Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never going to happen.
While Norv's system is similar to the one McVay wants to run, it is different.
And why would Norv even interview for a position where he WILL NOT call the plays?

I have to nitpick at this minor point, Rambitious (my apologies). Norv's systems isn't that similar to McVay's. Norv is an Air Coryell traditionalist. He runs a vertically-oriented Air Coryell designed around high-low reads.

McVay came up under the Grudens and Shanahans. He's a West Coast Offense disciple. That system is built around high percentage passes and a lot of low-high reads. I think McVay is a bit more vertically aggressive than a WCO traditionalist like Andy Reid, but he's still not running a system that resembles an Air Coryell.

Norv and McVay are like oil and water. Just not a good fit.

Last edited:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Hmm...Then why not hire him? He's not with another team, unless they are waiting to check with somebody else. IDK, maybe they will announce Kromer later today because the Rams are on the West Coast, where the sun sets.
Just guessing, but they may be doing a lot of background work on him due to "the incident".

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
beach-chairs.jpg

You Should've Stayed in your Beach CHAIR @dieterbrock :cool:

sharkattack.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kromer does not strike me as the type that would approve of these type of beach chairs, I believe they would look more like this:
960.jpg
Shoot, at this point, I'd punch 3 or 4 kids in the face for a really good OL/OC coach....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's one of the best WR Coaches in the game.

That is too bad a great WR Coach and always wanted to the Rams to hire him, maybe that is the position that Wes Phillips will oversee.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have to nitpick at this minor point, Rambitious (my apologies). Norv's systems isn't that similar to McVay's. Norv is an Air Coryell traditionalist. He runs a vertically-oriented Air Coryell designed around high-low reads.

McVay came up under the Grudens and Shanahans. He's a West Coast Offense disciple. That system is built around high percentage passes and a lot of low-high reads. I think McVay is a bit more vertically aggressive than a WCO traditionalist like Andy Reid, but he's still not running a system that resembles an Air Coryell.

Norv and McVay are like oil and water. Just not a good fit.
Not to mention the verbiage is waaayyy different

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll throw a name out for TE Coach, Terry Malone. Was fired from his OC job at Purdue. He was the Saints TE Coach from 2006 to 2014. I think we all know how good the Saints TE play was during that period of time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll throw a name out for TE Coach, Terry Malone. Was fired from his OC job at Purdue.

Well, if Wes Phillips is coming, he is going to have to coach something. Now again, I am under the assumption that the Redskins will allow Phillips to leave to coach with his Dad and I thought Phillips was going to be QB Coach, but right now, it might just be a lateral move and Phillips will coach tight ends or Phillips will be Offensive Coordinator and Aaron Kromer will be the Offensive Line/Running Game Coordinator. Who knows?

So far IMHO on defens, Wade Phillips is an upgrade and DL Coach Bill Johnson & LB Coach Joe Barry are a downgrades over Mike Waufle and former LB Coach Frank Bush, while the new DB Coaches Aubrey Pleasant & Samson Brown are a wash to Dennard Wilson & Brandon Fisher. Overall the unit should be better under Wade, but I hope they can add some others to that side that have had more success than Johnson & Barry.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Some people will blame Gurley's decline on him and his coaching but personally I think it was mostly the game plan and the horrible play by the OLine. It's easy to get caught up in wanting a splash at every coaching spot. Peete has done well in the past and there likely wasn't anybody else worth hiring out there. So while it's lackluster I think it's a decent guy to retain.