Official Combine Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Its seemed like every 40 tume has been slow this year. Maybe using a different timing device.
The running backs were really fast, as a group.

Will Fuller ran faster than a world class sprinter, and caught the ball well today.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Tron, they were all pretty slow. Hands looked pretty good though. Treadwell's hands looked like huge mitts.
Yea they were a slow group, but still, Wilson ran like a fast Tackle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Today's results really helped Treadwell out. He'll be the first wideout taken for sure now. Doctson definitely goes round 1 now with the 4.5 flat that looks a lot better after seeing the rest of those times. Boyd also is going to rise a bit I think, no way he'll slide to our round 2 pick range.

With the QBs I think Wentz is officially the top guy now. Only way you get him is by moving up to 1 ahead of the Browns who are going to take him otherwise. Lynch is going to be closer to Goff I think simply due to the combination of slight build and hand size knocks that Goff is going to have. For example it is possible Chip Kelly takes Lynch over Goff, but either way I don't see either of them getting past Philly so top 3 QBs will likely be gone by 15. If you want either of them you gotta decide to move up before SF. If you want a good chance at the one left over then obviously need to move up in front of Philly.

Rams are probably going to nuke Cook all the way back to kindergarten at this point I think...

Ram65

Legend
I like Will Fuller. He ran a 4.32 and made catches with his hands. He is 6 foot and 186 Lbs. He is a taller than Tavon Austin. Rams may be better served with a bigger #1 type like Laquon Treadwell. I just think Fuller is going to be a big play maker.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Ram65 Fuller's hands suck, way too much film of him dropping balls for me to like the guy. Rams need to get away from athletes with bad hands, IMO. Givens was fast too...

Ram65

Legend
@Ram65 Fuller's hands suck, way too much film of him dropping balls for me to like the guy. Rams need to get away from athletes with bad hands, IMO. Givens was fast too...

LOL I expected that exact response. May not be right for Rams but like I said he will be a big play maker.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL I expected that exact response. May not be right for Rams but like I said he will be a big play maker.

There's no doubt that if he can get his hands and catching ability sorted he'll be a big play guy in the NFL. Thing is coverages are better, tighter with much faster safety response, so he really needs to work on the catching ability and some team might get that out of him.

I just don't like the fit with the Rams because they have too many players who drop balls without making big strides in that regard. They need guys who fit when they come in, IMO. The guys like Treadwell, Doctson, Boyd, etc.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There's no doubt that if he can get his hands and catching ability sorted he'll be a big play guy in the NFL. Thing is coverages are better, tighter with much faster safety response, so he really needs to work on the catching ability and some team might get that out of him.

I just don't like the fit with the Rams because they have too many players who drop balls without making big strides in that regard. They need guys who fit when they come in, IMO. The guys like Treadwell, Doctson, Boyd, etc.
All those guys you mentioned had good days today, including Fuller, and to be fair, he's had some bad drops for sure. Looked like a different guy today.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My eyes are bleeding, and I'm starving!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm shocked Lynch timed so slow. I guess I was wrong about his speed. He looks so much faster on the field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm shocked Lynch timed so slow. I guess I was wrong about his speed. He looks so much faster on the field.
I thought he was a 4.75 guy, I was close. He showed his explosion, and athleticism though. Goff was faster than I thought, because you rarely see him take off, just quick in the pocket. Wentz was slower than I thought, but still Ok for a big guy. I watched every throw, catch, etc. today, and I didn't see anything that would change my mind about Goff, and Wentz being the top 2 guys. Completely different guys, but I liked what I saw. Allen had a solid day. Lynch showed how raw he was at times, but he was still very good. Cook looked disinterested at times, and Hackenberg was a little wild. Couple other guys looked OK, but nothing special.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he was a 4.75 guy, I was close. He showed his explosion, and athleticism though. Goff was faster than I thought, because you rarely see him take off, just quick in the pocket. Wentz was slower than I thought, but still Ok for a big guy. I watched every throw, catch, etc. today, and I didn't see anything that would change my mind about Goff, and Wentz being the top 2 guys. Completely different guys, but I liked what I saw. Allen had a solid day. Lynch showed how raw he was at times, but he was still very good. Cook looked disinterested at times, and Hackenberg was a little wild. Couple other guys looked OK, but nothing special.

From everything I read, Goff was lights out. Which isn't surprising to me. He's an outstanding thrower.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
From everything I read, Goff was lights out. Which isn't surprising to me. He's an outstanding thrower.
His footwork, his smooth release, his anticipation, and he had plenty of arm. His release is so fast it stands out. He didn't break a sweat. He's just a natural thrower of a football. That being said, Wentz was fantastic also, with his feet, his throws, and his big arm. They didn't disappoint. Clearly, the top 2.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My thoughts from today is that it solidified my thoughts of the top 3 qbs and then everyone else. I thought that Doctson, Boyd, Treadwell stood out in a good way. Cadjuste was a pleasant surprise, he is practically a move tight end in size but ran and caught the ball well. This tight end groud is really bad, the only two that will be any good looks like Henry and Vannett. The rams have to do whatever it takes to get one of the top 3 qbs or dont draft one at all. There are some smooth pass catchers in this draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My thoughts from today is that it solidified my thoughts of the top 3 qbs and then everyone else. I thought that Doctson, Boyd, Treadwell stood out in a good way. Cadjuste was a pleasant surprise, he is practically a move tight end in size but ran and caught the ball well. This tight end groud is really bad, the only two that will be any good looks like Henry and Vannett. The rams have to do whatever it takes to get one of the top 3 qbs or dont draft one at all. There are some smooth pass catchers in this draft.
I concur, but I thought, Hooper was OK, and Morgan II, slow, but plays fast, and has really good hands, could fit the Harkey role. Sandland has some strength, a little speed, and promise in the later rounds. I also like Krieger Coble, who wasn't invited. Duarte was great, but he's really just a slow receiver. He actually has really good long speed, and hands. Most of these are late round guys though. Hunter didn't look anything special, and didn't compete in any of the measurable drills. I thought that was a mistake.

At WR, those guys you listed, and Sharpe, and Shepard had good days, IMO.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Combine Recap: Saturday
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Daily-Combine-Recap-Saturday/d487ac4d-31ec-43a7-8575-34a6bfda3e62

INDIANAPOLIS -- The final day of media availability is also the day with the most on-field intrigue as quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends go through their workouts.

As you’d expect, some players had better days than others when it comes to those passing and catching. Let’s get to it in our final recap of the 2016 NFL Combine.

TOP STORIES

1) Goff, Wentz look like the top QBs

In my opinion, Jared Goff of Cal and Carson Wentz of NDSU both looked as advertised when they threw at the Combine on Saturday. While those two quarterbacks have been training together in Southern California, they were in separate throwing groups today. Goff was in the first, passing alongside other high-profile QBs like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg. And while Goff usually stands out, I thought he looked particularly accurate in these workouts.

Did Goff make every single throw? No. But he did look like the same talented quarterback he improved to be over the course of his career at Cal.

Wentz was the most polished quarterback at the Senior Bowl and he looked the same way in the second group of passers. One of the attributes that stands out the most for the NDSU product is his fluidity. He rarely looks like he’s thinking about the steps he needs to take in order to get off a successful throw. Does that mean he’s mastered the fundamentals? Not necessarily. But it does provide a good base to work off of.

Rounding out that “top three” quarterbacks list, Paxton Lynch had a decent day making his throws. He was not necessarily as accurate as Wentz or Goff, but his tools are apparent.

2) Disappointing day for Hackenberg

There’s a lot that goes into making passes at the Combine, and it’s not necessarily easy. But I think it was apparent to plenty that Penn State’s Hackenberg did not have a great day throwing the ball.

It seemed to start when the quarterbacks were just throwing out routes and many of them -- not just Hackenberg -- had trouble connecting with the receivers.

But for most of the signal-callers, performance improved from there. For Hackenberg, throws continued to be off target. Many passes sailed high, sometimes out of the reach of the receiver. And observers both here and on Twitter took notice.

"What you're seeing on the field is what you see on tape." -- @MovetheSticks on Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg's inaccuracy issues.

— CollegeFootball 24/7 (@NFL_CFB) February 27, 2016
For me, the order in which Hackenberg threw compounded the issue. He was often placed right after Goff, and the Cal product’s precision made the Penn State quarterback’s inaccuracy all the more apparent.

Look, this is just one day and by no means am I saying Hackenberg will not be a good pro because of it. But this could not have been what he had in mind when he woke up this morning, and I’d expect him to have a much better showing at his pro day to make up for it.

3) Run as fast as you can

There are 14 players from Ohio State at the Combine and throughout the week, media members asked the various players from the school who they thought would run the fastest 40. Invariably, they said Braxton Miller.

Well, that would not actually be the case. Through two attempts, Miller’s fastest time was 4.50. Running back Ezekiel Elliott cleared that yesterday with his 4.47.

The fastest time of the wideouts actually went to Notre Dame wide receiver Will Fuller. He ran a 4.32 40, which was one of only a few times that reached the 4.3 range. No one out of the wideouts was able to crack the 4.2 barrier.

Among the quarterbacks, Wentz was actually the fastest was one of the top performers, recording a 4.78 time, beating out Goff (4.82) and Lynch (4.87).

AROUND THE TWITTERVERSE

A few of my favorite Combine-related items from today...

Paxton Lynch 36” vertical jump.

Hello. (Cam Newton was just 35”)

— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) February 27, 2016
For a little background on this, Paxton Lynch said just prior to the Super Bowl that Cam Newton’s success makes Lynch look good as they’re both big guys at quarterback.

De'Runnya Wilson, a wide receiver, ran 4.90 on his first attempt.

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) February 27, 2016
Many times, anything above 4.6 is considered slow for a wide receiver. While these are just tenths of a second -- so, truly, everything is relative -- a 4.9 40 is really quite slow.

Man. #Buckeyes Cardale Jones injures hamstring in 40, out of the rest of the day. No throws. Bummer.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) February 27, 2016
This was one of the more unfortunate notes about the day. I don’t think it will cost Jones that much in the long run. But it maybe does raise the importance of his pro day a bit.

QUOTABLE

“Yeah, I think you could take the whole Ohio State defense, put them on an NFL team, and you can win the Super Bowl like that. For sure.”
—Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple

Ok, then.

“I’m a very patient guy. I don’t really -- I get the MO that I like to talk trash. I don’t really talk trash. I speak facts. I just tell you what it is. … If you get one, good -- I gave you one. You didn’t beat me. You know what I mean? So stuff like that. I just do my job. If they’re frustrated, that’s on them.”
—Clemson Cornerback Mckensie Alexander

This is just one of the many great quotes from Mckensie Alexander’s press conference on Saturday. I try to stay out of the prediction business, but I do think it’s safe to say Alexander will have his share of quotable moments once he gets to the league. His Combine presser was an all-timer.

UP NEXT

Media availability is complete, so we’re headed out of Indianapolis today. But Dani Klupenger and I will have a full recap of everything Combine related next week right here on the site.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What amazes me is how many people are listing Hackenburgh as a round 2 pick. The dude was bad. So bad. I wouldn't touch him prior to round 3, maybe 4.