OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mangold hasn't played a full season in three years. He just turned 33 and we've seen what happens signing guys that age with injury pasts. He only played 8 games last year. I'm very hesitant signing him when there are so many good centers in the draft this year and probably better options in FA.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Mangold hasn't played a full season in three years. He just turned 33 and we've seen what happens signing guys that age with injury pasts. He only played 8 games last year. I'm very hesitant signing him when there are so many good centers in the draft this year and probably better options in FA.
Didn't realize he missed so much time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm also in the group that wouldn't mind if McVay and his staff agree to cut bait with these players to free up room to get available UFA's

OL Rodger Saffold $6,190,983 2017 cap hit
Morning fellow Floridian ROD'er! Help me out with your thoughts here if you have some time. McVay & Aaron Kromer have only one legit starting caliber left OT on the team, who just happens to be Rodger Saffold. RS has over 45 starts in the NFL @ OT his performance @ LT is far better than his body of work as starting LG or RG. If an expert or even a non expert like me was to study RS overall body of work @ LT in comparison to the 3 seasons of GRob the analyses would be clear as a bright February day in Florida. Saffold is by far the most effective LT.

No one has posted more or longer or as detailed on Saffold's injuries than me if you doubt me just ROD's search my posts & Saffold injuries.

It appears to me that most member's who desire to part ways of our only legit LT candidate Rodger Saffold are either #1-True solid believers of 3 yr veteran GRob & the pending magic pixy dust that will soon be sprinkled over GRob by Aaron Kromer. Or #2- Have faith that a LT can be found in UFA'cy or through the draft. Of course I think both of the above is costly & a very big gamble with Goff's blind side & with salary cap funds.

I would go down the lonely road in the direction of having Saffold trim down his 335 plus pound frame down to his earlier younger yrs when he was a starting @ LT in college & his first couple of NFL seasons in the NFL to somewhere around 315 lbs to gain some quickness back . Advise RS early as possible that the plan is for him will return to starting LT post. The fact is for an NFL team to pay a veteran starting LT 6 million for a season is a bargain by todays standards.

Kromer will also has some other under contract LT prospects that the same alleged pixy dust used on GRob is sure to do the same if used on a healthy now entering his third Training Camp Darrell Williams, now entering his third season 4th round selection OT Andrew Donnal who is rehabbing from off season surgery & 2nd yr Pace Murphy.

Darrell Williams was used exclusively @ RT in 2016 TC & Pre season but reinjured his the same wrist that placed him on the IR in 2015. DW's performance @ Right OT in 2016 was horrible. In 2015 DW played the opposite side Left OT in his rookie season in TC & pre season. It was DW's play @ LT earned him a roster spot in 2015. I would used DW exclusively @ LT in 2017 & see how he does. Interim HC Fassell also had good praise for UDFA rookie OT Pace Murphy who saw good amount of late season action @ OT when Havenstein was unable to play.

In Andrew Donnal's first 2 seasons, he has played @ four OL posts. In 2016 he started four games @ RG & saw plenty of action is all 16 games. AD also played more than 3 quarters @ LT in the 2016 Saints game when GRob was benched for his first time & fact is Donnal held up better than RT Havenstein. AD's 2016 season was very successful, he began the season as a probable release & no better than the 11th Ram OL. By mid season his positive performance moved him up the reserve charts to the important 6th Ram OL'er & ended up his 2nd season as the starter @ RG the last four games.

Saffold was the Rams starting LT as a rookie when he was awarded the best starting rookie LT. Saffold was our starting LT for 3 seasons ( 2010/2011/2012) & was the starting RT post in 2013 before moving to OG in 2014. Fact is RS has been our reserve LT since he moved away from the LT post. During 2014/2015 & 2016) Saffold has filled & performed in the LT post when needed. His limited play @ LT during those times was better than GRob's. There is a reason for that;). Its a Myth that RS is injured evry time he plays LT. Its also a myth that RS is injured more while playing LT than other OL post.

To summarize here with a few very $$$ expensive UFA LT options available when FA'cy begins. When you dig deep the list gets extremely thinner when you look at the UFA LT injury histories & advanced aged signing prospects. I would love for someone to give me a name of a UFA LT prospect that they would consider over Saffold who has performed better than Saffold @ LT & would sign in LA & would cost less? I am waiting........

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It appears to me that most member's who desire to part ways of our only legit LT candidate Rodger Saffold are either #1-True solid believers of 3 yr veteran GRob & the pending magic pixy dust that will soon be sprinkled over GRob by Aaron Kromer. Or #2- Have faith that a LT can be found in UFA'cy or through the draft. Of course I think both of the above is costly & a very big gamble with Goff's blind side & with salary cap funds.

Or #3 realize that Saffold isn't that good of a LT and would rather not see him rolling around on the ground hurt on the second play from scrimmage anymore. Most of us don't see the logic in moving on from a failed LT by revisiting a guy who failed at LT before him. Move forward not backwards to repeat mistakes.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
(Posted in a wrong thread, my bad!)

Josh Gordon News:

"Suspended WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement on Wednesday."

Adam Schefter
2 hrs·
Facebook Mentions
·
This is what Josh Gordon's business manager Michael Johnson said about client and decision to apply for reinstatement: "Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL. He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him. He's also in the best shape of his life and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

I don't care what the self-appointed NFL/Josh Gordon gurus think (even though he's one of my favorite players and I know more history about him than pretty much anyone here), he's coming back, not with the Browns, but with a new team at a low cost/high reward type of scenario. The League was set to welcome him back last year, instead he made the personal and mature decision to step away and get himself treatment. Now that he's jumped through the hoops to better himself and put himself in a better standing with the league, he's in a MUCH better position to come in and stay in the NFL.

Teams are already starting to show interest.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team. If not, we've protected ourselves via the contract we set up.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
(Posted in a wrong thread, my bad!)

Josh Gordon News:

"Suspended WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement on Wednesday."

Adam Schefter
2 hrs·
Facebook Mentions
·
This is what Josh Gordon's business manager Michael Johnson said about client and decision to apply for reinstatement: "Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL. He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him. He's also in the best shape of his life and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

I don't care what the self-appointed NFL/Josh Gordon gurus think (even though he's one of my favorite players and I know more history about him than pretty much anyone here), he's coming back, not with the Browns, but with a new team at a low cost/high reward type of scenario. The League was set to welcome him back last year, instead he made the personal and mature decision to step away and get himself treatment. Now that he's jumped through the hoops to better himself and put himself in a better standing with the league, he's in a MUCH better position to come in and stay in the NFL.

Teams are already starting to show interest.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team. If not, we've protected ourselves via the contract we set up.

But if the Rams can get him cheap, so can most teams in the league..I'm not sure LA would be a real wise choice for him till he's been clean for quite awhile...Head on straight, I'd love to see him a Ram...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think the free agency market could do a 180 for the Rams if McVay and Phillips work some magic over the next 2 years..The combination of LA, that great stadium and a competitive football team would help to draw FAs with things other than just being grossly over paid...The Rams then might be able to improve this team without bankrupting it...Quality in FA at a reasonable price feeds on itself and means a better product on the field...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
But if the Rams can get him cheap, so can most teams in the league..I'm not sure LA would be a real wise choice for him till he's been clean for quite awhile...Head on straight, I'd love to see him a Ram...

Yeah, he will be a cheap grab regardless due to his off field behavior. Everything from here out will be "We are signing you to get your foot through the door again." Can't ask for much just play your game and prove you can stay clean. Would be a good addition but then yet it is up to him to stay out of trouble.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Wonder if Kayvon Webster is in the team's plans with the money they dished out to Tru and not really able to go after another big name cb

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow I loved reading the comments in here....Welp, after the Tru signing...we probably only make one more major splash...
That's why I'm not sweating the ILB spot. Personally, I think Barron
Are you convinced Barron can play effectively at LB for another season?
You seem upset that someone would question his ability in this new system, but fans also question whether Hayes, Brockers, Quinn, & Barron will fare well, ... it's not out of the ordinary to seek answers where changes of responsibility occur, there will be adjustments and hopefully it all goes smoothly. You yourself gave credit to whomever was responsible for certain Denver ILB moves, stating ; 'If you look at Denver, they've treated their ILBs as replaceable', ... no reason why we fans can't do the same, especially when the Ogletree/Barron CAP hit comes in at near $19.3 mil.
Wow, that's alot of cheddar. I think every Denver ILB was later than the 5th round...

I feel that both Barron & Tree will excel.
Again, not sure about another season with Barron @ ILB....We'll soon see....

Again, great debate gentlemen!!!! Continue

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I honestly think that Phillips will put the football players that are on our defense in places to succeed. Barron is a football player.

I am one of those that could see him being traded, however I would like him to stay. I'd love to see him in a Wade defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Who are your top 2 centers in the draft ?? I don't believe The Rams can go with a rookie center, unless they bring in a very kick butt veteran O'lineman.
Mangold might not be the best fit , but for the short term they need an upgrade from Tim Barnes. I did really enjoy watching Barnes in the second half of 2015 season , he & the O'line regressed so much last season. That was the biggest disappointment of the 2016 season , because you would have thought all those guys would have improved. Can't believe they actually got worse . Sign Of Horrible Coaching !!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow I loved reading the comments in here....Welp, after the Tru signing...we probably only make one more major splash...

Are you convinced Barron can play effectively at LB for another season?
Wow, that's alot of cheddar. I think every Denver ILB was later than the 5th round...

Again, not sure about another season with Barron @ ILB....We'll soon see....

Again, great debate gentlemen!!!! Continue
Barry & Wade seem to like him. Those are the guys he needs to convince .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I honestly think that Phillips will put the football players that are on our defense in places to succeed. Barron is a football player.

I am one of those that could see him being traded, however I would like him to stay. I'd love to see him in a Wade defense.

I agree with your E-value , but honestly
don't think he will bring back True a trade
Value

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Yeah, and being this will be Ogletree's 'contract' year as a 5'th year option, his CAP hit for 2018 will even be higher, ... that's considering we can hang on to him thru free agency. Point being, that $19+mil. in cheddar is likely closer to $21mil in 2018, ... for 3-4 ILB's ?
Being so much CAP has been invested in Tru Johnson for 2017, i'd be surprised to see Barron traded or CAP cut while eating his $4.mil in dead money, so i'm more apt to see Ogletree as trade bait than most any other player for the Rams if we want the CAP space to invest elsewhere on the roster. Most consider 'Tree' as an untouchable, although I don't. For the record, I would have never 'tagged' Tru again, but I still value him higher than 'Tree' with this new defense. I happen to believe in a year where there is so much CB talent available in the draft, we would be better off investing CAP money at LOLB or the OL, and think we can make due with what depth we have at ILB, perhaps adding a draftee or a lower cost veteran free agent.
While I doubt Saffold becomes a CAP casualty, Kendrick's may now have moved up to that possible position, although just maybe the McSnead duo have decided to take the slow route and see what they have before bigger change in 2018.
For a team with such extreme need for improvement on the offense, increasing the defense to offense wage gap is bad timing, ... now at 56% defensive to 41% offensive spending with the Johnson re-sign. jmo.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Morning fellow Floridian ROD'er! Help me out with your thoughts here if you have some time. McVay & Aaron Kromer have only one legit starting caliber left OT on the team, who just happens to be Rodger Saffold. No one has posted more or longer or as detailed on Saffold's injuries than me if you doubt me just ROD's search my posts & Saffold injuries.

Well Bonifay..... I agree that cutting Saffold for the sake of only getting more salary cap space to invest in UFA's is not a bright move... I didn't think I had to elaborate but the short story is.....

I'm on board with cutting Saffold if the new regime thinks they're able to upgrade the O-Line using the money they get by releasing him. I'm quite aware that Saffold is the best LT on the team as of today but his injury history and being another year older is risky business going into 2017.

Again.... Only if they have an intelligent plan that upgrades the O-Line, do I think the Rams should cut Rodger. The money added to the salary pool could be a big chip on the table needed to (overpay) UFA's at the Offensive Line position. I believe if they cut Saffold they likely would need to sign 2 UFA's at the O-Line position, unless they were to able to get the #1 ranked LT candidate available in the free market.

The question is, what UFA (LT) candidates are better than injury prone Saffold? I have faith the new regime will evaluate this O-Line accurately and if cutting Saffold happens to be part of their plan, I'm all for it.

Airgoff

UDFA
Name
Airgoff
Good question, i'm gonna guess that Wade has already drawn up a short list of potential defensive free agents he might like to study further. Same with watching film of potential draftees he likes. I imagine he'll take a very close look at teams like Cleveland which are transitioning back to a base 4/3 to see if there are some 3/4 guys that fit his system for possible trades, and probably a few of his own guys playing elsewhere that he might like to have back with him. The Rams have a lot of free agents of their own, so it's quite likely the team is going to look very different, and that's without adapting any new specialty Phillips scheme players which may or may not be introduced. After its all said and done following free agency and the draft, Wade will work his magic on transforming our remaining vets to fit his vision. Whether he takes a quick or slow approach, using more free agents or relying on future drafts for the re-build, only time will tell.
While its been discussed some, I believe the Rams may want to work quick if they want to enter their shiny new stadium in 2019 as the clear local favorites over the Chargers. Not all fans are die hards like us ROD fans, if we are losing and the Chargers are play-off bound, we'll get our nose rubbed in it. I've gotta believe that Kroenke gave McVay a mandate to turn things around by our Inglewood opening, so lets get on with it. jmo.
I agree!!!!!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree with your E-value , but honestlyI agree with your E-value , but honestly
don't think he will bring back True trade value.