Official Combine Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz and Goff clearly 1 and 2.
I think Dallas takes Wentz if he's there at 4 but not sure Goff fits.
Cajuste was pretty impressive today

Shawnbb158

Starter
Wentz and Goff clearly 1 and 2.
I think Dallas takes Wentz if he's there at 4 but not sure Goff fits.
Cajuste was pretty impressive today

I understand the thought behind Dallas needing a replacement for the oft injured 36 year old romo but I honestly can't see them spending #4 this year on a qb. 2nd round grabbing cook or hackenburg or someone in that range yes but I can't see them spending that high of a pick on someone that won't play this year or next bc Jerry is gonna ride Romo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at the Rams needs vs this draft a couple things stand out to me:

1. Moving up gets them their best opportunity to find their QB of the future.
2. WR depth ensures they can get one or two good additions even if they move a second round pick or both in order to move up.

Let's say they give up this year's 15 overall, next year's round 1, and both round 2s this year and move up to 4 overall to take Goff. WR is still in good hands with their round 3 or 4 picks, not to mention use of FA to bring in a vet. TE could also still be addressed. Rams could still enter this season with few questions and a QB of the future.

I know it doesn't make sense for Fisher in particular. But it is best for the Rams to move up and get QB settled once and for all.

Shawnbb158

Starter
On a side note does anyone think less of TE Hunter henrey for not doing any of the timed drills... Well he did the bench press for 13 reps...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What amazes me is how many people are listing Hackenburgh as a round 2 pick. The dude was bad. So bad. I wouldn't touch him prior to round 3, maybe 4.

Watch the Illinois game on draftbreakdown. That team had little pass rush and you see his accuracy and NFL passes. He was 7/7 on his first drive. Every game he would throw a couple of balls that had Announcers drooling. Then watch his Temple game. On the first drive he looks good, then they start blitzing and he looks like a mess. He is being called a second round pick because of the sweet throws he makes and much of his trouble is footwork issues, that can be fixed, plus the O'Brien connection. Trouble is, his pocket presence is terrible, and when he doesn't just panic and tries to make a play he usually isn't successful. I don't know if you can fix that, but some coach will try because of his IQ, and his arm, which didn't look good today but he can make up for in private workouts.

I wouldn't pick him before round 5 because of his pocket presence, and if his pro days are like this combine, I don't think anyone else will. But, I think he will have a better pro day throwing to his own crew.

RamBill

Legend
Rams give long look to quarterback prospects at combine
Feb. 27, 2016 Updated 10:19 p.m.
By RICH HAMMOND

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/quarterbacks-706084-rams-lynch.html

INDIANAPOLIS – The annual, comical debate over the hand size of quarterbacks commenced this past week and, once again, ended with the conclusion that everyone could properly grip and throw a football.

That’s good news for the Rams, who might draft one of these mysterious 10-fingered creations in a couple months. The issue isn’t hand size as much as whether those hands – and brain and heart – can be trusted, because after after three seasons of flux, the Rams would like some long-term stability at quarterback.

“I think getting consistency at that position is one thing,” Rams general manager Les Snead said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Finding good players is another.”

The options are plentiful. Nick Foles, Case Keenum and Sean Mannion are incumbents, but Coach Jeff Fisher has spoken bluntly about seeking an “upgrade.” A trade or free-agent acquisition is possible.

In fact, Fisher hinted that multiple quarterbacks could be on the way. It’s entirely possible that the Rams could sign or trade for a transitional quarterback for 2016 while they draft and develop his successor.

“There’s going to have to be a level of patience,” Snead said of drafting a quarterback. “You might go to the realistic scenario, and you find a guy who can bridge you and win games while maybe a young player is developing. That’s a realistic scenario. It’s nice to live in the ideal world sometimes, but it doesn’t happen.”

So what’s realistic? Start with the assumption that the presumed top two quarterbacks in the draft class, Cal’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, will be gone by the time the Rams pick at No. 15.

Assume Memphis’ Paxton Lynch is still available. Lynch is well-regarded but, of the top-tier quarterbacks, is presumed to be the least likely to become an immediate starter. If the Rams recognize the need for a “bridge” starter in 2016, are they willing to invest in Lynch, or take a more NFL-ready receiver at No. 15?

After days of tests, interviews and speculation, the top quarterback prospects finally got the chance to step on the field at the NFL Scouting Combine, and they didn’t disappoint Saturday.

Goff and Wentz appeared to have the strongest all-around performances while Lynch, at 6-foot-7 and 244 pounds, made strong throws and showed surprisingly good movement for a big quarterback.

The quarterbacks rotated and performed a variety of drills with the receiver prospects. They were tested on deep throws, out patterns, slant patterns and comebacks, but didn’t face any defenders.

Before the quarterbacks did throwing drills, they took part in the traditional running and jumping tests.

Wentz, at 6-5, 244 pounds, had a 40-yard dash time of 4.77 seconds, third-best among the 17 quarterbacks who participated. Goff (4.82) was 11th and Lynch (4.86) was 14th. Wentz and Lynch each recorded broad jumps of 118 inches, tied for second among quarterbacks.

USC’s Cody Kessler ran the 40 in 4.89 seconds, 15th among the 17 quarterbacks, and his broad jump of 104 inches ranked 16th, but Kessler is expected to be a late-round pick at best.

“There’s really no guy who's standing out right now,” Lynch said. “So any little edge you can get, whether it's throwing or agility or any of that stuff, you kind of want to take advantage of that.”

Lynch remains an intriguing option. He’s tall and athletic and had a strong senior season at Memphis, but struggled badly in a bowl game loss to Auburn and is inexperienced at taking snaps from under center.

“I’ve always relied on my athletic ability with my size and arm strength,” Lynch said, “but I know that’ll be a little different when I get to the NFL. Those guys are a lot faster, those windows are a lot smaller and those defenses do a lot more tricky stunts than they do in college. But I’m working hard. I’m training.”

Perhaps it’s a smokescreen, but when asked about quarterbacks this past week, Snead gave a lengthy statistic-based dissertation about how defense is arguably more important than an elite quarterback.

The implication seemed to be that the Rams could win by sticking with Keenum, who ended 2015 with a 3-1 record as starter (with the loss in overtime) when the Rams’ defense allowed only 70 points in four games.

If nothing else, though, the Rams will give long looks to the quarterback prospects, even if they end up drafting one who won’t get on the field in 2016.

“You can handle yourself in a rookie mini-camp and the OTAs,” Fisher said, “and you can handle your stuff in the third quarter or fourth quarter of a preseason game, because the talent level is probably not what it was in the first quarter. Then all of a sudden, when the lights come on, it’s hard.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's gonna be a looooong wait to April 28...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the thought behind Dallas needing a replacement for the oft injured 36 year old romo but I honestly can't see them spending #4 this year on a qb. 2nd round grabbing cook or hackenburg or someone in that range yes but I can't see them spending that high of a pick on someone that won't play this year or next bc Jerry is gonna ride Romo
It's like asking, "why would the Rams draft Todd Gurley in the 1st round when they could draft a TJ Yeldon or Amer Abdullah in the 2nd?"
I don't think Dallas is thinking QB
at #4 but I think if Carson Wentz is there they take him.
Dallas has no business drafting #4 overall, with a healthy Romo they would be drafting in the 20's. You don't get a shot at franchise QB often, and considering they had extra time to work with him, they know what they're getting

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked what I saw in Paxton Lynch at the combine..Very tall, yet athletic..Accurate longball...He is considered 3rd best QB in the draft by many, but I think we will still have to move up to get him. The Browns need a QB..Cowboys may need a QB for the future considering Romo needing surgery (and may miss time this year again, which comes with age and body wear), and the 49ers need an upgrade over Gabbert......If Lynch, Goff, and Wentz have great Pro Days, it might be too expensive to get any of them.....I sure hope we can get Lynch, dang it!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dang..I thought Paxton Lynch looked pretty d@mn good, myself.

nighttrain

Legend
It's like asking, "why would the Rams draft Todd Gurley in the 1st round when they could draft a TJ Yeldon or Amer Abdullah in the 2nd?"
I don't think Dallas is thinking QB
at #4 but I think if Carson Wentz is there they take him.
Dallas has no business drafting #4 overall, with a healthy Romo they would be drafting in the 20's. You don't get a shot at franchise QB often, and considering they had extra time to work with him, they know what they're getting
i'm afraid you called it right, gonna be a disappointing draft for me if we dont get a QB that can start from day 1
train

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Browns new coach went on record re: hand size due to weather and outdoor venues in that division. He does care about hand size.

I personally do not care about hand size. I love Goff as a prospect and would kill to see him slide to 15. So, yeah, I'd hope that they would be okay for the Rams.
I don't think either one makes it out of the top 10!! So I'm looking at Lynch! Especially after seeing him at the combine!

I'm not overly impressed with any WR I've seen at the combine, except for Treadwell I wouldn't take one in the 1st round!

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Watching the DE's intensely because the little Fisher voice in my head says " I'm taking best one @15"..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually liked what I saw out of Cody Kessler. I insist the Rams wont draft a QB past the 2 round, but also could see Fish getting the local kid in for some good publicity.(With a LATE round pick of course) Not that he's ever done something like that, right? What Michael Sam up to these days anyway....

tahoe

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually liked what I saw out of Cody Kessler. I insist the Rams wont draft a QB past the 2 round, but also could see Fish getting the local kid in for some good publicity.(With a LATE round pick of course) Not that he's ever done something like that, right? What Michael Sam up to these days anyway....
What would be the point of wasting a late round pick on a QB? Either you draft a starter or dontbdraft one at all. Ill be super pissed if they draft any defensive player in the first.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What would be the point of wasting a late round pick on a QB? Either you draft a starter or dontbdraft one at all. Ill be super pissed if they draft any defensive player in the first.
Tom Brady says hi.

Seriously though, one thing I actually liked about Devaney's philosophy was that he said you always take a shot at a QB in the draft. It may be a shot in the dark but sometimes those low round QBs end up being really good. I didn't get to watch much of the combine but I saw a couple QBs not named Goff, Wentz, or Lynch that looked pretty good. I like a comfortable thrower like I saw out of Wentz and Goff and I saw that in a couple others. Granted, this is an extremely small sample size but...