Official Cardinals@Rams Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Never a Schotty knocker, but aren't there things we can do to beat a team blitzing on almost every play? The Cards defense played excellent 'responsibility' football though.

Actually there are things we can do. It's what San Diego did to us all day when we were blitzing the hell out of them. They're called draw plays and screens. We bust out a traditional screen pass every leap year or so. I haven't seen us run a draw play. Maybe I have and just didn't recognize it.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Call some draws and quick hitters and screens and the D changes. BS didn't do that and we were mentioning it in the chatroom.......he kept calling deeper drops for Hill.

And true, deeper drops play into the problem.
However, at some point your O Line has to block.
And that's not Shotty's fault.

TheBunk

Rookie
They let AZ into the red zone one time and stopped that drive from being a TD. What advantage of the situation did they miss out on? Not scoring? Newsflash many games don't see a defensive TD. They held the other team to 4 FG's and you're complaining. It's disingenuous because they just went toe to toe with the team that has the best record in the entire NFL.

If you want to pick on the O for only mustering three points I'm with you but the D did it's job.
I never said they had to score TD's for our god awful offense. Just saying we needed to generate some plays and TO's given the fact that they were on their 3rd string QB. It's what separates the decent teams from the good ones.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And true, deeper drops play into the problem.
However, at some point your O Line has to block.
And that's not Shotty's fault.

Love the avatar and I have a copy of that picture, it's an absolutely wonderful and first class photo.

Yeah sooner or later they have to block.....BUT.....what if they just aren't able to? It happens at times, and it happened last night.

Then the play calling has to adjust, and it didn't get adjusted. What is the Plan B if the main/most important unit, the OL, is struggling? Not having something to "go to" to help is IMO not good coaching.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Love the avatar and I have a copy of that picture, it's an absolutely wonderful and first class photo.

Yeah sooner or later they have to block.....BUT.....what if they just aren't able to? It happens at times, and it happened last night.

Then the play calling has to adjust, and it didn't get adjusted. What is the Plan B if the main/most important unit, the OL, is struggling? Not having something to "go to" to help is IMO not good coaching.

That's true. And we did not do that.
The problem is, the middle of our O Line has too many games like that.
That is a pretty big problem and it needs to be fixed. With a better center and right guard.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Okay. It's taking some time to allow myself to be able to "vent" in a correct way....

First off... Props to the Cards defense. They controlled the game. Our middle of the Oline could not keep them out. And as many have stated..... I think we know where the first few draft choices need to be positions in the middle of it. The Cardinals offense.......it sucked but we knew that. Our D played well enough to win, but we did have a bit more problems w/ the run. But solid job overall.......

Now to the playcalling..... First off, the topic of the "jet-sweep". If you understand the progressions of any play, you understand there is always an alternative play you have when teams overplay to stop it. Lately no one has stopped it, so this was a point of emphasis of the Cards defense. it showed. And Schottenheimer is smart enough to know someone will, thus all of the fakes w/ it last night. I liked the screen to Britt off of the Tavon motion. I had thought about how it would be open and roughly 2 series later they run it........abet on a 2nd and 29 but it did work........ I think using that same thing w/ Bailey would work (as it was pretty plain he [Bailey] isn't the best of blockers.....). Also a double screen to a TE would be a good play to work off that action. Martz showed, the same plays could be run out of different sets and motions and would appear completely different. But just because it worked "last week" is certainly no guarantee it will work this one, especially against a better caliber of defense.......

And the pass protection was weak last night. I would have also liked to see a bit more play action (mostly on 2nd and medium which we did have regularly in the later half of the game). But not for "home runs" but for solid TE routes which they could have caught on the run. Their secondary is too fast for us to try all of the longer passes we did (to our outside receivers). We try to throw too many curls and sit downs to our TEs. Get them moving and make the Cardinals LBs and S make a play in space. They knew where we like to run routes and sat on those locations and waited for us to run into them for Off PI (Obliviously a point of emphasis to the refs but Brucie poo last night.....along w/ his endless weekly whines....) But we didn't adjust. Whether in execution or coaching strategy.

And now to the "man" himself. Mr. Arians, you've had a nice run. It's very apparent you don't think much of our football team. And granted we have dug quite the pit, that we are still trying to escape from. But understand this, we are climbing out.....so while you stand upon the edge and look down and snicker at our struggles, someday soon, we'll be up there on the edge with you and it will be our pleasure to knock you smug condescending ass off your perch. You are a caretaker sir. You were handed good talent and now you act as if you assembled the talent. Your defensive coordinator will move on to his own team and you'll have to stand on your own merits. Some on the defense will follow their leader and you....will have to replace that talent. And we will firmly place you within the bullseye. We are coming. Make no mistake.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's true. And we did not do that.
The problem is, the middle of our O Line has too many games like that.
That is a pretty big problem and it needs to be fixed. With a better center and right guard.

Yup those are two spots that need upgrading and last night further illustrated that eh.

V3

Hall of Fame
AZ played max protect plenty though because they do have a suspect OL and knew they were facing the Rams. So the Rams were at a bit of a disadvantage there much of the night. When Stanton went out they were stacking 8 on the line with one wideout to run the ball sometimes.

The defense IMO should get a foocking night on the town paid for by the O for keeping the Rams in the game. TOP for AZ was 34:24 to the Rams 25.36, which is a "blowout" in terms of possessing the ball. Yet they only got 12 points on 4 FG's and only 274 total yards.

And they should take Hekker with them since he saved their bacon a few times too.
Again, I'm not blaming them at all. They played well overall. That being said, it was their 2nd and 3rd string QB's and while they may have used max protect on many plays, the Rams also brought the house on many plays. I just thought our blitzing should have been better than their max protect. I fully admit that I'm really nitpicking there. I'm just laying all my thoughts out there. I already mentioned my thoughts on the main problems.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I've said that a thousand times too. Just give those games to the teams coming out of a bye, or set the schedule up to give them a bye beforehand. Yes, that means that those teams get two long weeks of prep time, but that's the trade-off if you want Thursday Night Games. Invested in player safety my ass.
Yeah, but that would be logical and show great foresight. We were playing a better opponent, but I don't think one can say that the Rams team that showed up last night was the same one that had been playing the last month. Everything was just off most of the night.

On the bright side we know the answer to the question "How many games do we win with Hill" not many if we're playing above average Ds.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Middle of the week, Blues game going on at the same time, and most importantly, non-stop reports of how the Rams are a "done deal" to LA.

I'm honestly surprised there were that many there.
0-3

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Don't worry, the players aren't going to put an ounce of salt into that tub of crap motherfuckers comments. They'll just pour salt into that tub of crap motherfuckers wounds again next year by knocking out their next man up at QB again.

For the record:
Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton. ALL knocked the freak outta the game by our perennial 8-8 team.

LOVE the fire brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.