Official training camp thread!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley gets some individual work as Rams open camp
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...y-gets-some-individual-work-as-rams-open-camp

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley was back on a football field Friday afternoon after about nine months.

Although Gurley isn't fully recovered from a torn left ACL suffered last November, he's healthy enough to do some individual drills. It's the closest thing to actual football he's played since the injury. When asked about the simple act of being back on a field with his teammates, Gurley lit up.

"It is [exciting]," Gurley said. "Instead of just being over there with the trainers, just being with the guys and getting those 15 minutes in [is great]."

Gurley said he spent most of his time in St. Louis between the end of organized team activities and the start of camp aside from a quick vacation. He said he visited with his doctors about two weeks ago and got positive reports on his progress.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Gurley still has some work to do to get back to full speed but he's moving well.

"Todd did a great job on the conditioning test," Fisher said. "He's not 100 percent. He's not ready to play in a game right now but our feeling was and the decision was based on the importance for him to be able to participate not only in the walk-throughs but also in the individual stuff. We'll just kind of add things as we move forward.

"We're very, very encouraged as to where he is right now."

The Rams started camp relatively healthy, though they had a few players that were limited by minor issues. Aside from guard Cody Wichmann, who is on the physically unable to perform list with a calf ailment, end Chris Long and safety Mark Barron also sat out. According to Fisher, Long has some back tightness that kept him out but he should be back in a couple of days. Barron (knee) did some work on the side and Fisher estimated his return at a "few" days.Fisher was extremely pleased with the shape his team returned in as everyone passed their conditioning tests and some of the injured players have worked their way back. That includes safety T.J. McDonald, tight end Alex Bayer, tackle Greg Robinson, guard Rodger Saffold, running back Isaiah Pead and receiver Brian Quick, all of whom did a lot of work. Quick (shoulder) is easing his way back into team drills but all looked to be moving around well and ready to go.

Fisher offered the line of the day when asked whether he was concerned about his players as they took some time off between organized team activities and the start of training camp."We were in touch with them," Fisher said. "I failed them from the standpoint of I talked to them about wave runners and four-wheelers and jet skis and driving fast and all those things and I forgot to talk to them about fireworks. Fortunately we dodged that bullet."Fisher is notorious for making a point of educating his players on the pratfalls of the offseason and has even done studies on which positions are more likely to get in trouble during the down time. Guess he has one more activity to add to his lecture list next year.

Quarterback Nick Foles had some good moments early in practice, especially considering it's the first day of camp. He was getting the ball out quick in team drills and hit Tavon Austin on a nice throw down the seam in seven-on-seven. Foles said he's not thinking about his contract status and made it clear he's allowing his agent to handle his business off the field.

One new twist for practice: Music. The Rams have dabbled with music at training camp practices in the past but never as loud or as present as it was during team drills Friday. Foles said he was supposed to be in charge of the playlist but was apparently too busy (that pesky football thing got in the way) to put a list together. He said he'd need some time before he can put his list together but it will likely feature a little more Florida Georgia Line rather than the Fetty Wap that blared on Friday.

Bud Sasser, the receiver the Rams drafted in May, attended Friday's practice. Sasser is a guest of the team this weekend. The Rams released Sasser in June after he was unable to pass the team's physical because of a medical condition. But they also signed him and paid him his signing bonus and made it clear there could be a job for him with the team if he wants it. Sasser is spending the next couple of days observing various jobs to see if there's a role that might fit him. Classy move by the Rams.

The Rams return to practice Saturday at 4:30 p.m. ET. They will have their first padded practice on Monday at 11 a.m. ET, a special-teams workout which is not open to the public.

RamBill

Legend
As camp begins, Rams know they want QB Foles long-term
JUL 31, 2015 8:58p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...know-they-want-qb-nick-foles-long-term-073115

ST. LOUIS -- Before playing a down, Nick Foles has made a big impression on the St. Louis Rams.

They like what they've seen so much that even before the start of training camp Friday, they were talking about a contract extension.

General manager Les Snead said the Rams have been in contact with the agent for Foles, due for free agency after the season. He thought it "definitely realistic" that Foles could be signed.

"I always go to this: Hey, if a quarterback is playing well and you're winning, having team success, you have no problem asking your owner to write the check," Snead said.

After the first full-squad workout Friday, coach Jeff Fisher said the team was discussing deals with other players, too. Foles has to top the list.

"I'm not really involved other than I'd like to see us get something worked out at some point with him," Fisher said.

Foles is staying out of the talks and concentrating on mastering the offense.

"Honestly, I just zone it out," Foles said. "We hire agents so that clears the clutter out of our brain and I trust them to do the job."

Just as in OTAs earlier this year, Foles expressed optimism he'd be with the Rams for a long time.

"I love it here, I love the players, I love the coaches, it's a great place to play," Foles said. "I haven't even played a game here yet and i love it.

"That'll take care of itself. I'm just excited to be out here playing."

If the parties can't get something done before the opener, Foles seemed fine with continuing talks into the season. The former third-round pick out of Arizona is due for his first big contract.

"It's just never been a distraction," Foles said. "I know we're fortunate to play this game, so whatever happens, happens, and we'll go from there."

Snead predicted that if Foles stays healthy, which has been a big if for Rams quarterbacks lately, the franchise should end a 10-year playoff drought.

Foles missed the last half of 2014 with the Eagles due to a broken collarbone, an injury he said back in OTAs had been long healed. He has a much cleaner medical chart than Bradford, the one-time franchise quarterback who has missed the last 25 regular-season starts, plus balked at a restructured contract after last season.

Snead gives the Rams credit for rallying behind backups Austin Davis, Shaun Hill and Kellen Clemens the last two seasons. But he also believes the injuries take a toll on the supporting cast.

"As a fan you admire, 'Hey, this team's scrappy,'" Snead said. "But they've got to have something with it."

Adding Foles and running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick should help. Opening with two rookie starters on the offensive line seems to be a concern, but Fisher seems pretty confident in tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown, the second- and third-round picks.

Gurley began camp on the active roster, although he'll probably be restricted to individual work for a while while rehabbing from left knee surgery that cut short his final season at Georgia. Passing the rookie conditioning test, he said, was a beast nine months into rehab.

"It was brutal, it was hot, I was laid out," Gurley said.

Fisher wasn't sure whether Gurley would be ready to play "in Week 1 or Week 6," but didn't want to put him on the PUP list to start camp to keep him involved.

"We're not going to take any chances or any risks or subject him to any danger, but you can kind of read the tea leaves -- we think he's ahead of schedule," Fisher said. "This is going to give him a chance to know the offense inside and out."

Gurley said he last met with the team doctor about two weeks ago for a routine checkup.

"Everything's been going good and I'm progressing, that's the main thing for me," Gurley said. "It's about to be nine months, I think I'm doing pretty good."

WestCoastRam

Legend
You know how I know it's training camp... cause there are/will be conflicting reports every day of how players are doing from Twitter.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley Participates on Day 1 of Camp
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Gurley-Participates-on-Day-1-of-Camp/200addd2-8a5d-42ed-84df-6dc085df444e

Running back Todd Gurley’s health is sure to be a consistent storyline throughout the month of August. But on the 31st of July, there was reason to be encouraged following the Rams’ first day of training camp.

The No. 10 overall pick in this year’s draft was on the field participating in positional drills Friday afternoon. While there was some question prior to this week whether or not Gurley would open training camp on the active roster or on the Physically Unable to Perform list, head coach Jeff Fisher said the staff wanted the running back to be able to participate in those individual drills.

“We just felt, in fairness to him, the PUP thing -- it just didn’t make sense because he was going to stand there and watch,” Fisher said. “We want to build him. We want to add individual reps. We want him to be able to practice.”

“He’s a tremendous athlete,” Fisher added. “And this is going to give him a chance to know the offense inside and out and feel good about what he’s doing on a daily basis, rather than becoming kind of that outcast that they typically feel like when they’re on PUP.”

Gurley said Friday afternoon that he was excited just to perform football activities once again instead of just standing with the trainers.

“I’m just glad to be out here, being with the guys, and starting camp again,” Gurley said.

View Gallery | 26 Photos
PHOTOS: #RamsCamp Day 1
One of the significant aspects of what the running back still had to do in his recovery was feel comfortable making lateral cuts on the injured knee. Gurley described the process as going well so far.

“I haven’t really had any problems with it working out this summer,” Gurley said. “The one thing about me, I’m not being timid on it. I’m at the stage now where I’m not really thinking about it too much.”

Gurley was in St. Louis working on his knee with the Rams’ trainers for most of the summer. There is still a little ways to go in his rehab, which the running back said can be a grind not only physically, but also mentally.

“You’re doing everything everybody else is, plus a little bit more,” Gurley said. “Even though I’m not out here doing all the practice stuff, I’m probably doing more lifting than they are.”

Another mental hurdle Gurley has to face is wanting to expand his participation in practice when he may not be physically ready to do so.

“It’s frustrating because you feel like you can go or you just feel like you can do much more than the trainers or the coaches are giving you,” Gurley said. “But they’re just trying to protect you. And they’ve been through this. They have years of experience, so there’s no need to rush it.”

Fisher said Gurley is probably ahead of schedule, but may start getting a little restless sooner than later.

“That’ll become a problem eventually, I’m quite sure,” Fisher said.

“It’s only the first day, so we’ll see what happens next week or the week after,” Gurley said at the suggestion.

What Gurley has been able to do, however, is learn the playbook. The running back said the walk-thru practices have been especially helpful since he’s able to fully participate in them.

“I’m definitely still making mistakes, but that just comes with being a rookie and learning the playbook,” Gurley said. “But that’s why we’re here. And in camp, we’re here all day.”

And so while the No. 10 pick will likely continue to field questions about whether or not he will be ready to play in the season opener on Sept. 13, Gurley is not looking that far ahead at all.

“All I know is I’ve got tomorrow,” Gurley said. “I can’t worry about Week 1 for right now.”

“I can’t say if it’s Week 1 or Week 6, but we’re hoping it’s somewhere in there,” Fisher said of when Gurley may play. “But we’re not going to take any chances, or take any risks, or subject him to any danger. But you can kind of read the tea leaves there.”

If Gurley’s rehab continues to go as well as it has, the new Rams running back will be on the field making explosive plays sooner rather than later.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 7/31: Training Camp Begins
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-731-Training-Camp-Begins/3e39fbc5-c94b-45e7-8f88-88a4f53cc86c

Football is back at Rams Park, as the team began training camp on a sunny Friday afternoon in Earth City.

With plenty of fans in attendance, St. Louis practiced without pads, as is customary for the team’s acclimation period over its first few sessions. And head coach Jeff Fisher said he was especially impressed at the way the players passed their conditioning tests earlier in the week.

“As long as I have been here this is the best we’ve had. From the weigh-in, from the conditioning test -- guys have really worked hard during the summer,” Fisher said. “Overall, big picture, very pleased with the condition, and the athleticism, and the energy of this football team. They’re very excited to get back.”

But Fisher said the real enthusiasm comes once the team starts practicing in pads.

“It doesn’t feel like today was the first day of camp,” Fisher said. “But the first day of camp really, I think, it takes shape when you see the guys walk out with pads on. Because this is pretty much a repeat of OTAs that we’ve done from installation standpoint.”

As for the goals of camp, Fisher said that the team is keeping things general for the time being.

“There’s just, ‘Let’s get better each day,’” the head coach said. “It’s go out and have fun, enjoy your time together, listen, pay attention and just get better each day. It’s kind of simple here for the next 10 days.”

ON THE QUARTERBACK

According to Fisher, Nick Foles had a good day for his first training camp practice as a Ram.

“It is usually the first couple days of camp you tip your hat towards the defensive side. They usually have the advantage,” Fisher said. “That wasn’t the case today. Nick did a nice job.”

“I felt like it was good,” Foles said. “I mean there’s always -- I’d like to hit every pass. That’s my goal every day. You strive for perfection. There’s things we’ll work on, but I felt like for the first day it was the right direction. So tomorrow we just need it to be a little better.”

Fisher added that the team is continuing discussions with Foles on a possible contract extension.

“We are talking with a number of our players right now and their representatives,” Fisher said. “I’m really not involved with it other than that I would like to see us get something worked out at some point with him.”

As for Foles himself, the quarterback said he’s remaining focused on getting better each day in practice.

“That’s why you hire agents because my thing here is to be with these guys, to be a player, to be their quarterback,” Foles said. “We have to win games. We hire agents so that clears the clutter out of our brain, and you know I trust them to do the job.”

ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE

It’s well known by now that the Rams are prepping young offensive linemen to begin the season as starters. And Fisher said Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown have been steadily improving up front.

“Well again, in no pads, I think Rob’s technique is getting better. ‘JB’ is doing the same,” Fisher said. “And I have no reservation whatsoever, when we line up for the opener, playing rookie offensive linemen. They’re going to get plenty of reps. And they’re the best that we’ll put on the field. So we’ve got confidence.”

Plus, Fisher said that the young linemen have been earning endorsements from veteran D-linemen like Chris Long and Will Hayes.

“They’re saying, ‘These guys are going to be good,’” Fisher said. “Coming from Chris and Will and those guys, that’s pretty impressive.”

GURLEY’S HEALTH

Todd Gurley participated in positional drills on Friday, a significant development in the running back’s rehab process.

“I’m just glad to be out here and just being with the guys and starting camp again,” Gurley said.

Fisher said he wanted to keep the running back off of the Physically Unable to Perform list to give him a chance to practice with his teammates.

“We just felt, in fairness to him, the PUP thing -- it just didn’t make sense because he was going to stand there and watch,” Fisher said. “We want to build him. We want to add individual reps. We want him to be able to practice.”

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley gets some work for Rams
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story...s?hootPostID=6d6dea065a024fc063d8c282a0443869

ST. LOUIS — The Rams are determined to take things slow with rookie running back Todd Gurley as he works his way back from the knee injury that ended his junior season at Georgia.

On Friday afternoon, during the first practice session of training camp, that meant the No. 10 overall pick participated in individual drills but did not get reps during team drills.

“Of course the big story is Todd,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said when he met with the media. “He did a great job on the conditioning test. He is not 100 percent. He is not ready to play in a game right now. But our feeling was and the decision was based on the importance for him to be able to participate not only in the walk-thrus , which is permissible, but also in the individual stuff. Then we will kind of add things as we move forward. Timetable-wise I don’t know, but very, very encouraged as to where he is right now.”

Gurley was limited to rehab work during the Rams’ rookie orientation program and organized team activities practice sessions, but the team was pleased enough with his progress to not place him on the physically unable to perform/non-injury list.

The 6-foot-1, 227-pounder impressed the organization during the conditioning test for rookies on Tuesday, which was a sweltering day in the St. Louis area.

“Oh, it was brutal,” Gurley said. “It was hot. I was laid out. I was laid out right after. But yeah that was definitely one of the hottest days.”

Asked about what has been described as an impressive showing during the conditioning test, Gurley downplayed that accomplishment.

“I did it,” he said. “I made it. I did what I had to do.”

On Friday, the heralded rookie running back said he was excited to be back out on the field with his teammates for training camp.

The left knee that will be a focal point throughout camp is doing fine.

“I’m definitely getting better,” Gurley said. “Everything is getting better. I’m just looking forward to keep moving forward.”

The Rams have a plan. They will continue to take it slowly with Gurley.

And the rookie first-round pick will keep doing what he’s being told to do, even if he’d like to do more at times.

“It’s frustrating because you know you just feel like you can go or you know you just feel like you can do much more than the trainers or the coaches are giving you,” Gurley said. “But, they are just trying to protect you and they’ve been through this, they have years of experience. So, no need to rush it.”

Fisher said Friday the Rams want to keep building on what Gurley is able to do.

"We want to add individual reps," the coach said. "We want him to be able to practice. He could practice against the defense. You know, if you PUP him and you go into the season and you’ll lose him for six weeks. So, I think that’s kind of an indication of where we think he is. I can’t say if it’s Week 1 or Week 6, but we’re hoping that it’s somewhere in there. We’re not going to take any chances or any risks or subject him to any danger. But, you can kind of read the tea leaves there. We feel like he’s ahead of schedule and he’s a tremendous athlete, and this is going to give him a chance to know the offense inside and out."

RamBill

Legend
Miklasz: Potential move is buzzkill at Rams camp
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c4fb231e-3fcb-500b-aee6-838f23d3c627.html

The Rams have opened their training camp, and they’re hard at work, preparing for the season, trying to improve and doing their best to block out the noise.

In some ways, this will be business as usual. Coaches teaching. Players learning. Team meetings. Polishing fundamentals in the summer heat. Going through repetitions, and fine-tuning their knowledge of the offense and defense.

In other ways, this is a most unusual training camp — a strange way to begin a strange season. No one knows where the Rams will be practicing and training a year from now. They could be in Los Angeles. They could set up, like normal, in Earth City.

And if Rams owner Stan Kroenke gets his way, this will be the team’s final training camp in St. Louis. And for many fans, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to embrace the team they love. When you aren’t sure if the team will run away from you, the natural reaction is to hold back, stay at a safe distance and try to minimize the pain inside.

When an emotional connection between a fan and team is being frayed and gradually severed by feelings of uncertainty, fear and betrayal, it’s excruciatingly difficult to put on a front, feign enthusiasm and pretend that everything is normal.

Is this any way to begin the ritual of getting ready for some football? Something already has been taken away — the happy anticipation of the coming season — and that stinks.

The fans deserve better. But I have empathy for the players, the coaches, and the Rams’ front office. Coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead don’t ask for pity, but I sympathize with them, too.

I feel bad for everyone, really, including the non-football employees who have to market the product, sell the tickets and generate a positive vibe.

And I feel lousy because none of these people is named Stan Kroenke. They just work for Kroenke, but he’s not around. The people who keep the Rams organization going are still here, wanting to do a great job. But they’ll endure the fallout, dealing with the inevitable repercussions that surface when a fan base is agitated and alienated.

The Rams just want what every NFL team has right now: a fired-up fan base, amped to support them, and filled with optimism. Training camp is supposed to a time of building. Precious weeks that not only strengthen a squad of football players but reinforce the bond between a franchise and a community.

The Rams haven’t posted a winning record since 2003, or made the playoffs since 2004. Now in their fourth year in charge of the Rams football operation, Snead and Fisher are setting out in search of their first winning season.

They’ve made significant progress, reconstructing the roster and positioning the Rams for a brighter future. But the problem is away from the field, with the future of the franchise placed on hold.

This is Camp Kroenke. He’s not here, but his presence will be felt.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley not just a spectator as Rams open camp
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a9924f23-0055-5e5e-96cf-a7a6ba6e7614.html

Highly touted running back Todd Gurley took his first steps toward game day Friday as the Rams opened their 21st training camp as a St. Louis-based franchise.

To be sure, they were baby steps for Gurley, about 15 minutes of individual drills before a crowd of 1,181 on a hot Friday at the team’s Earth City complex. The Rams undoubtedly expect much more than 15 minutes of fame in the coming seasons for Gurley, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft out of Georgia.

“It was pretty exciting,” said the soft-spoken Gurley, wearing a brace on his surgically repaired left knee. “I’m just glad to be out there.”

Since draft day on April 30, Gurley’s time with the Rams has been limited to rehab, rehab ... and more rehab. So being able to do anything on the football field was a milestone or sorts.

“Instead of being over there with the trainer, just being with the guys and getting those 15 minutes in,” he said.

When Gurley passed his conditioning test Tuesday, and did so in impressive fashion, that ended any thoughts the Rams may have had about putting him on the physically unable to perform list.

With the way Gurley’s knee was progressing, why just have him standing around at the start of training camp? Although it is clear the Rams will be cautious about working Gurley back into action, why not have him doing something?

At least that’s how coach Jeff Fisher looked at it.

“We just felt in fairness to him, the PUP thing — it just didn’t make sense,” Fisher said. “Where the kid’s gonna stand there and watch. We want to build him. We want to add individual reps. We want him to be available to practice.

“Todd did a great job on the conditioning tests,” Fisher said. “He’s not 100 percent; he’s not ready to play in a game right now. (But) our feeling in the decision was based on the importance for him to be able to participate not only in the walk-throughs ... but also in the individual stuff.

“We’ll just kinda add things as we move forward. Timetable-wise, I don’t know. But I’m very, very encouraged as to where he is right now.”

While most of the team got away from Rams Park during the five-week break from the end of workouts in June to the start of training camp this week, Gurley was around for much of that time continuing his rehab work.

Any pro athlete who has undergone an anterior cruciate ligament repair will tell you how grueling, mentally and physically, the rehab process can be. But Fisher says Gurley has thrown himself into the work wholeheartedly.

“We couldn’t ask any more from him,” Fisher said. “There’s no complaints as far as what’s he’s doing. Every day he comes in with enthusiasm and energy knowing that he’s just about there.”

A measuring stick of sorts for Gurley has been fellow running back Isaiah Pead, who also is recovering from knee surgery after an injury in August 2014.

“Isaiah Pead’s two months ahead of Todd,” Fisher said, referencing when the surgery took place. “And you can tell the difference. Todd understands that the next two months are really, really important.”

No one at Rams Park is willing to put a timetable on when Gurley will be game ready. But even with the progress Gurley has made, it still seems unlikely he’ll be ready opening day Sept. 13 against Seattle.

“I can’t say if it’s Week 1 or Week 6,” Fisher said. “We’re hoping it’s somewhere in there. But we’re not gonna take any chances or any risk. Or subject him to any danger.

“But you can kind of read the tea leaves. We feel like he’s ahead of schedule. He’s a tremendous athlete. And this is gonna give him a chance to know the offense inside and out, and feel good about what he’s doing on a daily basis rather than just become that outcast that they typically feel like when they’re on PUP.”

For his part, Gurley isn’t worried about Week 1 or Week 6. Not yet, at least.

“All I know is I’ve got tomorrow,” he said. “I can’t worry about Week 1 right now.”

Basically Gurley shows up every day, approaches head athletic trainer Reggie Scott’s staff and asks: “What do you want me to do?”

But make no mistake, in a week or two Gurley may start to do some lobbying with Fisher about increasing his workload on the field.

“That’ll become a problem eventually, I’m quite sure,” Fisher said, smiling.

“One thing about me, I’m not being timid on it,” Gurley said. “I’m at the stage now where I’m not really thinking about (the injury) too much.”

Gurley wouldn’t go so far as to say he could play in a game in a couple of weeks. But he’s getting ever closer.

“Like I said, I’m definitely getting better. Everything’s getting better,” Gurley said. “I’m just looking forward to keep moving it forward.”

Even with the limited practice work in the early going of camp, Gurley said the team’s daily walk-through periods will help him stay sharp mentally in terms of learning the playbook.

“Yeah, walk-throughs are big,” he said. “In college, we didn’t really have too many walk-throughs but the NFL definitely has a lot of walk-throughs, so that’s a good thing for me. ... I’m still making mistakes, but that’s why we’re here in camp.”