Offensive Line Report Preseason Game 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR's Impressions on the Offensive Line

LT: Rodger Saffold looks very good. He's using new technique successfully, and clearly looks like he's added good weight and strength. Saffold's kick slide is quicker and more compact. He's taking better angles to the rushers, and I think the biggest improvement is his leverage. He's bending his knees and his waist, effectively lowering his center of gravity, and he's doing all of this while keeping his head up. By bending at his waist he is able to get his arms on his rusher quicker, beating them to the punch. In pass pro, nobody even sniffed Bradford when Saffold was in the game. Quinn Ojinnaka was the second player to man the LT position and he struggled mightily. Quinn looked like a fish out of water and he neither could handle the bull rush or speed rush of Tamba Hali. He didn't play many plays. Jose Valdez played against the Chiefs second team and surprisingly, he played much better than last week. A problem that I've identified with Valdez is that he has a bad habit of dropping his head. When he does he loses complete track of the pass rusher. Valdez could develop into a decent player, but he just seems like his feet aren't quite good enough, his technique isn't crisp enough, and his strength isn't quite what it needs to be. What Valdez is: The Rams second best left tackle.

LG: Quinn Ojinnaka started at left guard again. He played just OK, but missed another pull block. The backside linebacker shot the gap and made a play. He has to see that. Other than that he played pretty good. Rok Watkins came in for Moose and played most of the rest of the game, into the 4th quarter. It appears to me that they are getting him ready to start there. I would be surprised if he doesn't start at LG against Dallas. Rok had a couple wow blocks in the game, and his mental game is there in my opinion. He does real well at handing off blocks and helping. I didn't notice him missing any assignments, but I watched a lot of film. Hughes got in for some peanuts on the floor, and he played OK, had one really good down field block on a backer, but Hughes days are numbered. He really hasn't had a chance to compete in the preseason, and was moved from tackle to guard mid camp.

C: Robert Turner continues to play very well. Rams fans should feel much more comfortable knowing that if Scott Wells has any setbacks that the Rams should be fine at center. Turner plays with a nice nastiness that I didn't know he had. He really gets after blocks down field and finishes. Turner and Sam seem to work well together with no exchange issues. Turner consistently moves his man, and works great on double teams. It appears as if Wells will play some on Saturday, and the camp report said that Turner did not take any snaps at guard. I think it may be too late to work him in there, and unfortunately for him, he may have lost his chance to start. Tim Barnes and T-Bob Hebert both got a lot of reps at center. Barnes isn't bad, but Turner is much better. I expect both of them to be released when the knife falls.

RG: Harvey Dahl continues to man that position. Nobody should expect that to change. Dahl looks very good, very healthy, nasty, finishing his block and getting down field on the next level. Dahl was involved on most of the plays that sprung Steven Jackson for gains. Bryan Mattison is fighting his butt off to find a job somewhere, even if if it ends up not being here. He couldn't really move his man against the Chiefs first team, but he looked like a starter against the Chiefs second team. On Richardson's TD, Mattison pancaked his man, and that block was just as big as the pulling Rok's was for that TD. Mattison brings some value in his versatility. Nobody else worth mentioning.

RT: Barry Richardson played a very good quarter. He didn't miss any assignments, and had a number of key blocks on running plays. He did get pancaked on the Bradford would be TD to Pettis had Pettis not been interfered with on the play. Bradford still was not touched on this play, it meant nothing. Jason Smith came in the 2nd quarter and played a load of snaps. Smith played much better than last week, night and day difference, but he still missed a couple plays. Smith still hasn't learned how to cut block and missed another one badly. Smith whiffed on one play on pass pro, but the ball got out quick. Smith got stuffed on a 3rd and short that the Rams didn't convert, he actually went backwards. All his other plays were good, and he had a lot of reps. He had a key block on Pead's TD run. His performance overall would have graded out very good, but this was mostly against 2's and 3's. Joe Long came in and played OK, there is not much to mention. He is good at sealing his man. I just didn't really see him get tested. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.

DR's notes:
A lot of the offensive lineman are just getting scraps, because there is some real competition at a couple spots. The coaches are trying to get as much tape as they can to evaluate certain players, like Watkins, Smith, Ojinnaka, and Mattison. It doesn't appear that anyone else is getting a chance to compete for a job in a game environment. I think the Rams are set at guard, there is some quality depth there. At tackle, not so much. Moose didn't play well in his short stint against starters at LT. I don't think that Valdez would be good enough as a starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing him at right tackle to see if he has any versatility. In turn, I'd like to see if either Richardson or Smith could play some left tackle. I don't see any value in keeping 2 right tackle only players on the roster. At this time, my players dressed on game day would be: Saffold, Watkins, Wells, Dahl, Richardson as starters, and Ojinnaka, and Turner as backups. This could change if I see some tackle versatility.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You think they'll consider moving Turner to guard? I've been impressed with him as well.

Edit: Never mind. I just learned how to read lol

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
You think they'll consider moving Turner to guard? I've been impressed with him as well.

Well, Turner has played guard, started some games for the Jets, and just watching him play, he can play guard...no problem. I'd love to see him get some reps, and he might in the last preseason game, but he isn't getting any in practice yet. He will make the roster, will probably be on the active roster.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Well, Turner has played guard, started some games for the Jets, and just watching him play, he can play guard...no problem. I'd love to see him get some reps, and he might in the last preseason game, but he isn't getting any in practice yet. He will make the roster, will probably be on the active roster.

Just throwing this out there... You think Turners lack of reps at OG could be because Schotty is already comfortable with Turners ability to play that position. From their time together in NY. That way all the available reps go toward the guys in the competition.

Still think he needs to get reps there, to at least develop a bit of chemistry, but maybe they're procrastinating.

BTW Good stuff Dr

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Just throwing this out there... You think Turners lack of reps at OG could be because Schotty is already comfortable with Turners ability to play that position. From their time together in NY. That way all the available reps go toward the guys in the competition.

Still think he needs to get reps there, to at least develop a bit of chemistry, but maybe they're procrastinating.

BTW Good stuff Dr
I think that could be part of it, but mainly, because of the reps he HAD to take at center, and other guys needed the reps at guard, it just kinda fell like that. I think the Rams are now comfortable enough at guard to keep Turner at center. I do think Turner will be the first player off the bench if anything happens to our interior line. If I had graded the players in both games, Turner would be grading out very high.

Because of the chemistry, I would like to see him get some reps at both guard positions in the future. I want to see Ojinnaka get more reps at both tackle positions to see if he can be that other guy. This is why I think Rok will take that guard position, because overall it makes the unit much better.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:

BTW Good stuff Dr
I think that could be part of it, but mainly, because of the reps he HAD to take at center, and other guys needed the reps at guard, it just kinda fell like that. I think the Rams are now comfortable enough at guard to keep Turner at center. I do think Turner will be the first player off the bench if anything happens to our interior line. If I had graded the players in both games, Turner would be grading out very high.

Because of the chemistry, I would like to see him get some reps at both guard positions in the future. I want to see Ojinnaka get more reps at both tackle positions to see if he can be that other guy. This is why I think Rok will take that guard position, because overall it makes the unit much better.

Agreed on Rok and Turner. I think we need to be actively scanning the camp cuts for depth at OT, more specifically LT. As far as Im concerned we only have one NFL competent LT.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You think Rok can hold up against Vanden Bosch, Suh/Fairly on week 1?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, Saffold! Glad to see that he's dominating his competition, especially when it's someone as talented as Tamba Hali.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Forgot to add: I hope Wells can play at a high level against Detroit. He went up against that DL the past 2 years so his experience with that should help out a bit.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Yes, and I'm confident in saying that at this point, unless he gets nervous. I need to see him against 1's this week to confirm it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
Yes, and I'm confident in saying that at this point, unless he gets nervous. I need to see him against 1's this week to confirm it.
I've been fairly impressed with Rok over the past couple of preseason games (especially the last one). My question for the doc is basically this: is he only looking good because he's going against twos? Personally, I would like to see him start at LG on Saturday and see what happens. The next week will probably be useless since most teams don't really play anyone in week 4.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If there was any doubt before, it can be discounted. The Dr is in the house when it come to the OL. Great stuff Dr. I feel like I know what we have now. As suspected, we need an OT but I get a good feeling with this coaching staff we can get things to work out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
I've been fairly impressed with Rok over the past couple of preseason games (especially the last one). My question for the doc is basically this: is he only looking good because he's going against twos? Personally, I would like to see him start at LG on Saturday and see what happens. The next week will probably be useless since most teams don't really play anyone in week 4.
He got a little time against the 1's last week. Remember, KC played their 1's longer than we did. But...yeah, I need to see him against the 1's to make sure. I think we will this week, hopefully.