Offensive holding?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
When I watch Greg Robinson get called for holding, I see him shove the rusher to the ground with an open hand for the most part.

My old school definition of Offensive Holding involved a handful of jersey or the grabbing outside of the core of the rusher's body; shoulder pads, whatever.

I do not understand the calls and the frequency of them on GRob.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what flaw in his technique is apparent to the officiating that I just do not see?

The calls look bogus to me at worst and ticky tack at best.

FRO

Legend
I think you answered your own question. The calls were bogus. Horrible officiating.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
When I watch Greg Robinson get called for holding, I see him shove the rusher to the ground with an open hand for the most part.

My old school definition of Offensive Holding involved a handful of jersey or the grabbing outside of the core of the rusher's body; shoulder pads, whatever.

I do not understand the calls and the frequency of them on GRob.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what flaw in his technique is apparent to the officiating that I just do not see?

The calls look bogus to me at worst and ticky tack at best.

It's his strength, man. He's an absolute manchild, and when he tosses guys like that it appears to be a hold.

Fisher needs to have a talk with the refs about it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If you want to see a real holding foul... watch whoever is "blocking" Quinn on most every play. The refs rarely call it, but you'll see exactly what a holding foul looks like.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Absolutely. 2/3 of the calls on Grob were not holding. Complete BS

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want to see a real holding foul... watch whoever is "blocking" Quinn on most every play. The refs rarely call it, but you'll see exactly what a holding foul looks like.

I hate that.

You watch Quinn and the only way they can slow him down is an arm around his neck.

That's a hold.
Rarely called.
It picked up last year after he got some recognition as a pass rusher.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The refs had an agenda. Freak them. Did you see Langford false start only for it to not get called? Pisses me off.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Refs (and by extension the NFL) looks for the offensive player's hands out side of the frame (i.e. defensive players chest). When their hands are inside the frame, OL get away with a lot. GRob's poor hand placement [outside the defenders frame), his poor balance and raw strength combine give the appearance that he is holding much more than in reality.

I have no idea why the refs do not call the holding of Quinn and to a lesser degree Donald and Long.

Just my opinions from looking at a lot of tape.

TexasRam

Legend
GRob is constantly holding. He could have easily been flagged 30 times this year.

I think the refs were aware of this going in to the bears game, and so this was the game they decided to focus on it and call it.

Move him inside and see if there is anything at all to salvage with this bust of a pick.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
To me, offensive holding and pass interference are so subjective as to be a joke for the most part... I recall at least 2 very blatant non-calls early in that game...I thought: oh great, that sets the tone for the game...Pretty sad when the Minnesota Vaginalbleeders impact another game by whining to the league..Just plain sad, as well as being just plain wrong...The officiating league-wise (not just against the Rams) has become so horrid that it makes them all game changers...That's the last thing they should be...My big vent this year has been that even on the simplest of calls, all the officials have a conference in the middle of the field for a minute or 2...How ridiculous...Wow let's discuss ad nauseum whether it's a false start or off side...Come on clowns, it's not that difficult !!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Orchid is correct. The hands outside the shoulder pads is a questionable location.... It's gonna get called if seen, especially near the play...I think his balance is key also...If he looks awkward, I can just imagine the refs thinks he needs to grab to retain his balance. All are fixable....If he's willing to work.

Personally, G-Rob gets an unfair shake, on the field & in here...The line has done well for the majority of the new players...I believe they'll be much better in 2016....Goff should be ecstatic!!! :sneaky:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
GRob is constantly holding. He could have easily been flagged 30 times this year.

I think the refs were aware of this going in to the bears game, and so this was the game they decided to focus on it and call it.

Move him inside and see if there is anything at all to salvage with this bust of a pick.
GTFO.

First of all, he is still very young and has done fairly well in the toughest position on the O-line. Second, two of the three holding calls were simply bad calls. We definitely see other O-linemen do worse.

GRob's issues can still be corrected and he has all the physical attributes you look for in a LT. Even the great Orlando Pace didn't start until week 7 of his rookie season. And I'm not suggesting that he is on Pace's level - just that year two is not time to label him with the term "bust".

Hell, even if you slide him inside and he works out there, he is not a bust. There have been many 1st round Guards taken lately.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why aren't the refs aware of quinn being constantly held?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Once GRob gets those Brain Farts out of his system (seems to be prone to them currently) we should have a outstanding pair of very young OT's Havenstein/GRob)who have some size to them. On top of that, Snead will have two 2nd yr reserve OLT's in 2016 (Battle/Williams). On the flip side Snead will have two reserve ORT's in 2016 too (Reynolds/Donnal). The future is not all gloom & doom here.;) but the present is :poop:.

It would appear to me that GRob has not learned much of the art of illusion/deception of hiding their inside holds that most many long standing OL'ers get away with on our DE's. I have been hard on GRob on many of my posts this season so I have not been busy glossing over his costly mishaps :palm:but things could change here (y)with Foles no longer hanging out in that pocket flinging away aimlessly:huh:.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I remember correctly there was one play I saw on Sunday that someone on our D line was getting held, the O lineman hand his arms wrapped around our guy "a bear hug" if you will and no flag. Like baseball and the strike zone. It is what is is but call it the same way for both sides each game. Even if it changes from game to game fine, these guys are pros and can adjust to what is being called and what is not. effin refs

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it was a fucking joke watching both Quinn and Donald having an arm wrapped around their neck being put in a fucking choke hold! fuck Triplette that little bitch. half our games are being decided by biased and corrupt fucking refs. yea the offense still sucks but I am seriously convinced is a conspiracy with these refs and whoever else. these plays by our offense and the lack of the defense line being allowed to make plays is determining the outcome of half these games. makes me want to stop watching.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GTFO.

First of all, he is still very young and has done fairly well in the toughest position on the O-line. Second, two of the three holding calls were simply bad calls. We definitely see other O-linemen do worse.

GRob's issues can still be corrected and he has all the physical attributes you look for in a LT. Even the great Orlando Pace didn't start until week 7 of his rookie season. And I'm not suggesting that he is on Pace's level - just that year two is not time to label him with the term "bust".

Hell, even if you slide him inside and he works out there, he is not a bust. There have been many 1st round Guards taken lately.
I was winding up until i saw your response (y)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Fisher spoke about this on his Monday show. Basically the official is in a bad position to determine if it was a pull or push so they assume it's a hold becusd GRob plays for the Rams, any other team and there is no call.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why aren't the refs aware of quinn being constantly held?

I just can't imagine they are not. It's almost as if he is so good and quick to get around them, they are giving the underdog in the match up some leeway to even it out. But there is no way they can't see it unless they are purposely looking the other way.