Offensive improvement tracker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm choosing a combination 20 offensive points per game AND 300 yards as a basic yard stick. This would still have our offense firmly below average, BUT - is a marker that we rarely hit in the past 5 years:

2012 - 5 times
2013 - 7 times
2014 - 7 times
2015 - 6 times
2016 - 2 times

I am choosing this because the Rams have, at times, masked bad offense with defense/special teams point contribution.

So far in 2017: 2 times - or the same as all of last year :shocking:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unfortunately it takes until about game 6 to see what you have, and that's where the teams with glaring or too many weaknesses start falling by the wayside. Last year we knew our offense was F'd, granted, since they were epically bad right out the gate, but this year it's going to take more sample size to know what we have.

Right now the offense is averaging 25 ppg, which is respectable and in that playoff range. But the sample size is driven by the Colts' result so we're just gonna have to wait and see.

What's cool here is that my own hopes during preseason were that we'd have a top ten defense and middle of the pack offense in scoring and it's still possible this team meets those metrics. Again it's a small sample size, but our defense is giving up 18 ppg which puts the Rams overall in pretty good range (sub 19 ppg is what I consider playoff caliber defenses).

Sched coming up:

@ Whiners
@ Cowboys
Shecocks
@ Jags

Of those teams coming up only the Cowboys have what I'd consider a playoff offense. So our defense is nicely positioned to string some strong games together through that week 6 window if they can address some issues and get better play going up front.

Defensively, however, 3 of the 4 look stout. Again, it's early, but I'd say that the determining factor on our win/loss record is going to be offensive play. That unit will be strongly challenged through the next four weeks.

jjab360

Legend
If you compare how our offense is doing compared to McVay's first year playcalling with the Skins in 2015, we should be fine. The offense sputtered early but really took off late in the year when they started to gel.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Unfortunately it takes until about game 6 to see what you have, and that's where the teams with glaring or too many weaknesses start falling by the wayside. Last year we knew our offense was F'd, granted, since they were epically bad right out the gate, but this year it's going to take more sample size to know what we have.

Right now the offense is averaging 25 ppg, which is respectable and in that playoff range. But the sample size is driven by the Colts' result so we're just gonna have to wait and see.

What's cool here is that my own hopes during preseason were that we'd have a top ten defense and middle of the pack offense in scoring and it's still possible this team meets those metrics. Again it's a small sample size, but our defense is giving up 18 ppg which puts the Rams overall in pretty good range (sub 19 ppg is what I consider playoff caliber defenses).

Sched coming up:

@ Whiners
@ Cowboys
Shecocks
@ Jags

Of those teams coming up only the Cowboys have what I'd consider a playoff offense. So our defense is nicely positioned to string some strong games together through that week 6 window if they can address some issues and get better play going up front.

Defensively, however, 3 of the 4 look stout. Again, it's early, but I'd say that the determining factor on our win/loss record is going to be offensive play. That unit will be strongly challenged through the next four weeks.
I like our chances going forward over the next 4 weeks, especially after the way Wade's Old "D" unit, in Denver, just took care of the Cowpie's, and the way the Whiner's and the Shecock's looked against each-other! And I think the Jag's proved week #1 was a Fluke!
But we'll see, one game at a time!! Next up Whiner's On Thursday Night Prime Time!!(y);):D

49ers.jpg
49ers (2).jpg

" It's a short week, so might as well start getting pumped-up Now!"

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sched coming up:

@ Whiners
@ Cowboys
Shecocks
@ Jags
Wow....Every one of those games looks tough. What we all should realize is....the Skins did something that is hard to do...They physically beat up a team that is considered physical...In our own house. Every single team listed is also a physical styled team...More than Washington.
I think we need the one game at a time....and our offense isn't clicking on all cylinders....Until Watkins and Tavon....yep I said Tavon Austin....are implemented fully....The key for McVay and Goff is to use these weapons with Gurley, Kupp, and Everett. 3 TD's a game is possible....but not likely.
This is a very tough stretch for our offense....averaging 20 points in the next four weeks looks impossible at this moment. These will be the best defensive teams we've faced all year...and we still don't have an identity. We should...but Gurley & Watkins are not...second nature for Goff.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I'm choosing a combination 20 offensive points per game AND 300 yards as a basic yard stick. This would still have our offense firmly below average, BUT - is a marker that we rarely hit in the past 5 years:

2012 - 5 times
2013 - 7 times
2014 - 7 times
2015 - 6 times
2016 - 2 times

I am choosing this because the Rams have, at times, masked bad offense with defense/special teams point contribution.

So far in 2017: 2 times - or the same as all of last year :shocking:

Nice.

Looks better in percentage form ..

2012 - 31%
2013 - 44%
2014 - 44%
2015 - 37%
2016 - 13%
2017 - 100%

... and GRAPH FORM TOO.
offenseisessentialforscoringpoints.PNG