Official Rams@Ravens Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone you care to name? :sneaky:
You might have met him... :LOL:

I have no regrets over Fisher being hired as head coach by the Rams. He got us to the next level. Keep in mind the shambles the Rams were in when he got hired. But now it's time to move on and get someone who can get us over the hump and into the playoffs on a regular basis.
I always have regrets when it takes a long time to figure out we went down the wrong path.

See, to me, it's looking like four (maybe five) wasted years with Fisher. I don't see things getting any better the rest of the year. Next year? Ouch.

Linehan and Spags wasted six years of our lives... Fisher has wasted four.

It doesn't matter so much to me the "degree of waste"... waste is waste (defined as not making the playoffs).

Yeah, the first could pf years under Fisher "felt" better... but the past few weeks? Feels too much like Linehan and Spags.

The luster has come off the "respectable" ornament for me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You might have met him... :LOL:

Shall I look in the mirror?

See, to me, it's looking like four (maybe five) wasted years with Fisher.

Nah, that would mean we'd be exactly the same team that Linehan/Spags left behind which is not true. Yeah, we're still finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but there are good players in place; Gurley and Donald being the most obvious. Those are building blocks that can help us get over the hump with the right leadership.

As others here have mentioned, this type of system allows for few mistakes. When you score only 14 to 17 points per game, the defense and special teams have to be flawless. If one of those two parts of the team underperforms, we lose. Mike Martz didn't care about interceptions because that Rams team scored points in bunches and could be behind and come back late in games and still win.

This is what's killing Fisher's Rams. Rookies and young players, who normally make lots of mistakes, are a bad fit for a system that requires flawless execution. This was doomed to fail.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shall I look in the mirror?
No, unless you remember something I don't. ;)

Nah, that would mean we'd be exactly the same team that Linehan/Spags left behind which is not true.
Well, like I said, my definition of wasted is not making the playoffs.

Doesn't really matter today... feeling pretty down, like a lot of Rams fan are.

If Fisher isn't gone, then a very competent OC needs to be found and given the freedom to call the plays... .just not seeing that with Fisher.

One week at a time now... I suppose anything can happen.

BadCompany

Rookie
This is what's killing Fisher's Rams. Rookies and young players, who normally make lots of mistakes, are a bad fit for a system that requires flawless execution. This was doomed to fail.

If the system was doomed to failure because of its very nature then what does that say about the system and more importantly the people who thought it was a recipe for success?

The defense is good, but there is just no excuse for the offense, in my opinion. Fisher has a 2, an 8, a 10, and a 33 in his offensive lineup. He had a 1st overall at QB and he traded him for a QB that he apparently wanted and while we can argue about the necessity of making that trade it was still his to make and make it he did. How many teams would love to have those picks and trade assets to build an offense?? Nevermind building just the offense, some teams would love to have all those picks just to build their team! He has had the assets to build at the very least a mediocre offense and instead we have a historically bad one. Historically bad. At this point we shouldn't have to rely on a system that requires perfection just to be average.

What a disaster.

A55VA6

Legend
Anyone you care to name? :sneaky:

I have no regrets over Fisher being hired as head coach by the Rams. He got us to the next level. Keep in mind the shambles the Rams were in when he got hired. But now it's time to move on and get someone who can get us over the hump and into the playoffs on a regular basis.
I agree. Fisher (and Snead) have done a decent job filling the roster with promising young players, but I feel like he's just a stepping stone in our hunt for the playoffs. I think he's helped us get closer, but he won't get us there.

I'm kind of hoping if we do make a HC change, we get an offensive mind. Go get a QB, and build this offense around Todd Gurley.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If the system was doomed to failure because of its very nature then what does that say about the system and more importantly the people who thought it was a recipe for success?

They had good intentions? :) That's about the only good thing to be said about that. :baghead:

If Fisher isn't gone, then a very competent OC needs to be found and given the freedom to call the plays... .just not seeing that with Fisher.

Agreed.

I feel like he's just a stepping stone in our hunt for the playoffs. I think he's helped us get closer, but he won't get us there.

Most likely and unfortunately true.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm kind of hoping if we do make a HC change, we get an offensive mind.

In theory, if the Rams did hire an offensive minded head coach and either kept Williams (or found a successful DC with NFL experience), we'd be all set.

The defense is already very, very good (although the last two games has me a tad concerned).

Just get that offense humming and we are a force, right?

But, if they were to fire Fisher and bring in an offensive minded HC (Hue or Gase, for example)... that guy might have to start over...
Yeah, some parts might fit his system and he'd likely work on trying to put who the Rams have in the best place to succeed... but that will take time and more changes.

Meanwhile, contracts are coming due on that defense and there will be defections.

I worry that the timing might go in the opposite direction:
Offense gets better, defense deteriorates

I'm gonna drink tonight!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does any kicker get more kicks block than the Leg?

If we're counting FGs and PATs, no. Graham Gano is tied with Greg with two blocked FGs and a bunch of kickers are tied with Greg with 1 blocked PAT.

What doesn't make sense to me is Greg getting blocked often relative to other kickers. He doesn't typically kick the ball low due to his leg so it makes me wonder if it's our blocking up front or there's something else causing it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
"WoodsideRam said:
Typical Fisher game. He’s just not a very good head coach. He’s basically what he is. Average. The big issue with this team is we have dumb players. And I mean dumb. And these are Fisher’s players. His free agents. His draft picks."

Man, I was just thinking that exact same thing! i also remembered Jimmy Johnson saying to some of his coaching friends that "they should just hit him in the head with a hammer if he ever drafted a stupid player again!" He said that he learned that lesson early on and that he started winning consistently after he started taking only smart guys for his teams.

We obviously do not have enough smart players!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
"WoodsideRam said:
Typical Fisher game. He’s just not a very good head coach. He’s basically what he is. Average. The big issue with this team is we have dumb players. And I mean dumb. And these are Fisher’s players. His free agents. His draft picks."

Man, I was just thinking that exact same thing! i also remembered Jimmy Johnson saying to some of his coaching friends that "they should just hit him in the head with a hammer if he ever drafted a stupid player again!" He said that he learned that lesson early on and that he started winning consistently after he started taking only smart guys for his teams.

Reading JJ's quote there made me think of this for some reason. Kinda freaky to watch really.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle

Agree 1000%

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Spagnolian.

That's my new word.

Example: Today's loss to the Ravens was positively Spagnolian.

It's not a new word but "shambolic" is also fitting. The word means "chaotic, disorganized, or mismanaged."

"WoodsideRam said:

Don't know about that theory of dumb players. Ryan Fitzpatrick is known as one of the smartest players in the NFL and he didn't help us much when he was with the Rams. There's IQ dumb and then there's football dumb.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/07/20/10-smartest-nfl-players-in-2014/

The 15 Smartest NFL Players in 2014

By RantSports Staff on July 20, 2014

While there is still the stereotype of the dumb football player, many NFL players have managed to prove their intellectual might. Through the Wonderlic test, some stars have shown genius-level intellects and, while that doesn't necessarily translate to success, it's never a bad thing. When it comes to brain power, these are the players who stand above all others.

15. Toby Gerhart

USATSI_8180688_149008644_lowres.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Let’s make this short and sweet: Toby Gerhart scored a 30 on the Wonderlic and he also went to Stanford. Pretty impressive.

14. Blaine Gabbert

USATSI_7930061_149008644_lowres.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Blaine Gabbert scored a 42 on the Wonderlic. According to our calculations, that is really freaking high. Unfortunately, he has not seen a great amount of success on the field.

13. Russell Wilson

USATSI_8381296_149008644_lowres.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Russell Wilson may not be at Tom Brady's status, but the decisions he makes on a football field proves how smart he is. Plus, a 28 on the Wonderlic isn’t too shabby. Needless to say, Wilson’s brain gives him one heck of an edge out on the football field.

12. Drew Brees

USATSI_8295836_149008644_lowres.jpg

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Yet another brilliant quarterback. A 28 Wonderlic score isn’t the best ever, but Brees has still managed to have an amazing career regardless. What this man does to opposing defenses is out of this world. Although that can be credited to so many different things, his brain definitely comes into the equation.

11. Tom Brady

USATSI_8369363_149008644_lowres.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Tom Brady is one of the best quarterbacks of all time. What this man has done on the football field is complete genius. For what it’s worth, he also scored a 33 on the Wonderlic.

10. Aaron Rodgers

Aaron-Rodgers-Green-Bay-Packers3.jpg

Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports

As expected, quarterbacks are typically some of the smartest players in the league, and Rodgers is no exception. On the Wonderlic, he scored a 35 (out of 50), which is well above the quarterback average of 24 (according to a study by Best Masters Degrees). In addition to his book smarts, Rodgers has shown excellent judgement both on and off the field, further solidifying his place amongst the league's brightest stars.

9. Andrew Luck

Andrew-Luck-Indianapolis-Colts3.jpg

Mark L. Baer-USA TODAY Sports

It shouldn't be a surprise that Luck is one of the smarter guys in the league, considering how quickly he developed. He scored a 37 on the Wonderlic and has a degree from Stanford University in Architectural Design. He adapted quickly as a rookie, proving that his intellect extends from the classroom to the football field.

8. Calvin Johnson

Clavin-Johnson-Detroit-Lions.jpg

Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

While the trend suggests that quarterbacks are getting smarter, the opposite seems true for wide receivers. The average Wonderlic score for a receiver is 17, which is the equivalent to that of a security worker (according to the Best Masters Degrees survey), but Johnson is the big exception. He scored a 41 on the test, and there may not be a receiver with a higher football IQ.

7. Bryan Walters

Bryan-Walters-Seattle-Seahawks.jpg

Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports

If you've never heard of Walters, you're not alone. He's a little-known receiver for Seattle, whose playing time has been limited and sporadic. The important thing about Walters is that he's seriously smart. As a senior at Cornell, he was elected to the Sphinx Head Society, one of the oldest and most respected college societies.

6. Nick Mangold

Nick-Mangold-New-York-Jets.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Centers have long been considered some of the smarter guys in the huddle. Mangold may be the smartest center in the game, as he scored a 35 on the Wonderlic (ten points higher than the average center) which is higher than the average systems analyst (32). Mangold has never been known for his dominating physical ability, but he understands the game better than most and uses that knowledge to his advantage.

5. Desmond Bryant

Desmond-Bryant-Cleveland-Browns.jpg

Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Yes, he got arrested, but smart has never been synonymous with perfect. Bryant was awarded an academic scholarship to attend Harvard. As expected, players from Harvard tend to be some of the smartest out there, but he was only the 29th from the school to make it to the NFL.

4. Peyton Manning

Peyton-Manning-Denver-Broncos1.jpg

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

This may come as a surprise, but Peyton Manning did not blow anyone away on the Wonderlic. He scored a slightly-above-average 28. To put that in perspective, Eli Manning scored a 39 and Ryan Leaf scored a 27. It's his game planning and football IQ that make Peyton Manning one of the smartest guys in the league, not his book smarts.

3. Alex Smith

Alex-Smith-Kansas-City-Cheifs.jpg

Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

Before his last season in San Francisco, fans might be surprised to hear that Smith is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the league. But since his turnaround, it makes sense. He scored a 42 on the Wonderlic and has shown tremendous decision-making skills as the starter for the Kansas City Chiefs. He doesn't make mistakes on the field, which is a result of his sky-high IQ.

2. Benjamin Watson

Benjamin-Watson-New-Orleans-Saints.jpg

Mark L. Baer-USA TODAY Sports

Watson's heyday may be long gone, but that doesn't mean his brain function has diminished at all. He scored a 48 on the Wonderlic (the average for a tight end is 22) and is rumored to have an IQ of 172. He began his college career at Duke before transferring to Georgia and was a Finance major. It's scary to think about a monstrously-sized business genius.

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick

Ryan-Fitzpatrick-Tennessee-Titans.jpg

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

With his 48 Wonderlic score, Fitzpatrick is one of the smartest quarterbacks in history. As an Economics major at Harvard, he was the 2004 MVP of the Ivy League. He also managed to score nearly perfect on the SAT with a 1580. His intellect hasn't translated to much football success yet, but a smart quarterback is never a bad thing.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
There's average and then there is just plain dumb. Like less that ten on the Wonderlic dumb. No one is saying that having a genius IQ is necessary to be successful in the NFL but being close to an idiot is definitely a problem.
You know, like having trouble learning the playbook and not being smart enough to make adjustments in your route when the QB is signaling for you to do so, or trying to get by on your athletic abilities when you missing your assignments and are getting beat like a drum week after week.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's average and then there is just plain dumb. Like less that ten on the Wonderlic dumb. No one is saying that having a genius IQ is necessary to be successful in the NFL but being close to an idiot is definitely a problem.
You know, like having trouble learning the playbook and not being smart enough to make adjustments in your route when the QB is signaling for you to do so, or trying to get by on your athletic abilities when you missing your assignments and are getting beat like a drum week after week.
Yup.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In case you haven't read this thread, it deals with the complexities of learning a weekly game plan. It's not as easy as I thought it was.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...nstallation-of-a-game-plan.41482/#post-667041
Point well taken!

But, over a period of time, most players adapt and learn how to absorb/process the game plans.

It's concerning when, after three years, a player is still struggling... especially when we are told the OC has simplified the play book.

Maybe I'm being too demanding... ;)

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else upset at no play action called on one of their last drives where they were trying to run out clock? Even lining up on shotgun. Not taking advantage of the threat of Gurley at all. Not to mention they didn't do any roll outs to take advantage of Keenum's mobility.
it was almost as bad as the ohio state play calling vs. the michigan state university.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
These are supposed to be 24 hour threads.

No mas ventilos.

Status
Not open for further replies.