Official Training Camp Thread - Day 8!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I got nothing. It's a closed practice and I didn't even know they had practice today.

:bueller:

I just saw it was Special Teams only. Probably not going to be much.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Must be closed so that nobody tips off the shecocks. Its been a long time since the Rams special teams were truly special but they are on the verge of being very special if they can just clean up the stupid penalties.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Must be closed so that nobody tips off the shecocks. Its been a long time since the Rams special teams were truly special but they are on the verge of being very special if they can just clean up the stupid penalties.

It's media only.

RamBill

Legend
Rookie safety Jacob Hagen wins the day in special teams practice
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-hagen-wins-the-day-in-special-teams-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Never one lacking in creativity, St. Louis Rams special teams coach John Fassel offered a new way for his player to compete in the team's special teams-only practice Saturday night.

After a relatively light workout -- especially compared to the physical approach of Monday's special teams practice -- Fassel had his charges line up in groups of two with a football for what amounted to a veritable two-man tug of war.

The premise is simple: one football, two players, each with a hand on the ball. The player that's able to wrest the ball away from the other wins. In what was basically an NCAA tournament style format, there were about 64 players competing with winners moving on to the next round. The winner was probably considered a dark horse, which is fitting given his background.

Undrafted rookie safety Jacob Hagen emerged with the win in the final round against running back Malcolm Brown.

Although a win in a simple practice competition won't win Hagen a job in a crowded safety group, it's never a bad thing to be noticed for something positive when you're a little-known player out of Liberty.

"I just come out and try to compete," Hagen said. "At the end of practice, coach Fassel just wanted to do a drill, bring a lot of competition in house. It's just a little fun competing.

"As a competitor, all of these guys out here want to win. Even something as little as that, you want to win."

Hagen admitted that he had a bit of an advantage because of his hands, which are abnormally large compared to the rest of the defensive backs, running backs and other special teamers. At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Hagen wears XXL gloves. He also said strategy is important, emphasizing placing your hand lower on the ball for a better grip.

As for his place on the team, Hagen knows it's a�tough road�but he has showed up in this camp, making a few plays in practice despite working with the third team most of the time.�He had 245 tackles and 15 career interceptions in college and has showed some of that nose for the ball.

Making the Rams at safety figures to be quite an uphill climb with the likes of Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald, Mark Barron, Maurice Alexander and Cody Davis already on the roster. Still, Hagen hopes to take advantage of any chance he gets to impress the coaches, especially on special teams.

"It's huge," Hagen said. "Football is not just offense and defense and special teams. Especially as a rookie, any way you can contribute, any special teams, that's huge. So it's a good opportunity."

There's no way to keep attendance during special teams practices since not all players are involved but there was one addition to the list of those sitting out Saturday night. Cornerback Imoan Claiborne did not participate, joining safety Maurice Alexander and cornerback Brandon McGee on the sidelines.

This special teams session was different from Monday's as the Rams didn't get as physical nor did they have the hard hitting one-on-one drills that offer a glimpse into who is performing and who isn't. Instead, it was more of a lighthearted workout, as evidenced by the grip drill described above.

The Rams made a small roster move Saturday night, releasing running back Terrence Franks. They signed defensive tackle Marcus Forston to replace Franks. Forston, who is listed at 6-foot-3, 305 pounds played his college ball at Miami (Fla.). He spent time with the New England Patriots after going undrafted in 2012.

Before heading to California later this week, the Rams have three more practices scheduled at Rams Park, starting Sunday afternoon. That workout is set for 4:30 p.m. ET and is open to the public.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/8: Hagen's Winning Day
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-88-Hagens-Winning-Day/54309cce-1c9a-40ab-b81a-e2f26eb1ade6#content-tools-share

After last night’s Lindenwood scrimmage, the Rams held a short special teams session as part of their recovery day in Earth City. Practicing without pads, the squad worked through a number of drills before coordinator John Fassel announced a competition to end practice.

Calling it, “August Madness,” Fassel had the 64 players split into pairs and then gave each pair a football. With each player having one hand on the football, the individual’s objective was to maintain a grip on the football at the sound of the whistle. Whoever successfully accomplished that moved onto the next round -- tournament style. After whittling the competitors down to two, rookie Jacob Hagen came away as the champion.

“At the end of practice, coach Fassel just wanted to do a drill to bring a little competition -- he likes there to be a lot of competition in-house,” Hagen said. “We were just having a little fun competing.”

“As a competitor, all these guys are out here wanting to win,” Hagen added. “Even if it’s something little as that, you want to win.”

With size 2X gloves, Hagen’s large hands played a role in his victory. But there was some strategy involved, too.

“It helps if you’re on the bottom of the ball,” Hagen said. “You usually have more power from down there.”

The undrafted free agent starred at Liberty, where he tallied a team-high eight interceptions in 2014. Named an FCS All-American by various media outlets, the three-year college starter said he feels like training camp has gone well so far. Knowing he has to take advantage of every opportunity in order to make the roster, Hagen has readily embraced trying to make an impression on special teams.

“Football is not just offense and defense -- it’s special teams, [too]. So anytime, especially as a rookie, any way you can contribute, any special teams is huge,” Hagen said.

While the Rams do have plenty of talent at the safety position, Hagen isn’t concerned about the numbers game. Instead, he sees his situation as a chance to acquire knowledge from those ahead of him.

“I have a great opportunity. Those guys have been around for a couple years,” Hagen said. “You learn from them, especially with the defense. And then come out every day [and play] special teams with a mindset that’s ready to work and get better.”

Hagen is getting a little antsy, though, saying he feels like nearly everyone on the team is ready to go hit a different color. But he added that he doesn’t anticipate having too many jitters when he steps on the field in Oakland for the first time.

“We’re going out to play football,” Hagen said. “I’ve done that my whole life.”

ROSTER MOVES

The Rams made a pair of roster moves on Saturday, releasing running back Terrence Franks, an undrafted rookie out of Texas State, and signing defensive tackle Marcus Forston.

Forston previously spent time with the Patriots from 2012-2014. New England released him in August of last year. A Miami product, Forston has appeared in four NFL contests.

RamBill

Legend
Long snapper Jake McQuaide is the man behind success of Rams' Zuerlein, Hekker
By R.B. FALLSTROM AP Sports Writer
August 08, 2015 - 9:11 pm EDT

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/b0983a21349643df89c5e7bfcc8fda15/FBN--Rams-Long-Snapper

ST. LOUIS — Jake McQuaide's objective is efficiency without being noticed.

The long snapper is the man standing behind the curtain on St. Louis Rams special teams, getting the job done going on five NFL seasons.

"I don't think he's ever had a bad day," kicker Greg Zuerlein said after practice Saturday. "I don't want to jinx him, but the ball is always where it needs to be.

"Just perfect, all the time."

McQuaide arrived without fanfare in 2011 as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State and beat out Chris Massey, who'd lasted nine years at the position. He's signed through 2017 and though the Rams have another long snapper in camp, Tyler Ott is just getting experience.

"Nobody really notices the long snapper unless something goes array," special teams coach John Fassel said. "Jake is so consistent and he's improved so much. He does everything and he's improved, too, with the little things."

According to team statistics, McQuaide has made 575 "clean" snaps without a mishap in his career. Though by design he's in the second wave downfield, he also has eight special teams tackles.

"I think we have the best special teams, and for us to be better, I have to be even better," McQuaide said. "I thought last year I snapped as well as anybody you could put on film."

McQuaide was already established when Zuerlein and Johnny Hekker came in together in 2012, the kicker as a sixth-round draft pick and the punter undrafted. Zuerlein has three of the four longest field goals in franchise history, including a 60-yarder as a rookie, and has a career success rate of 82 percent.

In Friday's scrimmage at Lindenwood University, Zuerlein connected from 64 yards.

Hekker went to the Pro Bowl in 2013 after setting an NFL single-season record with a net yardage of 44.2 yards. Last year he was second in the NFC in net punting, averaging 42.3 yards.

"Basically they bought themselves a Ferrari in Johnny, and you don't want to put 87 in a Ferrari, you've got to go for the high octane," McQuaide said. "So you have to have a perfect snap every single time to let him do his deal."

Long snappers typically get the ball to the field goal holder in 1½ rotations. Fassel said McQuaide's target time for zipping the ball to Hekker's hip is between 0.70 and 0.75 seconds.

"He's always doing things the right way," Zuerlein said. "He's a student of snapping. No mistakes."

McQuaide separates himself from the pack by staying involved after the snap. Rules against mauling the punter aren't applicable if the punting team uses motion so often McQuaide has to fend off a free shot before joining pursuit.

He knows the uniform numbers of players fellow NFC West teams will place on the nose to throw him off and doesn't mind taking the hits.

"Basically, their whole job is to just make my day not so much fun," McQuaide said. "To me, they're giving up a dude that they could use on the gunners.

"As long as I'm sound in protecting, I hope they keep doing it, keep coming with it."

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Johnny Ferrari?

It does have a certain ring to it...

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long: The Sky’s the Limit For This Defense
St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long talks about a change in the team’s locker room as it prepares for another new season.

Watch Chris Long Interview