Official Training Camp Thread - Day Three!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
View attachment 8690 Quinn doing his thing...
Seen lots of early TC pics, and looking at that photo...i thought for a second that i might have finally seen a pocket for the QB ....but alas, it was just a mirage. DE bearing down for the killshot.

I'm looking forward to live action(vs the enemy) for our young OLine. That really is the key to how this offense and team will ultimately perform this year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Can you comment on the speed of some of the players, or guys that stood out in quickness, hustle, strength, or bulk, etc.

I really can't. This team is HUGE. The O line? OMG they are big! LOT'S of hustle like TA, Bailey, Mason, The entire D line... I'm waiting for them to tire and play in pads. Endurance will be the key.

Speed goes to the D-line. Forget about it. They must be holding back sometimes because when they go all out, it's not one guy in the backfield, it's three or four. That isn't a slam on the o-line, these guys are twisting an turning themselves into the backfield.

By the way, no one is talking about Mason but he had a great day. Several big plays.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Had another great day today. I saw that JT reported a larger crowd yesterday but I have to disagree. It sure looked a lot more crowded today to me. I got to take my two sons and they had a blast. ROD had a great showing out there today. I saw @RamzFanz and @CoachO again and met @Leuzer @Tortoise and @badnews there as well!

I don’t have a lot to add beyond what others have already posted. Just a few notes:

The fighting part was cool but the injury part sucked.

One guy that jumped out at us as the Oline was doing the hill drill was Isaiah Battle. My son commented how he was the biggest one.

Again today we saw Foles under a lot of pressure. I will say this though, while the pass protection is behind (or appears so) from where we would like the run blocking is excellent.

Bailey catches everything.

Number 8 was called out again today a few times…WR Tyler Slavin.

I agree, this was the biggest crowd so far.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I can't get any pics or gifs in tonight. I will fill in tomorrow's void. Goodnight all.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
KnowBody:

This will be all flow, no order, other than that divined by chance

What I saw was what I expected to see, a magical catch by Stedman Bailey

On a perfect throw by Nick Foles where he put it the only place it could be

Jenks made a strong play on the ball, but Bailey’s concentration and hands were to strong.. he and Foles hooked up for what, to me, was the play of the day for the offense

The defense is making plays and forcing turnovers. Swarming to the ball and attacking with brutality, maybe too much, even, because the pads are not even on yet.. but still, I respect that they gave all their heart to a practice, as should be done, as it is just as important as the performance that you are in training for

Let me interrupt this transcript to explain to you how wrong I can be. I thought Isaiah Pead was going to be a superstar Barry Sanders type running back in this league. I talked him up endlessly during his first training camp. I did my part in creating a false set of expectations for you all to have; which is why this report, as well as any report, should be taken lightly, and read for sheer enjoyment, and not for actually learning anything, in my opinion. Pead saw limited action but gave every ounce of energy and heart that he had to it, so for that alone he should be commended. Just because he didn’t live up to my unrealistic expectations, doesn’t make him a failure, not in my eyes, at least
I was distraught when I did not see Gaines on the field, but Marcus Roberson stepped up and made some place out there.. and speaking of CB’s, Joyner is my Defensive MVP of the practice of 8-2… he made a strong play on the ball protecting a score at the last second and came up with what would have been a pick six, once again created by heavy pressure from our dominant Dline

I really do love every player on the team and people in general, which is why I am writing this report, but in my opinion, Gaines is a better cornerback than Janoris Jenkins… don’t get me wrong, I love me some Jenk, when he is recovering fumbles, intercepting the ball and laying out TE’s, and I hope he has a phenomenal season, but I still think Gaines is the more consistent corner of the two.. is it my Mizzou loyalty bleeding through, perhaps, but I think the world of Gaines and his potential, so long as he can stay healthy.. hope the reports on his health are positive!!

Ogletree might be our best defensive player, or the player with the highest ceiling, other than anyone on our DL.. he is fun to watch play the game. The zone blitzing that Williams enjoys to use in order to confuse the offense presnap plays perfectly into his game because he can play man or zone as well as a safety.. he should have had a pick today.. foles was forced to throw a bad pass by the nonstop interior beast rush, he stepped up to make the play, similarly to his pick six against the Texans, but dropped the ball.. hopefully he makes that play when it counts

Side note: It is nice not having to report on how well sam Bradford is looking this time of year

Not saying that Nick is the surefire answer, but he did throw a few beautiful balls today, as did Keenum, in conditions that do not accurately represent real game conditions, so they thusly must be taken for what they are… nothing… he also made a few poor throws.. our offense is struggling to find itself against a great defense. So as long as the offensive players don’t let the lack of perfection disable them from maintaining that inner confidence, they will grow, together, better every day.. they just have to learn how to work together and communicate..

that new OLine looks the part, with those massive piles of pure beastliness ready to protect at all costs, but they gave way too much today..

that said, Nick Foles still made some nice throws and the offense had some decent plays, that would have been valid scores or first downs

they are just learning, like young puppies, so I treat them as such, as most of them are way younger than me at 29

Anything that we want pin point our attention on, we will see, and it is difficult to focus on individual points when everything is happening at once, and it is happening instantaneously, and I really didn’t know what to key in on today, but for the most part, so my specifics and what not have been comprimsed

Robinson is an athletic freak at the LT position. He is faster than last year, and much quicker to react with the proper instincts. He made an impressive play on a screen that only the most athletic and determined LT’s can make. He did get beat by Quinn several times, but who doesn’t get struck by black lightning from time to time ?

While flowing on the Dline

The interior of our Oline was eaten alive by Donald and Fairley today, and don’t forget about Brockers too, what a beastly line we have… but the addition of Fairley might have been a bigger move than I first thought

Stedman Bailey is our #1 receiver, imo, he needs to be on the field more

Tavon looks more confident and sure of himself than he did a few years ago.. I expect to be wrong about him being a bust. He already isn’t a bust, as he helped us beat indy, and I love and respect any Ram on the team that does anything to help us win games

But losing, as a Rams fan, it has been great.. I love rooting for the underdog. That said, I am ready for the Rams to dominate. From start to finish of every game, all year long. I know that perfection is impossible. But so was that throw that Foles made to Bailey, and yet, as we know, it was still made.

I just hope we get through camp and preseason healthy

I didn’t focus much on the specifics because I spent the majority of my concentration on communicating with this interesting individual that I met there who helped me remember how unimportant money is, as it will leave every single one of you when it is your time to pass on from this life.. also, he pointed out the three bright shining trees on the otherside.. I could try to explain what we communicated about but it would be a waste of time and space

Thus, as it is now apparent, I was able to care enough about that communication, and let go of caring so much about every single play that is made at practice today, because I didn’t think I was going to write a report.

I didn’t go to camp to write a report

I went to camp to watch the magical Bailey catch and talk to this brother of mine that doesn’t even really care much for the Rams

You don’t have to be a rams fan to be on my side
As evidence by the title, this practice wasn’t serious, not to me at least, but a serious fight did break out between the offense and defense

The energy at this practice was intense, even though I know that the coaches wanted them to take it easy and focus on technique and that sort of thing

This team could turn into something very special.. I don’t want to preach optimism so that I can form my little tent of Rams believers, but I haven’t seen a defense this disruptive and chaotic and downright dominant since I became a Rams fan back when they moved to Saint Louis

The key will be can this offensive line create time and space for Foles and our Rb’s

The key will always be, is our interior our greatest strength?

On defense, yes, on offense, I’m not so sure. It is a mystery

It was refreshing to see Rams football being played again

I look forward to my own continued self growth as well as the growth of this team

However, if this team lets me down, which it has done every year for the last 15 years, I will still love them

I just hope they stay in STL

Go Rams!!!!

i see the heart and i love it
Duuude...
UYOl2I8.gif

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Thanks all for the reports, very well done.
Bailey....Bailey....Bailey The guy is total stud like Donald, he must start and get lots of playing time.
B Jones is now starting to sound like a bust, I hope not.
Why all the hate on Pead? Trading him would be a monumental mistake IMO.
Encouraging to hear about the QB's Foles, Keenum, and Mannion.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Why do you think this? You're not confident in Mason+Gurley+Cunningham? I'm not on the side wanting to trade Pead. But why would it be a monumental mistake to do so?

Tortoise

UDFA
Had a great time at Rams Park. I got to meet several ROD members, which, after following their posts for so long, was pretty cool. A good bunch of guys!

Bailey was incredible! I wish I was able to get some pics of his catches. His hands are amazing. I am really hoping he is featured more this season.

That said, most of Bailey's catches were awesome because the throws were not on target. Foles was not on today. I don't know if he is still getting his timing down with some of the guys or if it is an accuracy issue. The other thing that was pointed out and discussed was - If the first read isn't there, he gets happy feet and struggles with his 2nd and 3rd read. He is holding the ball WAY too long when going through the progressions. Is it because he is still learning the playbook and doesn't know automatically where the receivers are supposed to be? I sure hope so. I'm hoping to hear Coach's take on this in the next few days.

Mannion had the best day for the QBs. He had an interception, and a couple of (well) overthrown balls, but for the most part he was on target. If he can keep this up, #2 QB is his.

Britt had a good day. He made some really nice catches, and most of the passes to him were right were they were supposed to be.

Quick had several good catches. - one with a defender draped all over him (I believe it was Joyner). He used his size perfectly to box the defender out.

Tre Mason was looking really good. Nice burst of speed hitting the hole.

Alex Bayer is an easy guy to forget about. He made a nice catch and I had to look at my roster to see who 82 was. He made 2 more nice catches, one of which almost took his head off. Mannion threw him a ball with some extra sauce on it. It was almost on top of Bayer before he came out of his break. I still don't know how he got his hands up to catch it in time. If it were me, I'd still be in surgery having a football removed from my throat!

Pead. This guy pisses me off. All of the talent in the world, and a 'woe-is-me' attitude. For 2 years I've wanted him cut from this team. If he keeps doing what he did today, that won't be happening this year either. Bennie better step up his game because Pead was bringing it. Did I mention he pisses me off? Grrr.

The defense in general had a great day. It would be hard to single any of them out. They were in the backfield on most plays - that includes most of the nice plays that I referenced up above. In a real game, those plays never would have happened because the QB would have been buried in the turf. I hope that changes once the pads come on. I have zero concerns about them being ready to go on week 1 (with exception to Gaines' injury - tbd).

Joyner had a rough start, but about 1/2 through the practice, he started making some really nice plays.

Gaines got tangled up with Britt and went down. He was laying on the field being attended to by the trainers for several minutes. You could tell he was really hurting. He was able to walk off the field on his own, but it didn't look good.

Emory Blake was down on the far sideline for a long time. He was having his foot/ankle looked at. I didn't see when/how he got off the field.

T.J. McDonald got man-handled on one play and didn't care for it. There was a couple extra shoves after the whistle. That lead to a punch - I believe by Cook - that would make Isaiah Battle proud. At that point, neither was backing down and 3/4 the team swarmed in. It was hard to tell what all was happening but McDonald ended up getting taken down. I read someone else thought Jamon Brown was in on it too? I can't say for sure. These guys are ready to put the pads on though.

Offensive Line.
This is a hard one. They aren't in pads, so it is very hard to judge where they are.
Havenstein got beat on the edge pretty bad on a play. Other than that, I didn't notice him. (That is a good thing) I didn't see the D coming from that edge while he was there.
Jones got pushed around at center quite a bit. I wasn't impressed with Barnes with the 1 on 1 drills. I tried to follow Rhaney, but with everything going on, I only watched a few plays and he held his own.
Washington, Bond, D. Williams and Wang were turnstiles.
Reynolds seemed ok.

I think that this season is going to hinge on the offense and if the line can come together, and Foles has to get the ball out quickly and accurately - even if it is to his 2nd or 3rd read. After seeing practice today, I have concerns.

Just my take on the day. I'm hoping to make practice Tuesday.

T

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Got this from another site:
How can one possibly present any meaningful information about nothing

Well, nothing is all relative, depending on who you are, and where you are at, so to me, watching a padless practice while communicating with a new found friend, nothing was the actual practice itself

I do this because I love people. And maybe there is one interested Rams fan out there that wants to read a different take on this team during this immensely meaningful, yet meaningless time of year

This will be all flow, no order, other than that divined by chance

What I saw was what I expected to see, a magical catch by Stedman Bailey

On a perfect throw by Nick Foles where he put it the only place it could be

Jenks made a strong play on the ball, but Bailey’s concentration and hands were to strong.. he and Foles hooked up for what, to me, was the play of the day for the offense

The defense is making plays and forcing turnovers. Swarming to the ball and attacking with brutality, maybe too much, even, because the pads are not even on yet.. but still, I respect that they gave all their heart to a practice, as should be done, as it is just as important as the performance that you are in training for

Let me interrupt this transcript to explain to you how wrong I can be. I thought Isaiah Pead was going to be a superstar Barry Sanders type running back in this league. I talked him up endlessly during his first training camp. I did my part in creating a false set of expectations for you all to have; which is why this report, as well as any report, should be taken lightly, and read for sheer enjoyment, and not for actually learning anything, in my opinion. Pead saw limited action but gave every ounce of energy and heart that he had to it, so for that alone he should be commended. Just because he didn’t live up to my unrealistic expectations, doesn’t make him a failure, not in my eyes, at least..

I was distraught when I did not see Gaines on the field, but Marcus Roberson stepped up and made some place out there.. and speaking of CB’s, Joyner is my Defensive MVP of the practice of 8-2… he made a strong play on the ball protecting a score at the last second and came up with what would have been a pick six, once again created by heavy pressure from our dominant Dline.. he is looking like the playmaker that we used a second rounder on, at least today, he was

I really do love every player on the team and people in general, again, which is why I am writing this report, but in my opinion, Gaines is a better cornerback than Janoris Jenkins… don’t get me wrong, I love me some Jenk when he is recovering fumbles, intercepting the ball and laying out TE’s, and I hope he has a phenomenal season, dont get me wrong, but I still think Gaines is the more consistent corner of the two.. is it my Mizzou loyalty bleeding through, perhaps, but I think the world of Gaines and his potential, so long as he can stay healthy.. hope the reports on his health are positive!!

in this passing league you need way more than just two quality cover men though, so all will find their time and place

Ogletree might be our best defensive player, or the player with the highest ceiling, other than anyone on our DL.. he is fun to watch play the game. The zone blitzing that Williams enjoys to use in order to confuse the offense presnap plays perfectly into his game because he can play man or zone as well as a safety.. he should have had a pick today.. foles was forced to throw a bad pass by the nonstop interior beast rush, he stepped up to make the play, similarly to his pick six against the Texans, but dropped the ball.. hopefully he makes that play when it counts. i believe he will.

Side note: It is nice not having to report on how well sam Bradford is looking this time of year

Not saying that Nick is the surefire answer, but he did throw a few beautiful balls today, as did Keenum, in conditions that do not accurately represent real game conditions, so they thusly must be taken for what they are… nothing… he also made a few poor throws.. our offense is struggling to find itself against a great defense. So as long as the offensive players don’t let the lack of perfection disable them from maintaining that inner confidence, they will grow, together, better every day.. they just have to learn how to work together and communicate..

that new OLine looks the part, with those massive piles of pure beastliness ready to protect at all costs, but they gave way too much today..

that said, Nick Foles still made some nice throws and the offense had some decent plays, that would have been valid scores or first downs, but all in all, it was rather pathetic to watch

they are just learning, like young puppies, so I treat them as such, as most of them are way younger than me at 29

Anything that we want pin point our attention on, we will see, and it is difficult to focus on individual points when everything is happening at once, and it is happening instantaneously, and I really didn’t know what to key in on today, but for the most part, so my specifics and what not have been compromised

Robinson is an athletic freak at the LT position. He is faster than last year, and much quicker to react with the proper instincts. He made an impressive play on a screen that only the most athletic and determined LT’s can make. He did get beat by Quinn several times, but who doesn’t get struck by black lightning from time to time ?

Havenstein is a mean beast out on that field.. i wouldn't want to mess with that dude, or any of these guys, really

enough of the good, on to the bad, The interior of our Oline was eaten alive by Donald and Fairley today, and don’t forget about Brockers too, what a beastly line we have… but the addition of Fairley might have been a bigger move than I first thought

Stedman Bailey is our #1 receiver, imo, he needs to be on the field more

Tavon looks more confident and sure of himself than he did a few years ago.. I expect to be wrong about him being a bust. He already isn’t a bust, as he helped us beat indy, and I love and respect any Ram on the team that does anything to help us win games

But losing, as a masochistic Rams fan, it has been great.. I love rooting for the underdog. That said, I am ready for the Rams to dominate because i am changing my ways. From start to finish of every game, all year long. I know that perfection is impossible. But so was that throw that Foles made to Bailey, and yet, as we know, it was still made.

I just hope we get through camp and preseason healthy

I didn’t focus much on the specifics because I spent the majority of my concentration on communicating with this interesting individual that I met there who helped me remember how unimportant money is, as it will leave every single one of you when it is your time to pass on from this life.. also, he pointed out the three bright shining trees on the otherside.. I could try to explain what we communicated about but it would be a waste of time and space

Thus, as it is now apparent, I was able to care enough about that communication, and let go of caring so much about every single play that is made at practice today, because I didn’t think I was going to write a report.

I didn’t go to camp to write a report

I went to camp to watch the magical Bailey catch and talk to this brother of mine that doesn’t even really care much for the Rams

You don’t have to be a rams fan to be on my side
As evidence by the title, this practice wasn’t serious, not to me at least, but a serious fight did break out between the offense and defense

The energy at this practice was intense, even though I know that the coaches wanted them to take it easy and focus on technique and that sort of thing

This team could turn into something very special.. I don’t want to preach optimism so that I can form my little tent of Rams believers, but I haven’t seen a defense this disruptive and chaotic and downright dominant since I became a Rams fan back when they moved to Saint Louis

The key will be can this offensive line create time and space for Foles and our Rb’s

The key will always be, is our interior our greatest strength?

On defense, yes, on offense, I’m not so sure. It is a mystery

It was refreshing to see Rams football being played again

I look forward to my own continued self growth as well as the growth of this team

However, if this team lets me down, which it has done every year for the last 15 years, I will still love them

I just hope they stay in STL

Go Rams!!!!

i see the heart and i love it

if you have any particular players, oh yeah, Alex Bayer is our best pass catching TE imo, that you want my non expert opinion on, let me know, i will try to get around to them as time allows

hope you have a swell evening, and shine on

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Amitar said:

Shouldn't give him away like Stacy, but we're loaded at RB and Pead becomes a FA at the end of the season. If we can get some real value, whether draft pick or another needed player, then i'd favor such a trade, but I also see good value for solid depth if some team just wants to steal him. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yeah, Fairley is going to be an amazing addition.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Had a great time at Rams Park. I got to meet several ROD members, which, after following their posts for so long, was pretty cool. A good bunch of guys!

Bailey was incredible! I wish I was able to get some pics of his catches. His hands are amazing. I am really hoping he is featured more this season.

That said, most of Bailey's catches were awesome because the throws were not on target. Foles was not on today. I don't know if he is still getting his timing down with some of the guys or if it is an accuracy issue. The other thing that was pointed out and discussed was - If the first read isn't there, he gets happy feet and struggles with his 2nd and 3rd read. He is holding the ball WAY too long when going through the progressions. Is it because he is still learning the playbook and doesn't know automatically where the receivers are supposed to be? I sure hope so. I'm hoping to hear Coach's take on this in the next few days.

Mannion had the best day for the QBs. He had an interception, and a couple of (well) overthrown balls, but for the most part he was on target. If he can keep this up, #2 QB is his.

Britt had a good day. He made some really nice catches, and most of the passes to him were right were they were supposed to be.

Quick had several good catches. - one with a defender draped all over him (I believe it was Joyner). He used his size perfectly to box the defender out.

Alex Bayer is an easy guy to forget about. He made a nice catch and I had to look at my roster to see who 82 was. He made 2 more nice catches, one of which almost took his head off. Mannion threw him a ball with some extra sauce on it. It was almost on top of Bayer before he came out of his break. I still don't know how he got his hands up to catch it in time. If it were me, I'd still be in surgery having a football removed from my throat!

Pead. This guy pisses me off. All of the talent in the world, and a 'woe-is-me' attitude. For 2 years I've wanted him cut from this team. If he keeps doing what he did today, that won't be happening this year either. Bennie better step up his game because Pead was bringing it. Did I mention he pisses me off? Grrr.

The defense in general had a great day. It would be hard to single any of them out. They were in the backfield on most plays - that includes most of the nice plays that I referenced up above. In a real game, those plays never would have happened because the QB would have been buried in the turf. I hope that changes once the pads come on. I have zero concerns about them being ready to go on week 1 (with exception to Gaines' injury - tbd).

Joyner had a rough start, but about 1/2 through the practice, he started making some really nice plays.

Gaines got tangled up with Britt and went down. He was laying on the field being attended to by the trainers for several minutes. You could tell he was really hurting. He was able to walk off the field on his own, but it didn't look good.

Emory Blake was down on the far sideline for a long time. He was having his foot/ankle looked at. I didn't see when/how he got off the field.

T.J. McDonald got man-handled on one play and didn't care for it. There was a couple extra shoves after the whistle. That lead to a punch - I believe by Cook - that would make Isaiah Battle proud. At that point, neither was backing down and 3/4 the team swarmed in. It was hard to tell what all was happening but McDonald ended up getting taken down. I read someone else thought Jamon Brown was in on it too? I can't say for sure. These guys are ready to put the pads on though.

Offensive Line.
This is a hard one. They aren't in pads, so it is very hard to judge where they are.
Havenstein got beat on the edge pretty bad on a play. Other than that, I didn't notice him. (That is a good thing) I didn't see the D coming from that edge while he was there.
Jones got pushed around at center quite a bit. I wasn't impressed with Barnes with the 1 on 1 drills. I tried to follow Rhaney, but with everything going on, I only watched a few plays and he held his own.
Reynolds seemed ok.

I think that this season is going to hinge on the offense and if the line can come together, and Foles has to get the ball out quickly and accurately - even if it is to his 2nd or 3rd read. After seeing practice today, I have concerns.

T
Nice pics and report, sir!!! Bayer was a guy that got us talking about him...again. he can catch.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Two most positive takeaways for me...

1) Our defense looks good...very.

2) We will be able to run the ball. I saw some very nice running lanes out there and we certainly have the horses.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Wasn't a fan of Foles before training camp, and you guys aren't exactly easing my fears.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Offensive Line.
Reynolds seemed ok.

T
Nice job. Thanks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wasn't a fan of Foles before training camp, and you guys aren't exactly easing my fears.
A few days, a new team, and offense. A few O-linemen learning the game, and each other ....I'm willing to let it play out a little.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
A few days, a new team, and offense. A few O-linemen learning the game, and each other ....I'm willing to let it play out a little.

Isn't Mannion dealing with the exact same circumstance, and yet nothing but glowing reviews (maybe Mannion is held to a lower standard, there could be many reasons).

Honestly I have no choice but to let it play out, but it doesn't enthuse me too much.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Offensive Line.
Reynolds seemed ok.

T

Great job Tortoise! That was a good read!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Isn't Mannion dealing with the exact same circumstance, and yet nothing but glowing reviews (maybe Mannion is held to a lower standard, there could be many reasons).

Honestly I have no choice but to let it play out, but it doesn't enthuse me too much.
Sounded like a lot of rave reviews for Foles the first couple of days, including a lot of praise for his deep ball. Don't get hung up on one day.