Official Rams FA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
Rabid Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:
We did some moves when we had more room last year. Most of the key moves are still with us - no? Not sure how many other moves we had in us. KD even said we wouldn't be huge in the FA market. So.... Not terribly concerned. Don't think we're done but...

We can't be done in FA. There are still too many holes to fill. A Safety with experience is a must and an OT sure would be nice. You can't count on starting rookies at both Safeties, OT, OLB, and possibly WR.

Our owner and entire front office anf coaching staff are all adamant about building through the draft.
They know it could take time but they believe its the best course of action.
I think they are spot on!

Of course they are spot on but the Rams won't win if they don't stop gap some positions through FA. They have the cap space to get one more difference maker like they did with Cook. OL or S are the most important in my eyes right now for them to fill instead of relying on rookies. Odds are a rookie Safety will be starting this year, you really don't need two! The OL needs to be solid. This cannot be a year where the Rams have a makeshift OL or Bradford will be spent in a hurry. It doesn't have to be Long. A serviceable ROT would do the trick and draft one also. The worst thing to do would be to overpay Long and he not produce.

Sorry man but I'm going to disagree with you to a point here. We're not done in FA. But we need to be patient. We will pick up those supporting role players still. The keys to our franchise will come through the draft. Long may come or he may not. There are a buttload of FAs that can still be had. Do they have the potential impact of Jake? Probably not. But they could pull in a few good but not great FAs, have a good draft, and then be bigger players in the '14 draft/FA when we could realistically be SB contenders - AND - long term contenders for years.

I'm in.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamFan503 said:
Ramhusker said:
Rabid Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:
We did some moves when we had more room last year. Most of the key moves are still with us - no? Not sure how many other moves we had in us. KD even said we wouldn't be huge in the FA market. So.... Not terribly concerned. Don't think we're done but...

We can't be done in FA. There are still too many holes to fill. A Safety with experience is a must and an OT sure would be nice. You can't count on starting rookies at both Safeties, OT, OLB, and possibly WR.

Our owner and entire front office anf coaching staff are all adamant about building through the draft.

Of course they are spot on but the Rams won't win if they don't stop gap some positions through FA. They have the cap space to get one more difference maker like they did with Cook. OL or S are the most important in my eyes right now for them to fill instead of relying on rookies. Odds are a rookie Safety will be starting this year, you really don't need two! The OL needs to be solid. This cannot be a year where the Rams have a makeshift OL or Bradford will be spent in a hurry. It doesn't have to be Long. A serviceable ROT would do the trick and draft one also. The worst thing to do would be to overpay Long and he not produce.

Sorry man but I'm going to disagree with you to a point here. We're not done in FA. But we need to be patient. We will pick up those supporting role players still. The keys to our franchise will come through the draft. Long may come or he may not. There are a buttload of FAs that can still be had. Do they have the potential impact of Jake? Probably not. But they could pull in a few good but not great FAs, have a good draft, and then be bigger players in the '14 draft/FA when we could realistically be SB contenders - AND - long term contenders for years.

I'm in.

I will have to agree to disagree. Almost all successful teams build around the draft and wait around in free agency till a role player can be had for cheap. Fisher and the front office have the right idea in my opinion. Yes we may not be contenders or even in the playoffs next year but watch what happens the year after that and going forward. We draft quality players since there,home grown they are bought in and ready to shine abd we only get stronger,from there.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamFan503 said:
Ramhusker said:
Rabid Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:

I'm in.

excatly couldnt have said it better myself probly didnt lol

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, 2 out of 3 so far in FA. Who's next, or are we done in FA?

Anyone know how much cap space we have left after Jake's $36M deal?

A55VA6

Legend
interference said:

I think like $5M... basically our draft money.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A55VA6 said:
interference said:

I thought we had about $13M to sign FAs with so I'm thinking about $4M left but I ALWAYS get confused with the cap number so.....................

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:
interference said:

I thought we had about $13M to sign FAs with so I'm thinking about $4M left but I ALWAYS get confused with the cap number so.....................
[tweet]313769408419987456[/tweet]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here are the Safeties still available in FA according to NFL.com: (UFAs that is)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A55VA6 said:
Some decent names on the list. Not sure if we have the cap though.

Yeah, looking at that list, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to try and resign Quintin Mikell for $3M if that is possible. And then I would draft a Safety early in the draft and one in the middle rounds. I think this draft class is deep enough at Safety to get a good quality one in the 3rd or 4th round.

duckhunter

Starter
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:

Yeah, looking at that list, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to try and resign Quintin Mikell for $3M if that is possible. And then I would draft a Safety early in the draft and one in the middle rounds. I think this draft class is deep enough at Safety to get a good quality one in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm all for two young turks from the peanut man in the draft.

Yeah, Yeah, now, hot nuts, hot nuts, you get it from the peanut man.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
duckhunter said:
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:

What in the fat fuck are you going on about? :lol:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
duckhunter said:
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:

You just keep getting stranget and stranger duck lol

duckhunter

Starter
The Dude said:
duckhunter said:
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:

What in the fat freak are you going on about? :lol:
Checked the weather forecast and another 6-9 inches of snow. Maybe I'm not persevering so well. Once it breaks and warms some, I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to start fishing daily.

Here's my sleeper in this year's draft, Duke Williams, SS, 6', 201. 3 year starter. 4.45 forty. Athletic as hell. Knock em out hitting. Covers so well many teams are thinking of moving him to CB. Blanketed Allen, Cal, first game of the season when he lined up in the slot. Needs work on his angles which is teachable. Track guy for a while. Got a in a few scrapes when younger so he's knocked down the board for that. Became a leader for the young guys around him this year. He'll go 4-7 but worth every bit of the risk.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
duckhunter said:
The Dude said:
duckhunter said:
Ramhusker said:
A55VA6 said:

What in the fat freak are you going on about? :lol:
Checked the weather forecast and another 6-9 inches of snow. Maybe I'm not persevering so well. Once it breaks and warms some, I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to start fishing daily.

Here's my sleeper in this year's draft, Duke Williams, SS, 6', 201. 3 year starter. 4.45 forty. Athletic as hell. Knock em out hitting. Covers so well many teams are thinking of moving him to CB. Blanketed Allen, Cal, first game of the season when he lined up in the slot. Needs work on his angles which is teachable. Track guy for a while. Got a in a few scrapes when younger so he's knocked down the board for that. Became a leader for the young guys around him this year. He'll go 4-7 but worth every bit of the risk.
I concur that he is a good player. I've mentioned him a few times, he hits like a truck.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ok, signing Williams for $2.75M and calling in Smith from Jax for a looksie, where does the $$ come from? At my last confusing interlude with cap space, I thought the Rams had $1M left. Assuming it would take that to sign Smith, where does the $2.75 come from? Is Harvey Dahl gone?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
Ok, signing Williams for $2.75M and calling in Smith from Jax for a looksie, where does the $$ come from? At my last confusing interlude with cap space, I thought the Rams had $1M left. Assuming it would take that to sign Smith, where does the $2.75 come from? Is Harvey Dahl gone?
I think H. Dahl will be cut, Williams may just have received his job.

F. Mulder

Starter
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
I don't think that's the case-at least yet. Williams was spotty at best last year while Dahl was solid. It would be a decent sized leap to just outright replace Dahl with Williams, someone else currently on the roster, or a draft pick, without having things settled. I still see this as Williams taking Turner's role as someone who could potentially play Tackle or Guard and has some experience.

However, IF they do go Guard in the 1st (or for me even into the early 3rd) I could see Dahl going. Obviously if they take a Guard in the 1st round I think Dahl is gone for sure. I could also see several 2nd/3rd round types with high grades maybe making him expendable as the Rams take the approach that they have several candidates who could start over Dahl and at a cheaper level.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
F. Mulder said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
I don't think that's the case-at least yet. Williams was spotty at best last year while Dahl was solid. It would be a decent sized leap to just outright replace Dahl with Williams, someone else currently on the roster, or a draft pick, without having things settled. I still see this as Williams taking Turner's role as someone who could potentially play Tackle or Guard and has some experience.

However, IF they do go Guard in the 1st (or for me even into the early 3rd) I could see Dahl going. Obviously if they take a Guard in the 1st round I think Dahl is gone for sure. I could also see several 2nd/3rd round types with high grades maybe making him expendable as the [hil]Rams take the approach that they have several candidates who could start over Dahl and at a cheaper level[/hil].
I think this is the real case. Signing Williams at the very least, IMO, will mean the doom of Dahl. I don't think Williams played well enough at tackle to even be the rotational guy, but we didn't have him very long. I remember when we originally picked up Williams, and Fisher said something to the effect that they had big plans for Williams. Starter, rotation, whatever, to me it all adds up the same. There's an excellent chance that we select a Guard, or a Tackle/Guard early, or even late.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
F. Mulder said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

However, IF they do go Guard in the 1st (or for me even into the early 3rd) I could see Dahl going. Obviously if they take a Guard in the 1st round I think Dahl is gone for sure. I could also see several 2nd/3rd round types with high grades maybe making him expendable as the [hil]Rams take the approach that they have several candidates who could start over Dahl and at a cheaper level[/hil].
I think this is the real case. Signing Williams at the very least, IMO, will mean the doom of Dahl. I don't think Williams played well enough at tackle to even be the rotational guy, but we didn't have him very long. I remember when we originally picked up Williams, and Fisher said something to the effect that they had big plans for Williams. Starter, rotation, whatever, to me it all adds up the same. There's an excellent chance that we select a Guard, or a Tackle/Guard early, or even late.

It makes sense if not an almost must do. The Rams are up against the cap. They probably feel that if Warmack or Cooper is there for them in the 1st, they could draft them and free up cap space while solidifying the line for the future by cutting Dahl loose. Risky? yes, but that's Fisher's and Snead's MO is it not? What is Dahl's cap #s?