Offensive success next year still runs through Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
All this debate about our new TE and WRs and lack of Oline upgrades (in draft) makes me realize that our passing game will continue to be a work in progress and the fastest way towards offensive success will ultimately getting Gurley back to the success he had in 2015.

Here's hoping that Kromer can really do something with the offensive line and a scheme change to more power blocking with a lead blocker coming from either a lineman or a fullback/H-back will be the thing that does it.

Oh, and Gurley gets his head on straight.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually I think it's Goff brother. If he can show an ability to read and adjust at the LOS and make defenses pay for stacking the box against Gurley he's going to go the F off.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
the focus for the rams is goff. i think gurley is already an afterthought.
everybody who thinks we picked sam rogers for gurley should watch rogers.
no way he is a lead block guy. rogers can catch a ball and his other strength is paa protection.

the running game in washington was not good, mcvay dosen't really care about it.
i'm not a huge fan of goff but neither of gurley. gurley was a big part of the problem last season. to me it seems like he has zero vision, sure he isn't worse than a guy like fat rob in washington, but this offense will be pass pass pass.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't disagree that one of Roger's strengths is pass pro but I think it's far more likely that we get Gurley going more than Goff turning it on. Though I admit that each feeds off the other. Goff, if he really will turn into a good QB is probably at least a year away from better than just competent QB play (here's hoping for competent next year) so I still think the success we have next year will be far more heavily weighted to Gurley.

Sustained success beyond just improvement, to say middle of the pack, will definitely have to go through Goff.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
no way he is a lead block guy. rogers can catch a ball and his other strength is paa protection.

the running game in washington was not good, mcvay dosen't really care about it.
i'm not a huge fan of goff but neither of gurley. gurley was a big part of the problem last season. to me it seems like he has zero vision, sure he isn't worse than a guy like fat rob in washington, but this offense will be pass pass pass.

I can guarantee you that I have watched more film on Gurley than anyone else on this board and I'm telling you you're wrong. Watch what happens when he gets decent O-line play and runs more power plays. He has the ability and talent to be the best back in the NFL. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

jap

Legend
Gurley is still the known threat. NFL DC's are not stupid: they know his decline last season was largely due to the failure of the OL. With Kromer reshuffling and refining the big boys up front, the Gurley Express! returns as the bell cow. Jared, who will be unfairly credited with an 0-7 ledger, still has to prove he has the tools to punish the DCs' schemes before the prime attention shifts from the Gurley Man.

It is much as it was in 1999 when Marshall Faulk was the known offensive threat while Kurt Warner was an unknown, unproven NFL talent. DC's clogged the box to prevent Marshall from doing serious damage, leaving Special K free to terrorize the secondary. Likewise, Jared and his reshuffled, refined OL must prove they can take advantage of the extra attention the Express! is receiving.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
Meh.Not really a fan of them either.Probably should have trade Gurley for
a WR.Gettin to where I'm not liking alot of the players on the team. should
have taken a shot at a later round QB.Gonna be a lot of passing goin on
next year.Probably not gonna run the ball much either.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley is still the known threat. NFL DC's are not stupid: they know his decline last season was largely due to the failure of the OL. With Kromer reshuffling and refining the big boys up front, the Gurley Express! returns as the bell cow. Jared, who will be unfairly credited with an 0-7 ledger, still has to prove he has the tools to punish the DCs' schemes before the prime attention shifts from the Gurley Man.

It is much as it was in 1999 when Marshall Faulk was the known offensive threat while Kurt Warner was an unknown, unproven NFL talent. DC's clogged the box to prevent Marshall from doing serious damage, leaving Special K free to terrorize the secondary. Likewise, Jared and his reshuffled, refined OL must prove they can take advantage of the extra attention the Express! is receiving.

Boy, it's like the OROY year didn't happen for the Gurley-man. Lets see how ANY RB does when he is met every single motherfu#$%^ time two yards behind the LOS, and I assure you their results would not be good. Gurley was less confident in himself, and surely the in offensive scheme last year (so were we all). His vision in the open field was stunning in his rookie year, and last year was a one year fluke. You guys should quit drinking that diet soda...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Honestly your opinion of Gurley is fine even if I believe it is completely baseless. I'm not the biggest Goff fan. But Goff is definitely the focal point not because McVay don't care about the running game it's because the defenses are going to suffocate the line of scrimmage out of fear and lack of respect for Goff. So in order to run the offense Goff has to make teams pay for loading the box then you go see Gurley go off and Goff. This is going to be a balanced team when it's all said and done. The first 4 weeks though it's going to be about getting Goff going

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I beg to differ with the OP. The Offense will not depend on Gurley, but on the performance of the OL. It all starts up front. Last year the OL got "schooled" and "punked" by opposing D's not so much because the lacked physicly, but because they were green behind the ears and had no real veteran to help with the "tricks of the trade" stuff that they were clueless to,.and blocking schemes they had never done before. That will all change this season.

I expect growing pains with a completely new starting OL, with only Saffold starting in the same position of the five, and that's not set in stone. Rams OL should be better but they will take time to get continuity.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Boy, it's like the OROY year didn't happen for the Gurley-man. Lets see how ANY RB does when he is met every single motherfu#$%^ time two yards behind the LOS, and I assure you their results would not be good. Gurley was less confident in himself, and surely the in offensive scheme last year (so were we all). His vision in the open field was stunning in his rookie year, and last year was a one year fluke. You guys should quit drinking that diet soda...
The line will be much improved.I'm just glad we didn't waste a
pick on the online this year.This was definitely the year to skip
out.Very weak class.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I've got some concerns with Robinson at RT...I understand the importance of the LT, but it's not like the RT only has to handle a bunch of no-name chumps...My best guess is that Robinson ends up at G or as depth...

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they get Gurley (or another RB) more involved in the passing game. Good teams utilise their RB's in the pass game. Just look at the Super Bowl and offenses like the Saints or Pats.

All rests on Goffs shoulders though. As is the way in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I gotta disagree here bro. Here's a quote from McVay back during his tenure with the Redskins in discussing the old 49ers offense leading up to the infamous Dwight Clark catch to win that pivotal playoff game. The article was posted up and discussed here as well btw.

When the film ends, McVay puts on an old TV copy of the 1981 NFC championship, when Joe Montana and the 49ers defeated the Cowboys on a come-from-behind drive, culminating with The Catch. “Look at them march down the field,” he announces. “People think it’s Joe Montana winning this game. No sir. It’s this [smashmouth run play] ‘18-19 Bob!’ Look at all these extra bodies in the backfield. Here’s ‘18-19 Bob’ again!”

IMO this dude understands the importance of the run game. He brought in an OL coach with a track record of being able to scheme it up, too. The Redskins didn't have Todd Gurley in the backfield. I think he's going to be a damn revelation as soon as that passing game gets rolling, because there's no way teams can play a good pass defense plus shut TG down. All that dude needs is a seam to get some steam and he's gonna torch most defenses.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All this debate about our new TE and WRs and lack of Oline upgrades (in draft) makes me realize that our passing game will continue to be a work in progress and the fastest way towards offensive success will ultimately getting Gurley back to the success he had in 2015.

Here's hoping that Kromer can really do something with the offensive line and a scheme change to more power blocking with a lead blocker coming from either a lineman or a fullback/H-back will be the thing that does it.

Oh, and Gurley gets his head on straight.
Well, I think you may have a good point, and I think McVey/Snead may agree, they did Draft a True FB, and I think a difference-maker in Sam Rogers!
And, in one of his pressers, Coach McVey said that Kromer see's things in the O-Line we have and/or brought in that he feels he can do things with! We'll see!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, I think you may have a good point, and I think McVey/Snead may agree, they did Draft a True FB, and I think a difference-maker in Sam Rogers!
And, in one of his pressers, Coach McVey said that Kromer see's things in the O-Line we have and/or brought in that he feels he can do things with! We'll see!!

Kromer told Snead as well. Going into the draft Kromer liked Jamon Brown,Wichmann,Robinson,better. They still have Saffold who The Rams expect good things from.
The Rams added an all pro type of LT , They really like what John Sullivan brings to the class room. Any Ram fan that doesn't see the improvement in The Offensive Line has not been paying attention. Donnal has 2 years of experience as well. They also have some young depth guys. This is a solid group.

I want go all in with them , but going back to topic on Gurley.He will be a willing blocker. Last year was just a horrible year all around. They seemed to be out coached all the time. (Players did quit on Fisher)

Corey Harkey has been a solid Ram player.last year they waited to give him a contract.He is a local guy. Did stuff for the community & I think got an award for best Ram player for doing so ? He just seems to not show up on the field well.

I think McVay is going to use a FB instead of an H- Back type like Harkey.Harkey does not catch the ball out of the backfield well.Seems awkward moving forward.
I think running play action is a good thing.It keeps teams from cheating. They have to account for the player coming out of the backfield.Will keep a cleaner pocket.
Robinson will do a better job on the edge.I really think Kromer is going to do wonders for him. Big Rob can get to the second level & has a great feel for run blocking . He has good hands but excellent arms.With his long arms he opens up bigger holes. I think the TE position has a lot up & that is McVay's baby.Higbee & Everett might be in sets together .

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I still expect opposing defenses to gameplan in nullifying Gurley. Goff with the right coaching will punish teams that use one-on-one coverage

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The line will be much improved.I'm just glad we didn't waste a
pick on the online this year.This was definitely the year to skip
out.Very weak class.
*flexes...."You lift, bro?"
~Forrest Lamp