Official Training Camp Thread - Day 10!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This whole Robinson weight thing is silly. Maybe for the average LT this would be a big deal. But Greg Robinson is not the average LT. He is faster and stronger than like 98% of tackles. He will be fine. No one is going to throw that guy around. Tyron Smith is a perfect example, except Robinson might be even freakier. Smith has ZERO problems at the same weight Robinson is at.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A Few Random Observations:

It is interesting the different perspectives people have. While most of us have expressed excitement at Grobs new body, Hammer raised a concern that Robinson has lost too much weight. People see different things when it comes to Havenstein as well. We will see soon see I suppose.

CM, I certainly don't want you paraphrasing others but I'd be really curious to know what you think about Havenstein. The impression I get is that he looks good run blocking but struggles as a pass blocker and is gonna need some support from the TE's and backs. I'm actually wondering if he's a downgrade from Barksdale.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Where is this "secret" post whence only a few speak of, and less can read? You have my interests piqued now....C'mon...sharing is caring!!!!
@CanRamFan send me one too....
Hehe I don't think it's secret but maybe hard to find? Can do a search for author name "thehammer" there. Hard to sift thru all the idiots there however, and I certainly don't want that stuff spilling over here, that's why I never go there any more. But in his specific posts, I didn't see much other than overall disappointment that the current camp reminds him of some bad Spags era camp, with the offense in particular lacking tempo and any focus on a viable passing game.

That's obviously depressing... I've voiced my concern before that the Cignetti hire could cut either way: one is Cignetti is similar to McCarthy in GB and crafts an offense that's "west coast" mostly in name only but instead evolved to stay ahead of the times; two is the big fear, that Cignetti goes back too far to west coast basics because Fisher is trying to resurrect Marty Ball, and the Rams run twice before throwing a 2-yard completion on 3rd and 3. I keep reading from the great camp reports by members here that the Rams are dumping passes to the flats over and over, so I'm a little scared.

But with Gregg Williams running amok with his mad scientist defense I can't possibly see how the offense can attack downfield, it's designed to force offenses to go to the flat. Maybe it would be nice if there was some time against a generic scout D that allows the offense to actually work on things without two blitzers in Foles' face every play..!

I personally enjoy reading all sides of things, whether positive or negative, as long as it's analysis and not just screaming or insults, so some balance against the media's mostly raving reviews is good in my opinion. Just because everything said isn't all rosy isn't going to sour my personal excitement, I can't wait until Friday.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@CanRamFan I would like to read the link also.
It is a shame we cant have a thread or at least a link to all of coach o's hammers and anyone else's camp reports that the members are interested in here somewhere maybe with a disclaimer or something.

I think a lot of the concern about our team comes from the offensive side of the ball where we are very young and inexperienced on the OL. we have injury issues at RB T mason. I pead and Gurley on the shelf or seeing limited action. This coupled with a run first philosophy does not bode well for our Friday skirmish with the Rayduh's. Long term I am not at camp but establishing the run did not work out so well at the beginning of the year in the previous season so we will have to wait and see. I am certainly concerned about the reports we are getting about our passing game but again I will have to wait and see. In all there is reason for concern especially when we have not had acceptable results over the last several years although that may also be the great motivator for what may be unreasonable pessimism by some even though in the end we are all fans displaying our passion as independent beings. GL to the guys on Friday. no injuries and continued improvement.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
CM, I certainly don't want you paraphrasing others but I'd be really curious to know what you think about Havenstein. The impression I get is that he looks good run blocking but struggles as a pass blocker and is gonna need some support from the TE's and backs. I'm actually wondering if he's a downgrade from Barksdale.
But isn't that really the same thing we were seeing from Joe Barksdale all along?

The way I see it, Havenstein at least can provide some upside in that he may eventually pass block well, but the truth is probably closer to neither of them being exceptional pass blockers.

I guess I just never had the love for Barksdale that others share on here. To me, his potential to be a downgrade from Barksdale has much more to do with his inexperience.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hehe I don't think it's secret but maybe hard to find? Can do a search for author name "thehammer" there.
LOL, naw it was under something like "3 day recap of Camp, and he was commenting on others reports of practice with what he saw....Say bullcrap this, defense that, bad coaches this, too much blitzing that...he's too skinny, he's still like this, those two are a ...and are going downhill....I actually get what he's trying to say...Do I agree? Well, I gotta see some games, but I also know, new offenses will take time...Cig needs time...so does Foles...so does this line...it's called continuity...and I'm sure Fisher knows this...

Another thing, people keep knocking the quick pass offense, the check down...not me...pressure requires a response...and soon enough you can catch someone jumping a route and BAM!!! Deep pass up the seam...

He also said he was the only one that didn't like Wells...I probably didn't know who Wells was...I knew if the Packers let him go it could be bad...but as soon as I saw Wells, I didn't like him...He actually played alright...But that injury bug...didn't he come to camp late the first few years?

fancents86

Starter
Is it possible they're not focusing on deep balls is bc the o line is so fresh? They may want to find ways to gain yardage with runs and small (I hate to say it) dink and dunk passes to ensure Foles isn't sitting back for too long?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I mean seriously, GRob at 315 lbs is too light? Based on what? With comparing him at that size to the rest of the LTs in the NFL, how does that even begin to make sense? Seriously? We're not talking about Jacob Bell at 285 lbs here, and we're certainly not talking about someone who would have trouble putting weight on if he felt that was best for his game.

I'm sure hammer's a nice guy in person, but all that statement shows is that he's in the state of mind right now where he'll take pretty much any info right now and try to twist it into a negative.

Chiming in on the GRob 315 conversation, he *looks* considerably lighter. Of course I worry about whether he'll still have the power he needs. I worry more about whether he can keep up with speed rushers. I paid close attention whenever he went up against Quinn. GRob was beaten most times, inside, outside... Had to grab him at least once. Of course there is no shame in getting beaten by Quinn when left on an island, sorta inevitable really. GRob looked much better lining up against Sims.

Until I just looked at tweet, I didn't realize just how big Gurley's legs are...Wow !!!!!

He's a big boy, no doubt. Didn't see him without a shirt or anything, but he seemed a bit soft to me, esp compared to Mason who is compact and ripped, walks around without his shirt all the time. A bit of softness is to be expected in Gurley I suppose after coming back from ACL. But like Fish says, no need to hurry him back. If we do see him pre-season, should not expect the world class track star that he was at GA.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This was the highlight for me of the practice. Tavon caught the ball maybe no more than 5 yards off the LoS and turned on the afterburners to the right endzone pylon. McLeod gave chase for a second or so, but nobody was catching Tavon. Crazy explosive speed from #1.

I think part of the tough thing is that we didn't see much success with crossers due to many teams playing us zone. Tavon's greatest success in Indy was against man where they couldn't keep up with him an crossers or natural picks set him free. That's where Cook on a streak/seam can be so dangerous. If they're playing zone, there's a chance that crossers won't be as available but an accurate, gun-slinging QB could hit a guy running down the field on a seam.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with his take:
Another thing, people keep knocking the quick pass offense, the check down...not me...pressure requires a response...and soon enough you can catch someone jumping a route and BAM!!! Deep pass up the seam...
That's something you see when they know you're going to check down all the time too isn't it? I'm not sure of all the reasons why others are complaining about all the check downs and predominance of quick passes but for me it's not the short passes/checkdowns per se, it's the lack of a good mix that is frightening. Or potentially so. With all the traffic close to the LOS it's much easier to get intercepted especially when they know it's coming. Even when completed those 3 yard passes on 3rd and 4 haven't worked that well for us in the past.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Give me his 4 games and I will report. I've been rewatching a lot of Rams games the past few weeks.

I'm through the first two games. Against Tampa he didn't do too much, just some punt coverage. One play he beat his man and drew a holding penalty against the receiving team.

I just finished watching the first seahawk Ram game:
- Came in when J.J. got hurt in the 2nd
- Took a diving tackle and missed Turbin
-Had some flat coverage matched on Marshawn and looked good
- 3rd quarter tackled on a screen - nice play!