Official Training Camp Thread - Day 11!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm disappointed if these reports reflect where Tavon is at. I've asked this before, with no response. Does anyone think that Tavon may have a learning disability?

I'll add, work ethic problem? I guy his size, should have no problem stopping on a dime. I played WR, RB, and CB.

I think this is possible. He scored low on the Wonderlic, which doesn't mean anything but he scored a 7 and I think you can score a 10 if you are literate, apparently had a LOT of difficult grasping the playbook and apparently still has problems with it. But every time I see him in an interview, I don't think he's not smart or anything. He's an intelligent enough guy even if he's not well spoken. I think a learning disability would make a lot of sense.

Nothing has led me to believe has work ethic issues though. Fish, Cignetti, Sherman, everybody has said the guy has a terrific work ethic. Why he hasn't improved is a tough question to answer, but I'm sure he's working hard.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm disappointed if these reports reflect where Tavon is at. I've asked this before, with no response. Does anyone think that Tavon may have a learning disability?
I'll go medical with you Dr...you know it's never good to go diagnosing guys without a lic. So I'll put that out there...1) You imply that he can't learn the plays, or forget what he's learned...Just by continuous reps, he should get an offense by year 3....That is, what his assignment should be..I think that damn westcoast offense is a sight adjustment type thing...which requires fast thinking...I just don't think, and I could be wrong, he's not a hard study habit/film room guy...Once he said the playbook looked like spanish, I said uh-oh....trouble....All that stutter-stepping...who does that AFTER being told to get up field? And I know a coach has told him to get what you can, then get down...get all the yards then get down...Do you think he listened, or doesn't remember the conversation? Guy has been blessed with ability for years...this is his first level ever of struggling..So he has to develop work habits that he NEVER had to use before....Do I think Ike Bruce can save him? Hell yeah...Does he want what rev. Ike wants to teach? Does he WANT to work in the slot???? Is he scared of contact??????

WestCoastRam

Legend
Okay, here's the sobering question of the day. All we need is for the offense to be better than it was last year. We don't need it to be lights out. Just better than last year.

IS IT BETTER THAN LAST YEAR?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'll go medical with you Dr...you know it's never good to go diagnosing guys without a lic. So I'll put that out there...1) You imply that he can't learn the plays, or forget what he's learned...Just by continuous reps, he should get an offense by year 3....That is, what his assignment should be..I think that damn westcoast offense is a sight adjustment type thing...which requires fast thinking...I just don't think, and I could be wrong, he's not a hard study habit/film room guy...Once he said the playbook looked like spanish, I said uh-oh....trouble....All that stutter-stepping...who does that AFTER being told to get up field? And I know a coach has told him to get what you can, then get down...get all the yards then get down...Do you think he listened, or doesn't remember the conversation? Guy has been blessed with ability for years...this is his first level ever of struggling..So he has to develop work habits that he NEVER had to use before....Do I think Ike Bruce can save him? Hell yeah...Does he want what rev. Ike wants to teach? Does he WANT to work in the slot???? Is he scared of contact??????
Yeah, and I wasn't really diagnosing him, that isn't fair, but wanted to know others thoughts on him. You are right, he should be getting it by now. I really don't get it. Good response. And I've thought, worried about a lot of those other things.

V3

Hall of Fame

I'll add, work ethic problem? I guy his size, should have no problem stopping on a dime. I played WR, RB, and CB.
I responded to you. I think it's very possible. If a guy scores a 7 on the wonderlic(Tavon did), there's something going on there. It's actually hard to do that poorly. He's either not smart at all or has a learning disability. Either scenario isn't good but you'd think they might be able to find a way around it if it was just a learning disability.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I responded to you. I think it's very possible. If a guy scores a 7 on the wonderlic(Tavon did), there's something going on there. It's actually hard to do that poorly. He's either not smart at all or has a learning disability. Either scenario isn't good but you'd think they might be able to find a way around it if it was just a learning disability.
If you did before, I missed it, sorry.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
IS IT BETTER THAN LAST YEAR?[/QUOTE]

I could say yes I believe it is......but in truth we will not know until the 3rd preseason game..... but don't get down on this team or its players until they give you reason to........ ;)

Go Rams...............;)

V3

Hall of Fame
Man, the last couple practices the offense has sounded "underwhelming" a bit. Anyone else get that feeling?
Felt all training camp seemed that way. I don't like it. Not many people standing out other than the usuals on D and a couple on O like GRob and Quick.

I have to agree with the tweeter: I have no idea what to expect from this team.

WestCoastRam

Legend
In some ways, the offense sounds a lot like last years, whenever they faced a top 10 defense (like ours) they could barely move the ball. I'm not asking them to be world beaters - just please be a little better than last year!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah, and I wasn't really diagnosing him, that isn't fair, but wanted to know others thoughts on him. You are right, he should be getting it by now. I really don't get it. Good response. And I've thought, worried about a lot of those other things.
Here ya go Doc....Now take it with a grain of salt, until we see it...channeling my inner Hammer

On the WR's

• When it comes to wide receivers in the NFL, there are many who focus more on the individuals than a team’s group as a whole. And that should not the case with the 2015 Rams.

“They are a unit,” wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said. “Nobody cares about who’s No. 1, who’s No. 2 -- they don’t get caught up in that. All they know is whoever is in the ball game, whoever is in practice, you’ve got to do your job. And that’s the bottom line.”

“It doesn’t matter if you’re Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Stedman [Bailey], Tavon [Austin] -- it’s not, hey, we throw you the ball every single time and you’re our cover boy for Madden,” general manager Les Snead said recently. “It’s execute your role, be really good at it, whether it’s your day to catch balls … or open it up for other people. And [if you] do that, the offense will be better.”

The four receivers Snead mentioned make up the core of the wide receivers group, and each will be looking to take a significant step forward this year. That starts with chemistry and cohesion between the players, a factor which Bailey called important.

“We’re looking to do very big things this year, and it starts in our room,” Bailey said. “Just [having] everybody on the same page, coming out here each and every day, working hard, pushing one another, and just putting it all together on Sundays.”

Having Nick Foles as the team’s quarterback should help with that mission, as he’s been connecting well with each of his receivers so far.

“On the field and off the field, Nick’s always the same and he’s often a voice out there,” Britt said. “He comes in with a smile and a positive attitude each and every day. And that’s someone I want to play with every snap.”

Heading into his seventh NFL season, Britt is the undisputed leader of the group. He finished first on the team with 748 yards receiving in 2014, and set a new career high with 48 receptions. After signing a new two-year contract as an unrestricted free agent in March, Britt is plenty motivated to make sure he has nothing left in the tank at the end of the season.

“I want to take another step in everything I do,” Britt said. “Make sure I prepare right, make sure I perform in practice, on the field, especially on Sundays, and also in the classroom.”

According to Sherman, Britt’s work ethic rubs off on the players around him.

“He gives you all he has in each and every practice,” Sherman said. “Sometimes he can be a little sore and he pushes through. And other guys see that and so they say, hey, it’s warm out here, Kenny’s a little sore [but] he’s pushing through. So we’ve got to go out here and push through. So he really sets it by not only talking about it as an example, when he’s out on the field preparing.”

While Quick has noted Britt’s positive affect on the group many times, the wideout from Appalachian State has also made a remarkable recovery from a season-ending shoulder injury he suffered last October.

“I was devastated,” Quick said. “First because I had never been injured, never been able to not get up and at least walk off the field by myself. And then, just I feel like I let my team down and the organization, and my coaches. It was just a bad feeling.”

But after attacking his rehab, Quick has exceeded expectations. Head coach Jeff Fisher recently said he expects the wideout to play in the preseason and be productive.

“What a blessing to have him back because of what happened last year and all the time that he’s missed,” Sherman said of Quick. “Now we’re ramping his reps up where he’s getting more reps and he’s getting better and better each and every day. So I’m very excited about him.”

There’s also reason to be fired up about the Rams’ two third-year West Virginia products, Austin and Bailey.

“Tavon is doing great -- very impressed with him,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said, praising Austin’s work ethic. “When you watch him out here he’s becoming an outstanding route runner. From his releases, top of the route, his revolutions, [he’s] getting tremendous separation.”

“It’s a point of emphasis to get everybody open,” Cignetti added. “But Tavon, because he has a certain skill set, there are certain things you would like to do with him to him into a position to get touches.”

As for Bailey, the former third-round pick said that he gained a lot out of training in South Florida with Hall of Famer Chris Carter during the offseason.

“I met him when I was coming up in high school,” Bailey said. “His son, Duron Carter, we played against each other. And he noticed that I had some talent a long time ago and kind of took me under his wing. So it’s great, learning from a guy like him.”

With this group of players looking to step up, Sherman said the most significant way they can impact the offense is by making plays at each opportunity.

“The bottom line is, whatever route is called, you make sure that you’re aware of where you’re supposed to be, so that the quarterback will have confidence that he can get the ball to you in that spot,” Sherman said. “And with Nick Foles, you can get that football at any time. It doesn’t matter what the route is. So we talk about those things, and they’re trying to do that now.”

With some strong preparation and a little luck, this year’s crop of wideouts should be a formidable unit.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 being a Negative Nellie:
Everything is new to Foles...plus3/5 of the 0-Line....I'ma go out on a limb and say, not yet....
I think the Rams are going to saw off that limb. :)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the Rams are going to saw off that limb. :)
I hate to spot pick, but in our first game, didn't Austin Davis throw for like 200 yards in the second half in relief of Hill? Then game #2, I bet he threw for over 250 yards and like 3 TD's. So to assume this type of early production....against well, I think 3 of our first 5 games are Seattle, Az, and GB...and I never thought/think GB plays tough D, but we always have trouble against them...Ever since Kurt left...
Now the second half of the season...I expect us to be BETTER than the Davis led offense...Sound better?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

The more and more I watch Tavon I think confidence has a lot to do with it. He isn't absolutely confident of his route.

When he has the ball, absolute confidence. But when he is running a route he isn't confident in it - and that goes a long way in selling a route.