Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Jared Cook and Tavon Austin get a lot of love, but Long Dahl Saffold and Wells hold the keys to our success.

The signing of Jake Long was huge. In theory it gave us 2 of the most talented bookend tackles in the league. That's if Long returns to form and Saffold can pick up RT.

Wells was hurt from OTAs through training camp and into the regular season. When he played the line played better. He is great at making line calls. Being healthy will lead to better performance obviously.

Harvey Dahl is a solid RG who we need healthy.

I look for Chris Williams to win the LG spot. He played well in brief duty last year.

If this line can stay healthy and play to the level they are capable of, it can be a potentially great line, one of the better ones in the league. Problem is this line has a pretty extensive injury history.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ain't that the truth. In this case, there's a fine line between having the best line in the league and the worst. All it takes is a couple of [censored] and the whole thing falls apart. Again. Like it has for about the past 6 years. As I said in a different thread. We're due a break on that front. I'd like to collect on that break this year and pass the bad fortune on to Washington.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FRO said:

The signing of Jake Long was huge. In theory it gave us 2 of the most talented bookend tackles in the league. That's if Long returns to form and Saffold can pick up RT.

How long? Not long, (Yes, sir) because "no lie can live forever." (Yes, sir) How long? Not long, (All right. How long) because "you shall reap what you sow." (Yes, sir)"
"How long? Not long, because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." How long? Not long (Not long) because: Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord (Yes sir).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
FRO said:

How long? Not long, (Yes, sir) because "no lie can live forever." (Yes, sir) How long? Not long, (All right. How long) because "you shall reap what you sow." (Yes, sir)"
"How long? Not long, because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
Check out den breakin' out the Dr King speeches.

Now how long before you comment on the O-line? :tooth:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FRO looking at things optimistically:
Jared Cook and Tavon Austin get a lot of love, but Long Dahl Saffold and Wells hold the keys to our success.

Wells was hurt from OTAs through training camp and into the regular season. When he played the line played better. He is great at making line calls. Being healthy will lead to better performance obviously.

I look for Chris Williams to win the LG spot. He played well in brief duty last year.

If this line can stay healthy and play to the level they are capable of, it can be a potentially great line, one of the better ones in the league. Problem is this line has a pretty extensive injury history.

That's a lot of ifs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
X said:
Now how long before you comment on the O-line? :tooth:

Right after the Rams announce the starting LG. :|

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:

That's a lot of ifs.
That's my point. I think this thing can go to the extreme both ways.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FRO confusing me totally:

That's my point. I think this thing can go to the extreme both ways.

That's very Zen.

According to legend, when Buddha was growing old he convened his disciples for an important discourse. And when they gathered and sat down silently, reverently waiting to hear their aging Master speak, the Buddha arose, came forward on the flower-decked platform, looked over his audience of disciples and monks, then bent down and picked up a flower which he raised to the level of his eyes. Then, without uttering a word, he returned to his seat. His followers looked at each other in bewilderment, not understanding the meaning of his silence. Only the venerable FRO serenely smiled at the Master. And the Master smiled back at him and wordlessly bequeathed to him the spiritual meaning of his wordless sermon. And that, according to legend, was the moment Zen was born.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If we are only really talking about one question mark, then I think the line will be fine this year. I believe in Saffold, so that's not a question for me, although it is not a super easy transition for some. Rodg will work even if it is NOT easy for him.

We have plenty of suspects in the line-up to play the LG position, and we have a pretty darn good OL coach. For the first time in many years, I am not worried about the line. Now, I will keep a close eye in the preseason to see how well they work together, and how well they work individually. I do think that the OL will be a priority next year in the draft, especially if we don't re-sign Saffold during this season.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM with his glass almost full:
If we are only really talking about one question mark, then I think the line will be fine this year. I believe in Saffold, so that's not a question for me, although it is not a super easy transition for some. Rodg will work even if it is NOT easy for him.

We have plenty of suspects in the line-up to play the LG position, and we have a pretty darn good OL coach. For the first time in many years, I am not worried about the line. Now, I will keep a close eye in the preseason to see how well they work together, and how well they work individually. I do think that the OL will be a priority next year in the draft, especially if we don't re-sign Saffold during this season.
If your glass is almost empty you might say that we have two XXXXXX prone players at T who probably won't last 8 games. An aging RG and C who are likely to suffer PED related ligament XXXXXXXs. And yeah, we have many lining up for the LG job because we don't have a decent one who we know will win the job. To top that off, we have backups that wouldn't scare anyone.

But other than that we're looking good. :lol:

But that's worst case and I'm counting/hoping on an outcome that's much closer to yours.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
albefree69 said:

If your glass is almost empty you might say that we have two XXXXXX prone players at T who probably won't last 8 games. An aging RG and C who are likely to suffer PED related ligament XXXXXXXs. And yeah, we have many lining up for the LG job because we don't have a decent one who we know will win the job. To top that off, we have backups that wouldn't scare anyone.

But that's worst case and I'm counting/hoping on an outcome that's much closer to yours.

An amusing and partially true assessment I would agree, if I may counter, I would say that Wells' knee issue is nothing new, Snisher knows he's nearing the end of his career - hello Barrett Jones - As for Dalh, just turned 31 I believe, I think you're selling him a little short - Spot on with LG, obviously a position of concern, there's going to be some pretty good pre-season competition, I'll hold out hope that they'll find someone adequate for at least this year. As for the Tackles, well pretty much the success or failure of this offense rests squarely on their shoulders. I feel pretty good both will be up for the task this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:

My glass is almost always full when it comes to the Rams, but NEVER full of shit. This line has a chance, and compared to previous lines, a pretty decent chance, in my, glasses mostly full, perspective.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Health issues aside, I'm not at all worried about our tackles: Long and Saffold provide a top-class pair of bookends if they can stay on the field of play. We have decent depth in Barksdale and Williams, too, while Jones could man either tackle spot in an absolute emergency.

It's the interior of the line which concerns me. Dahl looks to be declining, while Wells isn't getting any younger either. At least we have a ready-made replacement at centre but the guard positions don't look strong.

Looking forward to the 2014 draft, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both first-round selections used to strengthen the o-line (a replacement for Saffold, if he leaves via free agency, and a starting guard), much as the 49ers did in 2010. That didn't work out too badly for them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Flipper_336 said:
Health issues aside, I'm not at all worried about our tackles: Long and Saffold provide a top-class pair of bookends if they can stay on the field of play. We have decent depth in Barksdale and Williams, too, while Jones could man either tackle spot in an absolute emergency.

It's the interior of the line which concerns me. Dahl looks to be declining, while Wells isn't getting any younger either. At least we have a ready-made replacement at centre but the guard positions don't look strong.

Looking forward to the 2014 draft, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both first-round selections used to strengthen the o-line (a replacement for Saffold, if he leaves via free agency, and a starting guard), much as the 49ers did in 2010. That didn't work out too badly for them.
We draft to strengthen groups, one or two groups at a time.

OL just seems the group in line to me.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:

That's a lot of ifs.
Better if's, than not a chance in hell
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This Ram team will be as good as the OL health's permits it to be. Each of the five OL starters have questions. Four of the five have recent medical concerns.

Saffold missed 21 parts or whole regular season games the last two years which mandated him losing his starting OLT post & forcing the Org. the high cost purchase $$ of a NEW OLT UFA Jake Long.

32 yrs old high cost $$$$ center Wells has had 3 back to back rehabbing events on the same leg in less than one year. Not sure about those great OL calls but his blocking was pathetically weak. Its my opinion that the OL blocking did improve when Wells returned but it was due mostly to OLG Turner & OLT Saffold returning to their initial starting positions in week 10.

Jake Long has undergone several rehabbing events. It has been said many times his skills are degrading due to the 10 surgeries on his 28 yr old body.

32 yr old Dahl was IR'd late in 2012 & also has been involved in a off season rehabbing event not sure he has been clear to full contact yet.

Project OLG starter 27 yr old Chris Williams was released early last year from the Bears ....has yet to win a starting post in training camp & pre season in his entire NFL career other than by default.

Top interior reserves Watkins-Smith & Jones have past medical & health issues. Jones has not been cleared yet to fully practice due to Lisfranc Fracture. Watkins was not NFL condition ready in 2012 & suffered an injury & IR'd early. Smith first two NFL seasons 2010 & 2011 were spent on the Texan's IR with a severe bad ankle then he was release when the 2012 season began never playing a down for the Texans.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Long, Saffold, Dahl, and Wells are very good proven players. With good health, this line is damn good.

Long and Dahl have been healthy players in their career. So I expect big things from them.

Saffold is the biggest health wild card in the group.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Flipper_336 said:

I'm guessing this is the same Flipper336 from the Herd.......right?

LesBaker said:
Flipper_336 said:

Looking forward to the 2014 draft, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both first-round selections used to strengthen the o-line (a replacement for Saffold, if he leaves via free agency, and a starting guarmuch as the 49ers did in 2010. That didn't work out too badly for them.

I'm guessing this is the same Flipper336 from the Herd.......right?

Nah, he's just a guy that read all the other boards for the last few months, found them "Cliquey" and not worth his time. I guess my screen name was the only redeeming quality from over there Les. I guess I should be honored <shrug>