Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PrometheusFaulk with some interesting info:

The most important action for an offensive lineman is his first step. The quickness and power with which they take that step often dictates whether they block their guy cleanly, hit him in the wrong spot or whiff completely. Saffold's probably taken that first step with his left leg about 100,000 times in games and in practice. So it's just a big important habit to adjust to. May be the biggest factor in whether guys are successful in transitioning to the other side of the line. Seems simple, but you'd be surprised about how cadywampus that adjustment can make your game.

Hadn't considered that aspect. Always good to learn new stuff. Thanks! :yeh:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
albefree69 said:

The most important action for an offensive lineman is his first step. The quickness and power with which they take that step often dictates whether they block their guy cleanly, hit him in the wrong spot or whiff completely. Saffold's probably taken that first step with his left leg about 100,000 times in games and in practice. So it's just a big important habit to adjust to. May be the biggest factor in whether guys are successful in transitioning to the other side of the line. Seems simple, but you'd be surprised about how cadywampus that adjustment can make your game.

For sure! :bg:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CGI_Ram said:
Personally; most of us are dominate right hand - left hand. Additionally the technique for each side must feel like switch hitting in baseball... its probably not as easy as it sounds.

That said; if you are an athletic big man with a mean streak and willingness to fight... you can learn the mechanics of the position. Being successful at LT (against the more dominate ends) implies he can make the switch to the less demanding side.

I'm sure there is more science to this, such as footwork, etc... that makes one a RT candidate as opposed to LT... but again with success at LT Staffold should make the transition just fine.

I have dug and dug on IF ...Rodger Saffold ever lined up on the Right side of the OL. I can not find any evidence that he has ever played anywhere but the LEFT side since HS. Interesting too is that he was also an instant starter @ OLT in college. Missing very few games over his NCAA career. So it is somewhat skeptical that I read so much from the Spags, Billy & looney era that they would just draft Saffold & he would be a ORT. Thats it..... It's not that unusual to find OLT's who have always been OLT's wonder how many time Jake Long has played ORT?

Saffold never bought into the Right side stuff for a moment he came into camp & pulled off a coup over Jason Smith's regime @ OLT and never gave up the Saffold flag @ OLT until this off season when Snead-Fisher-Boudreau decided that due to Saffold missing 22 parts or full games the last two season due to injury was a very serious issue for them maintaining their climb back up the NFL wining mountain.. I would bet much that one of the off seasons number #1 priories involved the play @ OLT. The OLT must be improved with a player just as good & capable of remaining on the field protecting Sam blindside ....they had seen enough of the Barksdale & Hunters playing @ OLT in 2012 & the 2011 Saffold back ups of Mark Levoir, Goldberg & Kevin Hughes trying to protect Sam when Rodger was often injured. The OLT post has improved when you combo both Jake & Rodger as the team who will be the OLT if one is not up to it.

From just the talent & skill present with Saffold IMO he should be an OUTSTANDING ORT ....IF Saffold wants to be a Right OT. Once again there is no evidence to show he can be other that what we have seen for the last three yrs @ OLT. Now this new side process is underway...I found it interesting that Saffold mentioned Chris Long was working hard with him on the stuff that a LDE does to beat a ORT....that's a positive for me! Long & Saffold went head to head in practice many times when Long played RDE.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'd just like to add that I'm not sure the Ram FO ever saw Saffold as a RT regardless of what they might have said. They new that Smith sucked and when presented with the opportunity to draft his replacement with only a second round pick they grabbed it. They couldn't say that they had drafted Saffold to replace Smith because A) they wanted competition at the position and B) They still had some hope that Smith would work out.

This discussion brings up something that I've heard many, many times. "they can draft him and put him on the right side for a year or so until he's ready to take over the LT position." Is that a statement made by A) idiots B) dreamers or C) knowledgeable experts?

BTW, I'm not talking about the talking heads at ESPN because we can assume they all fit into category A. :lol:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
albefree69 said:
I'd just like to add that I'm not sure the Ram FO ever saw Saffold as a RT regardless of what they might have said. They new that Smith sucked and when presented with the opportunity to draft his replacement with only a second round pick they grabbed it. They couldn't say that they had drafted Saffold to replace Smith because A) they wanted competition at the position and B) They still had some hope that Smith would work out.

This discussion brings up something that I've heard many, many times. "they can draft him and put him on the right side for a year or so until he's ready to take over the LT position." Is that a statement made by A) idiots B) dreamers or C) knowledgeable experts?

BTW, I'm not talking about the talking heads at ESPN because we can assume they all fit into category A. :lol:

Depends on the player. I think that generally assuming that every guy can do it usually shows a lack of understanding of what an offensive lineman does - which to the causal fan sometimes consists of a job descripton of "be big, don't commit penalties."

Some guys can make the switch successfully. Thinking that it's easy is probably using some of the thinking I alluded to above. To paraphrase Ron Washington from Moneyball, it's extremely hard. But it can be done with the right player. Think of it this way, what if all of the sudden all Americans had to drive on the left side of the road. Would it necessarily be the best drivers who would pick it up right away? Or would it just be those with a more ambidextrously adaptable mind? Same kind of principle. It's just that with all the money involved in the NFL, the margin for error is small and patience is thin.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
PrometheusFaulk said:
albefree69 said:

I agree with your first step and quickness point, and not trying to be a curmudgeon, but transitioning to the opposite side is way more of a overall technique issue, if you ask me. If I was just talking about lineman in general, then I could put that much weight on that argument. There are many times a game where a lineman's first step will be with his opposite foot in the running game, and it doesn't matter where they line up. Now, in the passing game, the first step is mostly backward with his outside foot, except in the case of a team overloading the inside. I'm sure that is what you were referring to, the passing game only.

Not trying to muck up your point, it's a good one, but overall technique, and muscle memory will dictate how well he plays. For instance, he will be punching more with a different arm now; the angles will seem/be different; he will be working with someone that he has never worked with before, so communication will be important; almost all of his footwork will seem backwards (caddywampus) to him, as you pointed out; he will be seeing different moves/techniques, and players that he hasn't seen before, and let us not forget that all the line calls will be opposite for him now, so mentally there will be a lot of thinking for Rodger, and that is where I worry the most.

He may have to think about all of the things listed above, and that will slow him down, or could make him miss the snap count, which we have seen him do in times where he was thinking too much.

Again, I just wanted to add to your point. It's a complicated move for some, almost impossible for some, and easy for few. It's kind of like being right handed and having to throw or bat with your left. By the way, switching sides is a problem for a lot more than offensive tackles, even corners have a hard time with it.

I think Rodger will be fine, because I think that he has the pride and work ethic to succeed.

You know, I always wanted to see Jason Smith on the left side, because he never looked right on the right side. He may have been one of those guys that could only play one side.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
DR RAM said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
albefree69 said:

I agree with your first step and quickness point, and not trying to be a curmudgeon, but transitioning to the opposite side is way more of a overall technique issue, if you ask me. If I was just talking about lineman in general, then I could put that much weight on that argument. There are many times a game where a lineman's first step will be with his opposite foot in the running game, and it doesn't matter where they line up. Now, in the passing game, the first step is mostly backward with his outside foot, except in the case of a team overloading the inside. I'm sure that is what you were referring to, the passing game only.

Not trying to muck up your point, it's a good one, but overall technique, and muscle memory will dictate how well he plays. For instance, he will be punching more with a different arm now; the angles will seem/be different; he will be working with someone that he has never worked with before, so communication will be important; almost all of his footwork will seem backwards (caddywampus) to him, as you pointed out; he will be seeing different moves/techniques, and players that he hasn't seen before, and let us not forget that all the line calls will be opposite for him now, so mentally there will be a lot of thinking for Rodger, and that is where I worry the most.

He may have to think about all of the things listed above, and that will slow him down, or could make him miss the snap count, which we have seen him do in times where he was thinking too much.

Again, I just wanted to add to your point. It's a complicated move for some, almost impossible for some, and easy for few. It's kind of like being right handed and having to throw or bat with your left. By the way, switching sides is a problem for a lot more than offensive tackles, even corners have a hard time with it.

I think Rodger will be fine, because I think that he has the pride and work ethic to succeed.

You know, I always wanted to see Jason Smith on the left side, because he never looked right on the right side. He may have been one of those guys that could only play one side.

You're exactly right, my point about the first step was exclusive to pass blocking, and that the reversal of whole body movement (for lack of a better term) is probably more important holistically. You're also right that the ability to make the transition is different for everyone, and a unique skill from other skill sets (just because a player is a good left tackle does not mean that they will necessarily transition to right tackle well, or corner, like you mentioned, d end, reciever, etc).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
PrometheusFaulk said:
DR RAM said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
albefree69 said:

You're exactly right, my point about the first step was exclusive to pass blocking, and that the reversal of whole body movement (for lack of a better term) is probably more important holistically. You're also right that the ability to make the transition is different for everyone, and a unique skill from other skill sets (just because a player is a good left tackle does not mean that they will necessarily transition to right tackle well, or corner, like you mentioned, d end, reciever, etc).

What do you think about Rodger's chances?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
DR RAM said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
DR RAM said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
albefree69 said:

What do you think about Rodger's chances?

No idea man. I'd think that with the walkthroughs they've done in OTAs they may have some indication of how he will handle it, and he's still there so that bodes well. But we'll know more when they get the shells on.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No idea man. I'd think that with the walkthroughs they've done in OTAs they may have some indication of how he will handle it, and he's still there so that bodes well. But we'll know more when they get the shells on.

I remember watching him move at the combine, and part of the reason that I mocked him to us in the 2nd round was that I thought he was a incredibly smooth athlete, and he did really well in the drills where he flopped from one side to the other. Remember, most people were looking at him as a RT for the Rams, although some of the experts thought he might be a guard. I rated him as a player that could play either tackle position. I did not consider him as a guard, although I'm pretty sure that he could play LG at a high level.

I thought he played pretty damn well last year after he got some decent coaching. I thought he digressed in his second year after being coached by Loney.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
DR RAM said:

I remember watching him move at the combine, and part of the reason that I mocked him to us in the 2nd round was that I thought he was a incredibly smooth athlete, and he did really well in the drills where he flopped from one side to the other. Remember, most people were looking at him as a RT for the Rams, although some of the experts thought he might be a guard. I rated him as a player that could play either tackle position. I did not consider him as a guard, although I'm pretty sure that he could play LG at a high level.

I thought he played pretty damn well last year after he got some decent coaching. I thought he digressed in his second year after being coached by Loney.

I thought he played admirably at LT, and there's some room to grow. I don't remember those drills, but that's a good report. Guess we'll see how those skills translate to live action.