Official Training Camp Thread - Day 11!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Random Observations:

What a gorgeous evening. Weather was perfect. Had a wonderful time watching practice and shooting the shit with the gang.

We sat by the 101 tent again and Farr chatted with us today quite a bit. He is such a cool guy. There was a lot of discussion about the whole Kroenke/la situation. I love it when he breaks down the D-line. He was talking about Brockers being able to draw 1 on 1s and how quick and strong Donald is. Good times!

The Oline looked good.

They worked a lot on running and short stuff again. We were wishing out loud that they would work downfield more. Give us one...ONE...shot longer than 15 yards. Not too long after came a nice long shot to Marquez who made a nifty catch. He has looked quite good. There were a couple other longer shots as well after that.

They lined up 5 wide once but the play was wistled before the snap on illegal motion on Cook.

Quick wasnt wearing a yellow hat but they werent wearing pads either.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The more and more I watch Tavon I think confidence has a lot to do with it. He isn't absolutely confident of his route.

When he has the ball, absolute confidence. But when he is running a route he isn't confident in it - and that goes a long way in selling a route.
Can't wait to see him with my own eyes, in addition to what you others think. I hope he's improved in his route running, I really do. I also hope he knows what he's doing out there. I have given him quarter so far, as I did with quick...WR is a very hard position to learn in the NFL.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 begging for leniency:
I hate to spot pick, but in our first game, didn't Austin Davis throw for like 200 yards in the second half in relief of Hill? Then game #2, I bet he threw for over 250 yards and like 3 TD's. So to assume this type of early production....against well, I think 3 of our first 5 games are Seattle, Az, and GB...and I never thought/think GB plays tough D, but we always have trouble against them...Ever since Kurt left...
Now the second half of the season...I expect us to be BETTER than the Davis led offense...Sound better?
Better. But watch it in the future! :LOL:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Okay, here's the sobering question of the day. All we need is for the offense to be better than it was last year. We don't need it to be lights out. Just better than last year.

IS IT BETTER THAN LAST YEAR?
Who knows....they haven't played a down yet. :cautious:

Offense wise, perhaps not lights out, but a bit better than you suggest. This team averaged just 19 points a game while scoring only 19 points in its final 3 games.

"Just a bit better than last year" ain't gonna cut it.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/11: Getting Ready to Play
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-811-Getting-Ready-to-Play/cb0f4435-49b3-403e-89f4-02e5d2e6e90a

It was a cooler day in Earth City as the Rams finished off their slate of open training camp practices at Rams Park on Tuesday. And after the session, head coach Jeff Fisher said the players are looking forward to getting games started on Friday.

“They did a really good job the last three days,” Fisher said. “They know, obviously, tomorrow is the day off for them. We come back and we have a little walk-thru. Then we will prepare for the Raiders and go out there and play a ball game.”

With the preseason contests, two of the frequently asked questions for all four contests is who will play and how much? Fisher said the coaching staff is still going through the process of making those decisions, but the focus of the first game will be more on younger players striving to make an impression.

“When you look at the roster and you start looking at the 51st, 52nd, and 53rd player, so much of it has to do with their ability to contribute on special teams,” Fisher said. “We’re going to give guys opportunities to do some things and show us some things on special teams. But at the same time, [we’ll be] mindful of the fact that if they’re playing every snap on defense, and then going out and covering every kick, that’s hard.”

The head coach said he thinks the team has gotten better at every position thus far through camp, but specifically mentioned Nick Foles as a player who has made a major impact.

“Nick’s had a really good camp,” Fisher said. “I’m just really proud of him and happy that he’s here, so it will be fun to watch him play a little bit.”

While the quarterback likely won’t be on the field much, Fisher said that Foles will get some snaps in against the Raiders.

“I think you’d expect a couple of series, something like that, and then we’ll start making changes,” Fisher said. “We want to protect him. We don’t want to get him hit.”

With such a young group on the offensive line, players like Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown may see a bit more time than other members of the first unit. But the head coach said other younger linemen should be on the field more than the right tackle and right guard.

“We’ve got some younger guys that will probably play into the second half,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how much Rob and ‘JB’ will play beyond the other guys. I think you can expect to see them play three or four series.”

While the Rams’ next training camp practice will be with the Cowboys in Oxnard, Calif., Fisher has liked what he’s seen at Rams Park.

“It was a good camp overall so far,” Fisher said. “We still have a lot of work to do.”

MANNION’S DEBUT

One of the younger players who may get significant playing time is quarterback Sean Mannion. The rookie out of Oregon State said on Tuesday that he’s feeling pretty positive about his August.

“I feel like I’ve done a lot of good things so far in training camp,” Mannion said. “I just try to be accurate, just try to make good decisions with the ball. And I feel really comfortable in the offense.”

The signal-caller said his on-field comfort is in part a product of going through some of the processes before.

“I think the biggest difference is just it’s not my first time out here practicing with the guys,” Mannion said. “You kind of got that over with in OTAs. Come out here, hit the ground running, and now it feels like you’re just back playing football like normal.”

While he doesn’t quite yet know how much he’ll play, Mannion said he’s looking forward to getting on the field at the pro level.

“It’ll be exciting to get into a game atmosphere and get in there and just try to operate the offense, execute the plays the way they’re designed, and just have a chance to be out there as a team going against someone else for a change,” he said.

Speaking of Mannion, Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt of SiriusXM NFL were in attendance at camp today, and came away impressed with the Rams’ rookie QB.

.@Gil_Brandt & I impressed w/ @STLouisRams rookie QB @seanmannion4 at TC. Gil loves his accuracy & way Sean spins the football @SiriusXMNFL
— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) August 12, 2015

COVER MAN

Defensive end Robert Quinn will be on one of the four regional covers for Sports Illustrated’s annual fantasy football issue.

When you get the cover of Sports Illustrated...
Posted by St. Louis Rams on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The other three players featured on the covers are Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill, and Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch. Quinn’s cover will be delivered to SI subscribers in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan, per si.com.

But if you know anything about the Rams’ defensive line, having one of their own on the cover of a magazine will spur some razzing. And that’s exactly what RBN captured after Tuesday’s practice in the video below.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Can't wait to see him with my own eyes, in addition to what you others think. I hope he's improved in his route running, I really do. I also hope he knows what he's doing out there. I have given him quarter so far, as I did with quick...WR is a very hard position to learn in the NFL.
Im looking forward to your report, Doc!

RamBill

Legend
Rams fans make strong showing at practices; Foles won’t see much time vs. Raiders

By Norm Sanders

: http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article30805062.html#storylink=cpy

A crowd of just under 1,100 fans jammed Rams Park on Tuesday for what could be, at least in theory, the final public practice for the St. Louis Rams in St. Louis.

The rest of the training camp workouts are closed to the public and with rumors swirling of a potential move to Los Angeles, St. Louis is dealing with the unsettling proposition of finding itself without an NFL team for the second time since the 1988.

The former St. Louis Cardinals moved to Arizona following the 1987 season.

“The fans have always come out since I’ve been here,” Rams veteran linebacker James Laurinaitis said Tuesday. “We’ve had good showings here at Rams Park ever since I’ve been part of this organization.”

Throughout training camp, Rams players and coaches have been peppered with questions about a potential franchise shift to Cailfornia.

“It’s one of those things I can’t control, none of the guys in the locker room can control, so we really don’t talk about it and we don’t worry about it,” Laurinaitis said. “What we do want to do is start fast and get a lot of excitement going on in the city, get the dome packed and give them a football team that they can cheer for and root for.”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher also appreciated the support.

“We’ve had great crowds since we started camp,” Fisher said. “Unfortunately for our fans because of the circumstances where we’re going to be practicing out (in California) it kind of shuts down… I wouldn’t say shuts down, but it reduces the number of opportunities they have to come out and watch us.

“But it was great, great to have them out here today.”

Laurinaitis and his teammates haven’t experienced anything like the brief window of Rams success that included the Super Bowl win in the 1999 season, a Super Bown runner-up finish in 2001 and five playoff appearances from 1999 to 2004.

Things have stalled considerably since then. The Rams are 35-92-1 since 2007 with four seasons of three wins or fewer. In three seasons under Fisher they are 20-27-1.

Could the Edward Jones Dome become a tough place to play again and full of loud Rams fans? Laurinaitis believes it is possible.

“You hear the stories about ’99 and the early 2000s, how that place was the hardest place to play in the NFL,” he said, comparing atmosphere to the one every visiting team faces now in Seattle. “Heck, any time you see a false start at Seattle and they put it on their board about how many false starts...you still see the Edward Jones up there and think about the many years it hasn’t been that jam-packed.

“That’s all we can focus on, how can we get better as a team and get this city excited about the players and the coaches.”

Preparing for Oakland

Fisher said new Rams quarterback Nick Foles won’t see extensive playing time in the preseason opener Friday against the Oakland Raiders. No big shock there.

“I think you’d expect a couple of series, something like that, and then we’ll start making changes,” Fisher said. “We want to protect him. We don’t want to get him hit, get rid of the ball. (Raiders Head) Coach (Jack) Del Rio is a good football coach, a defensive guy, and he’s going to have them rolling off, so we just have to be smart offensively.”

The Rams practiced without shoulder pads Tuesday and have a scheduled day off Wednesday.

Fisher was asked about the possibility of rookie offensive linemen Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown seeing more playing time.

“We’ve got some younger guys that will probably play into the second half,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how much Rob and ‘JB’ will play beyond the other guys. I think you can expect to see them play three or four series.”

Rams Camp Notes

- Defensive end Chris Long (back tightness) had the day off Tuesday along with cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins, E.J. Gaines (foot) and Brandon McGee (foot) and rookie offensive lineman Cody Wichmann (calf). Cornerback Trumaine Johnson and running back Tre Mason (hamstring) returned to action while rookie running back Todd Gurley (ACL surgery) continues to take part in team drills while being held out of scrimmage situations.

- Among the visitors at Rams camp Tuesday were Blues coach Ken Hitchcock and assistant coaches Brad Shaw, Kirk Muller and trainer Ray Barile. Hitchcock said the Rams have an “old-school” coaching staff that comes from the Buddy Ryan family tree.

Alan

Legend
ramsince62 thinking we're far from hanging the moon:
"Just a bit better than last year" ain't gonna cut it.
I spent most of last year yelling at Fisher while watching the games on my computer. My refrain was the same every game, why are we playing Wells and Joseph instead of any of our backups? This year I won't be doing that so it's already going to be a big improvement from my perspective. Regardless of the outcome on the field, it's nice to know we're actually building for the future rather than just trying to hang on and make do. It's especially comforting to know that we're going to see improvement as the year goes on which is another thing we didn't have last year with the exception of GR.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He isn't absolutely confident of his route.
Kinda like, he still, STILL doesn't know what the hell he's supposed to do, correct? Confused I'd say.... Kinda lends itself to Dr Rams assessment he could have some sort of learning thingy going on...Me, I lean in the direction of, doesn't commit himself to learning the intricacies of the playbook (lazy???)...Did he stay in the Lou and work with Cig? Or Weinke? Does he stay late? Is he calling Davis, Sam, and now Nick for clarity? I look at Brian Quick, yes B.Q. and say if a guy who just started playing in HS and didn't have a playbook either, turn into a new player in his 3rd year....Tavon better do it too....Otherwise, I lean in the Givens direction....Pouting, as his role decreases, and not growing as a player...
Farr chatted with us today quite a bit. He is such a cool guy.
U---C---L---A!!!!!!
We were wishing out loud that they would work downfield more. Give us one...ONE...shot longer than 15 yards. Not too long after came a nice long shot to Marquez who made a nifty catch. He has looked quite good. There were a couple other longer shots as well after that.
Ask and you shall receive.....seek, and you shall find....Fisher has a plan...It's like a buddy of mine that I work with when a problem arises, to calm me he'll say, " This isn't my first rodeo...." ahjahahahahahahaha, LOL Foles naturally wants to throw downfield...but it's too much pressure in practice...games should, SHOULD be a bit different...Marquez possess elite speed, or is he a Danny A. type player that makes things happen?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wow, that stuff written by TheHammer was a tough read. Somehow, my gut tells me he's right. Oh brother, this is going to be hard to watch (again). Anyone who's been attending TC want to comment on Hammer's insights?

RamBill

Legend
Rams Training Camp: On-Site Practice Report, Aug. 11

By misone

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8/12/9141761/2015-st-louis-rams-training-camp-report

Here's the conclusions Misone has drawn from Rams practices through the first two weeks of camp...

In total, I got the chance to attend and observe three Rams practices and a scrimmage. Of course these practices were all in the first one-third portion of training camp, and with a month before the first game kicks off so much can change in that time.

But in the time spent at these practices, there are a few points that has consistently stood out each practice. Some good, and some not so good.
Practice Notes

Greg Robinson might be the most improved player on the team. He looks good out there. Albeit, with pads or no pads. Every day he has brought the ferocious athleticism that made him the number two overall pick. But most importantly he is playing fast and thinking less.

Foles has thrown a lot of interceptions. He has struggled most with throws to the sidelines and the intermediate to deep middle. Most of the the deeper throws have been overthrown. He has flashed some good throws as well though. These throws have mainly gone to Jared Cook and Stedman Bailey. He looks to have built the best connection with those guys.

Todd Gurley is huge. A legitimately big back. His knee however, doesn't appear to be ready as he still looks a little uncomfortable when running sprints and does not open stride as fluidly as he has gained a reputation for. With that said, he does seem to make some cuts better than others which is a good sign and says he's closer to a return than the Rams are leading on. The hurdles might be more mental than physical. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays week one and touches the ball about ten times
Rodger Saffold looks good. I have watched him stalemate Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers with ease. In fact I only seen him lose one battle and that was to Donald in the first practice I attended. Funny how when you fix your shoulder your level of play elevates.

Tavon Austin is going to be used a lot. For the first time since his arrival, I have seen Austin on the field more often than not regardless of personnel. As I said weeks ago, I am expecting a lot of screens and go routes out of Austin this season, and 70 total touches seems 100% feasible.

The secondary could steal the spotlight this season. They look like a completely different group. This will be a top 12 group this season. One interesting package has six defensive backs and four are safeties, with Mark Barron and Maurice Alexander playing in the box with two backers. But they never seem to sit still which so far has caused confusion. Gregg Williams meant it when he said he has a lot of packages and will get everyone involved. You can tell he really bust his ass this off season. This secondary is deep, locked, and loaded.

Lance Kendricks has not been talked about much but he does indeed look like he will be more involved this season. This leads me to believe there will be a lot of 12 personnel being used this season.

Back-up quarterback continues to be an issue. Case Keenum has been very shaky. Austin Davis has shined bright, but also lived in the dark, consistency remains an issue. Sean Mannion has made at least one jaw dropping throw every single practice. But he has made far more mistakes than good plays. This is expected for a thrid round rookie QB, but the last thing the Rams need is to have to turn to him at all this season.

Jamon Brown has looked pretty solid in one on one drills. He's been every bit as physical as he was said to be, and surprisingly has not been as easy to beat in pass protection as he was expected. He has gotten better in that regard each day. He'll be someone I watch closely in preseason games.

In all the chatter about Gurley and Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham has been somewhat of the forgotten man. However, he has looked like an improved player. He continues to out work players in the off-season and it shows in his consistent growth. Don't expect to see him out carry the aforementioned backs, but the idea that his role will drastically shrink may be extremely premature. He looks like someone the coaches will have a hard time keeping off the field on passing downs. 70-80 touches still seem very likely. he has caught everything and hasnot been beaten in pass pro in any of the practices I've attened. That can't be said about any other back. He also looks faster. He's another guy to keep an eye on.

No Names, Making Names

Keep an eye out for Bradley Marquez. Every single practice, I have seen him making plays. At only 5'10" 195lbs, he looks like a player that could have a future at either slot or out wide. He runs very good routes creating separation. He has made some very tough catches and shows a nice burst when accelerating for deep throws. He looks like a player that will make the practice squad but depending on how he plays in the preseason games he could push for a spot on the 53. Chris Givens has looked shaky and inconsistent. He should be looking over his shoulder.

Imoan Claiborne is almost certainly fighting for a spot on the practice squad as the defensive back depth chart is all but set in stone. But he may earn that spot on the practice squad if he can continue to grow. He has made a few splash plays and had some good break ups here and there. He has to make more of these plays more consistently, but he has showed up enough to warrant consideration.

Random Moment

I went for another shot at a Q&A with Dani Klupenger, unfortunately it did not come into fruition as she wasn't doing much reporting and/or interacting with anyone on this day, but just watching and chilling. Looks like I took the permanent L, sorry guys.

Athos

Legend
Wow, that stuff written by TheHammer was a tough read. Somehow, my gut tells me he's right. Oh brother, this is going to be hard to watch (again). Anyone who's been attending TC want to comment on Hammer's insights?

I read some of it too and I have to say.....he's gone off the deep end into one depressed mofo. Seriously. I think he easily gives himself high blood pressure because I can smell his cankerous pessimism from however many miles away he is from me.

Granted, I only skimmed one thread, but he didn't have a single positive thing to say.....at all.

I think he looks for ALL the bad.

It's sad really. He used to be better. Now he just seems like a sad, sad, bitter individual. Apparently not even RamsTALK likes him anymore. That's hard to do.

------

Anyway, thanks for the report fellas!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I read some of it too and I have to say.....he's gone off the deep end into one depressed mofo. Seriously. I think he easily gives himself high blood pressure because I can smell his cankerous pessimism from however many miles away he is from me.

Granted, I only skimmed one thread, but he didn't have a single positive thing to say.....at all.

It's sad really. He used to be better. Now he just seems like a sad, sad, bitter individual. Apparently not even RamsTALK likes him anymore. That's hard to do.

------

Yes, I really hope he is wrong. But I am concerned.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc

------

I don't see it that way Athos. Hammer brings a ton to the table. I agree that his take is not as positive as some other posters, but it is hard to argue with his gripes. Anyway, I like the guy and respect the heck out of his opinion. I do disagree with him though, I think the Rams take a big step forward this year.

Athos

Legend
I don't see it that way Athos. Hammer brings a ton to the table. I agree that his take is not as positive as some other posters, but it is hard to argue with his gripes. Anyway, I like the guy and respect the heck out of his opinion. I do disagree with him though, I think the Rams take a big step forward this year.

Eh. Maybe.....but reading his convoluted pessimism of the defense OF ALL THINGS, just screams like a guy who doesn't even really care anymore or takes pleasure in noting everything he doesn't like about anything. I mean......we basically said we were a defense of TWO, and everyone else, from what I read, were just "guys."

Maybe he's different in person, but as a forum-goer, he sure as fuck isn't the pleasant sort.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
but reading his convoluted pessimism of the defense OF ALL THINGS, just screams like a guy who doesn't even really care anymore or takes pleasure in noting everything he doesn't like about anything. I mean......we basically said we were a defense of TWO, and everyone else, from what I read, were just "guys."
yeah, this was quite bizarre.

And his reference to GW as an ego-maniac just running blitzes all day long was also disconcerting.

Given that I'm not there, it's really hard to know. I really really hope I can make the Raiders preseason game.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Could you pm me a link Stranger?

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really nice weather today. Great way to wrap up the STL open camps.

I don't agree with his insights. Come Friday, we will all start to get glimpses.