Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As for the OC position, do we want someone that is eventually going to call plays down the road? or is that not important right now? Do you think Sean intends on calling the plays for as long as he is the HC?

Not really, the QB Coach will do that, not the OC under this structure, which is very similar to Green Bay.

Zero

Pro Bowler
He's a rookie. I'm sure it'll get better with time. Drops will likely be a fact of life with him, but if he can get open consistently, nobody will care.
He may get better,but I had rather not have another receiver with "Quick" like hands.
My opinion is that unless he really shines on ST or he improves his hands tremendously,
he will not be on the 53.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He may get better,but I had rather not have another receiver with "Quick" like hands.
My opinion is that unless he really shines on ST or he improves his hands tremendously,
he will not be on the 53.

He already shines on STs. Again, I'd take Quick-like hands if the guy gets open consistently and is a more intelligent player than Quick.

Terrell Owens had Quick-like hands. I'd take that guy in his prime any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the Rams are better equipped to run the PBS, so this could end up being a very good thing.

I think we're equipped to run anything we want at this point. IMO, we're going to have to overhaul the OL anyways. The pieces that will most likely start next year fit either scheme. But I agree that it'll likely be easier for us to run a PBS. And I think it fits Todd Gurley's skill-set better.

A55VA6

Legend
Olson worked under Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay as QB Coach before Gruden stopped coaching. So there's a connection there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a problem with him being the QB coach really is there?

No, not at all and as an OC, he's had his ups and downs I believe he chose the Rams over the Bills because of the opportunity to work with McVay and a bird in hand, is worth two in the bush.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The guy has character concerns, but that's the Rams call to make. They have far more information than I do.

What I know about the guy is that he came up under Bill Callahan in the NFL (he was Callahan's OL Coach when Callahan was HC of the Raiders). If Bill Callahan wants you coaching his OLs, you're damn good at your job. After he left Callahan, his track record is outstanding.

Kromer became the Saints OL Coach in 2009. The Saints OL had zero first round picks. Four of the five starters were picked in the 4th or 5th rounds. The Saints OL had a combined zero Pro Bowls and zero All Pros at that point. Kromer coached the OL from 2009 to 2012 (4 years). In that time, the Saints OLs were selected to a combined 10 Pro Bowls and 5 All Pro teams.

He left the Saints to take the OC job with the Bears, whose OL improved leaps and bounds under Kromer (Kyle Long even made the Pro Bowl as a rookie). Following Trestman's firing, Kromer went to Buffalo. This year, in Buffalo, the Bills led the NFL with 2630 rushing yards, 29 rushing TDs, and 5.3 yards per carry (after leading the NFL in those categories in 2015 as well). Additionally, the Bills led the NFL in yards BEFORE contact on rushing plays.

Speaking strictly about football, he's one of the very best in the NFL at coaching OLs.

What's interesting to me is that Kromer runs a PBS. I've been uncertain whether McVay plans to run a PBS or ZBS with the Rams. If he hires Kromer, I'll have to assume that he plans to run a PBS.

Looks like our dream could be be happening, Add Greg Olson as QB coach what a freakin kick a$s start to the off season.. Get us 1-2 of the skins ws's Garćon &/or Djax for mid grade prices and focus on OL and signing or replace tru22

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, not at all and as an OC, he's had his ups and downs I believe he chose the Rams over the Bills because of the opportunity to work with McVay and a bird in hand, is worth two in the bush.
Took a lesser role to work with us and stay out of Buffalo :)

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Olson is a great hire as a QB coach. He has done a great job developing QBs recently starting the development for Carr and spearheading what will be Blake Bortels career year. Also lead the career year of Josh Freeman, making him look like a franchise QB. Steven Jackson broke scrimage yard records under him and Marc Bulger tore it up. This guy knows offense and he knows how to work with young QBs. The fact that we got him only as QB coach is a great get.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Think i'm now going to throw my hat in the ring for Green Bay OL coach James Campen for OC. "In eight of Campen’s nine seasons in his current position, the Packers have ranked in the top 10 in the league in scoring. Green Bay has finished in the top 10 in total offense in seven of those nine seasons".

Zero

Pro Bowler
He already shines on STs. Again, I'd take Quick-like hands if the guy gets open consistently and is a more intelligent player than Quick.

Terrell Owens had Quick-like hands. I'd take that guy in his prime any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
He has a lot of improvement to get Owens type hands,because what he has shown so
far in a Rams uniform falls short of even that.I haven't seen any proof that he has any
special ability to get open on a consistent basis.If he does improve that would be great,
however I have more faith in Cooper and Spruce at this point in time.
Especially Cooper.I have a feeling he will be wearing horns for quite a while.
What little we saw of him last year,he reeks football player.