Official Training Camp Thread - Day Two!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Practice Report 8/1: Quick Recovering from Shoulder Injury
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-81-Quick-Recovering-from-Shoulder-Injury/12f06197-2840-4ee1-9d0d-e8e46282b40a

Head coach Jeff Fisher addressed several topics after the Rams’ second day of training camp and among them was Brian Quick’s return to the practice field.

Quick suffered a dislocated shoulder and torn rotator cuff last October against the Kansas City Chiefs. He participated in OTAs on a limited basis this spring and continues to progress well.

“It’s remarkable what he’s overcome,” Fisher said. “The damage that he sustained to his shoulder was significant and there was some talk early on that it might have been career ending. But he kept fighting through each stage of the rehab one week after the next and he kept getting better. We sent him back down to Dr. James Andrews and he was amazed at his progress.”

Quick noted the arduous road he has taken to get to this point, saying he clocked in for rehab from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. most days during the offseason.

“I am a fighter and everybody can see it,” Quick said. “I want to fight out here with my teammates, and brothers, and for the coaches, and for this program. I am just doing it for them and I feel like I can continue to do what I need to come out here and work every day.”

The fourth-year wideout said he still has some small things to work on, but for the most part has full range of motion and is ready to go.

“I’m feeling good and I’m just ready to start the process of staying consistent and just having fun with the guys out here,” Quick said. “It’s going to be a process and I just have to trust coaches. And they’re going to watch me and see how I look, and we’re going to go from there.”

He also said that coming back from the injury feels somewhat like coming in as a rookie again, but wants to pick back up where he left off last year, which would be great for him and the entire team. Before his Week-eight injury he was experiencing a career best in catches, receiving yards, and touchdowns. While wanting to continue last year’s success, he said his return in 2015 comes with a new mindset toward the game.

“There are things that I didn’t take the time to appreciate when I was out here before,” Quick said. “Things happen so fast out here and you really don’t get the time to see what’s going on. And it made me realize that time is really limited out here and anything can happen at any moment. Everybody says it, but for me to experience it was different.”

Although the wide receiver is on the field running routes against the defense, he is being eased in slowly. Even though practice the past two days has been only in helmets, Quick has worn a yellow cap atop his helmet as an extra precaution so surrounding players don’t make any extra contact on that shoulder.

“He’s not there yet and you can tell we are keeping him off the ground,” Fisher said. “But he’s running and he’s still got a little bit of motion and flexibility to work on and some strength, but by all means we expect him to be back. So it’s a pretty impressive off-season of rehab that he committed to and that he got from our medical staff.”

I'm happy Quick has been able to recover. Hope he can have a big year!

RamBill

Legend
Brian Quick appreciates every day, even training camp, after returning from shoulder surgery
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29769691.html

EARTH CITY, Mo.

St. Louis Rams receiver Brian Quick was well on his way toward a breakout season in 2014 until being derailed by a significant shoulder injury that included a torn rotator cuff and dislocated left shoulder.

That’s bad for anyone, let alone an NFL receiver who takes major hits to every parts of his body on a regular basis.

In only six games, the 2012 second-round pick was leading the Rams with 25 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns. He was injured Oct. 26 against Kansas City and has spent many of his waking moments since then doing anything and everything to get back to the sport that he loves.

“I’m a fighter and everybody can see it,” said Quick, who not only made it back to the field for the start of training camp but seems to be moving well while hauling in passes. “It’s not up to me to show them, I have to have something inside of me that wants to come out here and fight with my fellow teammates and brothers, for the coaches and this program

“I’m doing it for them and I feel like I can continue to do what I need to do and work every day, I will be successful.”

The 26-year-old former Appalachian State star underwent a grueling rehab process that many days stretched from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Yes, there was plenty of stretching and range of motion exercises and strength work and everything else that went into trying to build his shoulder back to withstanding the rigors of an NFL game.

“It’s a long progress and there’s so many little things that people would not get or understand with my injury, how my injury was,” Quick said. “I can’t explain it too much, but I can tell you it was a long process. I just knew it was going to be tough.

“Nothing in life is easy.”

As a result, Quick got a special feeling when he returned to the field Friday for the opening day of training camp.

“It’s like being a rookie all over again, you’re starting over,” Quick said. “Coming out here and being with the guys is completely different than doing anything by yourself. All the emotions that went through my head yesterday ... I was excited, not nervous, but I was just excited. The coaches could tell and I came out here and just calmed down a little bit.”

Quick said that noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews had a special term for him.

“He was like ‘I’m a miracle,’’’ Quick said, referring to his ability to come back from such a significant injury and surgical procedure. “I would really say I’m blessed to get the opportunity to be out here and I want to really thank him and the trainers and everybody. It’s a blessing to be out here and get an opportunity.”

Quick, a big target at 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds, could be a major piece to the Rams’ offense. His fast start last season came after two struggling seasons that saw him combine for 29 catches, 458 yards and four touchdowns while starting only six of 31 games.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Quick’s injury was more significant than many realized.

“It’s remarkable what he’s overcome,” Fisher said. “The damage that he sustained to his shoulder was significant and there was some talk early on that it might have been career-ending, that he may not be able to come back. He just kept fighting through each stage of the rehab one week after the next and he kept getting better.

“We sent him back down to see Dr. Andrews and he was amazed at his progress.”

Quick isn’t pleased about it, but the Rams are limiting his contact by making him wear a yellow cover over his helmet. It’s not quite like a red jersey for quarterbacks, but Quick does not like the extra attention.

“Oh man, the yellow hat,” he said. “They’re giving me (stuff) for it. Being out there going full speed, it’s kind of hard to kind of do things and people are like ‘oh, they can’t hit him.’ But they understand and I understand that I have to believe in the process, so I have to do what they tell me to do, wear the yellow hat and continue to work hard.”

What’s so bad about the extra precaution?

“It’s the color,” Quick joked. “It’s so bright, I need it darker. I told Coach I want a black one because nobody can see it. It just blends right in.”

Fisher is being protective of a player the Rams could lean on heavily if he returns to the form he flashed early last season.

“He’s not there yet,” Fisher said. “You can tell, we’re keeping him off the ground, but he’s running and he’s still little got a little bit of motion and flexibility to work on, some strength. But by all means we expect him to be back.

“It’s a pretty impressive offseason of rehab that he committed to and he got from our medical staff.”

Rams General Manager Les Snead has become an even bigger fan of Quick after witnessing his rehab process.

“If you were to talk to the trainers and the medical staff, and probably even Dr. Andrews, they love Brian Quick,” Snead said. “They said from where he was — which we see a lot of injuries in football and that was a tough one — they call them car-wreck injuries because it’s not your normal injury.

“There’s less case studies on how to get the guy from Point A to Point Z, but man, he was in here every day, a lot of days a week. If you go down there right now and ask the trainers about Brian Quick they’ll all go ‘All right, that’s a man.’ You pull for him because he’s come a long way.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
@RamzFanz Thanks for the report great read! Can't wait to see our boys on the TV.

RamBill

Legend
Battle is turning heads on offensive line
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29772433.html#storylink=cpy

EARTH CITY, Mo.

While the St. Louis Rams are taking a look at several rookie offensive linemen, another potential wild-card remains in former Clemson offensive tackle Isaiah Battle.

Taken by the Rams in the fifth round of the NFL supplemental draft, the 6-foot-7, 290-pound Battle adds some intrigue to an incoming rookie offensive line class that already included second-round pick Rob Havenstein, third-round pick Jamon Brown, fourth-round pick Andrew Donnal and sixth-round pick Cody Wichmann.

By choosing Battle in the supplemental draft, the Rams had to surrender their fifth-round pick in the 2016 draft, a risk they felt comfortable taking.

“The guy is gifted, physically gifted,” Rams General Manager Les Snead said. “He was well on our radar. A little bit last year because there was talk maybe he might come out last year. Chose not to. He’s a guy that’d been on your radar, so you knew he had a chance depending on how he played this year.

“He was gonna be a guy that you had to look and evaluate to see if he was an early prospect.”

Battle started 15 of 27 games at Clemson, but also dealt with some off-field issues and was suspended last season for a violation of team rules.

“He’s got some work to do,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday. “As we told him it’s not about next September, it’s about this September. If he’s on the roster, if he’s on the 53, he’s a couple snaps away from playing so he’s got to get himself into shape.

“Thus far he’s done pretty good. He’s clearly behind the rest of the group just because he hasn’t been here, but in a short period of time I think he’s holding his own. We’ll see how it is over the next couple weeks.”

Snead is approaching 2015 as something of a redshirt season for Battle, who could potentially compete with rookie second-round pick Rob Havenstein at right tackle.

“Redshirt can sometimes mean if he makes the 53, that doesn’t mean you’ve got a jersey on game day,” Snead said of Battle. “Now, we’re all human. If the guy comes out and in a week says I’m the best ... I’m not gonna put a timeline on that but I think that’s what your rational expectations would be.”

Camp is in session

The Rams drew 1,440 fans Saturday on the second day of training camp and will offer another free training camp session at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at their team facility in Earth City, Mo.

Starter Nick Foles continued to get a lot of reps at quarterback while backups Austin Davis, Case Keenum and rookie quarterback Sean Mannion all got looks as well.

Since the Rams used one of two third-round picks on Mannion, the final backup job could be a battle between Davis and Keenum. The Rams had Keenum on their roster last season, allowed him to leave, then brought him back by trading a seventh-round pick in 2015 to Houston.

Davis started eight games and won three of them for the Rams last season, playing in 10 games overall. He threw for 2,001 yards and 12 TDs with nine interceptions.

“We’re going to allow them to play,” Fisher said. “Unfortunately for them, Nick’s going to probably get a few more reps early than he ordinarily would, particularly because he’s new in the offense. But we’re going to allow them all to play and compete and we’ll see what happens.

“Case has won games, Austin’s won games,” Fisher said. “They both have a good feel for what they’re doing and they’ve got a tall, slender rookie that’s breathing down their necks right now. It should be a good battle.”

Center Barrett Jones got a lot of reps with the first offensive unit Saturday and continues to battle Tim Barnes and second-year center Demetrius Rhaney. One of the top defensive plays Saturday was an acrobatic one-handed interception by Rams safety Rodney McLeod.

Injured players held out of practice were defensive end Chris Long (back), safety Mark Barron (knee) and cornerback Brandon McGee (foot)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rex Ryan was just raving about John Miller, but when I watched Louisville tape, Jamon was the guy that really flashed for me. Just saying, me excited.

RamzFanz

Damnit
oline03_zps3gaqzb1u.gif

ram007

Starter
I have never heard about a bad day to Rams WR group in training camp the last 5 years. In the same boat, all this praise about OL, I am going to take it with a grain of salt.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have never heard about a bad day to Rams WR group in training camp the last 5 years. In the same boat, all this praise about OL, I am going to take it with a grain of salt.

Really? I have until Britt came and it was all true. Britt elevated this corp of receivers.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Man am I happy to hear positive Foles news
Positive? What part of this was positive?

>>both coacho and myself were disappointed with Foles athleticism and speed in going though his progessions....not awful but was hoping for more<<