Offensive Philosophy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wrstdude

Rookie
http://grantland.com/features/aaron...green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

This is a really good article explaining a lot more in depth what I talked briefly about in the Schottenheimer thread. It illustrates packaged plays and how effective they are at taking what the defense gives. Schottenheimer, to my knowledge, didn't incorporate anything like this in his playbook. Based on reports by players, Schottenheimer's playbook is very similar to what is described in this excerpt:
...former Packers coach Mike Holmgren once said his playbook contained at least 1,500 plays — because on each play each player had a specific job, such as running a post or a slant. As a result, the only way to take advantage of a shifting, evolving defense was to add yet another new play and hope to call it at the right time, in what amounted to an impossibly hard game of rock-paper-scissors.

Whoever the next OC is, I pray that he is an innovator and not tied down by an archaic ethos.

fearsomefour

Legend
Really good read. Thanks for posting it.
Interesting concepts and really make sense.
To run this it would seem an OC would need several things....a QB with a sharp mental game and an accurate passer, WRs that are smart and pros in terms of making reads and decisions based on what is best for the play and probably most importantly an emotional ability to let go of control of some of the offense....he would also have to greatly trust his players.
I would imagine the traditional slant has gone away due to better disguised and more athletic defenses.
I expect the Rams to promote from within, so, I don't expect big changes. But, I like the idea of updating some of the concepts even if that means trimming or simplifying some things....and figuring a way to use Austin.

wrstdude

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really good read. Thanks for posting it.
Interesting concepts and really make sense.
To run this it would seem an OC would need several things....a QB with a sharp mental game and an accurate passer, WRs that are smart and pros in terms of making reads and decisions based on what is best for the play and probably most importantly an emotional ability to let go of control of some of the offense....he would also have to greatly trust his players.
I would imagine the traditional slant has gone away due to better disguised and more athletic defenses.
I expect the Rams to promote from within, so, I don't expect big changes. But, I like the idea of updating some of the concepts even if that means trimming or simplifying some things....and figuring a way to use Austin.

WRT the option routes absolutely. The package plays only require a pre-snap read from the QB. College QBs across the country are running package plays very successfully. I installed some package plays mid season w/ my freshman team this year and had success. They're ridiculously easy.

fearsomefour

Legend
WRT the option routes absolutely. The package plays only require a pre-snap read from the QB. College QBs across the country are running package plays very successfully. I installed some package plays mid season w/ my freshman team this year and had success. They're ridiculously easy.
Thats cool. I guess the QB makes his presnap read, the WR reads the D and hopefully is on the same page....then it is up to the QB to see what option the receiver(s) is taking and quickly deliver an accurate ball, Rogers quick release probably helps in this.
Cool that you are coaching. It is doing a good deed coaching teenagers. If you can manage to get enough that are focused and into it it can be a blast. The last time I coached several years ago it was slightly younger kids, 12-13. We let the QB call some plays, put in some audibles for the QB on some running plays. The great thing is the kid did not abuse it (audible to passes all the time etc) and the kids had fun with it. At that age they can do a lot more with the mental side of the game than most adults give them credit for.
It seems a play book of thousands of plays is just silly no matter the level. By building in these options and limiting the homework (simplifying things in a way) and allowing for flexibility in the offense/plays means OC have to give up some iron fisted control of things....that is a problem for many I would think.
Good job coaching up the kids, keep it up.

wrstdude

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats cool. I guess the QB makes his presnap read, the WR reads the D and hopefully is on the same page....then it is up to the QB to see what option the receiver(s) is taking and quickly deliver an accurate ball, Rogers quick release probably helps in this.
Cool that you are coaching. It is doing a good deed coaching teenagers. If you can manage to get enough that are focused and into it it can be a blast. The last time I coached several years ago it was slightly younger kids, 12-13. We let the QB call some plays, put in some audibles for the QB on some running plays. The great thing is the kid did not abuse it (audible to passes all the time etc) and the kids had fun with it. At that age they can do a lot more with the mental side of the game than most adults give them credit for.
It seems a play book of thousands of plays is just silly no matter the level. By building in these options and limiting the homework (simplifying things in a way) and allowing for flexibility in the offense/plays means OC have to give up some iron fisted control of things....that is a problem for many I would think.
Good job coaching up the kids, keep it up.

Thanks-been coaching high school football since '03 and have run just about every offense under the sun. The package plays have gotten me more excited than any offense I've ever ran. The beauty of the package plays is that there isn't even a need for a verbal audible. The QB just decides what option to take based on his pre-snap read.

The line does the same thing.
The RB does the same thing.
The WRs do the same thing.

You can run the ball and pass to different receivers all while running the exact same play. It's option football on a different level.