!!!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler

Oof brutal. Have to ask though, what else could they do that would not be an F? Did we really want to make Hudson the highest paid C? Or overpay for some other OL and regret it down the road? Trying to grade under the circumstances, while trying not to give a pass for circumstances that might be their own fault...

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Oof brutal. Have to ask though, what else could they do that would not be an F? Did we really want to make Hudson the highest paid C? Or overpay for some other OL and regret it down the road? Trying to grade under the circumstances, while trying not to give a pass for circumstances that might be their own fault...

Resign Barksdale, trade someone, idk. I'm not managing the team.

jjab360

Legend
Resign Barksdale, trade someone, idk. I'm not managing the team.
Have you seen any OL get signed that you think we made a mistake not throwing big money at? If not, I think it's ridiculous to say we've failed in this offseason so far, given how none of our main targets on the OL have even signed anywhere yet.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Have you seen any OL get signed that you think we made a mistake not throwing big money at? If not, I think it's ridiculous to say we've failed in this offseason so far, given how none of our main targets on the OL have even signed anywhere yet.

The Rams have failed as a whole if they trot out a line consisting of 3 rookies, a second year player still developing, and an injury prone guard. It's their fault they're in the position they're in.

Btw, saying that it's great "we only have one thing" as a weakness to focus on is the completely wrong mentality. I don't think you guys are realizing the magnitude of the situation. The division we play in, having a young developing qb with a new offense, a 1st year coordinator, and then having literately almost no offensive line. This is also on a team that wants to control the possession, and run the ball.

Also, our team should be built to win now, and yes if we "fix" the line, we're in a pretty good position. It's going to take a fuck load more than some think to "fix" this line though. One of them includes making at least a single offseason acquisition outside of a shitty depth swing tackle. Make a trade. Package Jenkins and Hayes maybe. Like I said, Idk because I don't manage the team. If I did though, and I was a coach with the mentality of Fisher, I would make it a priority to have an offensive line. From the second I took the job.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Rams have failed as a whole if they trot out a line consisting of 3 rookies, a second year player still developing, and an injury prone guard. It's their fault they're in the position they're in.
Very sobering post, especially since I can't really find fault with it. Need to go refill my koolaid first and be back.

jjab360

Legend

Btw, saying that it's great "we only have one thing" as a weakness to focus on is the completely wrong mentality. I don't think you guys are realizing the magnitude of the situation. The division we play in, having a young developing qb with a new offense, a 1st year coordinator, and then having literately almost no offensive line. This is also on a team that wants to control the possession, and run the ball.

Also, our team should be built to win now, and yes if we "fix" the line, we're in a pretty good position. It's going to take a freak load more than some think to "fix" this line though. One of them includes making at least a single offseason acquisition outside of a crappy depth swing tackle. Make a trade. Package Jenkins and Hayes maybe. Like I said, Idk because I don't manage the team. If I did though, and I was a coach with the mentality of Fisher, I would make it a priority to have an offensive line. From the second I took the job.
Maybe you missed the entire point of my post?
1)Which OL have been signed or traded for that we should have gone after?
2)Our 3 main targets (Barksdale, Wis, Blalock) have not signed anywhere and could still likely be Rams by the time the draft rolls around

Given these two points, I don't see why we should be panicking right now. Patience, kemosabe. Just because they haven't done it yet, doesn't mean it's not going to get done.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Maybe you missed the entire point of my post?
1)Which OL have been signed or traded for that we should have gone after?
2)Our 3 main targets (Barksdale, Wis, Blalock) have not signed anywhere and could still likely be Rams by the time the draft rolls around

Given these two points, I don't see why we should be panicking right now. Patience, kemosabe. Just because they haven't done it yet, doesn't mean it's not going to get done.

This is why I'm saying "until we do." As of right now in my book, they get a F.

jjab360

Legend
This is why I'm saying "until we do." As of right now in my book, they get a F.
That's like a teacher giving all their students Fs on the midterm because they don't know how they're going to do in the second half of the semester.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
That's like a teacher giving all their students Fs on the midterm because they don't know how they're going to do in the second half of the semester.

Good, fuck those little brats. I'll give them a Z then. Since we're arguing over letters.

How about an I for incomplete to make you happy, then a P for how predictable this team can be.

Then a B for boobs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good, freak those little brats. I'll give them a Z then. Since we're arguing over letters.

How about an I for incomplete to make you happy, then a P for how predictable this team can be.

Then a B for boobs.
giphy.gif

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

But that is the point of the entire OP to "Grade" them so far. In the light of your statement above the entire conversation is moot.

I would say this is closer to a teacher giving a grade out at midterm on the work you have done on major paper....the teacher wants to see an outline, notes, signs of progress and a plan....at this point the rams don't seem to have much more than title and an opening sentence and no clear plan for the future. Yes there is plenty of time to fix it and at this point this grade may be meaningless as the student could turn in the greatest paper of all time at the end of the semester and still get an "A"...but based on what the teacher has before them there is a lot of work to do and there current progress would get them a very low grade (note that is only on OL) anda note sent home to mom.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Definitely some of the natives are restless concerning our OL, huh?

Remember when some were fretting because Wells and Long had not yet been released as of a week before FA started? Wasted energy.

I advise taking a deep breath and exercising as much patience as possible.

S/F are aware of their OL needs and surely have a plan. Probably plans B, C, and D, as well.

We've got weeks of FA and an OL loaded draft straight ahead to deal with our OL needs.

No worries...