Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not 1 play. He also had issues on special teams and in preseason.
He looks like the most natural runner on the field, though. Incredibly fluid.

He's a rookie. I'm sure it'll get better with time. Drops will likely be a fact of life with him, but if he can get open consistently, nobody will care.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's a rookie. I'm sure it'll get better with time. Drops will likely be a fact of life with him, but if he can get open consistently, nobody will care.
I like him a lot. I hope he can settle down and concentrate when the ball comes his way. He's definitely someone I would like to see get a shot for more playing time next season. If he could show he's dependable, he'd be a hard guy to beat out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is this still the latest?

HC: Sean McVay
Asst. HC / LBs: Joe Barry
OC:
QB:
OL:
RB:
WR:
TE:

ST: John Fassel

DC: Wade Philips
DL: Billy Johnson
LB:
CB:
S:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is this still the latest?

HC: Sean McVay
Asst. HC: Joe Barry
ST: John Fassel

DC: Wade Philips
DL: Billy Johnson
LB:Joe Barry
CB:
S:

I would put Joe Barry's Name in the LB Coach slot, but yes nothing new as of yet.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
When will we get more news?!?! I'm going crazy lol.

Projections based on interviews and assumptions: Although I hesitate to believe the Skins will just let us simply raid their coaching staff, I fully expect their qb coach, who's name slips my mind and someone McVay mentioned in his interview, to join us as OC and Wes Phillips to join us as maybe the TE coach or promoted to QB coach. I also expect Callahan to get a long look too. Now I know the last one may be a long shot, but his contract is up next year and Gruden's staff is seeing a lot of shuffling internally. I'm too lazy to look at this moment, but I'm curious if Skins have an assist. oline coach or an internal option somewhere else if Callahan jumps ship? Would love to see Callahan hired as oline coach and would've preferred if he was named assist. Head coach over Barry.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not 1 play. He also had issues on special teams and in preseason.
He looks like the most natural runner on the field, though. Incredibly fluid.

Your saying 5 years ??

I think he needs to be part of the depth on special teams ahead of Chase Reynolds

Can't wait for news on coaching staff. Did everyone go on vacation ?? Senior bowl & combine is goodtimes for coaches to get together.

Super Bowl weekend as well. During NCAA final fours the coaches get together that weekend.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
Meh, I wouldn't judge his hands off of one single play. Which I'd assume your doing, seeing as he only got 9 targets the entire season.
No actually I was basing off the fact he had more drops than
catches during the preseason and regular season and that he
struggled catching the ball in college(10.2 drop ratio)
You're welcome to assume,but that would make you wrong.

Ram65

Legend

If he keeps dropping the ball I will care. Drops like that long pass from Goff can deflate the team and young QB.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Callahan likely staying in DC

While the interview process for the Washington’s Redskins’ next defensive coordinator continues, most expect the team to promote from within to fill its offensive coordinator job, vacated last week when Sean McVay was named head coach of the Los Angeles Rams.

Speculation to date has centered on three position coaches: offensive line coach Bill Callahan, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and tight ends coach Wes Phillips, who may follow McVay and his father, Wade, to the Rams.

But in an interview on Tuesday, Callahan’s agent, Bob LaMonte, who also represents Redskins Coach Jay Gruden and McVay, along with numerous other NFL head coaches and coordinators, said that Callahan isn’t interested in the offensive coordinator’s job at this juncture of a 36-year coaching career.

“Bill has never been happier in his life,” LaMonte said of Callahan, 60, who has a wealth of experience, having served as an NFL head coach (Raiders, 2002-03), offensive coordinator and offensive line coach (Cowboys 2012-14), offensive coordinator (Raiders, 1998-2001), and collegiate head coach at Nebraska (2004-07).

“He loves working with Jay,” LaMonte continued. “It’s not that he’s dismissive of an opportunity to, at some point in time, become a coordinator. But at this time, he’s not interested because he’s enjoying the players he works with and enjoying working for Jay.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

While the interview process for the Washington’s Redskins’ next defensive coordinator continues, most expect the team to promote from within to fill its offensive coordinator job, vacated last week when Sean McVay was named head coach of the Los Angeles Rams.

Speculation to date has centered on three position coaches: offensive line coach Bill Callahan, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and tight ends coach Wes Phillips, who may follow McVay and his father, Wade, to the Rams.

But in an interview on Tuesday, Callahan’s agent, Bob LaMonte, who also represents Redskins Coach Jay Gruden and McVay, along with numerous other NFL head coaches and coordinators, said that Callahan isn’t interested in the offensive coordinator’s job at this juncture of a 36-year coaching career.

“Bill has never been happier in his life,” LaMonte said of Callahan, 60, who has a wealth of experience, having served as an NFL head coach (Raiders, 2002-03), offensive coordinator and offensive line coach (Cowboys 2012-14), offensive coordinator (Raiders, 1998-2001), and collegiate head coach at Nebraska (2004-07).

“He loves working with Jay,” LaMonte continued. “It’s not that he’s dismissive of an opportunity to, at some point in time, become a coordinator. But at this time, he’s not interested because he’s enjoying the players he works with and enjoying working for Jay.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Disappointed to hear this bc I want this guy real bad, but remember, the OC position here is simply title. He won't be calling plays, instead assisting McVay and fixing our Oline. Plus, MONEY TALKS!!! Kroenke will open his wallet and let it fly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

[www.washingtonpost.com]
So apparently nobody has contacted Washington to merely ask permission? That's interesting, although I have a feeling McVay and Gruden agreed that Sean wouldn't try it

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So apparently nobody has contacted Washington to merely ask permission? That's interesting, although I have a feeling McVay and Gruden agreed that Sean wouldn't try it

Or hey Sean you can have Wes, but I am keeping Bill.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As long as he represents this organization with class, I'm ok with it.

Jrry32 I think really like this guy once Rex got fired as the OL coach. I think he might be what the Dr. Ordered for the Rams wooz

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jrry32 I think really like this guy once Rex got fired as the OL coach. I think he might be what the Dr. Ordered for the Rams wooz

He had some previous issues, but let's hope that is all behind him because when it comes to the offensive line and the running game, the guy can flat out coach.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
As long as that bullshit about him punching kids and leaking shit to the media is over, I'm good with Kromer. Let's face it, we desperately need help with the offensive line, and Kromer is one of the best in the game in that regard. Have McVay help the QB and WRs, and Kromer will work on the OL and RBs. I think that's a recipe for great success.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for the OC position, do we want someone that is eventually going to call plays down the road? or is that not important right now? Do you think Sean intends on calling the plays for as long as he is the HC?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The guy has character concerns, but that's the Rams call to make. They have far more information than I do.

What I know about the guy is that he came up under Bill Callahan in the NFL (he was Callahan's OL Coach when Callahan was HC of the Raiders). If Bill Callahan wants you coaching his OLs, you're damn good at your job. After he left Callahan, his track record is outstanding.

Kromer became the Saints OL Coach in 2009. The Saints OL had zero first round picks. Four of the five starters were picked in the 4th or 5th rounds. The Saints OL had a combined zero Pro Bowls and zero All Pros at that point. Kromer coached the OL from 2009 to 2012 (4 years). In that time, the Saints OLs were selected to a combined 10 Pro Bowls and 5 All Pro teams.

He left the Saints to take the OC job with the Bears, whose OL improved leaps and bounds under Kromer (Kyle Long even made the Pro Bowl as a rookie). Following Trestman's firing, Kromer went to Buffalo. This year, in Buffalo, the Bills led the NFL with 2630 rushing yards, 29 rushing TDs, and 5.3 yards per carry (after leading the NFL in those categories in 2015 as well). Additionally, the Bills led the NFL in yards BEFORE contact on rushing plays.

Speaking strictly about football, he's one of the very best in the NFL at coaching OLs.

What's interesting to me is that Kromer runs a PBS. I've been uncertain whether McVay plans to run a PBS or ZBS with the Rams. If he hires Kromer, I'll have to assume that he plans to run a PBS.